Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

[quote name='Bimmer09'][SIZE=3]Well this sounds like a great way to celebrate!!

I think the Crown was one of my shorter reviews but if you don't see enough of the ship in it you can hop over to the longer Ruby or Emerald reviews as they are all sisters. For Alaska I have you covered with two reviews and lots of excursions.

Norris
[/SIZE][/quote]

Thank you! I breezed through the Crown review and have peeked at the Diamond, but have plenty of time to think about ports. It will just be a wonderful break.

Woman who bought chippy tea here ;) ..... just wanted to say great conclusion and I'll also be reading your previous reports Norris. We have only a few years' cruising behind us, but a look at my signature shows how we are packin' em in!
In fact, we are on the Reflection on 14 January too and will be stalking you :D

Thanks again for a great read.

mrsgoggins (aka Moira ... and not really mrsgoggins; she's in Postman Pat and a favourite of ours when our son was young) Edited by mrsgoggins

[quote name='scorchestra']Thank you so much, Norris! It gave us many days of very enjoyable reading. Your observations, generosity, time and talent for writing is much appreciated!

I've never even been on a cruise and will be taking my first cruise on Celebrity in May to Alaska, so it built up a lot of excitement for me. I look forward to reading about your future cruise.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]First cruise and it's to Alaska? Sounds familiar!

First of many as you are in for a treat.

Thanks for following along and for the kind words!

Norris

[/SIZE]

[quote name='TorontoTL']Thank you Norris for your extremely well thought out review and comparison. I really enjoyed reading all of it and loved the photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Glad to have you along on the journey!

Hope to see you on the next one.

Norris[/SIZE]

[quote name='mrsgoggins']Woman who bought chippy tea here ;) ..... just wanted to say great conclusion and I'll also be reading your previous reports Norris. We have only a few years' cruising behind us, but a look at my signature shows how we are packin' em in!
In fact, we are on the Reflection on 14 January too and will be stalking you :D

Thanks again for a great read.

mrsgoggins (aka Moira ... and not really mrsgoggins; she's in Postman Pat and a favourite of ours when our son was young)[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Just look for the guy with the black bag of Canon cameras-and come say hi.

See you on the Reflection!

Norris
[/SIZE]

Norris,

Thank you so much for your enjoyable review and comparison between Princess and Celebrity. We enjoy both lines very much and are happy to have the choice between the two. Your comparison was balanced and fair. This past January we took our first Regal cruise and were pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed the experience. The Grand Class would probably be our first choice but we will now not hesitate to cruise on the Regal in the future.

We are looking forward to our next Celebrity and Princess cruise - Canada and New England on Celebrity Infinity in October and a Caribbean cruise on the Regal Princess in December.

Again, thank you for your comparison. We look forward to the next Norris Review!

Mike & Linda

Thanks Mike and Linda!

Two cruises in the pipeline, huh? To my measly one...

Still time to look for another once I settle into the new job.

Cheers,

Norris

Thank you, Norris for another great story.

The thing I take from your reviews is that you point out all of the wonderful offerings the cruise has, from the smallest things like elevators to luxury dining. You give us so much to look forward to on our next cruise.

Your photos are spectacular and lend so much to your story presentation.

We follow up with watching your segments on You Tube.

I'll be looking forward to your next adventure.

Good luck with your new job!

Margie

Thank you Margie!

Glad to have you along on the journey.

Norris

Fantastic job Norris on BOTH your review and your comparison threads!

Joe, thanks for coming over from the X board to read the comparison.

I enjoyed your many comments along the way!

Cheers,

Norris

AND IN THE END.......

When I began this comparison on February 17th I didn't assign numerical values to my "advantages" so I was never going to tally up points to declare a winner.

Well there were two winners really- Norris and Carol. And Princess and Celebrity.

If one was so much better than the other then it could mean no more Princess for us or we would be canceling our next X cruise on the Reflection, which is not something we are going to do. We have a dinner in Murano waiting for us on January 14th 2017!

