Are SDP gratuities really double tipping?

Boschmann

Considering there are plenty of 7 day sailings where you can get an inside cabin for $500, with the UBP exactly how much of that do you feel is for the food?

I know many people pay more than that, as did I, but as you get the same amenities & meals in the interior and the balcony, the extra charge can only be attributed to the room.

We had the SDP for four nights which when broken down including the extra gratuity, was less than $20 per dinner.

For our October sailing the SDP was included as well as the UBP, and totally worth the gratuity charge.

I guess everyone's mileage may vary, but we drank & ate enough to feel we definitely made out.

The same level of dining & drinking on shore would have far exceeded what we paid for our cruise.

I thought I read somewhere that the per diem food allocation was around $8. For all food....for the whole day.

So if dinner is $4 of that, and $39 at Cagneys....is still less than Ruth's Chris. (and that costs more in Toronto than Ottawa, I'm guessing).

I saw that thread, don't think it's fair to use what NCL allocates as a per diem allowance in these calculations. I think you have to assign what the meal's retail value is - in my earlier post I called it between an $8-$16 value. We need to compare retail to retail. I don't think Cagney's is comparable to Ruth's Chris, I'd go along with NHL's 50% estimate. So that leaves a typical Cagney's meal at $30.68 (by his calculation), then you have to add the value of the complementary meal you traded for it, so say $12 giving you almost $42. That's a bit over what I would value it, and I would think NHL would also as it's more than 1/2 (it's about 62%), the ratio he gives as his Ruth's Chris vs Cagney's valuation.

All these numbers are speculative and preferences are subjective. All I can say is I don't think that Cagney's meal is worth around $42(pp).

I saw that thread, don't think it's fair to use what NCL allocates as a per diem allowance in these calculations. I think you have to assign what the meal's retail value is - in my earlier post I called it between an $8-$16 value. We need to compare retail to retail. I don't think Cagney's is comparable to Ruth's Chris, I'd go along with NHL's 50% estimate. So that leaves a typical Cagney's meal at $30.68 (by his calculation), then you have to add the value of the complementary meal you traded for it, so say $12 giving you almost $42. That's a bit over what I would value it, and I would think NHL would also as it's more than 1/2 (it's about 62%), the ratio he gives as his Ruth's Chris vs Cagney's valuation.

All these numbers are speculative and preferences are subjective. All I can say is I don't think that Cagney's meal is worth around $42(pp).

Thanks, but I'm a she!!

I think Cagney's is worth about 50% of what Ruth's Chris is worth and this is based on what I would order, many would order much, much more, but then it would also be much, much more at Ruth's Chris.

I personally like the a la carte pricing, because it would be less for me than the fixed price (based on me only ordering the 5oz filet, not the 8oz that I used for comparisons sake)....$26 versus the old fixed price of $30. One thing folks have to remember is if they purchase the 3 meal SDP, the average meal with tips is less than $24 and with the 7 meal SDP, the average meal with tips is a few cents over $20.

Considering there are plenty of 7 day sailings where you can get an inside cabin for $500, with the UBP exactly how much of that do you feel is for the food?

I know many people pay more than that, as did I, but as you get the same amenities & meals in the interior and the balcony, the extra charge can only be attributed to the room.

We had the SDP for four nights which when broken down including the extra gratuity, was less than $20 per dinner.

For our October sailing the SDP was included as well as the UBP, and totally worth the gratuity charge.

I guess everyone's mileage may vary, but we drank & ate enough to feel we definitely made out.

The same level of dining & drinking on shore would have far exceeded what we paid for our cruise.

Yes, the promos are a good deal. But this is what I'm talking about. The SDP is now a great value at $80+. Two steps forward, one step back.

Thanks, but I'm a she!!

I think Cagney's is worth about 50% of what Ruth's Chris is worth and this is based on what I would order, many would order much, much more, but then it would also be much, much more at Ruth's Chris.

I personally like the a la carte pricing, because it would be less for me than the fixed price (based on me only ordering the 5oz filet, not the 8oz that I used for comparisons sake)....$26 versus the old fixed price of $30. One thing folks have to remember is if they purchase the 3 meal SDP, the average meal with tips is less than $24 and with the 7 meal SDP, the average meal with tips is a few cents over $20.

Apologies for my lack of gender neutrality. I do agree the a la carte prices are better for lighter eaters vs the SDP and definitely over covers.

Apologies for my lack of gender neutrality. I do agree the a la carte prices are better for lighter eaters vs the SDP and definitely over covers.
Funny how we don't know if posters are he's or she's. There is a thread asking who books the cruises and in reading some of the posts, there were a bunch that I had there gender wrong!! LOL!!

I actually think the SDP is the best deal, then a la carte pricing. I only eat in the specialty restaurants, so I have always gotten the UDP and will get the SDP in the future, whether it be a perk or I have to pay for it, as $20 a meal is a real deal in the restaurants, especially Cagney's and the Teppanyaki restaurant.

Funny how we don't know if posters are he's or she's. There is a thread asking who books the cruises and in reading some of the posts, there were a bunch that I had there gender wrong!! LOL!!

I actually think the SDP is the best deal, then a la carte pricing. I only eat in the specialty restaurants, so I have always gotten the UDP and will get the SDP in the future, whether it be a perk or I have to pay for it, as $20 a meal is a real deal in the restaurants, especially Cagney's and the Teppanyaki restaurant.

