Princess for families

kaycee17

My soon-to-be 8-year-old just chose a Princess cruise to celebrate his birthday over going to Disneyland. In fact, after this cruise, my kids will earn their Platinum status. We've sailed Disney twice and while they would probably prefer Disney to any other line, they understand we can go on more cruises if we don't do Disney every time. They just like going on cruises. As long as the ship has a kids' club and a pool, mine are good. ;)

Just to be sure, realize that they will not get platinum benefits until they are 18 years old.

Just to be sure, realize that they will not get platinum benefits until they are 18 years old.

This is the one thing about Princess that really annoys me. I think they should, at minimum, get the correct colored card. A kid can certainly buy something in the gift shop and deserves to get that discount too.

This is the one thing about Princess that really annoys me. I think they should, at minimum, get the correct colored card. A kid can certainly buy something in the gift shop and deserves to get that discount too.

Yes, the card color thing really annoys my little ones.

Two summers ago, our family, me, DH, DS and DD, took a Disney cruise to Alaska. We absolutely loved it. I really wanted to do Disney for Northern Europe, but after looking at itineraries and prices, we can't justify Disney. We are currently deciding between Royal Caribbean and Princess. We like the Princess itinerary better (Oslo, Norway instead of Riga, Latvia) and the price and room is better, but I have concerns about the ship (the Regal - it is ginormous!) as well as the Princess line itself. It seems like Princess is geared towards the older crowd and not so much towards families. I don't doubt we will have a wonderful time on either - we will make our own fun and our trip will be more about the sites than the ship. However, it would ease my mind in choosing Princess, which has one more at sea day than Royal Caribbean, to hear about how families spend their time onboard, especially as we will be in Northern Europe and it likely won't be warm enough for the pools. I know it won't be Disney, and I'd like to have appropriate expectations. For reference, my kids are 8 and 10.

Hmm - Regal is pretty similar in size to Dream, except no characters onboard or water slides. Dining is more open, and you won't have to rush through your dinner. Buffet is much better than what you see on Dream. Pools are open, and generally not that cold. Pizza and grill are much better than Disney. But rooms are quite a bit smaller and don't have the double bath.

That itinerary is very port intensive - the onboard time is a break between some very long tour days. Wouldn't even consider Disney for a port-intensive itinerary like the Baltic because you just won't be onboard enough. If you like Kon Tiki consider the Thor Hyerdahl museum in Oslo. Also a great viking museum there.

We took son, DIL, and 5yr old granddaughter on Dream and Fantasy. Not sure we will ever get them (and new second granddaughter) on Princess. Shame because cost is half of Disney and there is plenty to do on a Princess ship. Long cruises tend to be older folks, but shorter cruises have a mix. We even had a 6 year old on a transatlantic 14 day trip. She was up there diving in the pool north of the Arctic Circle, on all the tours, up front for the ice carving, and at every dance party. Very few kids on that cruise, but she seemed to enjoy herself.

Why do you think Disney is almost twice as expensive than other cruise lines. It is a ship and has the Disney name. Royal and NCL have water parks on their ships and great shows, and character breakfasts. I have not sailed Disney nor Princess; I booked Princess because most people say they are the best cruise line for Alaska.

Yes, I know, but their Captain's Circle numbers reflect their status even if they don't receive the benefits. Mostly they don't like that they are stuck with blue cards. They really wanted to have gold ones!

Edited by Melcoug

Why do you think Disney is almost twice as expensive than other cruise lines. It is a ship and has the Disney name. Royal and NCL have water parks on their ships and great shows, and character breakfasts. I have not sailed Disney nor Princess; I booked Princess because most people say they are the best cruise line for Alaska.

I mentally and emotionally struggle with Disney's prices...until I'm on board and then I think it's absolutely worth it (especially if you cruise in the off season when prices are much more reasonable). I don't think there is any aspect of cruising where I wouldn't give a slight edge, or significant edge to Disney. Food, kids club, entertainment, private island, ship activities, cabins, embarkation, debarkation...heck, I even love the bathroom toiletries! The attention to detail in ship decor and cleanliness is truly amazing.

Drink prices are slightly higher, but you can carry on board more than just one bottle of wine, so that offsets it a bit.

We took son, DIL, and 5yr old granddaughter on Dream and Fantasy. Not sure we will ever get them (and new second granddaughter) on Princess. Shame because cost is half of Disney and there is plenty to do on a Princess ship.

