Gratuities

WhoDatNation

I've been on 7 cruises all with Carnival but never knew the answer to this. Is gratuities mandatory or can you put cash in envelopes and give it to who you want? I always add the gratuities when I book a cruise. I heard some people really don't tip the staff. I thought it would be on your sail and sign card regardless and you can't remove them and you must pay grats.

Edited by WhoDatNation

I've been on 7 cruises all with Carnival but never knew the answer to this. Is gratuities mandatory or can you put cash in envelopes and give it to who you want? I always add the gratuities when I book a cruise. I heard some people really don't tip the staff. I thought it would be on your sail and sign card regardless and you can't remove them and you must pay grats.

No not mandatory, just highly encouraged. If you want to do cash only, then remove the tips that will be auto-added to your account towards the end of the cruise, and then with your cash just give it to whoever you want. Carnival does not demand that you tip, other lines (I've heard) make it really hard to remove the tips..like you have had to have a bad experience etc...

The problem with that is, it just isn't the room steward who takes care of you. And it's not just the person who serves you the food.

Donkey, my last cruise director, reminded everyone about the whole tips thing is...there are a lot of people behind the scenes that benefit from tips that you don't see....like the cooks, dishwashers, laundry people etc...

But again, tipping is a personal (and cultural) thing. I hope you don't get flamed/burned for asking a question, it seemed like a genuine question, but people can get nasty very quickly on these threads.

Donkey, my last cruise director, reminded everyone about the whole tips thing is...there are a lot of people behind the scenes that benefit from tips that you don't see....like the cooks, dishwashers, laundry people etc...

This is my problem. Why should guest tip behind the scenes staff on the ships but not at hotels? They are providing the same service at a hotel but those workers never see a tip. I think your tips should go to your housekeepers and waiters. JMHO

You can pay cash to the waitstaff and room stewards if you wish and remove the automatic grats but how would you tip lido people?

All room stewards and wait staff on the ship that provide you service should get cash tips from you. I shouldn't have to tip behind the scenes staff because just like a hotel, they get paid more since they don't work for tips.

How in the world do you know that the behind the scenes people get paid more???? Have you worked on a ship?

The whole hospitality industry works pretty much the same. I work in the industry so I have a good idea. I bet you won't tip every worker next time you stay at a hotel is all I'm saying. You would cry like a baby if you had to do that.

Edited by WhoDatNation

All room stewards and wait staff on the ship that provide you service should get cash tips from you. I shouldn't have to tip behind the scenes staff because just like a hotel, they get paid more since they don't work for tips.

is this an assumption or do you actually have knowledge of this.

The main thrust of the discussion always centers around the idea of why should the customer subsidize the employers' paying an employee a fair wage. The reality is that is how employees always get paid (by the customer).

In the situation of cruise lines they have asked that we do it by paying tips/service charge, whatever you want to call it. We all know what the money is for before we go on the cruise. The employees actually expect it that way. Would you feel better if they just raised the cruise price across the board and then you could just give extra to the people who you feel deserve more? If your answer to this is yes, why can't people who continually seem to have a problem with this issue just pretend that the tips/service charge is part of the cost and now you can be as generous as you want to anybody you feel deserves it.

I have never responded to one of these threads but the same thread comes up in one form or another every couple of weeks if not more often and always sounds the same.

is this an assumption or do you actually have knowledge of this.

The main thrust of the discussion always centers around the idea of why should the customer subsidize the employers' paying an employee a fair wage. The reality is that is how employees always get paid (by the customer).

In the situation of cruise lines they have asked that we do it by paying tips/service charge, whatever you want to call it. We all know what the money is for before we go on the cruise. The employees actually expect it that way. Would you feel better if they just raised the cruise price across the board and then you could just give extra to the people who you feel deserve more? If your answer to this is yes, why can't people who continually seem to have a problem with this issue just pretend that the tips/service charge is part of the cost and now you can be as generous as you want to anybody you feel deserves it.

I have never responded to one of these threads but the same thread comes up in one form or another every couple of weeks if not more often and always sounds the same.