So we will happily sail both until the day comes when we try another line and then have 3 to choose from (so many ships-so little time).

At the base of each cruise line is the combination of things that we must have;

Clean, well maintained modern ships

A service culture where they try hard to please

Good food and comfortable cabins

A variety of places to eat, both sophisticated and casual.

A clientele who is respectful of other passengers

A distinct lack of over-served people vomiting over the railings

Ships that look like ships not Six Flags Amusement Park

A lack of costumed characters and giant animals (why?) on deck

Enough staff to serve the number of passengers

Entertainment day and night

Aft suites

Very few announcement over the P.A.

A cruising experience that gives us value for the money spent

The Silhouette is the most beautiful ship I have yet set foot on or seen photos of.

Celebrity were very innovative in the S Class design-I am full of admiration for the Board who thought outside of the box and for the design team that made it a reality.

When it comes to onboard experiences though Princess stands tall with so many unique features-yes many at a price but we live in a Capitalist society and should thank our Lucky Stars. Competition breeds excellence and innovation.

So on Princess you can have a celebration breakfast or dinner on your balcony regardless of your stateroom for $30 and $100 per couple (UBB and UBD)

You can splurge on a Chef's Table or Winemaker's Dinner, eat food designed by a Master Chocolatier of renown (Norman Love) or a celebrity TV chef (Curtis Stone) in SHARE restaurant.

You can join fellow passengers in a choir and sing in public instead of the shower.

You can enjoy a Pub Lunch-a taste of Olde England.

You can pay for peace and quiet and attentive service in the Sanctuary.

You can watch movies on a 30 foot screen on deck

You can sit in the Piazza and watch jugglers, acrobats, bands and dancers until you are blue in the face.

You can eat and drink at the International Cafe 24/7

You will have a Personal Cruise Consultant assigned after your first cruise so no calling a 1-800 and taking your chances...you talk to "your guy" every time.

That's a long list of things, some costly , some free that make a Princess ship so enjoyable.

The ships have no lawn and that was my favorite part of the Silhouette experience. It's all there in the review.

They have smaller bars and specialty restaurants but more of them and cater to niche audiences. So many choices! The have 3 or more times the number of shops on board. All of these things are Revenue Generators so kudos to the Capitalists!

I don't think I sat by the lawn with a cold beer in my hand thinking about Princess at all during my week on board. I was enjoying the X experience. It wasn't radically different, better or worse but they nailed all those things we must have-except for Carol's Sanctuary as she loves to get away from it all. But it was her idea to book another cruise before leaving the ship. Reflection here we come.

We slept well, ate well, were greeted with smiles and good service, were entertained by the entertainers and some of the staff who had great senses of humor. We enjoyed luxurious comfort and were delighted by the amazing art collection on board. At every turn was a design feature or beautiful room that caught our eye. We loved the space on the ship and the room to roam-a bigger ship than the Ruby but with fewer passengers.

We had sizzling steaks at night, between the two funnels, with the warm Caribbean breeze wafting through the Lawn Club Grill as a singer guitarist played for couples sitting on the lawn, drinking their wine. The ship is a thing of beauty when lit at night.

We had a great, memorable cruise with Celebrity. We gave them one chance to make a good first impression and they ran with it.

SO IN CONCLUSION...

We are two very happy cruisers, now that we have a choice of 28 ships (with 3 more on the way) and the itineraries which that choice offers us.

Thanks to everyone who has read along and particularly for those many among you who took the time to respond. It's much appreciated!! (I am raising my glass to you all)

I hope you will all join me for our next cruise review-I just can't say when that will be but definitely January 2017 at the latest.

BYE FOR NOW,

16426142501_7363911fcf_b.jpg

NORRIS

Norris..Great reviews of both lines. We did like the Regal very much, most especially the Sanctuary(gave Princess a lot of $$)as well as relaxing in the Crooners bar, where we could people watch! In the end we like the food more on the Eclipse & it's where we'll be again next Jan.22. We also love the Solarium & it's indoor pool. The fact there is no upcharge(like the Sanctuary) made it enjoyable for us the last few years.