This is how I do it. I'm buying so I pick the cruise line. When you pay the bill, you can pick the cruise line. Any questions? For some reason they never turn down a Princess cruise for a non existent Disney cruise.

Works every time.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I mentally and emotionally struggle with Disney's prices...until I'm on board and then I think it's absolutely worth it (especially if you cruise in the off season when prices are much more reasonable). I don't think there is any aspect of cruising where I wouldn't give a slight edge, or significant edge to Disney. Food, kids club, entertainment, private island, ship activities, cabins, embarkation, debarkation...heck, I even love the bathroom toiletries! The attention to detail in ship decor and cleanliness is truly amazing.

Drink prices are slightly higher, but you can carry on board more than just one bottle of wine, so that offsets it a bit.

Thank you for your feedback. We have six grandkids and we pay for their cruise. My son and daughter can't afford it; so my wife and I pay. a few years ago we took everyone on Freedom of the Seas, it was parked right next to Disney in Port Canaveral. Freedom had so much for everyone; plus we took a seven night verses four night cruise for way less money. I do understand what you mean about Disney's attention to detail. Have a great time.

Edited by AF-1

This is how I do it. I'm buying so I pick the cruise line. When you pay the bill, you can pick the cruise line. Any questions? For some reason they never turn down a Princess cruise for a non existent Disney cruise.

Works every time.

I hear you and exactly what my wife and I do. We have six grandkids; they are happy to be on vacation with us. So Emerald Princess to Alaska it is next year

I got hooked on cruising as a child and absolutely loved the Kids' Clubs on Holland America and Princess, neither line being famous for catering to kids. What you get on these lines is very personalized, quality care from youth staff who are usually studying to be teachers.

Agreed. The stuff in Princess kids clubs are wonderful and caring. There are not as many kids, so kiddos get truly personalized attention. MY DS have been sailing Princess since 3 yo (6.5 now and 4 cruises in) and there was not a cruise he didnt love.

Thank you for your feedback. We have six grandkids and we pay for their cruise. My son and daughter can't afford it; so my wife and I pay. a few years ago we took everyone on Freedom of the Seas, it was parked right next to Disney in Port Canaveral. Freedom had so much for everyone; plus we took a seven night verses four night cruise for way less money. I do understand what you mean about Disney's attention to detail. Have a great time.

I really do think it's worth the splurge if you can find a good deal. Many people take the kids out of school for a week to make it more affordable. You can order a DVD to learn more about what a Disney cruise is like. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruise-planning-tools/?CMP=SAC-DCLCMR_ACT_2.22_Facebook%7CFB%7C4163700.CL.DX.01.02

Two summers ago, our family, me, DH, DS and DD, took a Disney cruise to Alaska. We absolutely loved it. I really wanted to do Disney for Northern Europe, but after looking at itineraries and prices, we can't justify Disney. We are currently deciding between Royal Caribbean and Princess. We like the Princess itinerary better (Oslo, Norway instead of Riga, Latvia) and the price and room is better, but I have concerns about the ship (the Regal - it is ginormous!) as well as the Princess line itself. It seems like Princess is geared towards the older crowd and not so much towards families. I don't doubt we will have a wonderful time on either - we will make our own fun and our trip will be more about the sites than the ship. However, it would ease my mind in choosing Princess, which has one more at sea day than Royal Caribbean, to hear about how families spend their time onboard, especially as we will be in Northern Europe and it likely won't be warm enough for the pools. I know it won't be Disney, and I'd like to have appropriate expectations. For reference, my kids are 8 and 10.

Only a few kids Feb.7-14. Lots more Feb.14-21(school vacation)All very well behaved & many far better dressed than their parents!

I really do think it's worth the splurge if you can find a good deal. Many people take the kids out of school for a week to make it more affordable. You can order a DVD to learn more about what a Disney cruise is like. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruise-planning-tools/?CMP=SAC-DCLCMR_ACT_2.22_Facebook%7CFB%7C4163700.CL.DX.01.02

If it's a splurge even with a good deal AND making the kids miss school, I think I'll pass. My bunch is happy with Princess, and we do live close enough to Disneyland to go often, so I think we're set.

Shredie

I agree with you. I too believe Disney has a great product, however; is it that much better than Freedom or Allure of the Seas? Both ships mentioned would be way less money than Disney Cruise.

Edited by AF-1