Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Since you're talking about afternoon tea on Celebrity, I thought I'd share a photo I took in 1994. It was our only Celebrity cruise (so far), and it was on the Meridian. Back then afternoon tea was a buffet spread:

24686772140_386d8f7e3b_z.jpg

Thanks! Nice to step back in time. An afternoon tea to delight the passengers.

I love anything like that which lets the guests feel they are stepping out of their normal everyday world. Ice carving, fruit carved into animal shapes, champagne fountains, line dance lessons and the like are all cruise ship things. Even the goofy Baked Alaska parade. Singing waiters-bring them on.

People waving napkins-ahh, why not, it adds to a sense of community as we are all in the same boat and have all shared a great week on the sea. If you start to remove these things they will be missed and people will hark back to the "good old days". I sailed in the good old days when the ships had little to offer in the way of amenities but the passenger smiles were every bit as big as I see today.

If there was a way to scan my 1986 RCCL brochure without taking the pages apart I would so you could see the amenities and sparse cabins and the 1986 prices (they haven't moved much since). You can get onto any ship these days if you are OK with an inside cabin for a bargain price if you wait until they are desperate to fill the ship. I see $50 a night per person in some instances. That would cover a room at a Red Roof Inn and a meal at Applebees for two. If you can drive to the cruise port that can save an airfare. I live too far away from Florida (note to self).

21 years have passed since your first X cruise. Was it bad?

Norris

Norris,

I was on the same Celebrity cruise with you and posted in that thread. So glad you're doing this comparison. A co-worker got Lockie and me to try cruising in the first place. She loves Princess. My TA is my sister-in-law and she loves Celebrity, hence that was the line we chose to try. We've only cruised Celebrity and my co-worker has never cruised the line. We have some great discussions on how we each need to try each other's line! This thread is truly giving me an understanding of Princess as compared to Celebrity and I thank you!

Bruce

Norris, I'm really enjoying your comparisons. We've taken five Princess cruises, and like the product very much. Unfortunately we had some major problems with our suite on the Caribbean Princess (aft corner on Dolphin) that really had a negative impact on the trip. Like you, we're huge aft fans, but if D737 had been my first aft cabin it would have definitely been my last!:(

We've only taken one Celebrity cruise so far -- Constellation to the Baltics -- and we loved almost everything about it. We have our first Solstice class cruise in just over 2 weeks, on the Equinox. Your review and this comparison are getting me even more excited.

I love your pictures too. I have the same 10-22 mm wide angle lens, and your shots have convinced me I need to take it out of my bag more often!:o I think that's going to be my second lens for our upcoming cruise.

Cindy thanks for joining us here and for the compliments!

What was wrong with D737? I think one of the readers on this board has that cabin booked....We've had the Caribe one above on the Emerald.

You will enjoy your first S Class! Hopefully they have been looking after the lawn better than the Eclipse.

The 10-22mm Ultra Wide lens is my favorite and is on the camera about 90% of the time as I take few people shots/head shots and like to get as much into the frame as possible-essential when photographing ships in port for instance as they are so long. I even do the food photos with that lens and of course the room shots. For sunsets and rises the 55-250 zoom is the one unless there is a lot of cloud lit by color to the sides then it's 10-22 again. I use the zoom for the shows too.

Glad you like the photos. Taking them is a learning process that never stops.

I would not enjoy them as much if I didn't have Lightroom 5 to fix the poor ones.

Cheers!

Norris

Hi Norris,

I've been lurking for the past week and half on your reviews, finally finishing the Rome to Barcelona trip (yes, all 52 pages), and following this one "live". Everything is so well written, and your sense of humor makes me laugh out loud. Which isn't good when I am at the office reading instead of...well, what I should be doing. Your photos are fantastic! We have sailed both the Grand Class and the S ships, and your comparison is RIGHT ON!!! Although its been a few years since we've been on either. We are sailing on the Grand P next January to Hawaii out of San Francisco. Am so looking forward to it, though we will not be in a suite. Your reviews and comparisons are a fantastic way for me to pass the time until we sail! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

BTW--so sorry about your incident in November but am glad they have been caught and pray the justice system will give them what they deserve.

Tracy

Tracy thanks for coming forward and saying hi!

I haven't read the Rome to Barcelona one yet but will do after I finish this one as I have nothing planned beyond this. I'll go back to my Blog. I haven't read the Silhouette one either but it takes so long to write them that I need a break from them once done.

Thanks for the kind compliments! I am happy to see people enjoying my "stuff".

Norris

Norris -

We're Princess aft suiters, too, (Vista, Penthouse, and Owners) who have been toying with the notion of trying X (one of the few primary lines we've not yet done).

Your P/X comparison is EXTREMELY helpful (and enjoyable as are all your reviews).

I hope when you (we) get to the comparison's ending you'll do an extra helpful summary for us all (hint, hint...).

