A New Ship on the Drawing Board?

e2011

If Crystal Cruises falls thru, part of me would rather see DCL rehab the SS United States then add 2 more cruise ships. She could do very unique cruises that start and end at different US ports and visit only US ports.

How about land and sea tours from NYC to Port Canaveral? Or California to Hawai? or Seattle to Alaska?

If you look at the SS United States it is clear where the overall look of the the current DCL ships came from.

http://www.ssusc.org/

Having her come back would be like dad coming back home from the war. Especially since Walt sailed on her.

Close. The Disney ships were designed to be reminiscent of the trans-atlantic liners of the past, specifically the RMS Queen Mary that the Walt Disney Corp owned for a while when they bought the Disneyland Hotel from the Jack Wrather estate, and the RMS Mauretania that Eisner was on for her final voyage.

Eisner and other Disney execs including Art Rodney from Crystal who became the first DCL president reviewed dozens of odd and whimsical concept designs before Eisner declared "Go home and make a modern classic." Architect Njal Eide did it, he "out traditioned, tradition", they liked his design and it became the DIsney Magic.

Note the windows on deck 9 are similar in shape and position to the lifeboats of the past. The raked stem, rounded stern and twin funnels are design features of the old ladies.

If Crystal Cruises falls thru, part of me would rather see DCL rehab the SS United States then add 2 more cruise ships. She could do very unique cruises that start and end at different US ports and visit only US ports.

How about land and sea tours from NYC to Port Canaveral? Or California to Hawai? or Seattle to Alaska?

If you look at the SS United States it is clear where the overall look of the the current DCL ships came from.

http://www.ssusc.org/

Having her come back would be like dad coming back home from the war. Especially since Walt sailed on her.

I'd politely counter that DCL are already charging higher than industry prices per Stateroom in peak season, and maybe slightly higher off season, so for verandah Staterooms they are already comparatively priced with high end resorts.

I'd say $9.8k for a midships Stateroom for 4 on the Fantasy in July, or a 1 BR suite with verandah At $23.5k, or Royal suite 12502 selling at $28.6k Aug 27th is beyond high end market.

ex techie

And if DCL is already charging above market rates for their international ships, just think what they would have to charge for a US flag ship! NCL's POA 7 day Hawaii cruise is priced comparably with a foreign flag ship's 12-14 day West Coast RT Hawaii cruise, and NCL has much, much lower fuel consumption on their itinerary.

Who ever redos the SS United States will be charging out of the price range for almost all of us on this board.

I am surprised a middle East Prince didn't buy her to own the ship with the transatlantic cruising speed record and then park her in Monte Carlo.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I think they need to start playing catch up with RCCL, NCL and CCL. The ships those companies are coming out with are amazing. We're heading out on the new CCL Vista in 2016 and 2017. 2016 we're in 2 insides but 2017 we were able to score one of the Havana Cabana suites for an 8 night Southern Caribbean for around 6k for the 4 of us

I can't say I agree. Having sailed on the latest ships of Carnival, NCL, Royal Caribbean, MSC, HAL, Princess, and Celebrity I still give the nod to Disney's DREAM and FANTASY. No they are not perfect, but there is a level of quality and attention to detail I don't see on any other line. I also see plenty of innovation and not nearly as much nickle & diming.

CARNIVAL VISTA is actually based off a 20 year old design (CARNIVAL DESTINY). The same basic layout but VISTA is essentially DESTINY on steroids with lots of extra decks of cabins. Even worse they removed the aft lounge, atrium, and lower level of the show lounge to add more cabins. This is in addition to the extra decks of cabins. So VISTA will be a very high density ship. Less public space and more cabins packing folks in. I already thought CARNIVAL BREEZE felt excessively crowded, and I can't imagine VISTA. I do agree the Cabana Cabins are cool with their private lounge and pool, but I don't consider VISTA to be innovative. Carnival pretty much copies what other cruise lines have already implemented and they have milked a 20 year old design for everything it's worth. I would love to see a truly new, from scratch design from Carnival.