All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

DS IS very excited. He also got into Eastman but we were hoping for Boston over that program, because Boston is totally focused on composition while Eastman is more general music with some composition. I'm not sure how much freedom he'll have. I haven't looked over the paperwork for that level of detail yet.

Very grateful for all the tips for Boston travel! I need it!

My bamboo dresses arrived and I love them!

https://www.pikoclothing.com/collections/dresses

I purchased a long sleeved and a short sleeved. The long sleeved is Army, which is not as grey of a green as pictured on my screen. It's very much what you think of when you think of army green. The short sleeved is Rust, which I would describe more as Deep Terracotta. I kind of took a chance with these inexpensive dresses. They don't take returns...only exchanges. I was ready to purchase a few shirts in addition to the dresses but figured I'd better see how the fit was first. And now I'm wondering about a shirt or two...

I don't love the neckline, BUT the material has a good weight on it and you can kind of pull it around. It isn't uncomfortable, but I would prefer more of a scoop. I had planned to wear long necklaces and/or scarves with the dresses anyways...and that helps with the look at the neckline...that breaking up of the upper crest space...

There is NO SHAPE to these dresses. So these are pure comfort and you want to be in a place where you can not care too much about what bulges you have...the ease on the dress though is very helpful in that regard. I will say that the best accessory will be a very good fitting bra that will give the bodice area the shape needed...and then the swing of the heavy drape works to not high light my own lower problem areas...I'll be taking lots of photos so ya'll will see them after Alaska!

Those are really cute dresses and they can be changed up with scarves or jewelry .Years ago I had two knit dresses that I traveled with and I said if they has passports stamped on them everywhere they went they would be covered .

You know how you sometimes find just what you wanted while you're looking for something else? I've been looking for a low-heeled brown boot that's good for walking but isn't styled like a cowboy boot or casual boot, something with a little style:

https://www.6pm.com/p/michael-michael-kors-brody-flat-bootie-coffee/product/8875130/color/307?zhlfid=139&kpid=41152938&ef_id=WVvbOgAAASP7ZxME:20180503232111:s

Because of the pointed toe, I bought a half size up, and they are perfect!

Anita, really like those dresses, need to look at that sight (even tho I seldom wear dresses). Margaret! I want those booties! 42 here today & snow showers right now

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sally, I can return these right up at the mall. I try to always make sure I have returns or I can bring them back to a store locally. It's interesting, because I never, ever buy anything in Lord and Taylor or Macy's in person, but online they have a great selection. I just wait for good coupon deals, sales and free shipping.

Anita, cute dresses. One of the dresses I returned reminds me very much of these dresses from a shape perspective.

pacruise, I too have a lot of trouble with sizing. I have lost some weight over the past few years, and I can do much better than I used to with sizing. I'm an inverted triangle. Literally, I am two sizes bigger on top than on the bottom. I am learning a lot about the benefit of having a little stretch. It seems companies are starting to add a bit of room at the top of dresses these days, since many women are not a B or C cup. I'm a DD. So if there is a little stretch, I can buy the size right in between and usually make it work. I'm a 10 on top and a 6 in pants, so I can buy a size 8 dress quite a bit now.

I'm 5' 4 1/2". (don't forget that half inch, lol) but a bit short waisted. I look for dresses that look continuous from the top to the bottom. No waistbands, or gathers and the like.

Anita, if you and your family can get to Fenway for a game, that would be fun. I know you mentioned you aren't big sports fans, but that area is like a city within a city. It's a lot of fun.

We found the greatest pizza place while on the Freedom Trail.

Margaret, we are at 69 right now.. We've had rain off and on today. Melody, I can't believe you have snow! It's funny, but with all the snow we got during the winter, we have lush green grass just like that. As a matter of fact, we were discussing the need to mow soon. I have a lot of yard work to do as well.

Nice booties Margaret! We got up to 88? NOT ready for it to be so hot!

Yes definitely on the boy shorts with the skirts! (Those help a bit with the thigh chaff situation as well...:o) I have shorts slips (Jockey brand) in nude but I wonder about getting them in black...they are pretty opaque. Then, if they were flashed, it would appear to be biker shorts...

A game would be great. Is it baseball season in July? I literally don't know. I would have to google that.

I can't believe how cold you are Melody...just nuts the way the weather is.