Thanks! Brian

Norris,

I was on the same Celebrity cruise with you and posted in that thread. So glad you're doing this comparison. A co-worker got Lockie and me to try cruising in the first place. She loves Princess. My TA is my sister-in-law and she loves Celebrity, hence that was the line we chose to try. We've only cruised Celebrity and my co-worker has never cruised the line. We have some great discussions on how we each need to try each other's line! This thread is truly giving me an understanding of Princess as compared to Celebrity and I thank you!

Bruce

Bruce, yes hello again! Glad you found this.

There's much to like about Princess otherwise we would have been idiots to sail them 8 times in 4 years. I am glad X people are seeing a lot of PCL and vice versa.We intend to sail both and live happily ever after. We may sail another line-and another...who knows?

Cheers!

Norris

Norris -

We're Princess aft suiters, too, (Vista, Penthouse, and Owners) who have been toying with the notion of trying X (one of the few primary lines we've not yet done).

Your P/X comparison is EXTREMELY helpful (and enjoyable as are all your reviews).

I hope when you (we) get to the comparison's ending you'll do an extra helpful summary for us all (hint, hint...).

Thanks! Brian

Hi Brian, helpful is what I try to be. Everyone should have some idea-other than cruise brochures - of as many ships and lines as possible. I wish that I could compare more than 2 lines. Someone from the HAL board once suggested I sail one of their ships so they could get a review of it, LOL! But we might sail HAL one day.

Carol thinks a TA would be great ( I am not so enthusiastic) but if we did do one I would want to sail the QM2. Not many photo/video reviews of her and I'd be interested in see her service levels first hand. She's a distinctive looking ship whereas the other (QE, QV) two are cookie cutter shoebox with funnels designs like many of the HAL ships.

At our current 14 days annual max on ships I may never get to sail on many ships. It is what it is-until we retire.

If you had my Silhouette review you will want to try X-I am confident of that.

Cheers!

Norris

Norris, now LOOK what you went and made me do.....spending all this time back on the Princess boards and emails from my various TA's has led me to book the Grand! :D Can I forward you the bill? :eek:

Joe you can certainly forward me the bill. It will go in the trash of course.

Where are you going on the Grand? Have you researched her?

Norris

Joe you can certainly forward me the bill. It will go in the trash of course.

Where are you going on the Grand? Have you researched her?

Norris

Hawaii, next year after her yard period and yes I know the Grand Class very well though it has been a few years, looking forward to seeing the changes.....I love we finally have a semi permanent ship within driving distance as we hate flying....

You can get onto any ship these days if you are OK with an inside cabin for a bargain price if you wait until they are desperate to fill the ship. I see $50 a night per person in some instances. That would cover a room at a Red Roof Inn and a meal at Applebees for two. If you can drive to the cruise port that can save an airfare. I live too far away from Florida (note to self).

21 years have passed since your first X cruise. Was it bad?

Norris

Most of our recent cruises have been those fire sale cruises that aren't selling well. Our last two 15 day cruises, one to Hawaii - the other the Panama Canal, we got for $799 for an inside. So that's almost $50 a night. A great deal. We're currently booked on a 10 day Mexican cruise on the Ruby. We got it for $599. Of course the port charges and taxes add a bit to that. But still, bargains can be had.

Our only Celebrity cruise wasn't bad at all. It was an older ship, but a classic. The Meridian. We loved her. Southern Caribbean out of San Juan ... 8 different ports of call. We had a blast. For some reason we just never went on Celebrity again. We drifted to Princess and have been real happy there. Plus, we live on the West Coast, and Celebrity doesn't have much of a presence here.

Most of our recent cruises have been those fire sale cruises that aren't selling well. Our last two 15 day cruises, one to Hawaii - the other the Panama Canal, we got for $799 for an inside. So that's almost $50 a night. A great deal. We're currently booked on a 10 day Mexican cruise on the Ruby. We got it for $599. Of course the port charges and taxes add a bit to that. But still, bargains can be had.

Our only Celebrity cruise wasn't bad at all. It was an older ship, but a classic. The Meridian. We loved her. Southern Caribbean out of San Juan ... 8 different ports of call. We had a blast. For some reason we just never went on Celebrity again. We drifted to Princess and have been real happy there. Plus, we live on the West Coast, and Celebrity doesn't have much of a presence here.

Thanks Jasperdo. I notice an NCL one time event in your early days too. How do you remember that? I visited the Starward one day in Cozumel in 85 when the security officer let us board for a look see. A HAL ship- I think it was the

NoyoucantDam declined to let us board.

It looks like you found a home once you hit Princess.

Norris

As anyone who has read my Princess reviews may remember I often remark at how invisible most of the Officers are and how, when I do come across them on my walks, they stare straight ahead without greeting me.

