All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie, Glad you had a great time . Boston is my favorite city . My daughter & son went to school there and then my daughter worked at Boston U for years so I spent a lot of time in Boston. I always stayed in the Copley Square area and I used Priceline or Hotwire to get a hotel .I was never disappointed .I usually got the Sheraton or the Hilton for a lot less than the advertised price .

Anita , Your trip is so close now .You must be sooo excited .

We are probably going to book an eight day to Cuba for April .I hope I can handle 8 days in those teeny tiny rooms on the Empress .

Yes, Sally, we leave next week. One week from tomorrow we leave home. We're staying at an airport hotel the night before we fly out. The airport is a fair ways from home, so easier to get that drive done the night before our 7 or 7:30 am flight...they've changed it so many times...I have to see what the current ETD is.

Sally, I wonder if we’re looking at the same cruise? We’re looking at 8 day to Cuba. Thinking about a junior suite cause I’m not sure I can deal without a balcony

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anita, I'm so excited for you! The giant flounder is waiting to greet you. Can't wait to hear all the trip details when you return. Don't forget the state bird of Alaska is... the mosquito. :D Our friends are leaving on the 22nd for a Star Princess 7-day and then a week on Victoria Island. Their idea of camping is plastic glasses for their wine in the hot tub.

My new camera is coming tomorrow. :cool: I'm off to Michigan for the weekend so I won't get to play with it until next week.

I am beyond excited for this vacation! Nervous as well. That hope I took care of everything feeling.

Also not happy that I'm dealing with a bit of a foot issue. It's tolerable but uncomfortable...and I have no idea what I did. I don't think it'll slow me down...it's just a nuisance.

So...if anyone is interested in reading all about my trip planning...I started my review. I started it several days...maybe even a couple weeks ago. It's just me talking...going into my process for how I planned our Alaska trip:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641355

I don't think I'm going to aim for a live review. I am thinking about downloading a forum app and maybe posting a picture or two per day, IF I have cell coverage. Just because I think that might be fun. And I'll only do it if it's fun. But I don't imagine posting much commentary LIVE...I'll post about the trip after we get back.

I need to scroll back and see what apps you both use...but I think Melody and Laurie both use an app.

I'm looking at the weather forecasts and the latest one I saw said it would be a high of 87 one day in Vancouver! OMG!! I'm really focusing on the wardrobe now.

I'm trying to be very true to myself and pack accordingly. In the past, I've had what I would consider lofty ideals...counting myself among those that don't have the opportunity to dress up in day to day life, but generally enjoy it and so think that I would want to dress up on my vacation.

I do NOT enjoy dressing up on vacation!

There. I said it.

What a PITA...dressing up on my vacation. I rarely dress up IRL...and I enjoy the once a month opportunity (if that) that I get to dress nice...any more than that is NOT FUN for me. At least now. Could be a weight related issue...and general feeling of less than optimal physical fitness...but right now, all I want to do is plan to bring comfortable, happy clothes.

That's not to say that I can't look nice in comfort...my upper level of dressy will just be that. NICE. Probably no where NEAR dressy.

Which is perfect for Alaska from all that I've read!

Anita, I'm so excited for you. I can't wait to see and hear all about Alaska. Have a fantastic trip!

And you know, I think everyone is different, and that's okay. It's what makes life interesting. Dressing up isn't your thing, and that's okay. I will only wear "gym clothes" to the gym. That's okay too. Even the stores that each of us shop at - they're all different. I feel like I learn from each of you.

I was just thinking about wine in a plastic cup, and In snickered. I totally get that comment.

I don't know if I was born early or late...I can't recall my mom ever talking to me about that. It's funny, because a few posts back, Sally mentioned using Priceline to book a room for trips. I'm not sure if I could do that in general - you mentioned that you know where you are staying right away? How specific can you be to be sure you are staying in the kind of place you want to be?

I'm a planner, and really like to organize and figure things out. I arrive early, I have a spreadsheet for clothing on a cruise. I have learned to let it be a part of me, without taking me over. For example, I watched the weather carefully for Boston, and then packed the right weight clothing. I had ideas of what we could do. What I didn't do is plan out our days. Other than the game, we just winged it. I threw ideas around, and then we chose on the spot. We just didn't have enough time to do all that we wanted, and still feel like we weren't trying to cram everything into each day..

Anita, I have the cruise critic app on my phone. If I take a picture, I can go to the app and post the picture really easily.

I have a Canon camera, but it is a bit older. There is no wifi or anything connected to it. I really need to work on finding an ideal app for photos that aren't taken on my phone.

