All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Our award travel is a combo of FF miles and AmEx miles. We'll move the AmEx miles to the airline we want to fly, in this case either Delta or British Airways. Most airlines limit the number of FF seats available though, especially in First and Business class, so it's good to book early. Back in 2009 they only allowed 2 per cabin, and many single seats were already booked, so finding 2 together on a flight was the challenge. It appears that now they just charge more miles depending on how full the flight is getting. We've been hoarding AmEx miles since China so we'll probably be ok. I've been hunting around and we may be able to go next January if we leave from Minneapolis. I need to wait until DH is home on Thursday as he's the gatekeeper of the AmEx miles. Another call to the travel agent tomorrow!

We’re finally getting a stretch of good weather so we’re putting out the lawn furniture, lawn art & gazebos today (it’s a 2 day process). Middle grandson has prom tonight & oldest granddaughter has an all day college rugby tournament tomorrow. Les said I’m tired thinking about it & we used to do this every day? Glad we were young [emoji849][emoji23][emoji23].

I ordered a bunch of swimsuits & they all arrived last night (after we’d gone to bed). We’re just lucky the packages were still on the step this morning! Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, all of the suits are going back [emoji22]. I’m going to need to be remeasured after losing the weight. Only one is a contender. It’s a navy (not my best color) ruffle tankini. It is the same navy as my Athleta tie dye swim shorts, so I might keep it, still on the fence. Picture won’t load. Melody

Aw Melody. Such a bummer when nothing really works out! I got the new Athleta catalog. They've really branched out with their swim suit designs. Many interesting one pieces.

Supposedly, I had two books delivered yesterday. Ordered at the same time but shipped separately. Supposedly, one was delivered in my mailbox and the other in a parcel box, but I didn't get either the book or the parcel box key in my mailbox. I need to flag down the postal carrier today to see what happened. The one neighbor travels a lot and stuff is always collecting in front of her door or I would just ask her if she got my things by mistake. :(

Anita, I hope your were able to find your books. My sister lives in an apartment, and when she was in the hospital, I would go and get her mail. I never liked how they left packages out and about in the hallway.

Melody, I'm sorry those swimsuits didn't work out for you. I tend to order things a lot, because it is hard for me to find what I am looking for. A lot goes back to the store, and I'm prepared for that. I am finding that I'm willing to try things even if they only stand a small chance, because what you see and what you get can be different sometimes. I've had colors that I thought were earth be air, and fire colors that turned out be earth. Fire is my go to for second choice.

I had a dress that I ordered that came in that seemed more like a fire color than earth, mostly because the yellow was more pure, not gold. But it was a soft color, like butter but stronger. It turned out to be a good color for me. I liked it so much that I wore it to graduation yesterday. They style was pretty neat. Online, I thought it was an a-line and I was very, very iffy on it. When I received it, I took it out and said it was a sheath. When I tried it on, it was an a-line, but a modest one. It was very flattering, I think? I will post a picture in a bit.

I felt like it filled a void I had in my wardrobe.

I haven't had anyone around long enough for me to try on those dresses and post pictures. I decided I was going to do all this early this morning, and I came downstairs in one of the dresses, only to find my husband was in the basement, weeding through his car parts. Right now, he is in the garage with those same car parts. I guess it was time to move them.

And my daughters are out and about.

One time, in our past conversations, Margaret was stating that she thought I was a bit of a uniform person, in that I felt that certain things have a function, and that you have to choose the right thing for the right event. I do feel that way about my clothes. I wanted to look nice yesterday, but I didn't want to look formal. If you go on Pinerest, you can find a ton of things about the different categories, such as business formal, etc. Researching things like this help me to understand why I sometimes think something isn't right, and why I don't like wearing certain clothing on a cruise, or wearing certain things to work.

I apply the same theory to other things in life too. My family room is very, very personal...for family. It is used when people come over, but it is really focused on the four of us and our pets in every way. I also picked up a piece of luggage today, because I wanted something that was ideal for traveling but short trips that don't involve a lot of clothes. I was looking for something for when we travel to Boston, or Lake Placid or some of the other small trips we are talking about. A lot of bags are okay for the gym or for overnight even, but I wanted something more. I found the perfect thing at 40% off at Bon Ton. They are closing all their stores, so I wanted to take a look. I'll post a picture of that too!

Laurie, love the pictures of you & your daughter & with your husband & daughter. I like the yellow dress.