Sally, I picture getting a lot of use out of these dresses. I've been thinking about my wardrobe so much...and I believe that these will be staples for me. Dress up. Dress down. Wear tights and boots. Wear sandals. I'm all over these dresses. And think these dresses will also go all over. The colors are great and the fabric has that heavy bamboo drape but feels so lightweight at the same time.

Does everyone have a Target debit card? Anyway...just doing a quick search for the black Jockey slip shorts and it would appear that Jockey is making a line specifically for target. JKY by Jockey. Have you seen this? So many brands have a separate line...Whatever it is by Lee. Etc The C9 by Champion. Anyway, it's a decent price of $12 for the slip shorts. I have them already from Kohls. I'm going to give the Target brand of Jockey a try.

Those are cute dresses, Anita. A little short for me, but I like the idea of bike shorts under (I also have chafing issues;) ).

It amazes me the difference a properly fitting bra makes. I couldn't find in stores locally but at the start of the year discovered a specialty fitting store about an hour from me. I went from 38 DDD to attempt to get a big enough cup yet not be falling out under the band (and still didn't fit right) to 34 I. Oddly it makes the stomach look thinner (didn't fix completey :D), and my headaches have reduced significantly since having better support. The bras aren't cheap and I still haven't been able to commit to spending the money on a swimsuit yet, but I feel they are worth it.

Laurie, my sister has the opposite problem of smaller top and very large hips. She also has a relatively small waist in comparison so pants are very difficult. I think she might have more luck with dresses, but she's not really a dress person.

The heat and humidity have been brutal here the past few days. It looks like we're cooling down to a more reasonable 60's - 70's the next few days. I'm hoping that makes it easier for running and reduces swelling.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Thanks, never easy. We’re gone Wednesday thru Tuesday then our grandson graduates on Wednesday the 16th. I’ll check in as time permits. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We returned late Sunday night from our music festival weekend. I'm starting to feel a bit more normal today...ears are still ringing though! You forget how draining it is to be in the sun constantly, or nearly constantly...and outside. Good times though. DH and DS did the father son thing last year. This was my first year. We'll definitely do it again next year...and be even more prepared.

I returned home and had packages waiting for me.

My bamboo shirts from the REI Garage arrived. tasc Performance brand. Nice brand. I got the 3 colors available in the short sleeved shirt, a green, blue and pink. I don't think any of them are true Earth colors. I think the green is borderline Air but as Soft Autumn, it's working okay on me. I think the pink and blue are clearer...the blue might look great on Melody. They all seem on the cool side of the spectrum though. But I got a great deal at less than $17 each, and these are going to be sweat friendly shirts for me...so I'm not concerned with getting the best colors at this point. I needed shoulder coverage as too many of my performance shirts are sleeveless.

Also received the Target brand slip shorts by Jockey (whatever that Target brand by Jockey is). Good quality, though I haven't tested for longevity, of course. I'm not sure the idea of these slip shorts will work under the dresses...those are short dresses for sure...almost like tunics...and I'm not loving the look. I'll be watching the weather...it's possible that I'll wear tights? Which will solve my issue... Still not disappointed in the dresses though...just need to figure it out.

I do have a pair of capri tights also. They are like pedal pusher length? Stopping right under the knee. It looks fine...but very, very casual if I do that.

One thing driven home to me by our camping this weekend. Simpler and organized really does make for a more enjoyable trip. Whatever it is that you pack for your trip...if you pack just what you need and have a plan (flexible but a general outline), you definitely spend more time doing and enjoying and less time thinking. Less thinking on any sort of holiday is a very nice thing. A reminder that all our prep work planning for our cruises and vacations really pays off.

Sally...continuing to hope that you are going to Cuba this time!

Melody...praying for safe travels and overall peace and comfort to and in Boston.

I like the dress Melody posted. I'm wondering about the fit on that. It looks like a good style for me, in that the aline is gentle and continuous.

I'm very excited - we are getting an Athleta store here in Syracuse! Yay, me!

I've been watching a purple dress in WHBM. Most of the time, they sell out of something in my size before it goes on sale at a good price. This was a dress priced at $160.00 that went on sale for $65.00, so I decided to give it a try. We will see how that works out.

Anita, I can relate to bringing just what I need with me on a trip, although it may seem the opposite. I plan things out well enough that I am comfortable with my choices and bring exactly what I plan to wear. With the fact that my clothing is pretty much true earth with some other things thrown in, I can mix and match in a pinch.

