All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

We always preferred Cabelas as well. They are both on I25 now, Bass Pro in Colorado Springs & Cabelas in Highlands Ranch (in a huge building that was opened 2 weeks before the sale was announced!). I’ve become a much bigger fan of Sierra Trading Post since they opened in town tho (prices are fantastic & if they don’t have it in store they’ll ship it free to store ... not home

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have a Bass Pro Shops somewhat nearby. However, it isn't my my husband's kind of place, necessarily. I will be honest - as much as we work hard to schedule our cruises, we don't have a lot of time for hobbies and the like. It's work, household chores, gym, sleep, repeat...

I get a great deal of enjoyment from sports as a result, because it might be 9:00 before I can sit down sometimes. Back when my life was different, I enjoyed fishing. We didn't hike in the sense of serious trails, but I loved going places like Watkins Glen State Park, or to Beaver Lake Nature Center for some good walking. I would like to be able to do those things again.

In the meantime, we are working on re-defining or work/home balance, which is why we have our Boston weekend planned and things like that. Memorial Day weekend has always been more of a long weekend for working than anything else, but we are balancing that out this time. We are going to do a bit more work on the den, and then I will be able to take some pictures. While we aren't installing the new trim this weekend, I do have my new chair and curtains and we are rearranging furniture. I wish my new pillow was here, because I really can't wait to see that on the chair. When all is said and done, you will see why. I wanted a bit of a Red Sox theme, without it being a total Red Sox room, and I think I'm well on the way with that. It's just subtle touches.

I will be doing laundry (of course!) and ironing and catching up on some things. We plan to cook on the grill if weather lets us. But we did plan out a something fun, because we don't go out on dates or to events often. We are going tonight to Movie Tavern (that's the place that serves food and has recliners!) to see Solo.

Do you sometimes have something that you love, but you really don't have the place for it, and just can't figure out what to do? I have a very basic rocking chair my mom got for me when I was expecting my older daughter. It has served me so well over the years, and it has a value to me. I am at a loss as to where to put it, as I literally can't find a place to put it.

I do think that that my older daughter will likely be getting a place with her boyfriend within the next 6 months. As a mom, I'm nervous about that. But if she does, I would make her room into a spare bedroom, and with things being pared down, I would put the rocking chair in her room.

Anita, when I was at the outlet mall, they have this Nike Outlet. My daughters wanted to look so I wandered with them. I found a pair of trainers that I didn't love as far as appearance, but the styling I thought would be good for my foot, and they felt comfortable. I haven't worn my other sneaks to the gym since. They are just really comfortable! And I haven't had an issue with my foot at all since.

Anita, your sneaks look comfy! I'm still marveling over your planning process for your camping and he like. I can tell you are so excited! I would be too.

Did I ever tell all of you that the dress I had been watching in WHBM went on sale for a great price, and then they had an additional 20% off one day? I took the opportunity to order the dress, and I went up a size based on Sally's observations.

This is what I discovered. I didn't need a size up from the top of me hips upward. The "hold you in" concept wasn't bothersome at all. What was bothersome was the bottom half of the dress. It had this "clubby" fit. Do you know what I mean? It was totally clingy, and not flattering to me at all. I was so disappointed. But that's okay. Not everything works out I got the impression it was more of a sheath fit, and maybe it was just the particular dress, I don't know.

Margaret, I"m glad that the bag you ordered looks like it will work out well for you. I don't really wear any leggings, but I'm not sure I could get myself to wear print ones. I did recently buy a pair of print shorts, and I will take a photo to share with all of you. They are earthy, and the kind of print I can see myself wearing.

Do any of you do bird watching? I love to feed them, and we have had some great ones at the suet feeder this year. Then the cow birds arrived. Sigh. You can't selectively feed them you know? But we had an oriole, which is not common for us so it was exciting. But the cow birds chase the other birds away, and eat all the suet. Meanies. :p

Laurie , That is the problem with that line of WHBM . They tend to be very form fitting and clingy . When I was working full time I also felt like I had no time for me . We did hire out the yard work but I should have hired a cleaning lady . I have one now and it is awesome to come home to a really clean house . I had to get one when I was sick and I just kept her . It frees me to do whatever .If you don't want to do that I would investigate food delivery or other options to make your life easier . These years are the best years of your life so you should have time to enjoy them.

