RCI Transfer Southampton to Gatwick

Hi everyone,

I just called RCI to book a transfer for my upcoming cruise on the Independence. The whole process was quite confusing as I think the agent I talked to (in crown and anchor) was confused herself.

She told me it's now booked, and when I asked how I can pay for it, she said I'm currently "wait listed" so once that clears, then I can call in to make a payment. I asked her how a transfer can have a wait-list as I was under the impression that they just get enough buses for the number of transfers sold, and she told me "it's not a bus...". I said "oh, then what is it?" To which she replied... "It's like... A car!". I asked if it was a shared car/van and she said no, that it's a private car.

Say what?! Somehow I doubt that RCI is selling private car transfers for the 2-hour ride for only $124CAD! Lol!

Can someone please enlighten me? Is this a case of "call back and get a different answer"?

h

There is a direct train from Southampton Central to Gatwick Airport. £5 taxi to the train station. It's quicker than driving.

Thanks for the reply. I would rather not have to drag my luggage on a train as I'm traveling solo and am not a light packer! :)

h

Thanks for the reply. I would rather not have to drag my luggage on a train as I'm traveling solo and am not a light packer! :)

Call back and speak to another rep....RCI doesn't use private car transfers...You are correct it would be a bus.

And I agree..being a solo traveler I would opt for the transfers not the train.

Usually not a fan of cruiseline transfers but this worked out best for us when going from LHR-Harwich morning of cruise.

Edited by Ashland

Most likely a they are using people carriers which is not a bus nor a mini bus but a car that seats 7 people. This would make more sense our transfer from Gatwick was by people carrier. I think that its more of a European vehicle that a American vehicle.

I live in the UK and approx. mid way between Gatwick and Southampton so I know this area well.

First, I would not suggest anyone unfamiliar with the UK rail service to use trains. They can get very busy. I have never used the train service between Southampton and Gatwick, perhaps it is luggage friendly and not too busy but most trains are crowded and don't have sufficient luggage space.

You can go online and book your own transfers. This could be a car or a people carrier. Also, I am sure you can arrange a transfer once you arrive at the port or through shore excursions while on the ship.

Now, my contribution regarding booking transfers through RCI. I did this for transfers between Miami and FLL regarding recent cruise. We were also confused about the transfers available as we expected a coach to be arranged. Instead they offered private transfers only. For the transfer to the port, we had 2 cars to transfer 4 people. On the way back to the airport, we had a people carrier to transfer all 4 of us. Although we booked all this through RCI and received co-branded vouchers, the transfer were actually booked through holiday*Taxi. With hindsight we could have done this ourselves and it would have made no difference, might even save some money.

My advice would be to speak to RCI and ask if they are organising coach transfers to Gatwick and whether there are any spaces left. It might be that they don't have any spaces in which case the only option is private transfer.

Also see if there are any tours arranged by RCI which pick you up at Southampton and drop you off at Gatwick. Worth considering if you have a late flight.

Edited by yuvraj

On our last transatlantic this past May, RCI were offering an excursion from Harwich that would do some sightseeing and then drop you either at a few different hotels in London before heading to the airport to drop off passengers. I think somebody already mentioned looking into this.

Others mention RCI using cars for transfers.. I am guessing that it might be dependent on the number of people who have ordered transfers. In other words, if there's only six or 8 people total who have booked transfers, it's just not worth it to have use a bus......more economical to use a small van or cars. Maybe they don't know at this point how big a vehicle they'll need for the transfers because they don't yet know how many transfers will be needed. :confused:

Hi everyone,

I just called RCI to book a transfer for my upcoming cruise on the Independence. The whole process was quite confusing as I think the agent I talked to (in crown and anchor) was confused herself.

She told me it's now booked, and when I asked how I can pay for it, she said I'm currently "wait listed" so once that clears, then I can call in to make a payment. I asked her how a transfer can have a wait-list as I was under the impression that they just get enough buses for the number of transfers sold, and she told me "it's not a bus...". I said "oh, then what is it?" To which she replied... "It's like... A car!". I asked if it was a shared car/van and she said no, that it's a private car.

Say what?! Somehow I doubt that RCI is selling private car transfers for the 2-hour ride for only $124CAD! Lol!

Can someone please enlighten me? Is this a case of "call back and get a different answer"?

If you decide to instead do a private transfer, I would post in the British Isles forun, many helpful folks there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

We have used Smiths for Airports several times without any problems.

I highly recommend them too. It was a private transfer, they waited for us at disembarkation -- cost 71£ + 3£ tax.

We had very bad experiences with ship's transfers -- no more

Edited by dani negreanu
add sentence

Call back and speak to another rep....RCI doesn't use private car transfers...You are correct it would be a bus.

And I agree..being a solo traveler I would opt for the transfers not the train.

Usually not a fan of cruiseline transfers but this worked out best for us when going from LHR-Harwich morning of cruise.

RCI DO use private transfers, we had one 2 years ago in Istanbul. We were able to book it during the cruise booking process on their website.

Thanks for the replies!

After about 45 minutes on the phone with RCI today and after being told that I was misinformed and they don't actually have transfers to Gatwick, I asked the agent to contact Air2Sea. About 3 minutes later, all was fixed! Turns out Air2Sea has to approve all transfers for them to be cleared from the "wait list". I now have my transfer (for $124 CAD - less than the cost of a private transfer given that I'm traveling solo.

I did ask about the mode of transportation and was told it is a bus. If anyone uses the transfer in the interim and has any updates, please let me know! If not, I'll report back with my experience! :)