All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Margaret, when I'm in my backyard and it is quiet, I do pick up the sound of the birds, but not very distinctively. Currently, my feeders are in the front of the house so I have the noise of traffic. Believe it or not, I seem to get more birds in the front. I think it's because we aren't in the front of the house much, nor the dogs. But I can watch the birds from the window.

In one day, I saw all of the following: three different types of woodpeckers, a mourning dove on the ground, way more grouses than I would like, a cardinal, tufted titmouse, chickadee, nuthatch, purple finch, gold finch, and another bird I'm still trying to figure out. Oh, and the sparrows. I know some people hate having sparrows at the feeder as they are "common" but I love all of the birds, except the cow birds and grouses.

We do get a bluejay here and there, but he is almost too big for our feeders. I really want to try the ones you provided links to.

I'm still waiting to see my favorite - an indigo bunting. They are beautiful. My oriole hasn't been back in a few days, but the grouses are chasing everything right now.

Nice pictures Anita. Laurie, our Fuji is an underwater camera (lowend, but pretty good pictures). Go Pros are ok, we returned one a couple of years ago, maybe they’ve improved.

I like those sandals I still love the Sofft, but I really like the Penney’s price

I got an email from my TA this morning telling us that we have been credited with $1100 on our Sep 2019 50th anniversary cruise! What a pleasant shock that was!!! No loss of perks either. So now our reasonably priced cruise (in a Concierge cabin) is now lower than an inside cabin! I suppose we could’ve moved up to a suite, but we have our very favorite cabin! Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anita, I tried to use the HAPPY30 code on the Sofft Mirabelle sandal & it told me that item wasn’t eligible for the promotion. However, the black suede are only $59 so I ordered them!

Melody, what a nice surprise!

Laurie, I like those sandals. I find that color a very understated neutral that works with a lot of things and doesn't call attention to itself the way that gold does. It gets called a lot of names like pewter, taupe, whatever, and has a lot of variations so it helps to see it IRL. The shoes I just bought were called platinum in the catalog but on the box the name is something else (it escapes me now), and they aren't silver at all.

Perhaps the bird you are seeing is a dark-eyed junco. They are fairly common. I know what you mean about sparrows, they are rather nondescript, but we have song sparrows at the lake and I love to hear them trill all day.

DH has decided he wants a backpack like the green one I just got, so that's on the shopping list waiting for a coupon code.

Sitting with don waiting for kidney stone surgery (his). His wife is at flight attendant school. Not the way either of us planned on spending our Wednesday afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The most bizarre Amazon experience ever...I ordered 3 different NikWax items. One item was a duo pack...2 bottles wrapped in hard clear plastic and 2 other items. Amazon said they were all included in the package they delivered. But they weren't. I was missing an item. First time this has ever happened in all the years I've ordered from Amazon.

I have no idea how to contact Amazon. Finally find that...start a chat. No problem. The chat agent will get that sent to me right away. Only they sent me another duo pack, which I already had. Still didn't get the waterproofing wax for my leather boots. Back to the chat...this agent says sorry. Offers to reimburse me for the cost of the item and then I can just order it again, since there seems to be a problem. Only she decided to refund me for the cost of the duo item...which was more than twice as much as the item that I never received! SO WEIRD.

But I'm in chat, so I'm just thinking to myself....whatever! I've reordered the wax. And I have two duo packs that I didn't pay for and still have a $10 credit with Amazon. SMH.

Rough afternoon Melody. :(

I've been helping a lady that used to live in our building with her dog walking business. She is having transplant surgery in the fall. Lots of tests in the meantime. So there are days when I take over her dogs in the afternoon. I walked 8 dogs today! But I didn't take any photos...

In other news...I seriously want to start my trip report NOW. I'm so excited about our trip...It's taking up a whole lot of brain space...I feel like I might feel more settled if I started writing about the trip. On the Dis Boards, you could have a preplanning thread...no one does that here. I guess because they think you are doing that on your roll call...but my roll call has no conversation really...