I will say that one thing that I didn't bring the last time was a basic cardigan and some cropped pants of some kind. And I wish I had brought them, as the sea days were a little cool. I haven't been bringing those for a few cruises, but I'm going to go back to doing that.

Do you bring along any kind of emergency kit when you travel? I guess this question is directed at everyone, since our trips consists of cruises, regular land travel, camping, etc. I have a very compact kit that goes with me. When on a cruise, the onboard store doesn't always have much. And you never know what you can or cannot find in a port, you know?

I've managed to pack very compactly an extra pair of glasses and my old hearing aid, both in cases. There is a mini lint brush, sea bands, band aids, a mini pump flashlight and a few other small things. Many times, they never make it out of the case, but I consider that a good thing.

My husband's job is a health and safety expert at Syracuse University. Much of what he does surrounds emergency preparedness, so it makes sense that he packs more clothes than me for every season, a full sized flash light, etc.

We have a complete tote in the basement for emergencies of a major kind, with all sorts of things in it.

So you enjoyed your heavy metal weekend, Anita? I'm trying to imagine that. Around here, those types of festival are pretty rowdy and drug filled. Always a lot of police blotter stuff in the paper, lol.

Sally, I too am rooting for you! I can't wait to hear about Cuba. You have mentioned that there are restrictions and some very different requirements for that area.

I loved Carolina Rebellion. It's really weird to say but it was so chill! I overheard so many conversations on the shuttle and all around about how everyone was so happy that everyone was so nice and that there wasn't much drama...fights, etc. Plenty of drugs though Laurie! LOL.

I did get smacked once pretty hard by a crowd surfer. Took his behind to the back of my head. DH had been doing a really good job of keeping tabs and generally most of the guys did. I'm fairly tall but there was a large contingent of shorter women and the man generally stepped up and dealt with the crowd surfers. This one surfer just caught our whole little area by surprise...didn't love that. No real damage but it did hurt. Fortunately or not, that was on the last day...

The lineup included some old college favorites of mine...Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots. There were also some new favorites of mine that I've seen before in concert, Incubus and the Struts. Five Finger Death Punch was probably the most cursing in the lyrics but at the same time...the lead was very real, very genuine, and I really enjoyed their set. Trivium was probably the wildest set. DH got to blow off steam in a couple mosh pits. Even those were good. No one wants to get hurt really, but guys...some guys like that human body ping pong action. Lots of patriotic spirit. Several sets recognized military servicemen and there were quite a few U! S! A! U! S! A! chants going on. Laurie...maybe that's the difference between a southern rock fest and a northern one? Not to be weird like that...but still...

Festival camping is fun. I was glad that I had versed myself in some glam camping ideas. Didn't indulge all these ideas and tools we have because I just wasn't sure...but now that I've been there once, I know how to deck out our camping digs to make life a bit more comfortable. And hopefully, DS won't have a final on the Friday morning so that we can get into the camp ground on Thursday and get there before the festival truly begins.

I think I'm going to return the blue and pink bamboo blend shirts. The blend is okay, but the odor resistance isn't as resistant as I want it to be...so combine that with the color and even the low cost isn't worth it. I found a couple of promising lightweight wool shirts on Sierra Trading Company's website. I'm going for those instead. They seem more Earthy in color too.

Laurie...I think you do a good job of packing just what you need. It may not seem like minimalist packing, but I do believe that all your planning helps you to bring just what you need to bring. I was thinking of you when I worded my post as specifically as I did.

I'm still working out Alaska. I read somewhere that someone that it was better to not pack their backpack with all their stuff in it. To make it easy on TSA, if necessary. They said, pack the backpack and the stuff separately in a bag. I'm not thinking that is very efficient though. I'm researching if that is really necessary. I think it would be a better use of space for us to pack our backpacks with our gear and stuff and then be able to clearly see the extra room in the duffle for other things.

We do pack a sort of emergency kit normally. Not much...but this time, we'll be bringing a full on first aid kit, considering that we will be in a remote cabin for two nights. And also that we will be in small town Alaska, where I imagine supplies are limited. Funny you ask that because I have a tab open with a first aid kit checklist! I have an old backpackers kit that we've been using forever that I'm going to refresh and restock for the summer and for our trip.