That's not how they roll on Celebrity, with the exception of the Jamaican Head Chef who avoids eye contact at all costs:Possibly a stowaway or on the run from

the Police.

I first became aware of a different way of interacting with the customers when I was down on deck 3 on the first sea day looking for a roll call M and G that had already happened, when I saw this.....Officers playing table tennis.

24664960876_590840140d_b.jpg

I watched them up on the lawn playing bocce-Officers vs Guests

24353508759_5f77a4bcf7_b.jpg

I met the Captain twice, walking around the ship. He did a Q and A session in the theater one sea day.

24781484922_429719f62e_b.jpg

Officers would drop into the Library to get a cup of coffee often. They would eat in the buffet in a group of 4. They had an event called Dance with the Passengers where they acted as partners. They assisted the CD in some parlor games on deck 4. The Captain was one of the Liars in the Liars Club show.

A highlight for me was the sea day Officers vs Guests water Volleyball game.

24948210285_bca8b1de7c_b.jpg

None of this makes our breaks your cruise but I am sure many customers like it and those that interact with the Officers probably remember their cruise even more vividly at having done so.

Kudos to Celebrity for this. It sounds very Azamara-ish but there's nothing wrong with that.

Norris

Kathy thanks for coming over to take a look at the comparison.

I am sure you will be happy sailing Princess again.

A mini suite is a good cabin for space and a better shower experience.

Cheers,

Norris

Oh my goodness - you are so right. We were in a regular balcony cabin on the Ruby last September and hubby said never again if he had to squeeze into that tiny shower - and he's a slim 6 feet. So, mini-suite it had to be, although we are a bit concerned about the uncovered balcony. Hoping for the best. Thanks! :)

Oh my goodness - you are so right. We were in a regular balcony cabin on the Ruby last September and hubby said never again if he had to squeeze into that tiny shower - and he's a slim 6 feet. So, mMini-suite it had to be, although we are a bit concerned about the uncovered balcony. Hoping for the best. Thanks! :)

my problem with the mini, is the shower over the tub.

With mobility issues getting in and out of the tub is a real problem.

I'm over 6' and not so slim, but take the small balcony shower over trying to get into the tub, every time.

my problem with the mini, is the shower over the tub.

With mobility issues getting in and out of the tub is a real problem.

I'm over 6' and not so slim, but take the small balcony shower over trying to get into the tub, every time.

Good point! We don't like tub/shower combos either. We had one with a very low ceiling and hubby had to scrunch down. Well, we'll just hope for the best. :)

Edited by romancing_the_sea

Oh my goodness - you are so right. We were in a regular balcony cabin on the Ruby last September and hubby said never again if he had to squeeze into that tiny shower - and he's a slim 6 feet. So, mini-suite it had to be, although we are a bit concerned about the uncovered balcony. Hoping for the best. Thanks! :)

There are also minis on Emerald deck aft (6 or 8). The balcony is fully covered. If you want one, you have to book early...very highly prized.

As anyone who has read my Princess reviews may remember I often remark at how invisible most of the Officers are and how, when I do come across them on my walks, they stare straight ahead without greeting me.

That's not how they roll on Celebrity, with the exception of the Jamaican Head Chef who avoids eye contact at all costs:Possibly a stowaway or on the run from

the Police.

I first became aware of a different way of interacting with the customers when I was down on deck 3 on the first sea day looking for a roll call M and G that had already happened, when I saw this.....Officers playing table tennis.

24664960876_590840140d_b.jpg

I watched them up on the lawn playing bocce-Officers vs Guests

24353508759_5f77a4bcf7_b.jpg

I met the Captain twice, walking around the ship. He did a Q and A session in the theater one sea day.

24781484922_429719f62e_b.jpg

Officers would drop into the Library to get a cup of coffee often. They would eat in the buffet in a group of 4. They had an event called Dance with the Passengers where they acted as partners. They assisted the CD in some parlor games on deck 4. The Captain was one of the Liars in the Liars Club show.

A highlight for me was the sea day Officers vs Guests water Volleyball game.

24948210285_bca8b1de7c_b.jpg

None of this makes our breaks your cruise but I am sure many customers like it and those that interact with the Officers probably remember their cruise even more vividly at having done so.

Kudos to Celebrity for this. It sounds very Azamara-ish but there's nothing wrong with that.

Norris

I have really been enjoying your comparison, and I'm finding it quite helpful as we are taking our first Princess cruise in May to Alaska, round trip out of San Francisco.

We have sailed on the Silhouette twice and absolutely loved her. Like you, we were impressed by the visibility and accessibility of the ship's officers. Our captain on both sailings was Emmanuel Alevropoulos, and he is an excellent ambassador for Celebrity. He has a wicked sense of humor that was showcased during Celebrity's version of Liar's Club. We also enjoyed his Q & A session and talking with him 1-on-1 several times. He's very approachable and loves to talk about sailing and his ship.