Melody - praying the surgery went well

Anita - My first two roll calls were fairly active, but my current one is very sparse - it's disappointing :(

Congratulations on 21 years <3 The last several have been kind of big for us: 20 years, 21 someone referred to as a Champagne anniversary since we were married on the 21st, 22 marked the start of me being married longer than not (married at 22), this year at 23 will be that point for M since he's a year older. We'll probably keep 24 low key, but planning a HI trip for 25 :)

Well, son’s surgery was a success (12mm stone removed as it was too big to pass & 6 others blasted). He’s uncomfortable but nowhere in as much pain as before. This is my stoic Marine & he was on the floor saying “shoot me, it hurts less”

Have to share Costco (on line only) has Jambu wildflower Mary Jane sandals. Black, denim blue & good strong red, half sizes & $16.99 a pair! You know I’m ordering all 3! 7ff8821511f9abe9ed8bc112f5ae7351.jpg

Also, here’s the sneaker tying layout. Finally found it!f2dcfd1082d351852b7f3dc006833965.jpg

Melody

I like Jambu! That's an amazing deal!

That high step lacing style is also very good if you have that bone that sticks out on the top inside of your foot. I do. If you do then you know what I'm taking about. It helps keeps the pressure off it so it doesn't get sore. I would lace my shoes like that for Zumba.

Ooo champagne anniversary! That's fun! But we were married on the 5th so...passed that up long ago. I was 25 when we got married, DH 24. We started dating in college, DH was 19 and I was 20. We weren't engaged until after after he graduated and he graduated 18 months after I did. Then we were engaged for 18+ months. When we turned 40 we had that talk about being together in life longer than apart from that point forward. The official idea on our 24th anniversary is a fun idea to give that one special meaning. 25 is already kind of a big one, so that'd be fine to let mine go.

Les & I have been married 49 years this year. We’ve been together since sophomore year of high school. So, let’s see I’m 67 so we’ve been together for more than2/3 of my life wow!

I had kidney stones when I was pregnant with our second daughter, then she was breech. I’ll have 10 breech babies before another kidney stone. They are ridiculously painful

Melody, I hope your son is doing better. Kidney stones run in my family, so I have seen a lot of suffering with those. Fortunately, I have not had any, and I hope I never will.

Thank you also for the lacing guide. My new athletic shoes are great, but my old ones aren't awful, and they are fairly new. I am going to try lacing them differently using this guide and see how they do.

Corporate Challenge is next week, and 3 1/2 miles. I am going to wear the new sneakers for that. My husband told me to make sure I'm careful and that I don't hurt my foot because we leave for Boston just a few days after. I just realized last night that we are leaving in a week, and I'm so excited. I'm going to check the forecast and keep an eye on that so I know I need to bring. As of right now, it is looking good. Around 70 and no rain. I will probably just bring the two Red Sox t-shirts I have, and then my Red Sox half zip for evening. I was figuring on that anyway, but what the forecast does is help me decide between shorts, cropped jeans or regular jeans.

I join roll calls for general conversation, but I don't focus on much else. With my last cruise, I was sharing excursion plans and asking for advice for new ideas. Usually, we are so excited about what we want to do that it becomes an afterthought.

I think most of you know that I was married before, and that I spent some time raising my girls as a single parent, as my ex-husband was not really an active father. Eventually,I remarried. My husband and I just celebrated our 10th anniversary last year, but it feels like a lot longer. I thnk that is because we are such a good match, and he is my best friend. Our cruise out of San Juan was to celebrate that milestone.

It is still hard for me to believe that the luxurious resort we stayed at has not yet reopened after Maria. It makes me realize how fortunate we were, and how trivial the bad experience we had between after Irma was.

Melody, I am amazed at the great deals you are able to get on cruises. I want pricing very carefully for drops, but I seldom get one. You usually cruise Celebrity, right? It seems like you get really good deals on picture packages and the like too. I will likely try Celebrity at some point. Congratulations to you for saving all that money!

The sandals at Costco look comfy, but I admit I was more intrigued by the dog in the picture. So cute.

Margaret, I had to look up junco, and then I realized it is what I call a snowbird! We have quite a few of those, but true to the name, we don't see them at the feeder much in warmer weather. They hang out when it is snowy here. The bird I saw looked quite similar, but it seemed to me the one I saw looked bigger than usual.

Since the cowbirds and grouses ate up all the food from all three feeders (!) I'm going to wait a day and refill them. Hopefully, I will see it again so I can figure it out. I also considered one of those solid seed cakes (not sure what they are called) thinking that it may draw the bigger birds, and that would keep them away from the other feeders? But they are pretty aggressive, and I don't know it it will stop them. I plan to order some of those other feeders you shared links to, because I think it would at least ensure that the little guys are able to get some food.

Anita, your experience with Amazon was very odd. I have had some strange experiences with different online places myself.

