Platinum dinner wine questions

designergirl

We've finally made it to Platinum and are looking forward to our complimentary Platinum dinners at Le Bistro. Would anyone know what wines are on the Platinum list? We're hoping it includes a zinfandel. Also, can we just take what's left of the wine with us when we've finished dinner?

We've finally made it to Platinum and are looking forward to our complimentary Platinum dinners at Le Bistro. Would anyone know what wines are on the Platinum list? We're hoping it includes a zinfandel. Also, can we just take what's left of the wine with us when we've finished dinner?

Yes, they have Zinfandel......I have in my hand a bottle we brought home with us from the Complimentary Wine List. It is Beringer Fruity & Refreshing White Zinfandel. Still unopened. We also have here a bottle of Beringer Vibrant White Sparkling Wine that we brought home from the Jewel last month, again from the Complimentary Wine List.

You can take whatever is left when you finish dinner or they can hold it for you and you can ask for it at ANY dining venue and they will bring to you during your next dinner, wherever that may be on the ship. They give you a small 2-part receipt, 1 part stays with the bottle and the other part you take with you to present when you want to get the bottle of wine being held for you. Sort of a raincheck thing.

Also, if you are like us, we are very light on alcohol. You can request a bottle of wine from that list and not open it, you can take it home with you.

Or, you can also ask for St. Regis non-alcoholic (alcohol-removed) wine.

I hope my answer addressed every imaginable scenario ;).

Thanks.

Edit: Wine connoisseurs will tell you that the wine selection from the Complimentary Wine List is the equivalent of Two Buck Chuck wines. We don't care, either way, like I said, alcohol does nothing for us.

Edited by rekarlu

Yes, they have Zinfandel......I have in my hand a bottle we brought home with us from the Complimentary Wine List. It is Beringer Fruity & Refreshing White Zinfandel. Still unopened.

You can take whatever is left when you finish dinner or they can hold it for you and you can ask for it at ANY dining venue and they will bring to you during your next dinner, wherever that may be on the ship.

Also, if you are like us, we are very light on alcohol. You can request a bottle of wine from that list and not open it, you can take it home with you.

Or, you can also ask for St. Regis non-alcoholic (alcohol-removed) wine.

I hope my answer addressed every imaginable scenario ;).

Thanks.

Thanks for this information regarding the wine available for Platinum dinner. We've just turned Plat. as well and will be happy with the bottle of wine with our complimentary dinners at le Bistro or La Cucina.

Do you have the list of wines we can choose from? or know which wines we can switch to if we don't care for their usual select wine?

Thanks for this information regarding the wine available for Platinum dinner. We've just turned Plat. as well and will be happy with the bottle of wine with our complimentary dinners at le Bistro or La Cucina.

Do you have the list of wines we can choose from? or know which wines we can switch to if we don't care for their usual select wine?

No worries about the info, you are welcome.

Unfortunately like I said, we are not big on alcohol, on our Jewel 7-day cruise last month it took us like 6 days to drink a 750ml bottle of wine between the 2 of us! lol but true....But being the non-drinkers that we are, it seemed to me that they did have quite a selection to choose from. If my memory serves me right, I think the Complimentary Wine List was a binder with at least 4 pages of various wines.

On a side note, they have made restrictions using the complimentary Platinum dinner vouchers at the Le Bistro and La Cucina restaurants, you can now only order 1 starter or appetizer, 1 main course and 1 dessert. No second helpings, not even with the starters/appetizers. And you can no longer use the complimentary dinners at the Brazilian Restaurant anymore. The Brazilian Restaurant is awesome and you could use the complimentary dinners there until December 2015, not anymore though! I think the Brazilian is now a $24.95 fixed charge restaurant.

