All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Sally. I had a little Jill therapy today [emoji6]. Ice blue shirt & margarita green (3/4 sleeve with rounded split hem). They were just unpacking them. It came in pink, white & the green. Almost bought a scarf too. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sally, your packing list looks great. For our only three-week vacation, my packing list had a similar number of items (though more cold weather clothes because of the itinerary). Laundry is a given on a trip that long. I was heartily sick of those clothes when we got home. There was very little shopping on Antarctica.

I remember Anita saying that her TA was colder than she had planned for. I'm sure you have the layering thing mastered. I'm wondering about your raincoat... is it a lightweight jacket style or a heavier trench coat style? Do you think you might want a lightweight fleece or fleece vest in there to layer under your raincoat, or over sweaters? We visited London one Memorial Day weekend and I wore my raincoat with a scarf every day because it was gray and chilly. Maybe even a pair of thin gloves? You have that thin Florida blood. :) I don't remember your itinerary or how far north you might be going.

I always pack a pair of fluffy socks to wear in the cabin or hotel room. For some reason my feet are always either too hot or too cold.

Laurie, I used to wish that I had "normal' eyes. I didn't like the brown spot because people would stare at it and ask me about it, and I was a shy child. I actually never noticed anything unusual about your smile. I think sometimes these things loom larger to us than they do to others, but like Anita says they are what makes for character in our faces and makes us us.

I have a 50-something friend who whitened her teeth, and they are SO white it's freaky. I think some people confuse what actors do because it looks better on screen with how those things look IRL. We once sat with a woman on a cruise who had so much botox that when she smiled, the center of her face looked nice, but she had these rings like a sharpei all around the edges. Things like that make me very cautious about going down the "fixing things" road.

I am really looking forward to our 10 day cruise in November. I am less likely to pack each day so full, so it's more relaxing and the time seems to stretch out more.

Melody, I want to have dinner at your house!

Margaret , We are going to Portugal & Spain . My rain jacket is lightweight but I do have two sweaters on my packing list .I was in Ireland in early September and it was snowing so I know about layering . It has been a long time since I have been to Europe so I am getting super excited .

Here you go ladies. This makes a huge amount. I freeze one half before adding pasta

6qt crockpot

4 large boneless chicken breasts (can use thighs if you prefer)

Large can of diced tomatoes (if you like very juicy add a small can too)

20 oz jar spaghetti sauce (any kind). I make my own in the summer & use it.

Large can tomato paste

Large can tomato sauce

5 tbsp parsley

3 tbsp oregano

1 tbsp sugar (cuts the acidity)

1 diced onion

2 yellow or orange bell peppers (chunks)

Box of macaroni (your choice)

Add all except peppers & pasta, cook on high 6 hours or low for 8 hours. Last hour add the peppers. I freeze half at the end of 8 hours & cut up the chicken into the crockpot (if it hasn't already fallen apart). I cook the macaroni separately & just mix into the crockpot for serving. Each half makes 6-8 good sized servings.

I made this often for pot lucks at work as it's so easy, or when our kids come to dinner. A salad & you're all set (goes nicely with a good Pinot Grigio as well). Melody

Yum! Thank you for the recipe, Melody. I love using my crockpot. I even use it in the summer so I don't heat up the kitchen (my apartment kitchen is small and can get very hot).

Wine sounds good right now. :D

Sally, your trip sounds awesome. Except for London two years ago, we haven't been to Europe in quite a while. I once read a book set in Seville, and ever since I have wanted to travel in Spain. I hope you have a wonderful time.

68 today, I was driving with the sun roof open. In February!

Wine always sounds good. Especially after losing to Louisville. :(

I like using a crock pot too. I used mine today for a batch of chili. I use organic ground turkey in place of the beef. There is a taste difference between ground turkey and ground beef, but in chili it isn't nearly as noticeable. I like using organic tomatoes too. I just couldn't find organic kidney beans.

I try to make as much as I can with organics and non processed food items, but I can't always do that.

I have a favorite quick meal to make. It has pasta, salmon, tomatoes and pesto. It's healthy and filling and only takes about 20 minutes total to make. For me, I need to get things going in the crock pot in the morning, or look for good recipes that don't take long when cooking during the week.

Margaret, I know what you mean about teeth whitening. A lot of times I will see someone, and I find myself saying "look how white their teeth are!" Really, that isn't a compliment. If it were a compliment, I'd be saying "look how beautiful their smile is!" We get hung up on things, I guess. I think that sometimes, I lose my perspective a bit and it's good to be brought back to what is really important.

The smile comes from within!

On a completely different note, I'm trying to find a suit. Still. I am looking for anything but black or gray, and it needs to be something I can buy as separates. I have checked JC Penney, Lord and Taylor, Macy's, Express, New York and Company, Banana Republic, Dress Barn, White House Black Market....any other suggestions? I'm going to do a quick check of Loft shortly, but the last time I looked, I think they may have had some brown pants, but no jackets.