Speaking of odd, when I was on vacation, I got home and had an email from Macy's confirming my email address was changed. I contacted them, and they said everything was fine. I told them that my husband also had a Macy's card, but for various reasons, we use the same email address/online account when shopping.

My husband was required to contact them himself about his card, and they said "did you purchase a vacuum cleaner and have it shipped to Kathy so and so at this address?" He told them no, and they said they were going to remove the charge.

Then he gets a bill, and it is still on there. He calls again, and they told him he was supposed to be sent a form to be filled out for fraud.

So if you get anything like that, don't respond to the email, call the number on your bill or contact them through the website as soon as you can. You never know!

I love Jambu shoes , They are so comfortable and that is a great price .One more day until we sail for Cuba . I have everything ready to pack so hopefully it is a go this time .

I was married for ten years and then divorced . I spent six years as a single Mom .I then married my second husband . We were married fifteen years when He died suddenly . I have now been with my SO eighteen years . We are engaged forever .

OMG Sally!!!! So exciting! One more day until Cuba that is...

Laurie...was Corporate Challenge when you irritated that Morton's Neuroma last year? I really hope that doesn't happen to you again. That wide toe box lacing really does make a difference.

Bon Voyage Sally! Can't wait to hear all about Cuba.

Melody, thanks for the shoelace picture. I'm going to have to experiment with my Zumba sneakers. My right foot is giving me issues.

Laurie, sometimes soreness takes up to 72 hours to present. So, good foot care after the challenge is really important. A brief foot massage and elevation is key. Good luck!

DH once got a Best Buy credit card bill for a $1500 video camera that he didn't buy. Someone opened the card using his name and address. He had to file a fraud report with the police to get the account closed and the charge invalidated. The police said that the perpetrators just wait nearby on the day the UPS truck to comes and say Hey, is that my package? And they give it to them.

Margaret that’s so disheartening about the card. Only thing I have close is our daughter & SIL we’re having an anniversary dinner & his credit card was declined. When he immediately called they told him he was in Malaga Spain. Doug,the dry witted guy he is asked if he was having fun. USAA said, yes to the tune of $22K. The Spanish police arrested the couple when they used the card again. Never did find out how his credit card was compromised. They hadn’t been to Spain in 6 years.

Insurance adjuster just left after 4 hours of looking at our hail damage. Roof, gutters, fascia, window trim — $58K.

Personal property, lawn furniture & yard art $5K

It was a long & hot (92) day in the yard

Now the fun of getting it fixed/replaced...yay [emoji849]

$1100 deductible. Our son (works for USAA) keeps trying to get us to increase our deductible but the monthly difference is $25 so why bother. We had no idea we had that much damage. We are upgrading to a Category 4 roof which will cost us $500 above the deductible but also save us 25% a year in premiums

On a better note I bought size 8 white pants today & they’re a little big! Excited

Our deductible is $20,000 .Living in Florida on the water you either have a huge deductible or your insurance is incredibly expensive .

On a good note We live for our cruise in two hours .

[emoji31]WOW! It sure wasn’t that much when we lived in FL! We were in Satellite Beach

Enjoy your cruise, can’t wait to hear about Cuba!

These are the hiking shoes I got:

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/columbia-dakota-drifter-hiking-shoe/381387?cm_mmc=CSE-_-GPS-_-G_Shopping_Athletic%20%26%20Sneaker-_-New_Athletic%20%26%20Sneaker&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8KOqs4-22wIVjVuGCh1GoAX2EAQYASABEgLrnPD_BwE

I've been wearing them around the apartment and so far they are comfortable and cool enough for what they are. It was in the high 80s this week so they got a good test.

We're off to test drive our friends' new hot tub. :)

Bon Voyage Sally!

Wow Melody...that must have been quite a storm. I can't even imagine a deductible like that Sally.

Ooo Hot Tub!

Columbia are nice hikers. I had a pair very similar to those that I wore out.

I did a bit of a splurge on polarized sun glasses yesterday. I got the Mt Tort Blue Fade color:

https://www.suncloudoptics.com/SUNGLASSES/Injection-Molded/LOVESEAT-%28MEDIUM-FIT%29/p/S-LOPPSVMBF?

Picked up a pair of wood look ones for DS from Academy. I'm pretty sure these are them...though you can't see the wood look well at all:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/maverick-lifestyle-polarized-square-sunglasses-115104379#repChildCatid=5198482