in suite music and port wi-fi

jpfshaw

I assume you mean free (or inexpensive) wifi in the ports.

This REALLY varies by port. Some ports have good wifi right in the terminal. Others you have to go into town to find a hot spot in some restaurant, etc.

Best thing to do is to ask the Crew members as you leave the ship. They rely on wifi to keep in touch with home, so they know where to go. If you see a group of them gathered in an area looking at their devices, you know that you found the place!

If you are in a Neptune Suite most ships have Bose units (bluetooth) in the suites. Pinnacle Suites have a sound system inside and out.

The only other ship provided music in the staterooms would be the information channels on the television.

I remember int the "old days" there was a knob beside the beds that controlled several channels of piped in music.

I remember int the "old days" there was a knob beside the beds that controlled several channels of piped in music.

"Old days" were as recent as 2014 on our 14-day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam. Our knob was turned on accidentally and we couldn't figure out where the music was coming from. A call to the front desk solved the mystery. We'll have to see if the Zaandam has said knobs when we board in April!

"Old days" were as recent as 2014 on our 14-day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam. Our knob was turned on accidentally and we couldn't figure out where the music was coming from. A call to the front desk solved the mystery. We'll have to see if the Zaandam has said knobs when we board in April!

Hence the quotes

Old days in the cruise industry is the 1990's :D

Here's what we use on vacations or on our balcony as we site on our balcony watch you all sail out of Port Everglades during "Cruise Ship Cocktails."

The sound is fantastic for such a small package. We've given them as gifts, and pretty much everyone who has seen and heard this little powerhouse wants one.

It small, 2.4 x 2.1 x 2.3 inches (5.8 x 5.3 x 5.8 cm) and the rechargeable battery gives you 10-12+ hours of playback time. Total weight is under 6 oz. It uses a cord to attach to your device's headphone jack. I happen to prefer that because it works with pretty much anything, even older MP3 players. (You also don't have to mess around with Bluetooth pairing. Not that I'm scared of technology by any means... but an old timey cord connection is simple, reliable, and not subject to interference.)

As an added bonus, it works great as an auxiliary speaker for your smartphone if you use Google Maps or Waze for navigation. The cord is a combo USB recharging cord and 3.5 mm headphone jack. Can't recommend this enough. Great sound, and you don't have to worry about someone stealing something that's only $16.99.

speaker1.jpg

Closed for travel:

It comes in 9 or so different colors. I have the fluorescent green one which is very easy to find in my travel bag of electronic crap. ;)

I paired it with a refurbished 4GB Sandisk MP3 player that I picked up for under $25. The player takes microSD cards, so I put in a 32 GB memory card ($13) and now have about 440 hours of music (@ 192 kbps) that fits in a small mesh storage bag. Speaking of which....

These mesh bags are one of my better geek bag purchases:

They're $7.78 and are great for organizing all your cords and adapters. We use one for the music player and speaker, one for our cell phone chargers, one for our camera accessories, and one for tablet accessories.

Edited by POA1