We went to our granddaughter’s college rugby tournament today, beautiful but so unbelievably windy. 6 games, she scored 8 goals & 14 conversion points! cd5853b8a7f30cf941fced15115d3b38.jpgt6e5e3d87658a274720aff0880f74e08b.jpgd1346b39386905ce163fb8095fd8fb44.jpg. They won the tournament & ended their season with 1 loss. Scary game to watch tho! Melody

Anita, I meant to ask - are you a big reader? I very much enjoy it, but I don't get to do very much. I always read a book on vacation. Between the flying and the sea days, I find it a great time to do it. I read "The Lying Game" over my last vacation. I have some very diverse interests in reading. I have read Jane Austen novels over and over, I just love them. But my go to is mysteries. Some titles I've read over the past few years: "The Girl on the Train", "The Woman in Cabin 10", "Switchback", "Dear Daughter" and "The Trap".

Me and my sister read the same books very often, as we are always sharing what we read. I'll tell her I liked a book, so she reads it next and vice versa.

Margaret, I am still amazed about the whole planning process for Africa. Being able to have enough miles to book your trip sounds like you have a lot built up!

Melody, where did you order your swimsuits from? Athleta? One thing I have found as that they sell out of things quickly sometimes. I always hope to wait until they are on sale, but that never seems to work out for me.

I look forward to hearing about everyone's travels. Next year's cruise is too far away to plan excursions, but I want to start looking into the areas we will be visiting so I can learn about them. Boston is not that far ahead for me - 6 weeks, I think. As to the fall, after a lot of back and forth, we are winging it a bit. What we did was discuss some places we have gone to, and many years ago we went to the Vanderbilt Mansion in Hyde Park. We used that as a basis, and we are going to be going to Poughkeepsie for a few days in October. Our plan is to revisit the mansion, along with Val-Kill and the Walkway over the Hudson. I am afraid of heights, yes...but for me, this is one of the many ways I deal with it. I commit to doing it and then just do it. I'll have trouble sleeping before and after, but it feels good to face a fear head on. I was a wreck at the Grand Canyon, and I have the same issue at the top of Whiteface Mountain when we go to Lake Placid.

If we find we don't have enough time to do what we want, or we find more things to explore, we are off the whole week so we can just add a day to our travels. We are going to take the scenic route part of the way there and part of the way back. There are antique shops and the like along the way.

Melody, rugby really isn't played around here, but I saw a sign when driving that they are starting up some youth teams. I was watching a clip of a rugby player who was drafted into the NFL, and oh my goodness...what a rough sport! And they aren't well protected either! It looked like it was a little cool at the game. We had 60 degrees yesterday, and the clouds moved in. By the time we left graduation, the temp was about 50. It snowed today. Ugh.

It will be much nicer within a few days.

My husband is such a dapper guy. I know, I'm biased, lol. We did some laughing because of the whole photography on a cruise thing. He was like, "I need to point my toe outward!". He's so much fun, and my best friend. I told him we'd be the most overdressed there, to wear his jeans with the tweed jacket.

I like the yellow dress Laurie! It's a good color on you! A really great spring/summer color and not too pale. Nice find!

Tournaments are fun! We haven't been to too many sporting events lately. DS hasn't been into sports in years. I was excited when he was in marching band and we could go to the HS football games, but then he wasn't and now his school doesn't have any sports. I can't remember the last sporting event I saw... There's a minor league baseball team here in town. Tickets are pretty cheap and the stadium looks really nice...thinking that would be a fun on a nice day. I like baseball in person...it's so chill. I'm not a follower of the sport though...

I do read. A LOT. I used to be a big romance novel reader. I finally got a bit tired of reading the same basic storyline over and over though. I switched around the type of romance...gothic, historical, paranormal, etc. After the Bookmarks Book Festival last year where I realized I didn't really know too many of the authors and that despite reading as much as I do, I'm not really "well read"...I decided to improve the quality of books that I read. I could read a romance a day. But I find with some of the more intense books, including a wide variety of non-fiction too...I usually have several books going at a time these days. Some are eBooks...but then I want non-screen time reading...I think I still average about 20 books or so a month. At least.

So my latest book, I just finished today, Birds In Fall by Brad Kessler. I wanted to read it because I read his other book called Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese. I don't know if I've mentioned how DH and I are seriously thinking about keeping sheep...and so this story about goats was one I saw in a used book store. It was priced above my splurge threshold, but the library had it and so I just put a hold on it and borrowed it. Really interesting book. It's weird to say, but if you like to read the Bible, then reading this book will also give scriptures about shepherd and pastoral work versus farming work new meaning. But...I digress...Brad Kessler's Birds of Fall won the 2007 Dayton Literary Peace Prize. Which is why I wanted to read it, because I enjoyed his writing and the whole deal with wanting to be more well read. Funny enough, the library didn't have that one, BUT the used book store did for $1.00! I hadn't even bothered to read what it was about...it's not a happy story. So I was shocked at what happened in the first chapter...which is something that is written all over the book. Enjoy is not the word I would use to describe reading this one...but I know I will read it again.

