First RCL cruise questions!!

CityChickCruising

Hello! :)

This is my family's first time going on a RCL cruise (my mom, sister, and I have been on one Carnival prior to this) and we had some questions. we are sailing on the Jewel of the Seas on March 6th. We depart from San Juan, have 1 day at sea, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Antigua, Saint Croix, and Saint Maarten.

1. people always reference eating in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. should we do that, or is the windjammer just as good?

2. for those who have gotten the beverage packages- what's the big difference between premium and ultimate? if we have 3 of age people on board, how many packages should we buy?

3. how is getting off at the ports? are the lines very long? my youngest brother (14) is autistic and my parents are a bit nervous about the lines when we're waiting to get off. if there's a time where lines aren't as long it'd be awesome to know.

4. clothing? how many smart casual/formal outfits should we bring. for the men, how fancy do you get? I know they say suits online, but I'd love to know how people who actually are on the ship dress.

5. getting on the ship-- we are arriving the day prior to the ship's departure and are wondering how to handle this. I see answers all over the board. should we spend the day in san juan then get on the ship? should we get on the ship early? will we get food on the ship, and where? it leaves at 8pm.

6. anything else you think I need to know? tips? beaches you liked?

thanks so much :)

Edited by rikkimiller

1) Windjammer is good, IMO. However, I will say the MDR is much less crowded and easier to do during those times.

2) I haven't done the beverage package. Which one you get and how many depends on how many you think you'll have in a day, and whether or not you'll break even as far as costs per day.

3) Some ports are longer wait times than others, but I don't recall waiting long at any port.

4) For 7 day cruise, there's 2 formal nights. How formal you want to get is up to you. Some people dress up, some people don't. Most do.

5) Personally, most people get on the ship ASAP, and I understand that. On my next cruise, I'll wait a few hours to avoid the massive herd that occurs in the first hour or 2. I arrived in San Juan on the same day as cruise departure as well. If you're arriving very early, I'd explore San Juan, if you only have a coupe hours, I'd wait to board.

6) I took Adventure out of San Juan back in 2002, completely different itinerary - so I can't help you there. I'd love to read your opinion after you get back though!

With regards to your question about the difference in beverage packages, Ultimate includes sparkling water, fresh juices (like fresh-squeezed orange juice at breakfast instead of orange juice from concentrate), and premium coffee & tea (so lattes, mochas, cappuccinos, etc) while Premium doesn't. Both cover fountain soda, bottled water, beer, wine by the glass, and cocktails.

As for eating breakfast and lunch in the MDR, my wife and I prefer breakfast in the MDR when we have the time - unlike Windjammer the items are cooked to order and there's waiter service, so we do like that as opposed to having to find a table and schlep a tray to and from the buffet. As for lunch, the MDR only serves lunch on sea days, so keep that in mind.

Edited by garnetpalmetto

1) Windjammer is good, IMO. However, I will say the MDR is much less crowded and easier to do during those times.

2) I haven't done the beverage package. Which one you get and how many depends on how many you think you'll have in a day, and whether or not you'll break even as far as costs per day.

3) Some ports are longer wait times than others, but I don't recall waiting long at any port.

4) For 7 day cruise, there's 2 formal nights. How formal you want to get is up to you. Some people dress up, some people don't. Most do.

5) Personally, most people get on the ship ASAP, and I understand that. On my next cruise, I'll wait a few hours to avoid the massive herd that occurs in the first hour or 2. I arrived in San Juan on the same day as cruise departure as well. If you're arriving very early, I'd explore San Juan, if you only have a coupe hours, I'd wait to board.

6) I took Adventure out of San Juan back in 2002, completely different itinerary - so I can't help you there. I'd love to read your opinion after you get back though!

thank you so much for your help! I will definitely post one I'm back, I cannot wait!

With regards to your question about the difference in beverage packages, Ultimate includes sparkling water, fresh juices (like fresh-squeezed orange juice at breakfast instead of orange juice from concentrate), and premium coffee & tea (so lattes, mochas, cappuccinos, etc) while Premium doesn't. Both cover fountain soda, bottled water, beer, wine by the glass, and cocktails.

As for eating breakfast and lunch in the MDR, my wife and I prefer breakfast in the MDR when we have the time - unlike Windjammer the items are cooked to order and there's waiter service, so we do like that as opposed to having to find a table and schlep a tray to and from the buffet. As for lunch, the MDR only serves lunch on sea days, so keep that in mind.

premium it is :) thanks so much for clarifying that for me. and I will definitely try out the MDR for breakfast, it sounds right up my dad's alley with the way you described it. thank you!!!!

Edited by rikkimiller

There's other places to grab a bite too. Part of the beauty of cruising is figuring out what works for you! :)

premium it is :) thanks so much for clarifying that for me. and I will definitely try out the MDR for breakfast, it sounds right up my dad's alley with the way you described it. thank you!!!!

Welcome to cruise critic. What ship, date and itinerary ? I'll sprinkle a few comments in red below.

This is my family's first time going on a RCL cruise (my mom, sister, and I have been on one Carnival prior to this) and we had some questions. we are sailing on the Jewel of the Seas on March 6th. We depart from San Juan, have 1 day at sea, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Antigua, Saint Croix, and Saint Maarten.