In other news I have cheated on JJill and went to Chico's .

Anita , You are getting me so excited about Alaska I put it on our possibilities for next year ,

I had a cleaning lady & sew lady (she made 3 outfits a week) when we lived in Okinawa. When we left I only really missed my sew lady [emoji22]. Our oldest daughter had a cleaning lady (she has a 8000sq Ft house), but couldn’t seem to find one that cleans like she does. Each of our kids were responsible for their room & one common room, they learned quickly that it was much easier to do it right the first time. They all have spotless houses & their kids are responsible for their room (& their bathrooms) & a common room. I think I rubbed off on them [emoji23]. Our youngest granddaughter only complains about being an only when she’s cleaning (but let me tell you, that 10 year old does great bathrooms!)

I love to iron & hate doing laundry, so Les (who likes laundry) does the wash & I put on a movie & iron away. Melody

In other news I have cheated on JJill and went to Chico's . LOL Sally.

I hate ironing. I hardly iron anything. I use my iron as a steamer, mostly. I would rather do laundry any day.

All this Alaska talk must be catching. We have friends who want to go last-minute for their summer anniversary, and they asked me to look at the Princess itineraries for them and to help them choose. They have NO idea what they've unleashed. :) I did some virtual planning for them yesterday.

Laurie, we have a birdfeeder like this, with a separate cage around the feeder. It keeps out the squirrels, chipmunks, and larger birds. I only use songbird mix in it, so we get lots of cardinals and finches along with the song sparrows. It makes for nice music in the yard. Are you able to hear the birds? We had orioles yesterday for the second time only, and I knew to look for them because I heard their song first. They like to stay high in the trees, apparently. The cowbirds are a pain, but they are good bug catchers. The bluejays are just the bullies of the bird world.

https://www.duncraft.com/Duncraft-Squirrel-Proof-Selective-Feeder?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu-vLtKCm2wIVjoCfCh1NHgpLEAkYASABEgJGRPD_BwE

https://www.duncraft.com/Duncraft-Suet-Sanctuary

I like the Duncraft feeders, they are sturdy. We did lose one to a bear, and stopped feeding the birds that year so it wouldn't make our house a regular pit stop.

We have friends coming today but it's pouring rain, so no boat ride.:(

OMG I have so much laundry to do...just not in the mood to do it. And yet...we keep wearing clothes and getting them dirty! *sigh*

Too funny Sally! Get something new for your Cuba trip? You must be getting so excited!

We are down and in with the Alaska planning. It's all that we seem capable of talking about around here. DH is deep in the weeds reading about fishing. He used to fish a lot. And now he hardly fishes at all...but the dream of fishing in Alaska harkens back to day of youth and not so young and so regardless of the frequency of his present day fishing excursions...there will be fishing in Alaska. DH is trying so hard to get a clue. Everything has gotten so complicated these days!

I purchased a new waterproof super sturdy camera. Finally got a new SD card for it and took it for a spin today. Conditions were perfect for the trial as it was overcast and threatening rain when I left for my walk. It did in fact rain on me and I had no worries with the camera. I spent quite a bit of time in the most amazing cemetery that is at Old Salem. I haven't spent a lot of time in cemeteries but I must say this is just a beautiful one. I had a great time experimenting with the camera. Seemed an appropriate thing to do on Memorial Day weekend.

Anyway...I'm thrilled with the new camera!

Laurie...I do have a piece of furniture like that. We call it the doughboy in my family. I'm not sure exactly how old the piece is but it harkens back to the days when there would be a pine storage bin where one side would store flour and the other salt. This one is raised off the flour on four legs. My grandfather had used it as a liquor cabinet / bar, putting liquor bottles down in the storage area. I've yet to find a really great use for it. I just like it. Sadly, right now it's in the storage area down in the storage room of the apt building.

I am so excited for our Alaska trip...it's blowing my mind how close we are to going!