I can't believe how close our trip is! Just over 6 weeks away! I'm trying to hold off worry and panic about being prepared!

Thanks all for the warm welcome! I'm sure after a while I'll do better at keeping straight who's who.

Our new nephew/cousin, who can figure these things! b41eeade576dddda30d3ef4d44ccbd42.jpgbc6e6e4c0893da613fd52546b1a55c82.jpg. Yes, his Dad is a Green Beret

So much cuteness:hearteyes: Congratulations to your family.

Here we are goofing off, because she always requires a picture like this.

And one of the luggage. We chose the one on the right. [ATTACH]420454[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Love the silly picture. The dress is lovely and I like how the yellow is also in your daughter's dress.

Bon-ton question: have they updated to closing all stores? We've recently lost Sears, JC Penny, Macys, and K-Mart (still have one local K-Mart). If we lose Bon-ton I think the only department store we'll have left is Boscov's and that's only at one mall.

Laurie , That dress is really nice .Very Flattering !

Melody , Nice pictures

Paccruise , He is adorable

I read a lot . I always have a book going .I also belong to a book club .I enjoy the book club because it gets me to read books I would not have been drawn towards .I am a big mystery reader but I will read anything that catches my eye . Last year I went to a talk by John Grishman and Steven King . It was so interesting and so funny.Steven King lives around here and He gives a lot to the community .

I have finally made my packing list for Cuba including baby wipes since they do not have toilet paper .

Thanks all for the warm welcome! I'm sure after a while I'll do better at keeping straight who's who.

You will. But don't ever feel bad if you don't! Some of the us have been chatting about all things color, fashion, and beyond since at least 2010...which is when I joined the conversation that was already in progress. We are very happy to welcome new comers to the conversation...

btw...I DID find my books. They were both put in a parcel box in the mail center...I had good timing and ran into USPS when they were there on Saturday. The dude thinks he put the key in my box yesterday but low and behold there it was in some weird storage section of the mailbox wall? Uh huh. No foul though as my books were there safe and sound, which is all I really cared about.

They are Alaska related books. The first is called Milepost. Many recommend this as it is a great overall guide but also has literal mile by mile information about the Alaska highways. We will be driving along the Seward Highway...and also the Sterling Highway. So I was very interested in this. I thought there might some interesting info on Juneau as well.

Here's what's is so very funny to me about Juneau. No roads lead to Juneau. It is a glacier/ice field locked coastal town so the only way that you can get there is by boat or plane. However, there is a highway that runs along the coast. It goes north of the town of Juneau proper for about 40-50 miles and south a little ways. And there is literally a note in the Milepost as to where the road ends. When I read it, the title Where the Sidewalk Ends totally came to mind.

I must admit that one reason why DH and I never planned a cruise to Alaska prior to this is that we wanted to do a camping and backpacking trip. We wanted to get into Alaska more than just see it for a day here and there. I'm very happy with the cruise plan though. And I've come to realize that if you want to what they call Southeastern Alaska...you kind of have to see it on a ship of some sort, because of the whole lack of road situation.

The other book is a very detailed map book. It has roads but also topography. A per so many recommendations, we don't want to rely on any sort of electronic means of navigation, which we read can be sketchy. I like my analog maps!!

6 weeks from tomorrow we leave!

Melody have you or anyone else tried SmartWool (or any other merino brand) for more summer appropriate clothing? I'm debating getting a short sleeved shirt...I just can't seem to wrap my brain around wool in the summer but I think it could be nice to have the short sleeves in Alaska.

Anita, I do have a SmartWool camp shirt. It’s long sleeves that tab up to make short sleeves. I can’t remember where I bought it, maybe Dillard’s? I’ve had it forever & it now fits again! Woolrich is another good brand & I think Lands End has a similar shirt. They should all be on sale right now...try Sierra Trading Post. If not a women’s size try a small mans (I think mine is a mans shirt, but the tag is out of it...must’ve been scratchy). It’d make a great overshirt for you. Melody

I'm glad you found your books :) We are taking M's parents to AK for their 50th in 2022 and planning a cruise/tour combo. I like analog maps too;) . Have a great trip!

I think the right knit/weave could be comfortable in wool. Columbia (and probably others) also have lots of good moisture wicking fabrics other than wool.

I love to read, but haven't made it a priority lately. I did take a few books on our last cruise, but only got several chapters read (too much napping:D). Right now my family is participating in a Run for God study, so I am reading that workbook. I also spend far too much time on these boards, but will try to start a reading plan for the kids and I this summer where we spend some time reading print books vs. media. I appreciate the flexibility of e-readers, but there's just something about ink and paper.

Laurie , That dress is really nice .Very Flattering !