1. people always reference eating in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. should we do that, or is the windjammer just as good?Try both! The MDR is a pleasant last day tradition for us, less hectic. I don't think they open for in the morning or lunch on most port days.

2. for those who have gotten the beverage packages- what's the big difference between premium and ultimate? if we have 3 of age people on board, how many packages should we buy?

3. how is getting off at the ports? are the lines very long? my youngest brother (14) is autistic and my parents are a bit nervous about the lines when we're waiting to get off. if there's a time where lines aren't as long it'd be awesome to know.It's going to depend on the size of the ship and if its a tender or docking port. On a related note google AUTISM AT SEA. I noticed my next cruise is an officially sponsored by this group.

4. clothing? how many smart casual/formal outfits should we bring. for the men, how fancy do you get? I know they say suits online, but I'd love to know how people who actually are on the ship dress.How long of a cruise. We still go to formal night, but we have toned it down over the years. For a 7 day my wife will pack 2 different dresses. I'll pack the same white shirt and black tie. We are good at traveling light. We have no more need for family photos.

5. getting on the ship-- we are arriving the day prior to the ship's departure and are wondering how to handle this. I see answers all over the board. should we spend the day in san juan then get on the ship? should we get on the ship early? will we get food on the ship, and where? it leaves at 8pm.

6. anything else you think I need to know? tips? beaches you liked? Ah, your sailing from San Juan. Many people get there they day or two ahead and tour the area. On our last cruise from San Juan we got on teh ship at 11am and intend to do so again.

One suggestion.

I would be sure to post additional question about RCI on the RCI Cruise Line Board.

Keith

Also if you tell us the sail date we can point you to a roll call thread for people who are on the same cruise as you.

Welcome to cruise critic. What ship, date and itinerary ? I'll sprinkle a few comments in red below.

thanks so much for your answers! we will be on the Jewel of the Seas, March 6 2016. It's a 7 day cruise with one day at sea, Barbados, Saint Lucia, Saint Maarten, Saint Croix, and Antigua :)

You'll be as seasoned as the rest of us before too long! As for other tips - I recommend packing cubes, as this'll maximize your suitcase and make the most use of the space. It's only $30. There's a great book called "The Cruise Addict's Wife," which you can find on Amazon - most first time cruisers have a "I wish I knew that beforehand" list when they get off the ship, that book will help. I don't know who wrote the book, but it's a fun read! Oh, you might want to check out "Meet and Mingle" and "Roll Call" to meet other people who are going on your cruise as well.

I'm not a fan of the buffet, so we eat ALL breakfasts in the dining room...where you're served, and don't have to search for syrup or jam while your food get cold...or juggle plates, utensils, drinks while looking for a table!

Room service is an ok option, if you only want pastries or stuff like that...unless you're in a full suite with a dining table, there's no comfy place to eat a full meal in a cabin!

You'll be as seasoned as the rest of us before too long! As for other tips - I recommend packing cubes, as this'll maximize your suitcase and make the most use of the space. It's only $30. There's a great book called "The Cruise Addict's Wife," which you can find on Amazon - most first time cruisers have a "I wish I knew that beforehand" list when they get off the ship, that book will help. I don't know who wrote the book, but it's a fun read! Oh, you might want to check out "Meet and Mingle" and "Roll Call" to meet other people who are going on your cruise as well.

just let mom know to stock up on packing cubes, thank you so much for the useful information!!!! :) I just signed up for the meet and mingle and roll call, thank you!!

1. people always reference eating in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. should we do that, or is the windjammer just as good?

3. how is getting off at the ports? are the lines very long? my youngest brother (14) is autistic and my parents are a bit nervous about the lines when we're waiting to get off. if there's a time where lines aren't as long it'd be awesome to know. It depends, but if you're not needing to get off ASAP for an excursion, wait about an hour after people begin getting off and you shouldn't have a line.

4. clothing? how many smart casual/formal outfits should we bring. for the men, how fancy do you get? I know they say suits online, but I'd love to know how people who actually are on the ship dress. No need to dress up-hubby wears dress shorts and collared shirt & I wear dressy capri's & a nice top.

5. getting on the ship-- we are arriving the day prior to the ship's departure and are wondering how to handle this. I see answers all over the board. should we spend the day in san juan then get on the ship? should we get on the ship early? will we get food on the ship, and where? it leaves at 8pm. We love SJ, so when we've left out of there, we arrive early & check-in, drop our stuff in our room (after we can get in) and then go back out into SJ. We usually eat dinner off the ship that evening, just because we know we will get the ship's food all week.

6. anything else you think I need to know? tips? beaches you liked?

As far as beaches, you'll have to share more info.......what kind of beach you're looking for, food, facilities, snorkeling, etc.

As far as beaches, you'll have to share more info.......what kind of beach you're looking for, food, facilities, snorkeling, etc.

thank you so much for all of that!! very helpful. as far as beaches-- all besides the youngest are 18+, so we're looking for beaches with good drinks. jet skis would be great as well!!