Same here on the gender thing.

I think that was the point of a la carte (and earlier the UDP) pricing. It worked on me, years ago I thought specialties were not worth the cover and I was okay with the complementary, now I told my brother (3rd in room) to buy the SDP as it's the better deal. Maybe it's all in my mind, but I don't think my tastes have changed since then.

The cost of the specialty is $25 + the inherent value of your 1 MDR meal, and the cost of service in the specialty is 1 meal-share of your DSC + 18% of the $25 cover (or equivalent a la carte costs).

I was more inclined to sort of turn my head and accept specious reasoning when the covers were $10, $20 range. Specialty now costs as much ore more than equivalent on land and the simple fact of the matter is you are charged twice for service but only using the service once. Whenever I pay two separate charges but can only use something once, to me that is doubling. That's my reasoning behind it. You see it differently, that's okay too.

There are often base pricings that are paid for even though we don't specifically use the services.

For example, we pay property taxes that include school taxes even though we don't utilize the school system any longer or even at all.

Penny pincher demographics are a reality, and are pretty much based on age, yet the truth is that the one size does not fit all. We have to accept and be content that not every day and every 'deal' on the planet is tilted in 'our' favor.

There are often base pricings that are paid for even though we don't specifically use the services.

For example, we pay property taxes that include school taxes even though we don't utilize the school system any longer or even at all.

Penny pincher demographics are a reality, and are pretty much based on age, yet the truth is that the one size does not fit all. We have to accept and be content that not every day and every 'deal' on the planet is tilted in 'our' favor.

talk about opening a can of worms

Ive seen very young couples with multiple kids remove some of the tips for half the kids.

ive seen oriental people removing tips

Ive seen some older even removing tips

so should i conclude if you are very young, oriental (sorry seen them a lot removing tips) or very old, you are a penny pincher?

or is it some from every group, middle aged, nationality etc.

Sorry, i think its up to every individual, i dont remeove tips...but i never read anyone claim they KNEW removing tips was age based. hahahahahaha. I see CC hasnt changed during my absence

Edited by firefly333

talk about opening a can of worms

Ive seen very young couples with multiple kids remove some of the tips for half the kids.

ive seen oriental people removing tips

Ive seen some older even removing tips

so should i conclude if you are very young, oriental (sorry seen them a lot removing tips) or very old, you are a penny pincher?

or is it some from every group, middle aged, nationality etc.

Sorry, i think its up to every individual, i dont remeove tips...but i never read anyone claim they KNEW removing tips was age based. hahahahahaha. I see CC hasnt changed during my absence

I read this as you have seen this tip removal happening. How can you tell that this is what is occurring?

gary

Let me first start by saying please don't turn this into a DSC argument. I have only interest in one small aspect of the SDP.

Last cruise in November I had UBP with paid gratiuties so did not think about this much. Others had SDP or UDP and were forced to pay 18% and I saw a few posters state they felt they were essentially paying double dining room tips because the DSC covers dining staff already. I am now booked on another cruise and paid $13.32 gratuities for each person's SDP. At first I planned to go back and adjust the DSC this amount after the cruise, it actually came to almost $80 for the six of us.

After seeing the roll out of the a la carte menu pricing I am tending to reverse my thinking. When I looked at it from the set dollar amount per meal point of view it seemed like double tipping, when I now look at the a la carte pricing it appears the items are discounted, taking into account you already have a complimentary dining option (with a portion of DSC for servers). If that is the case I have to feel the SDP's 18% is only a gratuity on the added value of the SDP, therefore the DSC should remain untouched.

Not wanting comments as to whether the DSC or 18% on SDP is right or wrong, but does thinking of it this way make sense? The basic question is does the a la carte pricing show the specialty restaurants are discounted indicating SDP is an up charge, or indicate you are paying full price, therefore double tipping?

I had the specialty dining for 7 nights so I removed my DSC and used cash for breakfast , lunch and the cabin steward. I believe it is double tipping.

The cruise companies should just do what the all inclusive resorts do and it would put an end to all this confusion and what in some cases is simply just trying to save a buck.

If they just included DSC/gratuities, call it whatever you want, in the price of the cruise and told everyone that gratuities were included in their trip then that would be that, end of story. Tip extra if you'd like or dont tip anything.

This way those of us that want to tip extra will do it, and those who dont want to tip more than is already included dont have to.

But unfortunately, similar to the vegas hotels who charge an absurd $25-$35 a night resort fee on top of the room rate, simply so they can advertise a lower room rate, the cruise companies like being able to show a lower cruise price rather than work the DSC/gratuity into the fare.

i've only read the 1st post of the thread, but since double dipping was mentioned i had a question:

since haven gets SDP free, i'm assuming you dont actually lay down tip in the restaurant but i wanted to be sure. i believe that 'would' be double dipping. :D

i've only read the 1st post of the thread, but since double dipping was mentioned i had a question:

since haven gets SDP free, i'm assuming you dont actually lay down tip in the restaurant but i wanted to be sure. i believe that 'would' be double dipping. :D

Some do and some don't; but it is not expected. When I receive the dining package as a perk, I always leave a tip - $5 per person at the specialty restaurants.