I will wear a "mismatched" suit, but I was looking for a matching one if I could find it. I got a beige jacket at Dress Barn today, but it's a bit springy. I really, really need to be able to pull some work outfits together. Express had some really nice pants I got not too long ago, but I'm having trouble with tops and jackets to go with them. I'm not keen on khaki at this time of the year in jackets - I'm used to darker tones for winter. once it gets into spring, then at least I have two jackets I can use.

The dress pants from Express are rust and the other pair is caramel. I found teal at JC Penney. I'm struggling to bring a whole outfit together right now.

Laurie look at Dillard's (I'm not sure if you have Dillard's in NY). Our daughter bought an Alex Marie suit (separates) yesterday in tobacco brown (kind of a greenish brown, great color), maybe you could look up the brand. Melody

http://www.dillards.com/p/preston--york-elsy-notch-collar-stretch-suiting-jacket/506869540?di=04938156_zi_dark_sunbaked&categoryId=688131&facetCache=pageSize%3D96%26beginIndex%3D96%26orderBy%3D1%26emphasize%3D03488423

IF I did that correctly, it is a color called Dark Sunbaked. Like Melody said, there are several jackets at Dillards online.

Also, try looking at Talbots and Chicos. Talbots colors aren't very EARTHy right now, and Chicos has more natural lines rather than classic, but if you can push the envelope a little and use a zip jacket rather than buttoned-banker style, I've bought Chicos jackets and paired them with pants and skirts already in my closet for a more polished look. Skirts really pair well with the more modern silhouette in my world. I'd be willing to attend court, so maybe it would work for your job too? A pair of kitten heels or higher, and the jacket goes from weekend look to corporate very easily. Again, in my opinion.

Has anyone ever heard of Soduko wardrobe planning?

I'm a member on a sewing pattern review site and they do these sewing challenges...I took a look over there the other day and one that is currently running is a Soduko wardrobe sewing challenge. Basically, it's a 4x4 Soduko grid with each square representing a top, bottom, accessory, and shoes. Depending on where the item is on the grid, it either works to make 3 or 2 different outfits. An accessory can be anything from a scarf to a sweater or jacket...

Just another tool. Out of those 16 items, the plan gives you 10 outfits. In theory, the idea seems like a good way to try to plan a mix and match wardrobe but recognizing that maybe not everything matches with absolutely everything...just a visual for how what you have goes together or doesn't.

I didn't think of Dillards. I will look over there shortly! I feel desperate.

I did find a few nice things at Dress Barn on Sunday, and I had a 25% off coupon to use. We don't have one in our area, but I can look and see what there return policy is for online shopping.

Melody, good luck with your surgery! Your shawls look great. I haven't had the chance to start working on one, but I want to soon.

Anita, that sounds a lot like what we see in the Vivienne files, isn't it? I like the idea of working with some basics, and then making different outfits with the accessories and so forth. One of the things I do when getting ideas for a cruise is to lay out the shorts, for example, because I usually have a limited amount of them. Then I start pairing tops. Then I move the tops around. I do the same with scarves, jewelry and footwear.

I don't think every earth color looks good together, just as the styles don't always work together. But I think using something like that as a basis is a great way to do things. I really want to work with that more. It sounds like the Soduku format is a good way to do it.

Melody...hope your surgery went well.

Here's a short story...sorry if I've told it before...I too have an overbite. This incident happened years and years ago after I had just been to the dentist and his son who had just become a dentist was in the room while I had my examination (I had given him my approval to be there). He told me that he could really help me out with my overbite and could make my teeth look perfectly even using some new technique or whatever it was. Anyway, the next day I told my then boyfriend who freaked out. No! No! No! Don't let anyone touch your overbite. It's part of who you are. You have the greatest smile I've ever seen...everyone loves your smile. No! Don't do it. It would be crazy. That's the reaction I basically got from several other friends when I mentioned getting my overbite fixed. Needless to say I never did it and still have my overbite. It's amazing how you don't realize what people love the most about your looks until you mention that you might change something. I'm glad I never got my teeth fixed because to this day the thing I get complimented on the most is my smile. I also have a chip in one of my front teeth which the dentist suggested should be fixed. That one I did fix and I can't believe how many of my friends said..."Why'd you do that for?" They thought it was cute! LOL! You just don't know.

Just got back from Cancun. The wedding was perfect and lots of fun. Weather was great, food was great, but best of all the people were just amazing. My niece's friends were so welcoming to me as an older person and the groom's family was wonderful. All in all it was a big love fest and, rare for a wedding, not a single thing went wrong. The wedding was beautiful.

All my outfits got raves from everyone from the younger group to the 88 yr-old grandmother. I was really feeling good about my choices. Only two tops and two pairs of Capris didn't get worn. I also could have left one of the swimsuits home. All in all we had a fantastic time and are now looking forward to the other niece's wedding in June on a dude ranch in Colorado.

Coming up is a trip to FL to see the folks and as it turns out my BFF in the whole wide world is going to FL to visit another of our BFF's and we are all going to meet up in Boca Raton for 4 days. I'm so excited!!! After that it's the DS's college graduation in AZ in early May.