If the Regal did full 14 day trips to the Caribbean, instead of doing two B 2 B trips we'd most likely do them for a few more trips. Overall both lines had more similarities than differences & I think people do fine on either or both.

Norris..Great reviews of both lines. We did like the Regal very much, most especially the Sanctuary(gave Princess a lot of $$)as well as relaxing in the Crooners bar, where we could people watch! In the end we like the food more on the Eclipse & it's where we'll be again next Jan.22. We also love the Solarium & it's indoor pool. The fact there is no upcharge(like the Sanctuary) made it enjoyable for us the last few years.

If the Regal did full 14 day trips to the Caribbean, instead of doing two B 2 B trips we'd most likely do them for a few more trips. Overall both lines had more similarities than differences & I think people do fine on either or both.

Keith, I'm glad you enjoyed both pieces.

The Regal B2 where it returns to PE and then sails out again indeed should be a 14 day and more ports could be fitted in. I think X has more varied itineraries in the Caribbean and there's no excuse for P not to.

Yes the Sanctuary is pretty unique in the experience it provides- Carol loves it but I of course don't sit still for long as there's always a lampshade somewhere I have to go photograph.

When you say you like the food on X more-do you mean the specialty restaurants or the MDR or just ship-wide? I thought Murano was the only restaurant Princess couldn't match. Lawn Club Grill meat is on par with Crown Grill IMO but the LCG ambiance and the experience (and fun) can't be beat. Tuscan Grille I rate alongside Sabatini's as they are both wanna-be Italian restaurants. If they can produce a Giuseppe from the kitchen I'll take that back.

Either way the vittles are good on both lines and no man shall go hungry!

The Solarium is one of a kind. Home run.

Cheers Keith!

Norris

Great review. We have cruised once on Celebrity and once on Princess, and I found myself agreeing with almost everything you wrote.

There really are far more similarities than differences between the two lines.

Thank you for your very entertaining and informative review.

It's over???? Nooooooooo!! It's like reading a fabulous novel that you don't want to ever end!!! Oh well, I will just have to amuse myself with your other reviews (I've read the Emerald, the Silly and this comparison) to help pass the time between now and your Reflection cruise to get my fix, and until we sail on the Grand in January!! Norris, thank you for taking so much time and energy to these projects!!! I am a fan!!!

Good luck with the new job (that I hope grants you more vacation time to take many more cruises just so I can read the reviews!)!

Cheers,

Tracy

Tracy, thanks so much for the kind compliments on the "things" I write.

I have done a week on the new job and am looking forward to many more. It will lead me to more vacation time (in 2 years but that will pass quickly). Our next trip is 4 days in Houston for the Opera in late April and we are excited to be going back there. A cruise may still happen later in the Summer. Who knows? I haven't been home to N. Ireland since 2003 when my dad died so that's kind of pulling at my heartstrings instead of a cruise.

This is only my 4th job in the last 28 years so I don't jump around a lot.

Time and energy to write these long things? Has to be done as I don't like to keep people waiting once I start and I know I'll have a lot to say. I just wake up early and start typing with vast quantities of coffee to assist. I'm glad people enjoy reading them.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Tracy.

Norris

Norris, thank you for this wonderful comparison of Princess and Celebrity. You have done an excellent job, as usual, and I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute I've spent reading it.

We have thoroughly enjoyed our Princess cruises, and you have convinced me we would enjoy Celebrity just as much. I just have to find the right spot in our schedule to fit a Celebrity cruise in! I do have a really long cruise wish list already, and it somehow seems to keep getting longer!

I will be stalking you (in a nice way, of course - no security detail needed :eek:) on these boards in the hope that I will find you and Carol booked on another cruise this summer! :D

AND IN THE END.......

Do I detect a song reference here? Did I actually manage to find it before anyone else has commented on it? My apologies to your other posters as I may have skimmed through their replies.

