Diabetes Medicine

Dave4120

Hello...not sure where to post this question.

Having recently been using diabetes supplies, I have no knowledge of what I need to do to ensure a smooth airport experience.

Do I just pack my needles, insulin and other supplies in a carry-on then show the screeners at the airport?

Do I need a letter from my Doctor that says I need these at all times during my trip.

I'm sure there are other things or procedures I'm not thinking of.

Any help you can provide would be welcome.

Dave

I don't have diabetes but have read here and on the ships many times to ask for a 'sharps container' from your steward so you can safely dispose of your needles after using them.

My steward saw the supplies on the bathroom counter and when we came back from dinner there was a disposable container.

Most Cruise lines now need a doctors note to say you are carrying needles for medical reasons, some airlines now also need it to be less than a year old. It is easy to get from the doctor but you will have to pay for it. Cruise line last year told me I needed a more up to date copy.

If one is flying, one must put his insulin in the clear one quart plastic bag for the benefit of the TSA twinkies. Put syringes and all other non-liquid medications in your carry-on bag.

DW once packed her meds in her checked bag when going to Hawaii. Due to miss connections, her bag went to LA and we went to Honolulu. It took five days to get her meds back in hand.

Doc

I've never needed a note or any other info regarding traveling with diabetes meds that I've flown/cruised with for a good number of years. Put your insulin and syringes in a baggie, and pack that in your carry-on. As been posted, simply ask your cabin attendant for a sharps container. Once that one is full, s/he will replace that one with a new one. It just ain't no big deal.:). Remember, your "working" bottle of insulin does not need to be refrigerated. If you decide to take along an extra bottle, place that one in your cabin chiller (otherwise known as a refrigerator - tho it doesn't keep contents that cold), don't forget the extra bottle when you pack at the end of your cruise.

Edited by Treven

Hello...not sure where to post this question.

Having recently been using diabetes supplies, I have no knowledge of what I need to do to ensure a smooth airport experience.

Do I just pack my needles, insulin and other supplies in a carry-on then show the screeners at the airport?

Do I need a letter from my Doctor that says I need these at all times during my trip.

I'm sure there are other things or procedures I'm not thinking of.

Any help you can provide would be welcome.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have been an insulin using diabetic for many years and I have flown and cruised lots of times.

Travelling as a diabetic is certainly nothing to worry about, security people are very used to diabetics and their paraphernalia. When flying keep all medicines with you, when going through security at airports put any insulin in one of the plastic bags or tell the agent that it is in your carry on (I have done both without any problem).

Never had to produce a letter from my doctor.

Your room attendant will be able to provide you with a sharps container, they cannot be just thrown in the rubbish bin as they are hazardous waste. A "Safe Clip" can be useful for cutting the tips of needles off, they don't cost much and are usually available from your local pharmacy.

Hope this helps

Pete

Thanks for all of the replies. I have two pens that the screw the needles onto. One is my insulin and the other is this Victosa stuff. Then I have a bottle of these glucose tablets. I should be OK after reading your helpful comments.

Dave

Dave, I too have one of the quick acting insulin pens for before meal injections. This is in addition to a long lasting insulin which I fill syringes with and then inject. Like bottles of insulin, the pen you are using doesn't need to be kept cold, but additional pens, a supply, does need refrigeration. I assume you'll be taking more than one pen, depending on the length of your cruise and the number of units for each injection.

Edited by Treven

Most Cruise lines now need a doctors note to say you are carrying needles for medical reasons, some airlines now also need it to be less than a year old. It is easy to get from the doctor but you will have to pay for it. Cruise line last year told me I needed a more up to date copy.

I've never heard of anyone having to pay for a doctor's note regarding their medical condition or medications.

I note you list UK as home. Is that the rule in your country? Doctors charge to write a medical note?

Never have had to show anything anywhere in the world I've traveled. Carry on always. Airlines nor cruise lines have never asked for anything. They well know what diabetic supplies are. Other meds and needles are a different story.

If one is flying, one must put his insulin in the clear one quart plastic bag for the benefit of the TSA twinkies. Put syringes and all other non-liquid medications in your carry-on bag.

DW once packed her meds in her checked bag when going to Hawaii. Due to miss connections, her bag went to LA and we went to Honolulu. It took five days to get her meds back in hand.

Doc

It can be in it's own bag, it does not have to go with the other liquids.

I've never heard of anyone having to pay for a doctor's note regarding their medical condition or medications.

I note you list UK as home. Is that the rule in your country? Doctors charge to write a medical note?

Hi sail7seas,

I am from the UK, as this type of letter is classed as private medicine needs it isn't part of our National Health Service so doctors can charge for it. My doctor would charge up to £30 for it.

When I have mentioned this is previous posts of mine I have had replies from doctors in the USA who have stated they wouldn't charge for it.

For info.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

If you use the pens the needles recap very easily and can just be thrown away most of the time. If not, the steward can bring you a sharps disposal or you can put the capped needles in a plastic baggie and bring them to the medical bay on the last night. I have never needed note to fly or cruise with my insulin or Victoza. Also, find a good travel case and in IMO don't buy the Friyo one for Victoza. It does not keep the medicine very cold. Insulin pens only have to be cold before you use it, so it is easy to stick on a bag for a late night. Good luck; I have been to Iceland and the Euopean continent (as well as cruises) on diabetes injectables and no note; it is not a problem. Trying to avoid cake, a problem.

Husband is t1 diabetic who uses new fast acting insulin pens.

He always carries his supplies in his carry on for planes and ships. All standard pens and bottles are under the 50ml that airports require.

Cruises give you sharps containers but insulin (whether in bottles or pens) can be kept out of the fridge for up to a month if not near a radiator or baking hot sun. This is what the doctor and nurse told my husband.

You can buy medicine cool bags for the beach etc on Amazon.

Dave,

In the USA, TSA (US airport security) normally doesn't want to see medication. You will not need to take it out of your carryon at all. If the x-ray person finds it unusual, they will ask to open your carryon, but most of the time, they will know what it is and not bother you.

ONE OTHER IMPORTANT TIP:

It is always smart to pack some diabetes appropriate individually packaged snacks (such as protein bars) and keep these in your carryon in case of an unforeseen travel delay or in case something happens like what happened with the NCL Sky a few weeks back - they had a security issue at the Pier and actually had to debark everyone and carry out a full search of the ship with law enforcement. People were waiting in the cruise terminal for around 5-6 hours until the search was finally over. NCL brought some sandwiches out, BUT, people grabbed them up so quickly, most did not get a chance to get one. In fact, some people called to order pizza which was delivered to the cruise terminal.

I have been a T1 for over 20 years and have never had an issue. I now war a pump and a CGM and neither the pump or my CGM sensor (when worn) can go through X-Ray or metal detectors. So I now have to do the "Opt Out" and get a pat down. Previous to the pump the only question I ever got was from a TSA agent who saw the new glucose meter I just got during a random hand inspection of my carry on. He wanted to know if I liked it as he was considering getting the same model.

If I travel for any extended time I take twice the amount of insulin I should require "just in case." This will not fit in a quart bag, and the TSA could not possibly care less.

Have a great cruise!