Clamshell at Half Moon Cay???

oaktreerb

We'll soon be visiting Half Moon Cay which we last visited in 2008 before the construction of the bar and cabanas and all. In 2008 we had a clamshell which gave us a place to get in out of the sun and a place to keep our towels, etc. I just saw the picture that RetiredMustang posted showing Half Moon Cay with all those beach chairs lined up in front of the clamshells. I remember HMC as being absolutely beautiful but not at all crowded with beach chairs.

After seeing all the empty beach chairs with clamshells in the back row I'm wondering if I should cancel the clamshell we ordered.

Can I get some opinions from HA cruisers who have visited recently? I think we are the only ship in port on March 13th.

We'll soon be visiting Half Moon Cay which we last visited in 2008 before the construction of the bar and cabanas and all. In 2008 we had a clamshell which gave us a place to get in out of the sun and a place to keep our towels, etc. I just saw the picture that RetiredMustang posted showing Half Moon Cay with all those beach chairs lined up in front of the clamshells. I remember HMC as being absolutely beautiful but not at all crowded with beach chairs.

After seeing all the empty beach chairs with clamshells in the back row I'm wondering if I should cancel the clamshell we ordered.

Can I get some opinions from HA cruisers who have visited recently? I think we are the only ship in port on March 13th.

Hello, I was at HMC twice on a B2B in early February and the clam shell was indispensible for shade. And it only cost $19.95, I think. Since the clamshells can be selected as they are available, I would choose one on an aisle. That way you will have clear access to the water and a relatively clear line of sight. Good luck, and enjoy HMC.

We're heading out on the NA on Easter and the clamshells are already booked for our stop at HMC. Looking at the port register, there are a few ships in that day. After reading some of the comments, I won't be sad if we don't get one. My friend isn't really a water person so we may just stroll around.

I visited HMC on Jan 25 with the Zuiderdam. I rented a clam shell for $19.95. Yes there were rows of lounge chairs lined up before it on the beach. No, they most certainly did not obstruct the view. I was completely comfortable under the clam shell on a hot sunny day. I was in the water 3 times, had a fabulous day.:)

DH and I usually don't get off the ship at HMC as he is not a beach person. But when my girlfriend and I went last March, we got a clamshell and enjoyed it very much.

Get there as soon as you can so that you can choose the location you like. We happened to get a clamshell with no chairs in front of it and, when a woman moved hers in front of ours, the clamshell woman told her she couldn't put it there!

I wouldn't spend money on anything....move a lounger to where you want it...your towel is fine on your chair! They aren't bolted down...you can move them...and there are plenty! Trees, too, for shade!

Agree - we just moved our loungers into the shade and had a lovely breeze - left towels and a few personal items on the lounges and all was great! Much better than being 'confined' to a spot

OK, I am going to HMC for the first time next year. What exactly is a clam shell? I have heard there are cabanas here - are they both similar?

It's a cloth canopy shade, u-shaped when folded but hinged at the tips of "u" so that you can lift the top "u" bar to 90 degrees from the bottom "u" bar which stays on the ground. Then you have a cozy cave of shade, wide enough for two lounge chairs. Many people say it's good to bring a book or duffle bag to wedge under the bottom bar to get some air flow, otherwise it can be hot under the canopy.

I prefer to go down the beach a bit further and take a lounge chair in the shade of the trees - lots of shade is available. They provide a cool breeze and I love the sound of the breeze rustling through them. m--

Many people say it's good to bring a book or duffle bag to wedge under the bottom bar to get some air flow, otherwise it can be hot under the canopy.

On my recent visit, the clam shells were attached to posts that had been set in the ground. There was a gap of a couple inches all along the bottom. This makes it unnecessary to bring anything just to prop up the bottom for airflow. I hope this helps.

My husband is so pale he is almost translucent and has had some skin cancer issues in the past. Because of that I wouldn't consider going without one. Surprisingly I have found that I thoroughly enjoy it, and with a little creativity you can get some air flow going. If I get too warm I take a quick dip. For the price, I think it is well worth it. It's the only thing we have booked for our cruise next month!

Are beach towels supplied or should I bring my own? This is my first Caribbean cruise and I'm not sure how that works.

Your room steward will leave beach towels in your room the night before HMC. If you lose them you have to pay for them. Just bring them back and leave on the bathroom floor and they will be replaced with fresh ones.

Thanks everyone for your input on the clamshells. Due to the location of the clamshells and the possibility of a very warm day with little air circulation we have decided to cancel the clamshell and just enjoy the shade on HMC...maybe spend the money saved on a treat in the bar!

We were there late January and my only real advice I have is - if you book a clamshell don't assume that one will be waiting for you. We booked a clamshell months in advance BUT when we arrived on HMC, we were told that that there were none left - no apologies, no efforts whatsoever to get us what we had paid for AND we had to run back and forth between shore excursions on HMC and the Clamshell rental place - they kept passing the buck. Note: we arrived WELL before the deadline mentioned on our shore excursion tickets. Back on board ship we received a refund (only after making a fuss) and a verbal apology from Shore excursions. We were NOT impressed. So if you decide to do this be prepared with an alternative plan. If we go to HMC again we will not bother to rent a clamshell. BTW other than this we had a great cruise.

Thanks everyone for your input on the clamshells. Due to the location of the clamshells and the possibility of a very warm day with little air circulation we have decided to cancel the clamshell and just enjoy the shade on HMC...maybe spend the money saved on a treat in the bar!

Good Idea!

Very wise -- JMO.

Even if you can see over the 3 rows of loungers in front of you, getting a breeze can be difficult. First row really gets the breeze.

Your room steward will leave beach towels in your room the night before HMC. If you lose them you have to pay for them. Just bring them back and leave on the bathroom floor and they will be replaced with fresh ones.

Thank you, Lizzie! That will leave more room in my suitcase for other things.

If you are worried about forgetting the beach towels that are left in your cabin, when going ashore, just stop by the pool the day before -- pick up some towels there and pack them in your back pack or whatever you are taking ashore.