The End. Beatles Abbey Road 1969.

The love you take is equal to the love you make.

No pillow chocolates necessary.

Do I detect a song reference here? Did I actually manage to find it before anyone else has commented on it? My apologies to your other posters as I may have skimmed through their replies.

The End. Beatles Abbey Road 1969.

The love you take is equal to the love you make.

No pillow chocolates necessary.

You did, Nancy.

Kudos!

Norris

I really enjoyed all your comparisons here, as well as your review on the Celebrity board. I'm leaving in about two hours for my first S-Class cruise on the Equinox tomorrow, and your writing and pictures have gotten me even more excited than I already was.

Like you, I love taking pictures of the ship, and you've inspired me to use my 11-22mm wide angle lens more this trip than I usually do.

Thanks again!

Well, Nancy, I thought of the Beatles as soon as I read "And in the end..." as well but thought, nah, that's just my own quirkiness...

But that is a great song at the end (not counting Her Majesty, of course) if a great side of a great album that came out toward the end of a great run for a great (the greatest) band!

So it's also fitting for those words to signal a great end of a great review from a great reviewer of a great (the greatest) way to enjoy vacations!

And I must also admit every time we're heading home from a cruise I sing to my DW "Were on our way home..." (I know - a different album but a pertinent reference nonetheless).

;)

Brian

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

Norris,

Once again thank you for a spectacular comparison between Princess and Celebrity.

Your pictures and writing style have entertainer me for the last couple of months.

will look forward to your future writings but for now I'm heading into withdrawal mode.

Regards, Judy

Norris, again thank you for your comparisons. I looked forward to reading them whenever I was online. I'll miss them. Best of luck to you and Carol.By the way, I'm booked on the Ruby in Alaska,May,2017, and the Silhouette for Dec,2017.

Mel

Keith, I'm glad you enjoyed both pieces.

The Regal B2 where it returns to PE and then sails out again indeed should be a 14 day and more ports could be fitted in. I think X has more varied itineraries in the Caribbean and there's no excuse for P not to.

Yes the Sanctuary is pretty unique in the experience it provides- Carol loves it but I of course don't sit still for long as there's always a lampshade somewhere I have to go photograph.

When you say you like the food on X more-do you mean the specialty restaurants or the MDR or just ship-wide? I thought Murano was the only restaurant Princess couldn't match. Lawn Club Grill meat is on par with Crown Grill IMO but the LCG ambiance and the experience (and fun) can't be beat. Tuscan Grille I rate alongside Sabatini's as they are both wanna-be Italian restaurants. If they can produce a Giuseppe from the kitchen I'll take that back.

Either way the vittles are good on both lines and no man shall go hungry!

The Solarium is one of a kind. Home run.

Cheers Keith!

Norris

Murano is Excellent without a doubt. The extra cost shows in the quality of the food, which Crown Grill/Sabatini's just could not match.."Choice" meats intstead of "Select". Flambé which Princess seems to not do for whatever reason. The food in the MDR on Eclipse was just better overall(Exception Beef Wellington, which Princess does very well)Princess "always available" didn't feature items such as Escargots, which Celebrity always has. Shrimp cocktail is far better overall. Food on Celebrity was just always just a little bit better, especially desserts which were always outstanding. Food aside(we're in the food industry so we're picky!)Overall both lines are a pretty good match. People will be happy with both.

Thank you for this thorough and very entertaining review! I have had fun romping along with you, as you have always been and continue to be one of my favorite reviewers. I have sailed Princess eleven times since my last Celebrity cruise a few years ago -- partly because of the wide variety of ships and itineraries Princess offers here on the West Coast and up in Alaska. But I can see that I need to get back on Celebrity and give that cruise line another look-see :)

Thanks Norris for another wonderful review. Gives us food for thought on trying Celebrity, especially the S Class.

Best of luck to you on your newest endeavor in your new job.

Look forward to hearing from you again in your future travels.

Diana