Just off 2/14 Liberty sailing...

I am booked for November 13th and have a couple of questions about the Liberty after dry dock. Did they do any upgrades to the existing balcony cabins, or was it mainly new construction? Also, what is a freeflow machine? And one more... are they doing the Mystery Dinner? Thanks kids for all the info! I love these forums! :)

I have a quick question for OP and others about Sabor. I keep hearing how great it is. We've never been on a ship that offered it, so I'm toying with making that one of our specialty dinner nights.

But that being said... We live in San Antonio, Texas - truly the Tex-Mex capital of the world! I'm worried we will be underwhelmed! I WAS happy to hear about Sabor having the best margaritas on board. That might be reason enough to give a try. Any recommendations? Seems like a pretty decent marg menu!

Thanks,

Ann

If I lived in San Antonio I would not book Sabor! We're from Oklahoma and found Sabor to be very bland for Mexican food. The guacamole is outstanding and the assorted desserts are very tasty. We have tried Sabor twice and were disappointed both times in everything else except the snapper.

I have a quick question for OP and others about Sabor. I keep hearing how great it is. We've never been on a ship that offered it, so I'm toying with making that one of our specialty dinner nights.

But that being said... We live in San Antonio, Texas - truly the Tex-Mex capital of the world! I'm worried we will be underwhelmed! I WAS happy to hear about Sabor having the best margaritas on board. That might be reason enough to give a try. Any recommendations? Seems like a pretty decent marg menu!

Thanks,

Ann

The food is not Tex-Mex, but upscale Mexican. When Sabor was first announced on Navigator ( the first ship to get a Sabor and home ported in Galveston) many had negative comments before they tried it. It got rave reviews from most and then everyone wanted a Sabor to be added during dry dock. I am one that loves it. Gauc is good and they will make to your taste. I'm looking forward to the new Sabor on LB in March. 💃

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going in the end of March. When I do my review, I'll be sure to post them, I've been trying to find them myself somewhere out here.

Wishing you a great cruise. If you are sailing on the Western itinerary, could you please post the daily Cruise compass and the Teen one too?

Thanks so much!

I am booked for November 13th and have a couple of questions about the Liberty after dry dock. Did they do any upgrades to the existing balcony cabins, or was it mainly new construction? Also, what is a freeflow machine? And one more... are they doing the Mystery Dinner? Thanks kids for all the info! I love these forums! :)

No Coke Freestyle yet, but rumors (not from Royal) of one coming in a few weeks.

Any reviews on the promenade view rooms? Were they updated? Also, as I understand from reading through this post, we do not have to make reservations for the ice show, correct? Can we ice skate at certain times? How were the lines for flow rider and rock wall? Going on April 24th. First RCCL!

Thanks,

Ann

Ann, your's is a fair question. Taste is such a subjective thing. We have enjoyed Sabor on each of our three visits and while we don't live in San Antonio, there are plenty of well above average Mexican Food locations in Houston. It is a Mexian cuisine as opposed to Tex Mex. They offer some very unique dishes though and I think if you study the menu you'll find something to your liking.

Having said this, living in Texas, the steak capital of the world, Chops has nothing on a steak, but for some reason, many think it's the best. Not so for us.

At least go for the margaritas! :D I recommend the Jalepeno-Cucumber. Damn tasty. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

The wife had the Ultimate, I had the Premium. We never ran into a situation of ordering drinks at a higher cost than the pkg would cover. We ordered top shelf for everything as well. Patron, Gentleman Jack, Titos, Grey Goose, It's our opinion the the pkgs are the way to go on a 3 port cruise. The Ultimate offered the specialty coffees, and the fresh squeezed OJ (which is very delicious) Between the bottle waters, beers, wine and drinks, it's a good deal. I don't think the wife used hers to the fullest extent. But I really don't mind. She's pretty frugal and if she had to pay for each of her drinks, she would limit herself based on cost. And... I don't want her to do this so I just buy her the pkg. I think she had maybe a max of 4 drinks for only one day. I recognize that to some it just doesn't make sense, but I want her to cruise worry free and not swet the small stuff. :D

You'll need to do the math for your level of drinking. Figure $12/drink, add bottled water @ $4 ea.

Does the Liberty now have Tito's vodka? We were on the last sailing of the Liberty before dry dock and there was no Tito's! :mad:

Ann, your's is a fair question. Taste is such a subjective thing. We have enjoyed Sabor on each of our three visits and while we don't live in San Antonio, there are plenty of well above average Mexican Food locations in Houston. It is a Mexian cuisine as opposed to Tex Mex. They offer some very unique dishes though and I think if you study the menu you'll find something to your liking.

Having said this, living in Texas, the steak capital of the world, Chops has nothing on a steak, but for some reason, many think it's the best. Not so for us.

At least go for the margaritas! :D I recommend the Jalepeno-Cucumber. Damn tasty. Enjoy your cruise.

When you were on NOS did you try the Nolan Ryan steak from chops. DW tried it, loved it. We are not from the steak capitol of the world but she still loves a good steak

Thanks,

Ann

I think you have to check it out for yourself. We were on one of the first cruises after the Navigator dry dock and opted not to do Sabor because we live in San Antonio and have all this great Mexican food. Next cruise we tried it and now it is our favorite of all the Royal Caribbean specialty restaurants.

OK. I live in Texas. I have been on many RCL sailings. Since Sabor was introduced on Navigator, I sailed Navigator 3 times. Sabor was excellent all 3 times. Now that they have expanded to other ships I worried that they would not be able to replicate it. We are now booked on Liberty. So we hope it will be as great as we have two nights booked at Sabor on Liberty.

Chops USED TO BE the best steak house on the seas. They have declined in service and value. Unfortunate.

If you only book one specialty resatuarant, book Sabor in my opinion. Or book Izumi if they offer it. Unfortunately Liberty doesn't offer Izumi as Navigator did. So big loss for us sailing out of Galveston.

When you were on NOS did you try the Nolan Ryan steak from chops. DW tried it, loved it. We are not from the steak capitol of the world but she still loves a good steak

Never heard of this. What kind of cut is a Nolan Ryan steak?

Thank you to all who have been sharing your Liberty expertise!

We were wondering how embarkation flows at Galveston pier? Does it begin curbside? One thing I enjoyed at NOLA was how our bags were swooped away so quickly. On our first cruise in Seattle, I remember having to go up escalators with all of our things.

I appreciate your replies in advance. Thank you!

Thanks all for the comments about Sabor. I'm glad you thought it was a fair question :)! I didn't want to offend, but I too thought it would be a hard sell to get folks in Texas to buy into a Latin themed restaurant.

Our last several years of cruising, we've made the conscious decision to skip the MDR altogether and stick with specialty restaurants and the WJ. It will be nice to try some place new besides Chops when we sail in May!

JJ and SouthTexas Girl, this is good news :) I drink way more water when I have the freestyle machines onboard.

Freestyle Machine....Serves Coke products in many varieties, you choose. They have it at some fast food places currently, off the top of my head, Five Guys and Burger King are the ones I can think of.

Wishing you a great cruise. If you are sailing on the Western itinerary, could you please post the daily Cruise compass and the Teen one too?

Thanks so much!

I sure will, we are Western w/ stops in Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel.