pcc

llbz327

has anyone changed their pcc because they thought they were not that helpful.

as an example. we are on a group cruise (10n people) i requested a table for 10. the other 8 people had early dining confirmed, I had open dining confirmed. I called my pcc 3 times before it was taken care of. that is just the recent incident. any help will be appreciated.

Our PCC is an actual IRL friend that we met on a cruise. When we did a booking on a cruise, which we asked to be assigned to this PCC, we instead got a letter from HAL "introducing" us to our new PCC, who was someone else. It actually took quite a bit of back and forth with HAL and the intervention of our original PCC to get it switched back.

I would call and ask for a PCC supervisor and start asking. They may try to 'work with' the original PCC to gain your satisfaction. I think you will need to be firm (but polite) to get a change.

has anyone changed their pcc because they thought they were not that helpful.

as an example. we are on a group cruise (10n people) i requested a table for 10. the other 8 people had early dining confirmed, I had open dining confirmed. I called my pcc 3 times before it was taken care of. that is just the recent incident. any help will be appreciated.

I fully understand finding a good PCC, TA, or even a plumber for that matter is hard. Personally we gave up on HAL PCCs years ago but not really because they weren't or couldn't be helpful. We do our own research and planning and by the time we are ready to book we aren't looking for any assistance other than to book the cruise. To that end we've settled on using an Internet based TA who gives us all the personal service we need or want and a 10-12% discount. That's not for everybody but it has worked for us for some 12 years now.

thank you for your reply's. I have used an internet only ta and it has been good but sometimes with a large group it is easier with a pcc. I really don't type that well and have to speak to a live person. again thank you

I seem to get the doozies.:D My second PCC is as much of a dead loss as the first. I sent her an email last Friday, got an auto response she's away till Wednesday. Didn't hear from her on Wednesday so sent another one in the afternoon. Auto response - away till Thursday. Sent another email an hour ago to ask if she had an response for me yet. Auto response - out of the office till Monday. Phone calls get voice mail always and seldom a call back.

However, in fairness - I got fed up and called the PCC department, got someone who could help me and booked another cruise with the most delightful person so I am hoping I can switch to her. Third time lucky?

Would love to cruise more often but work keeps it at once a year for a couple of weeks. I'm sure we could save by getting a commission kickback from an online TA. We only book NS and book far in advance to secure one of our favorite suites.

We stay with our PCC for several reasons. One- we trust her and genuinely like her. Two- when a need or challenge arises that would require help from the Seattle office we'd rather know we have someone right there than channeling needs through a TA far away and hoping our need is passed up the line correctly.

Our annual cruises mean a lot to us and we really value the peace of mind of no surprises over a few percent of kickback. I suppose if we traveled several times a year the price difference would be more of a concern and we would consider going back to a TA.

Edited by frankc98376

We have also found little use of a HAL PCC. Ours is friendly, sends the usual e-mails (looking for business) and has even called a few times. But the reality is that we can save a lot of money (sometimes thousands of dollars on some cruises) by booking with decent cruise agencies (we shop around for the best deals). And sometimes it seems that the high volume cruise agencies actually have more leverage with HAL then their own employees. Go figure.

Hank

Just like everything else there has been cost cutting in this department. Some years back I had a wonderful PCC. She left the company because of many changes and expectations within the department. She was no longer allowed sufficient time to take care of her customers the way she had in the past. The three after that have been less than helpful. The latest one actually caused me to miss a promotional fare because he didn't return my call for three days. I gave up and no longer book with him. In fact, I no longer book with Holland America. That and a myriad of other things were straws that broke the camel's back. I think the entire cruise industry is in a mess right now and I have opted out for a few years in hopes things will settle. We'll see.

Im curious why every time someone asks a specific question about a PCC the discussion always changes to that of using a ta. It's like asking about the MDR and someone telling you about the cabin steward. It's not like the op asked if she should use a PCC or ta.

Edited by cruz chic

I seem to get the doozies.:D My second PCC is as much of a dead loss as the first. I sent her an email last Friday, got an auto response she's away till Wednesday. Didn't hear from her on Wednesday so sent another one in the afternoon. Auto response - away till Thursday. Sent another email an hour ago to ask if she had an response for me yet. Auto response - out of the office till Monday. Phone calls get voice mail always and seldom a call back.

However, in fairness - I got fed up and called the PCC department, got someone who could help me and booked another cruise with the most delightful person so I am hoping I can switch to her. Third time lucky?

I'm surprised she didn't have someone answering her emails and phone calls while she was gone. Our PCC always has and I guess I assumed they all do. :confused:

To answer the OP, our first PCC was a dud. But we were so new to it all we didn't know we could do better. Before we "woke up", she either quit or was fired. ;) We love the PCC we've had since and would never change unless, heaven forbid she quits!

I am on my second PCC and both have been very good to work with. I think the key to using them is to be somewhat knowledgeable yourself and not be afraid to ask questions.

I have found that when questions arise, sometimes my understanding is correct and sometimes the PCC looks into it and explains why I am wrong (yes, this does happen to me!). Between the two of us we normally figure it out.

A good example was a promotion run last Fall for $300 OBC per cabin. The website had mentioned that it was combine-able with other offers, but my PCC said it was not, per HAL's information. I questioned him on this and he researched it and came back and said that I was correct and that there was a mixup on HAL's part, so I ended up getting it.

Some good points, Dave, and we learn a lot here. At the moment I am challenging her assertion that HAL never, ever applies the ZPM to a cruise already booked when you get the ZPM offer on return from another cruise.

Can you cancel and rebook using the ZPM? Or will you lose too much other things?