Still doesn't look like we'll be going on a cruise this year so I'm living vicariously through all of yours! So keep the details and outfit choices coming!.

So that's what's up with me. Love hearing about your trips!

Peace...Mousey

FYI...the Suduko idea is also know as Capsule Dressing. Check out Pinterest as they have loads and loads of ideas for that kind of packing and dressing. I have tons of them on my board and plan to use one of them for my upcoming FL trip. I didn't use it for the wedding because there were so many different activities that required different types of clothing. Like the Pirate Booze Cruise which I'll tell you about another day. It was a blast! And I got blasted! LOL!:eek::D

Sally...your packing list is what made me remember the Soduko method, because it reads like it! I like the theory of the Soduko method. I haven't tried it myself...but I'm feeling restless with my clothes...so I've been thinking about different planning ideas.

Margaret did a thing a while back. I can't recall why but I thought she purposed to wear something different everyday of the week and work her way through her wardrobe...why did you do that again Margaret? Was it literally to wear everything you own at least once before repeating?

I've been observing the laundry and it seems that I keep wearing the same few items...over and over. That's why I'm thinking about wardrobe ideas...even though I'm not going anywhere...just doing a sort of capsule wardrobe for at home. Taking the time to really plan out what I'll wear for the next few weeks or so...I've never been much of a wardrobe planner in my normal life...but the few times that I've taken the time to figure out outfits...it's really helped. And if I only plan for trips...well...that'd be so sad. I don't have any trips planned for so long.

Melody...I was married at a dude ranch Colorado! SO funny. Mine was July. It was lovely weather. The only thing that was kind of funny was that the water was really rushing through the river on the property with the spring melt from the higher elevations and I hadn't miked up the ceremony, which was outside, so my guests had a really hard time hearing the actual ceremony. Oh well. I heard it just fine. :')

Hope your surgery is successful Melody...that's such rough business.

Any luck yet Laurie?

Well, I'm home & resting. Quite a bit of pain but expected that. Thanks for all the well wishes

Mousey, sounds like a fantastic vacation

We had friends get married at Estes Park (@ Boulder Brook) last summer & they had the same sound issue, what a beautiful wedding

Here's a picture of the wedding we attended in Ft Myers in November at the Burroughs House (look it up its a historic landmark)6af548f1caee0136696a4b5b7919a3db.jpg390245d8357c58b200f942c145426e3a.jpg. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm at the very far right in my turquoise/navy/khaki jacket

Melody, I love those wedding pictures! They are beautiful. I'm a sucker for weddings anyway. I love the whole planning process, and all those subcategories...flowers, venue, decor, clothing. It fits my personality well.

To a certain degree, Anita, I apply this theory to my work clothes as well. When someone where's a lot of black, no one really thinks about it. It absorbs light, and I think often, the details get lost as a result. So no one says, "is that the same pair of black pants from two days ago, or a different pair?" I find myself realizing how much it looks like I'm wearing the same thing. Again.

So I give a lot of thought to how the outfits come together, and how to make a different outfit out of the same suit or pants. Ideally, having 3 suits in my wardrobe, then mix and match blazers and pants of about 4 each is ideal. This way, it doesn't look repetitive. You can change the shirt, shoes, jewelry and/or scarf, and it's new again.

I need to finish looking at Dillards, but I did see a few possibilities. I saw what looked like a lovely chocolate brown suit, but the jacket alone was $199.00, so that is not happening.

I did see some great earth colors for skinny jeans on sale last week at Bon Ton, but they didn't have my size in the store so I ordered online. I goofed. The brown turned out to be a very cool, faded brown/gray color that doesn't work for me at all. Burnt red turned out to be a cool cranberry type color. I should have ordered the rust like color, which is what I wanted in the store. I think it was called sienna? Anyway, the two skinny jeans are going back. I didn't have to have them, but I thought they would be a nice addition. Bummer.

We went to the final home game of the season yesterday for Syracuse basketball. Just me and 30,000 of my closest friends! It was a great game. It was exciting and a bit emotional, since it was senior day.

I plan to check out Dillard's online very shortly. It's been cold here, but today is much better than yesterday. We did a lot of outside walking based on parking and the location of the Dome, and it was 11 degrees. Very cold!

Laurie, Hope you find something at Dillard's. The suit separates my daughter bought were on the 65% off rack (might've been same jacket, original price was $199).

I always played with my suit combos too. I had a large work wardrobe (mostly because I didn't change size) which really helped. Each month I'd lay out 2 weeks worth of clothes & rotate around them for the month.

Glad you got to a Syracuse game.

Glad you liked the pictures, it was a fabulous wedding. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anita , I actually designed my packing list around what you packed for your transatlantic . I just added a few more things for layering since you mentioned it was chilly .

Melody , What a gorgeous site for a wedding .

Laurie , Have you tried the Banana Republic outlet . My daughter bought a few suits there .I spent my career in uniforms or scrubs which were pretty inexpensive but I paid top prices for my shoes so it evened out .