Which Luau of all the islands is the best?

merle65

Since it is doubtful anyone has gone to all of them you will probably get a lot of different answers based on which ones they have gone to. :)

Of the three I have gone to (Royal Kona Hotel - Kailua Kona, Polynesian Cultural Center - Oahu, Old Lahaina Luau - Lahaina) my choice would be the Old Lahaina Luau. Good food/drinks, great entertainment including the imu ceremony, right on the beach with a great view for sundown.

The drawback for you is POA docks on the other side of the island so you would have transportation problems getting there and back. :(

I can't decide which Luau to do, which one is the best? We want food and drinks included.Are any of them near beach?We will be on The Pride of America.

One thing you might want to consider first is whether you want to see a luau that is representative of the Hawaiian culture or of the larger South Pacific area. These are two different types of luaus.

I think that the Old Lahaina Luau was better than other luaus I've attended & many travel writers agree about this luau on the beach.

If you want things like fire performances then the OLL would not be your best option since it's Hawaiian performances & not Samoan. To me other less expensive luaus have a lower quality & fewer choices of food and their entertainment is also all about the same. I'm not saying it's bad because many people enjoy these luaus and we have gone with visiting Ohana who couldn't afford the OLL which unlike other luaus rarely, if ever discounts the price & often sells out well in advance.

If you want Samoan fire performers, New Zealand, Tahitian & Hawaiian performances then consider the Feast at Lele (original name for Lahaina) on the beach in Lahaina. It costs a little bit more than the OLL and both are produced by the same company. It's a sit-down meal with great food & drink from those four cultures and each course pairs the food with great entertainment from each culture. The courses are created by the highly respected Chef James McDonald whose Pacific'o restaurant adjacent to the Feast has entrées costing about $40.

When it's just the 2 of us without any visiting Ohana & we're celebrating a special day, we go to either the Feast at Lele or the OLL...in that order. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

The Feast at Lele is also on the Lahaina (west) side of Maui like Old Lahaina Luau. But if you rent a car either of them will work.

Since you have an overnight on Kauai you might also consider Smith Family Garden Luau. It seems to get decent reviews.

The best show is the one at the Polynesian Culture Center on Oahu.

The best food and alcohol drinks is the Feast at Lele. The Feast at Lele is table seating and food and drinks served. You don't need to stand in line. Also, the show is put on between courses since the courses are food from the different cultures. More food then you can hope to eat, so pace how much you eat with each serving.

http://www.feastatlele.com/

More food then you can hope to eat, so pace how much you eat with each serving.

http://www.feastatlele.com/

The first time going to the Feast at Lele I decided to also get a beer from each region with each course which was a mistake & I couldn't finish all of them.

I like how they serve each course...a plate for each item that is shared so we can each get how much we want. We enjoyed the variety of the food based on the different cultures but that may not be enjoyable for everyone & they should view the menu on their website.

The photo section of their website shows images of the great Feast at Lele experience. Just like the OLL, the Feast at Lele will frequently be completely booked in advance. Table sizes vary from a table for two to tables that can accommodate a larger group.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 3 weeks later...

We loved the Chief's Luau. We arranged to be picked up and dropped off from a nearby hotel (we stayed in Waikiki for 2 nights before the cruise).

We paid extra for "royal" seats, but I would guess that there were less than 150 people there so all the seats were good. No long lineups at the buffet and we could go back for more if we wanted. The drinks were good.

The show was great. Fire dancing and handsome guys and beautiful young women. There was a certain amount of audience participation. There were activities before dinner (ti leaf headband weaving, imu ceremony...I forget what else). The Chief personally greeted everyone at the beginning and said goodbye to everyone at the end. It felt like we were at a private family celebration rather than being herded around with thousands of others.

I would highly recommend it if you have an evening in Honolulu or Waikiki.

We loved the Chief's Luau. We arranged to be picked up and dropped off from a nearby hotel (we stayed in Waikiki for 2 nights before the cruise).

We paid extra for "royal" seats, but I would guess that there were less than 150 people there so all the seats were good. No long lineups at the buffet and we could go back for more if we wanted. The drinks were good.

The show was great. Fire dancing and handsome guys and beautiful young women. There was a certain amount of audience participation. There were activities before dinner (ti leaf headband weaving, imu ceremony...I forget what else). The Chief personally greeted everyone at the beginning and said goodbye to everyone at the end. It felt like we were at a private family celebration rather than being herded around with thousands of others.

I would highly recommend it if you have an evening in Honolulu or Waikiki.

Thank you

What are everyones thoughts on Cheif's Luau in Oahu?

Besides going to the Polynesian Cultural Center in 1981 we've never been to a luau on O'ahu. Trip Advisor ranks the Chief's Luau #1 on O'ahu and in previous discussions about O'ahu luaus it was said that they can provide reasonably priced transportation. Their luau is located at Sea Life Park on the southeastern corner of the island & posts that I've read people enjoyed their experiences.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g29222-Activities-c58-t251-Oahu_Hawaii.html

What are everyones thoughts on Cheif's Luau in Oahu?

The Chief's has a good reputation, but I wouldn't put much store in the TA ranking since half the luaus on the island are not in the link that was referenced. Missing were the PCC, Royal Hawaiian, Hilton Hawaiian and the show at the Princess Kaiulani, that could be classed as a luau. The trouble is half are ranked under "Things to do" and the other half are ranked under "Restaurants".

• 3 weeks later...
Would it be best to get a taxi to get to the Luau Feast at Lele? It looks really nice and I think it might be fun.

It would be best to rent a car which would be about a third of the cost of a taxi which this state of Hawaii airport website estimates would be $156 roundtrip to Lahaina. I'm guessing that you're arriving at Kahului harbor which is about the same distance as from their airport & is the basis for the estimated taxi fare.

http://hawaii.gov/ogg/ground-transportation/taxi-cabs

A shuttle may be another option but as I recall it costs about the same as a taxi.

Edited by Astro Flyer