I'm trying to remember if I"m using Imgbb correctly. Let's see if this picture of Sandy Leon works:

https://ibb.co/hiNqSy

I had a pleasant surprise today. Our oldest daughter had an eye appt today & needed a driver. I picked her up we had a great lunch & did a little shopping. Totally unexpected & so nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Laurie , This web site will tell you what Hotels you will get with Priceline or hotwire and what bids are accepted .I am very fussy about Hotels and I have never been disappointed while paying a lot less than the going rate .It only works in big cities .I have used it a lot in Boston,New York,Phoenix ,and Philadelphia .https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/biddingfortravel/

Laurie, you put in a link which works just fine. If you want to have the photo just appear without having to click on a link, you need to choose a different embed code. For some mysterious reason, I only see my own photos posted if I log out. If I'm logged in, I just see the link even if I choose "Full Image, BB Code".

Full Image, BB Code

Ferretti.jpg

Edited by MJC
clarify

The way you posted the ibb information shows up as a link and when you click the link, it works.

If you were to copy and paste the embed code titled BBCode...the fourth one down the list with the IMG tags in front and back of the link address...then it would post here:

026.jpg

Anita,

I hope you have the BEST trip to Alaska! It sounds like so much fun. I (we) want to hear every detail and of course, see photos. Say "hi" to Pam and wish them bon voyage too.

I'll be thinking of you. Alaska is so high on my "list" to visit! I'll live vicariously through you and your trip :D

I can't see the pictures online, but I see them on my phone. I realized last night that I didn't use the right code for the direct picture, which I always prefer. Pictures from my camera to this are really easy, but my phone...not so much. I wish they had an app for phones.

Melody, it sounds like you and your daughter had fun. I really enjoy spending time with my daughters. It's wonderful to watch them grow up, but it also nice to have time with them as adults too.

Sally I will have to look at Priceline then, and see what I think. It is really too far ahead to plan for 2019 like I want, but I want to have it right in my mind so that I can move forward when the time comes.

It was such a busy week last week to get things done before going away, and it's been another busy week. Tuesday, I worked late and my husband picked me up to go to a seminar we had scheduled. By the time it was over and I got my car, it was 9:00 at night. Stuff yesterday, stuff today...but at least tomorrow I get to see a local baseball game. Next year, the Syracuse Chiefs will become the Syracuse Mets, a farm team to the NY Mets. Most people have wanted the name to change, but aren't happy with the Mets. They were hoping for Salt Potatoes. I'm not so sure about that, even if they are a local favorite, lol.

Thanks Kim!

My men are at a metal concert tonight so I'm streaming my silly shows and doing some chores. I waterproofed my boots tonight...and cleaned my Birks! LOL.

DS is back from his week to GA visiting friends...so I'm doing the last of his laundry...and then I'm going to stash his "best" underwear to be able to pack early...LOL!!! He has the best and the second rate...he'll wear the best and they won't be ready for the trip...so...all the best are dirty now from his recent travel...I'm going to clean them and stash them so that I don't have to do any more laundry before we pack for Alaska!! LOL!!!

Then do our last load...

My goal is to pack this weekend. I'd like Monday and Tuesday for the last cleaning and house prep only...and just the carry on gathering...the phones and chargers, etc.

Salt Potatoes would have been too funny. DS is a Fighting Pickle!

Anita , I am enjoying your review . I loved Alaska .We went ten years ago . Alaska cruises are very casual . I was shocked how casual it was .Lot's of people showed up for dinner in whatever they toured in . If you get a chance in Juneau visit the Red Dog Saloon . It has a lot of memorabilia from old Alaska .We had a reindeer sausage pizza . Most cruise lines have a naturalist on board .Their lectures are very informative .Have a great time !

Funny story !On our recent cruise we met a couple at dinner .They were about our age and we enjoyed talking with them but they basically they knew very little about Cuba . They kept on questioning me about money exchange ,private tours , sights to see , etc.. I finally said "Don't you research the places you are going to " and they admitted that they did not . The funny thing is we found out later that He was the lecturer on Cuba on the cruise .

Yes...Sally, that's funny...and sad all at the same time. I wonder how the man was chosen to make that presentation? Was he paid? Was he comped for the cruise? I'm thinking I could give some lectures...

Melody sent me the most perfect hat EVER!!

IMG_2164.jpg

I'm so happy to have this. I'm planning on taking a ball cap...but the one I was going to take was black and not as appropriate as this lovely colorful water resistant cap. As Melody said to me in her note...it will go perfectly with my purple rain jacket! (Looks pretty good with my aqua shirt dress too!)