My Dad has an Olympus and he really likes it. His is a few years old, so not exactly the one you are talking about...an earlier model of it, but still. He likes it a lot, I think because he hasn't talked about replacing it. That camera was not in my budget though.

I got a Ricoh WG-50.

https://www.amazon.com/Ricoh-WG-50-Waterproof-Camera-Digital/dp/B07239XJ6B/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527467952&sr=8-3&keywords=ricoh+wg-50

One reason I went with the one I did is because I thought that I would still be able to use it with gloves on. We're going to be hiking on the glacier and then kayaking in the glacier bay...so I was going more for usability in such conditions than for the use underwater. The shape of this camera and all the differences in the surface give it really good grip, which I appreciate.

Edited to add: Dad used his Olympus when we went snorkeling together on one of our cruises. It held up great!

Ricoh and Pentax are the same thing. Can't recall if Ricoh was the parent or if they took over Pentax or what the deal is with that. I used to have a Pentax camera, I think, back in the day of 35mm film cameras.

Have you seen this blog? Nice information, but these two posts are relevant to our immediate discussion:

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/olympus-tg5-tough-waterproof-camera/

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/ricoh-wg-50-waterproof-camera-sample-images/

I hadn't seen this before...what I actually saw that helped me with my decision was a blog from someone that took the Ricoh camera for a review test to a botanical garden. I was super impressed with the photos from that review.

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/ricoh-wg-50-review-rugged-adventure

Because I want this to take photos on our Alaska trip and not just when we are doing water based activities. I want to be able to take photos in the rain more than anything. And also when we are on the whale watching, etc.

Sally, maybe a Chicos outfit will be good luck! We’re seriously looking at Cuba now, maybe next winter along with a jaunt to Ft Myers (as I couldn’t travel this past winter). Hope that tropical storm moves out of your way! A Cubre Libre in your future! Melody

I need to start looking at cameras. The one DH has picked for me is not going to work, given what the reviews say and what I know of my own picture-taking style and abilities, and the zoom capacity that I want for Africa. I currently have the Canon Powershot S2 IS from 2005, and I want to stay with Canon so I don't have to learn a whole new interface.

I've been really happy with my underwater camera, also a Canon, but there have been a lot of upgrades in the technology that I see in Anita's choice. Maybe I'll put that on my wish list for next birthday.

The family heirloom I am challenged by is my great-grandmothers giant Vienna clock. It's a beautiful thing and I have some emotional attachment, but it is so big and so not suited to the size or style of either of our homes. It's almost three feet tall. The photo attached isn't mine but you'll see what I mean. None of my siblings will take it off my hands.

IMG_1627small.jpg.0031727e640b74c757cd57ed8934b5e6.jpg

viennaclock.jpg.35657eb215cf31c46f47bb4aa558ae34.jpg

Beautiful clock, but if it doesn’t fit the style of either house maybe it’s time to get it appraised & in the hands of someone that would love it. Do appraise first

I've been running experiments with my camera. The thing that I love about this camera is the fact that I can just put it in my pocket. No case. Just tuck it in there and pull it out as needed. I see the need for a small lens cleaner, I think, just something to wipe it with...But overall, that hasn't been a problem for the past two days. So this style suits my photography style.

Here's my big zoom experiment.

This is no zoom:

RIMG0040.jpg

This is max optical zoom (5x):

RIMG0041.jpg

This is max digital zoom (roughly 36x)

RIMG0048.jpg

This where I learned that the "landscape" algorithms really are better than the "auto picture"

Auto Mode:

RIMG0188.jpg

Landscape Mode:

RIMG0189.jpg

Which made me regret the hundred or so photos that I had taken earlier...wondering what they would look like in landscape mode...and also if I should have messed with the auto ISO setting considering the low light overcast conditions. Which way would I go with that to see if I could get the photos to sharpen up...because the photos in sunlight are so much crisper.

The sun did some out and I was quite pleased with the general photography of the camera...I like this shot in Old Salem within the optical zoom range:

RIMG0092.jpg

Margaret looking at the spec on your camera...I would think you would want more zoom too.

Its funny to hear the camera discussion as my husband and I have been discussing the same thing. We wished that had a camera for the helmet dive. We've also discussed something that is extra sturfy6, smaller and lighter than our current camera and that may also have wifi capability. We were going to look at a GoPro camera.