Edited by rekarlu

We don't care much for any wine. But for a $6 retail wine, the Beringers White Zinfardel, as a slightly sweet fruity wine goes, gets good reviews. Also, NCL has their own label of several wines, North South, including a Merlot. Again, I'm sure a wine guru would tear it apart. But, for me it is quite adequate. Last time we had the UBP, so since I could get glasses of wine with dinner with that, I just got our Platinum dinner wines unopened and brought them home as a cruise souvenir. Since I can buy the Beringer locally for $6, I brought the Merlot home, which I have since drunk.

Unfortunately like I said, we are not big on alcohol, on our Jewel 7-day cruise last month it took us like 6 days to drink a 750ml bottle of wine between the 2 of us! lol but true....But being the non-drinkers that we are, it seemed to me that they did have quite a selection to choose from. If my memory serves me right, I think the Complimentary Wine List was binder with at least 4 pages of various wines.

LOL, well DH doesn't drink at all so it's all me, Yay!! :p However, I don't drink much either so to be able to choose something light and refreshing will be great, thanks again. (just as a comparison, the gratuity they charge for the UBP is more than what we/I spend for alcohol for the week)

We don't care much for any wine. But for a $6 retail wine, the Beringers White Zinfardel, as a slightly sweet fruity wine goes, gets good reviews. Also, NCL has their own label of several wines, North South, including a Merlot. Again, I'm sure a wine guru would tear it apart. But, for me it is quite adequate. Last time we had the UBP, so since I could get glasses of wine with dinner with that, I just got our Platinum dinner wines unopened and brought them home as a cruise souvenir. Since I can buy the Beringer locally for $6, I brought the Merlot home, which I have since drunk.

Well, we live in wine country so, could probably walk to about 10 wineries in about an hour... might have to crawl home though.. : I don't care for "hard liquor" and will only drink light, refreshing wines so..while Zinfandel is not a favourite and costs more than twice your cost of $6/750 ml, it will do unless they offer the Rufino Pinot Grigio... ;)

Anyway, glad that we have some choices.

OP, we usually get a few bottles of wine (the viva vino package is good for us) good luck and hope you enjoy your cruise, cheers, Connie :D

Unfortunately like I said, we are not big on alcohol, on our Jewel 7-day cruise last month it took us like 6 days to drink a 750ml bottle of wine between the 2 of us! lol but true....But being the non-drinkers that we are, it seemed to me that they did have quite a selection to choose from. If my memory serves me right, I think the Complimentary Wine List was a binder with at least 4 pages of various wines.

On a side note, they have made restrictions using the complimentary Platinum dinner vouchers at the Le Bistro and La Cucina restaurants, you can now only order 1 starter or appetizer, 1 main course and 1 dessert. No second helpings, not even with the starters/appetizers. And you can no longer use the complimentary dinners at the Brazilian Restaurant anymore. The Brazilian Restaurant is awesome and you could use the complimentary dinners there until December 2015, not anymore though! I think the Brazilian is now a $24.95 fixed charge restaurant.

This was not the case on our BA cruise jan 31 to Feb 14.

It was not stated on the voucher and we order more that one appetizer each and were not charged for the extras. This was the BA's first cruise with the a la carte menus so maybe that will change in the upcoming weaks.

This was not the case on our BA cruise jan 31 to Feb 14.

It was not stated on the voucher and we order more that one appetizer each and were not charged for the extras. This was the BA's first cruise with the a la carte menus so maybe that will change in the upcoming weaks.

I was on the Jewel 1/24 to 1/31 and they would not allow me to order the mushroom soup and escargot which I have enjoyed for many years. I had to select one or the other.

I was on the Jewel 1/24 to 1/31 and they would not allow me to order the mushroom soup and escargot which I have enjoyed for many years. I had to select one or the other.

We were on the Escape Jan 16-23rd and I asked if we could get two appetizers instead of dessert for our Platinum dinner and the answer was 'no problem'. There was no additional charge. I've also read another poster who ordered two appetizers and was just charged for the cheaper one. The Mushroom soup is well worth $3!

We were on the Escape Jan 16-23rd and I asked if we could get two appetizers instead of dessert for our Platinum dinner and the answer was 'no problem'. There was no additional charge. I've also read another poster who ordered two appetizers and was just charged for the cheaper one. The Mushroom soup is well worth $3!