Melody , Nice pictures

Paccruise , He is adorable

I read a lot . I always have a book going .I also belong to a book club .I enjoy the book club because it gets me to read books I would not have been drawn towards .I am a big mystery reader but I will read anything that catches my eye . Last year I went to a talk by John Grishman and Steven King . It was so interesting and so funny.Steven King lives around here and He gives a lot to the community .

I have finally made my packing list for Cuba including baby wipes since they do not have toilet paper .

Hi,

I have been a lurker here for quite a while. Not being an earth I hesitate to join in.

But, I have been to Cuba many times so felt I could offer some info for you. They do have toilet paper in Cuba. In the resorts they have everything you would expect if you were to stay in most hotels anywhere. Outside of the resorts it can be a different story, so taking your own would be a good idea. They sometimes have washroom attendants that will hand out a set amount of toilet paper as you enter, sometimes expecting a monetary donation.

We have always taken those small travel size packs of kleenex with us when we venture off the resorts. Even in the airports they sometimes don't have toilet paper readily available so the travel packs are really handy.

Have a great time in Cuba.

Thanks Melody! My big interest in merino wool for Alaska is help with the stink factor!! ;p I'm packing light, as light as I can because I think we need so many different kinds of clothing because everything I'm reading is saying that there could be fluke weather where it's almost 80 degrees and we know already that it's cold around the glaciers. I'll never forget the two pictures Margaret posted... And if it turns out that I need to keep wearing the same short sleeved shirt as a base layer over and over, because the weather is that nice...I don't want it to stink! And I'm sorry, especially if this is TMI, but the fact is that a lot of the tech fabrics stink and are hard to wash. We have a lot of tech fabric in our family...maybe it's just us. Those Athleta shirts SAY that they are stink proof but apparently my stink is more powerful than their proof.

I'm researching wool and bamboo options now.

Ok...TP and Cuba is something that I guess I would have run across if I were researching going there...but just wow. NOT something I would have thought to prepare for. Sally...I really hope this trip works out. Will really enjoy hearing all about it.

Alaska is a lot of planning. I'm fortunate in that I don't work outside the house and I happen to love research, so I feel pretty comfortable planning our own. The boards here are very good for ideas but I would also encourage you to go over to TripAdvisor and check out their forums. Very helpful people and information over there. There's a lot to think about and I'll admit that some things I didn't even think about prior to booking our cruise...for instance, the whole debate of southbound versus northbound. I knew I didn't want roundtrip because I thought the one-ways had more Alaska, but I guess there's pros and cons to consider with which way you want to sail on the one ways.

And like I said, I didn't even go into that. I saw a date that worked with DS' potential summer camp schedule and there was a great cabin that happened to be available for what I thought was a good price. Done. I will say though that upon reflection, I'm very pleased with the northbound idea. Margaret did the same and she said that she appreciated how the scenery just got more and more magnificent, ending with a kind of finale at the glaciers (Hubbard or Glacier Bay depending on your cruise line). For my part...traveling 3 time zones to Vancouver...I'm happy to be getting over the possible jet lag earlier in the trip (and AK will be 4 time zones different!) I read trip reports where the people are doing the long traveling in AK (distances are HUGE) and they are struggling to stay awake to enjoy the scenery! I also feel like the cruise will be a bit of a tasting menu as we hit the ports along the SE arm and then we'll be very ready to dive into the land portion, to really get out into AK and be there overnight.

Anita,

I know what you mean about the "stink" factor on some tech fabrics - I thought it was just me;) A trick I learned this year in my kids theatre production was mixing vodka with water to spray on clothes. The vodka has some type of anti-bacterial properties (not sure if other clear alcohols would work) and dries odorless. We sprayed the costumes each night after dress rehearsal/performances and it helped. I know we can't bring vodka on board for most cruises, but you could take your spray bottle to a bar and one glass mixed with water might last the whole cruise. A little pricier than febreeze, but I find it just adds a perfume smell to the funky odor and can discolor.

Another second for vodka to reduce the stink factor. We always put a couple of nips (single serving Vodka) in our bags as The gym clothes can get rather ripe & a few squirts (take a small atomizer bottle)really makes a difference. Spray it on the inside of the clothes. Melody

Daisyloo...I just saw your countdown clock! You're going to Alaska too! So exciting! We return the day after you leave!

I did a 7 day Alaskan cruise with my mom and sister a few years ago and loved it. I wanted to go again and have my husband experience it too. One of our sons is coming along as well. We are all really looking forward to it. It's a 14 day out of Seattle that hits a few ports that don't see a lot of cruise ships. It's not as adventurous as your trip though! Wow, camping in Alaska. That is going to be a great adventure. Take lots of photos.