I have had the ZPM offer applied to cruises already booked at least twice with no problem whatsoever by just calling HAL and talking to a reservation agent. Either they will do it or they will get me to the person who will do it. These are cruises I may have booked while on the previous cruise. then I get home, get the ZPM offer by email and call to have it applied to the cruise I booked while on the previous cruise (hope that makes sense). I don't use a PCC or TA. I do everything myself online.

Can you cancel and rebook using the ZPM? Or will you lose too much other things?

On this one I would lose too much, as it is a booking switched from another that I booked long ago. By switching rather than cancelling I got the new cruise at the exchange rate (Canadian) before HAL increased it. So I cannot cancel and rebook.:( But I will certainly be quoting some of these posts to my PCC.:D

On this one I would lose too much, as it is a booking switched from another that I booked long ago. By switching rather than cancelling I got the new cruise at the exchange rate (Canadian) before HAL increased it. So I cannot cancel and rebook.:( But I will certainly be quoting some of these posts to my PCC.:D

If your pcc's first name starts with K she is mine and has told me zpm cannot be used several times. Each time I call back and go through the main line and the first person to answer applies it. I do not use my pcc and will never use her. She is too slow to return calls or just doesn't and never gives ZPM. Sometimes it is on a new booking and she says it cannot be used with fare or with FCC or stockholder credit.

Some good points, Dave, and we learn a lot here. At the moment I am challenging her assertion that HAL never, ever applies the ZPM to a cruise already booked when you get the ZPM offer on return from another cruise.

We booked in mid January and made final payment at that time. Last week I called and asked ZPM to be applied since I just got email from January cruise. It was applied.

If your pcc's first name starts with K she is mine and has told me zpm cannot be used several times. Each time I call back and go through the main line and the first person to answer applies it. I do not use my pcc and will never use her. She is too slow to return calls or just doesn't and never gives ZPM. Sometimes it is on a new booking and she says it cannot be used with fare or with FCC or stockholder credit.

Not the same person (mine begins with a "J") but they sound the same. I will take your advice though and call the main line. Thanks.

I am wondering why anyone uses a PCC. From what I can understand they can't give any discounts on the fare so what is the point?

When I book a cruise, I already know ship, date and cabin #. If it is last minute I call the ta I use and have her book it. If it is months away I book it myself. If something happens and I have to cancel the cruise I just call and cancel it If everything goes as planned right before final payment I call HAl and tell them I am going to turn the booking over to the TA. Then I call the ta with the booking # and our cc # and she figures the discount and lets me know what kind of discount I will get.

This way I can do what I want with the booking and not have the three way call during the waiting period before we sail.

If the ta didn't give a discount I wouldn't use them.

I am wondering why anyone uses a PCC. From what I can understand they can't give any discounts on the fare so what is the point?

When I book a cruise, I already know ship, date and cabin #. If it is last minute I call the ta I use and have her book it. If it is months away I book it myself. If something happens and I have to cancel the cruise I just call and cancel it If everything goes as planned right before final payment I call HAl and tell them I am going to turn the booking over to the TA. Then I call the ta with the booking # and our cc # and she figures the discount and lets me know what kind of discount I will get.

This way I can do what I want with the booking and not have the three way call during the waiting period before we sail.

If the ta didn't give a discount I wouldn't use them.

Happy for you. I've had TAs book the wrong cruise and take weeks to get back to me. I don't need hand holding, itinerary suggesting etc. so I'm happy with my PCC. I have total control of my booking. As I mentioned before the op was not asking if they should use a PCC or ta but those that use a ta always seem very interested in pushing that agenda and telling others what they are missing out. I seem to recall at least one thread you started about problems with your ta. I apologize if I am incorrect.

Edited by cruz chic

Happy for you. I've had TAs book the wrong cruise and take weeks to get back to me. I don't need hand holding, itinerary suggesting etc. so I'm happy with my PCC. I have total control of my booking. As I mentioned before the op was not asking if they should use a PCC or ta but those that use a ta always seem very interested in pushing that agenda and telling others what they are missing out. I seem to recall at least one thread you started about problems with your ta. I apologize if I am incorrect.

Personally I don't have any problem with mixing the discussion of PCCs and TAs together in the same thread, even to the point of making general recommendations, as I consider PCCs nothing more than cruise line in-house TAs. The big difference to me is that PCCs just focus on one specific cruise line but can provide the booking, hotels, transfers, and flights within that context. Personally I use a TA because I want the discounts I get but that's not necessarily saying PCCs are bad. I don't criticize people who go the other way and only book through a PCC. It's not a case of a right or wrong way to book your cruises. To each their own and their own level of comfort.

Edited by Randyk47

Personally I don't have any problem with mixing the discussion of PCCs and TAs together in the same thread, even to the point of making general recommendations, as I consider PCCs nothing more than cruise line in-house TAs. The big difference to me is that PCCs just focus on one specific cruise line but can provide the booking, hotels, transfers, and flights within that context. Personally I use a TA because I want the discounts I get but that's not necessarily saying PCCs are bad. I don't criticize people who go the other way and only book through a PCC. It's not a case of a right or wrong way to book your cruises. To each their own and their own level of comfort.

Yes, absolutely agree. The part I object to is when people say "I don't know why anyone uses a PCC". I also don't enjoy listening to those the use them then complain endlessly about them but still use them. I also don't enjoy those that I feel put others down because they "don't want to save money". Why put others down for their choice? In my eyes there is no need for that. Ymmv.

I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately some get very defensive about their choice when others simply relate their experience with one or the other. A PCC and a TA do the same thing, and there are good and bad with both. None walk on water so no reason we can't discuss the good with the bad.;)