The problem I have is the present management of NCL is sneaking away our platinum benefits with no warning.

I have enjoyed the same meal for many years, and now I was told I could no longer enjoy it. That is irritating to say the least.

I followed this cruise with one on the Carnival Miracle, and found many items that NCL has restricted to be freely furnished on Carnival with no upcharges or restrictions.

Edited by swedish weave

The problem I have is the present management of NCL is sneaking away our platinum benefits with no warning.

I have enjoyed the same meal for many years, and now I was told I could no longer enjoy it. That is irritating to say the least.

Good point! It is interesting that no matter how many Platinum members are in a room, you still get only one 4-piece box of Godiva chocolates. :rolleyes:

Typical NCL. Different ships doing things differently.

I wish they could get their act together!

Since mine was the last of the cruises people mentioned here, maybe they are going back to no restrictions on apps and desserts. Maybe too many complaints?

I doubt it but one can always hope!

Lois

Boy, what a coincidence. We were on the same exact sailing date, the Jewel Mexican Riviera and I had the same exact "problem" at Le Bistro....I tried to order mushroom soup and escargot and they also said the same thing, one or the other but not both! I chose the escargots.

so..while Zinfandel is not a favourite and costs more than twice your cost of $6/750 ml, it will do unless they offer the Rufino Pinot Grigio... ;)

Ruffino Pinot Grigio is our go-to wine on NCL's regular wine list as they have a poor selection of Rieslings that I usually prefer for example on Celebrity.

I can't remember for sure if Ruffino PG is also on the complimentary wine list but I'd assume so because otherwise we'd have had problems choosing the wine for several cruises now and I think that I remembered that. ;) (On our cruise last month I didn't choose the wine (ie. look at the list) as our group selected two reds that we took to the resort we stayed at after the cruise as everybody had UBP onboard.)

My spouse and I have just returned from our 7th cruise on NCL, and are now platinum level. I've read about the new restriction on the "free" dinner at Le Bistro -- app or soup but not both -- and it strikes me as a petty little thing (petty on the part of NCL) that is so totally off-putting to me as a "loyal" customer.

If you look at what NCL's platinum latitudes members get versus how other cruise lines treat their highest loyalty program levels, it was imho already pretty lagging. This new thing is so cheap. It really turns me off. And it's not because I need a four-course meal. It's because it's so petty.

My spouse and I have just returned from our 7th cruise on NCL, and are now platinum level. I've read about the new restriction on the "free" dinner at Le Bistro -- app or soup but not both -- and it strikes me as a petty little thing (petty on the part of NCL) that is so totally off-putting to me as a "loyal" customer.

If you look at what NCL's platinum latitudes members get versus how other cruise lines treat their highest loyalty program levels, it was imho already pretty lagging. This new thing is so cheap. It really turns me off. And it's not because I need a four-course meal. It's because it's so petty.

The complimentary box of Godiva chocolate used to be a box of 6 pieces, it is now a small box of 4 pieces. So add that to the restrictions of the complimentary dinner. What next? Perhaps something like "A complimentary GLASS of wine with your dinner" instead of a BOTTLE of wine! Not that it matters to us as we do not care for alcohol, period! But hey, NCL, there's room for yet another cutback in that bottle of Two Buck Chuck! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

On the Jewel very recently there was an extensive wine list for "special guests" (i.e. Platinum members). I was surprised at the variety (probably 30-40 reds - don't know about whites as I don't drink white). I'd suggest everything on this list would have been in the $8-12 range at your local wine store in Canada... so basically free ;) in the US.

If by Zinfandel you actually mean Zinfandel and not white Zinfandel, there was a passable Ravenswood Zin of Zins that did the trick with the tenderloin. We also a had a Central Valley Chilean Cab on our second visit (we're both Plat) that was obviously so memorable that the name escapes me.

Happy cruising all,

csm