Assumption based on me working in the hospitality industry. I can not see everyone on the ship working for tips especially the staff you can't even interact with. Ships should run just like a hotel. JMHO

I agree, in other hospitality establishments I don't have to directly 'tip' the behind the scenes staff, why is it different on a ship?

I agree, in other hospitality establishments I don't have to directly 'tip' the behind the scenes staff, why is it different on a ship?

Because that's the way cruiselines choose to run their business. Period.

If you want to reduce the Daily Service Charge, you are able to do so.

It is unnecessary for either side of the argument to sway the other to change their opinion. But it is entertaining to watch the same arguments over and over.

JMHO

Assumption based on me working in the hospitality industry. I can not see everyone on the ship working for tips especially the staff you can't even interact with. Ships should run just like a hotel. JMHO

Because ships are not hotels and have had this practice in place for many years. If you don't like it you can adjust gratuities as you like.

You do realize that some of the crew (i.e. MDR staff) work at breakfast, lunch/brunch, buffet as well as the evening meal. I cannot imagine trying to tip everyone I come in contact with on a daily basis. I am happy to leave the auto grats on and on almost every cruise (except 1 out of 27) we've added additional cash grats for wait staff and cabin stewards. We also add gratuities for bar staff if we've received special service.

The whole hospitality industry works pretty much the same. I work in the industry so I have a good idea. I bet you won't tip every worker next time you stay at a hotel is all I'm saying. You would cry like a baby if you had to do that.

Any time we stay at an AI on vacation we always seek out other staff at the resort like the grounds keeping staff, cleaners, gift shop attendants etc and give them a time. We generally take $100.00 in fives and $100.00 in ones for the week for tipping. $7.00 each day to the housekeeper.

No, you can remove them. If you want to add extra, you can either remove the auto tips and tip in cash or you can go to Guest Services and increase the auto tips.

Because that's the way cruiselines choose to run their business. Period.

If you want to reduce the Daily Service Charge, you are able to do so.

It is unnecessary for either side of the argument to sway the other to change their opinion. But it is entertaining to watch the same arguments over and over.

JMHO

Very true. Dont like that part of the auto tips covers guest services and entertainment staff but decided easier to go with the flow and let auto tips ride.

This is my problem. Why should guest tip behind the scenes staff on the ships but not at hotels? They are providing the same service at a hotel but those workers never see a tip. I think your tips should go to your housekeepers and waiters. JMHO

Because the behind the scenes help at hotels get at least minimum wage. Taking tips off basically takes them out of the entire loop. I am vehemently opposesed to taking off tips

Why should I........?

These are the folks that made cruise lines add tips to your bill daily. If you cannot afford to tip, stay home an extra month or two save up the $$$.

Those 'behind the scenes" folks are also the ones that set the tables, clean the tables, move the food to and from the kitchens....etc.

Do not STIFF THE STAFF

I would bet a substantial amount of money that people who claim to tip the people that serve them don't. If you can't afford the $12/day you probably can't afford to cruise. I think people who keep bringing up gratuities on these boards just like to stir stuff. PS - Entertainment staff and the Maitre' D do not get tips out of the the automatic gratuity pool.

Why should I........?

These are the folks that made cruise lines add tips to your bill daily. If you cannot afford to tip, stay home an extra month or two save up the $$$.

Those 'behind the scenes" folks are also the ones that set the tables, clean the tables, move the food to and from the kitchens....etc.

Do not STIFF THE STAFF

I have seen the people at guest services taking their tips off - most of the time they either drank up their S&S or threw it into the slots. Now they are worried about bus fare home so they take the tips off

I think it's very sad, that some posters squabble over 12 dollars a day and who it goes to. What difference does it make?

I'm happy to pay those gratuities and then some. Just for the fact of being served, someone else cleaning it up, someone tidying up, making my bed, etc.

AMen

The cruise lines make it so easy now to just add the tip to your onboard account.

I don't want to spend my vacation time, especially the last day of the cruise, figuring out who should get what, putting that amount in envelopes and handing them out.

I will only go to that trouble when I tip above what is already in place, but I don't mind doing that for great service.