I find I take less photos than I used to. Mostly because I want to live in the moment more. At the same time, I want to capture things I couldn't before.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Look at the review Deladyne put on from a recent Celebrity Eclipse sailing. All her pictures were from an Olympus Tg5 & they’re flat out amazing, especially her underwater shots. Melody

That's a beautiful review! The Olympus is a better camera. It gets the top billing in most of the reviews, but as I said, I didn't have the budget for that one. It's been a long time since I've taken photos. I'm taking some on my daily walks now, trying to figure out the best configuration for the conditions (we're having the perfect test weather here...rainy and overcast, which is how I imagine some of our Alaska will be) and getting my steady hand in use again. And learning all the tricks of a new camera...you really have to push the button hard on my camera to take a pick. I'm needing to figure out my cross pressure so that the camera doesn't move when I do take a photo!

I hope this doesn't bother anyone...but here's another lesson I learned with my walking picture taking today.

Changing the ISO DOES make a good difference in low light, and perhaps even low contrast? situations. Here's the auto ISO setting in my camera's landscape mode:

RIMG0240.jpg

Here, I constrained the ISO to a lower range...ack! I don't remember if I picked the 125-200 or 125-400. Ugh. Anyway, here is the lower ISO setting:

RIMG0241.jpg

That's my lesson for the day!

I'm doing laundry...

I just used coupon code "HAPPY30" on the Sofft shoe website and got 30% off and free shipping. Woot woot! I went ahead and ordered the Mulberry...which looks like a metallic bronze color in the Mirabella sandal that I like so much.

Anita, I can clearly see the difference in those pictures. I love reading about your analysis, and what you are finding out with the camera.

I'm so debating what to do, camera wise. One thing for me is portability. I really like a good photo, but usually, the better cameras are bigger. I need to look yours up to see about the sizing as well.

One of the reason we were talking about a GoPro camera was that is is completely submersible. I would love to take a few photos in the water, especially if we do another helmet dive, swim with the stingrays, or are just splashing around on the beach. But there is a lot of gadgetry, so strapping the camera to your chest while ziplining or parasailing (I haven't been brave enough to do the parasailing yet!) just seems like such a good way to capture things and keep your hands free.

But then wonder if it would be ideal for those things, but not as a good quality photo camera.

This is completely off topic, but my husband's family were some of the original settlers of the area we are in, and many years ago, they opened an auto place in the village. My husband found a really great picture of it, and I had him send it to me. I'm getting it done up in a wrapped canvas print for him. I'm excited to see how it comes out.

I also ordered a photo of Fenway Park that we took last year to help finish up the den. I'm also still waiting for my pillow to come in, which is why I haven't taken photos yet. It's isn't over the top exciting, but I am amazed what a good clean up and furniture move can do for a room. I just love it now. It's a little square room, about 10 x 10? It feels twice as big as before. I tend to call it an office more so than a den, because it has my desktop computer so I pay bills, work on some the stuff I bring home with me and so forth. Now I even have a nice little reading corner.

Yay on the sandals! I was looking a bit online over the weekend, hoping to find a pair similar to what I used to have. I found these in gold, and I think they would work for me. I noticed that the pewter didn't look overly cool, but too cool for me. I got to thinking int reminded me of the mushroom color that Margaret likes.

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/love-and-liberty-summer-ll-womens-wedge-sandals/ppr5007691623?pTmplType=regular&rrec=true&rrplacementtype=home2_rr

What I like is that they would go with a lot, and have a very low heel. I think I'd get a lot out of the gold, although I was looking for something like a caramel or cognac type color. We went to see Solo on Sunday night (not Saturday as originally planned - sold out) and because a theater can be cool, I wore a nice dressier pair of jeans and nice top. I like to have sandals such as this to wear. I have a pair of ankle length chinos that I love to wear when we go someplace too. I'm not "dressing up", but I like that when we do something special or different, it's nice to just take an extra step with the attire or accessories.

I don't really like referring to jeans as dressy. But they are a darker finish with a slight bootcut.