All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Hello all!  So many great things being discussed here. 

First, Sally, it's fine that you don't like cake.  My future son-in-law isn't fond, and my daughter...it depends.  So they are getting a small cake to cut for the reception, after doing some taste testing at the bakery this week.  They decided on red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting.  There is a really nice way to make the frosting look like bark.  They will have a very simple topper for that.  The guests will be able to choose from these wonderful mini pastries and Italian cookies.  the mini pastries are so good - cannoli, cream puffs, fruit tarts, etc.  So, not everyone loves cakes!

You know what is really funny though?  We were looking for something different - a chocolate chip cookie cake.  There are a few bakeries that do this.  We had a mixup with one of them, and ended up stopping where I got my wedding cake from.  The future Mr. and Mrs. were thrilled to find something that mirrors their personalities, was cost effective and also allow them to retain some tradition.

Ah, cooking.   Growing up, we were very poor.  My mom was raised as what I will call a meat and potatoes cook.  She took the toughest, worst, cheapest cut of meat and made it into a fabulous meal.  With potatoes.  Carrots.  Cabbage.  Yes, we have a lot of German and Polish heritage in us.  She kind of cooked in bulk, lol.  Mom, Dad, and 6 kids!  During the week, we ate a lot of goulash, her version of Spanish rice, things like that. 

It was a day and age when you could not get a divorce in the US.  Women did not work outside the home.  But my parents did split up, getting a divorce by driving to Mexico.  And my mom, even prior to this, always worked.  There really weren't the shortcuts and prepared foods until I was practically in my teens.

But anyway, we all had to help out around the house, including cooking.  My mom made the best pies and cakes.  She was never really a cookie baker.  We didn't have lunch on Sunday, but we ate dinner around 3:00 and then we had dessert later on.  I have such fond memories of this.

Margaret, great job packing!  For three days, I would have been bringing more...but you know, depending on where I am going, I packed much differently.  I would imagine that if I was visiting my dad the way you are, I would do something similar, but I would pack a bit more.  Not a ton though - I definitely rewear jeans at this time of the year.  They keep their shape pretty good these days. 

It was snowing off an on yesterday and today, but it wasn't sticking.  It is bitterly cold with the wind today though. 

Anita, I almost said to you that you should invest in a few things for colder weather when I remember your planned move.  It also reminded me of the time we went to Universal Studios near New Year's for 4 days.  We froze.  One day, it was 60, and the rest of the days it was cold!  So while you won't need winter clothes, I would imagine you would want some warm basics for those occasional dips in the temperature.  Sally, what do you think?  Was it just a fluke that it was cold when I was there?

There was also a cruise where the wind made it very cold in the Cocoa Beach area.  Nothing horrible, though.  The fact that you can cruise without airfare, catch those resident rates, and last minute deals sounds sooooo wonderful.  Sigh.

Anita, I will have to check out your blog.

We do have cold snaps usually in January and occasionally one around Christmas . Visitors expect it to always be warm in Florida so they are not expecting it and usually did not pack for it . When we have a cold spell I wear jeans , long sleeve t shirt and a light sweater occasionally a light jacket . We never need wool or heavy jackets and when I see people in boots I just laugh. It will not be cooler than what Anita experienced in Atlanta .

Funny thing Sally...looking at most lists of the worst highways in the US, I have driven on every single one regularly that is in the southern half of the US...and most in the west. I've been on I-4...I agree with you 100%...and I don't think that it will be difficult to avoid I-4.

Atlanta was much cooler than Orlando. I had a mistaken impression of Atlanta with its moniker of Hot-lanta, but coming from Houston, which is way more similar to Orlando...I was cold. I lived in denial for the first few years and then started to get more cooler weather clothes. When I had first moved to Atlanta, I only owned one pair of jeans...and another pair of long pants. Everything else was capri length. Only owned one pair of closed toed shoes...everything else was a form of sandal. I'm believing that my Orlando wardrobe needs will be very similar to Houston.

And I'm looking forward to it. I love the cool weather and I love the layering that can happen with it, but I also find that the cooler weather is demotivating for many of my health and fitness goals...so I think that being in Orlando will be more supportive of some lifestyle changes that need to happen if DH and I are going to maintain mobility and ability to be active.

That said...I do have some cold weather basics and I will keep them. Like the Smartwool that we recently bought in a cold weather weight, etc. I still don't have too many long sleeves...I'm not a big sleeved-shirt fan... I have two long-sleeves in very lightweight fabric...two 3/4 sleeves in very thin jersey. One 3/4 sleeve in heavier fabric and two smart wool shirts. That's it. And one sweater...cotton. I have many over layers though in things like tech fabric.

I'm also not a big cake person. I much prefer pie to cake. I am also the weird person that doesn't like frosting...I don't want the end piece and often I'd chop off the top of a sheet cake to give DH or DS those bites. The exception is the kind of layer cake that has an almost mousse like layer between the thinner layers of cake. I like that. But cake? I'd rather have a sweet bread...like banana or pumpkin. Oh, the exception to that is carrot cake. We had a carrot cake layer in our wedding cake.

So Sally do you know how to cook some great German recipes?

On 11/8/2018 at 11:06 PM, MJC said:

Check out this cute crossbody bag:

https://www.signals.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=DETAIL&ITEM=HX7172

Love the colors ❤️ 

My sister and I both started cooking young, mostly because of Mom's health but also we grew up in a family (Dad's side) where everyone pitched in (Mom's side not as much for fear of making messes, control issues).  I remember having to preparing a meal for a home economics project in middle school (I miss home ec.).  My husband was doing some cooking in high school too since both parents worked (mostly putting roasts in the oven, but some hamburger meals).  We've been intentional about teaching our kids to cook too, and they both do pretty well.  I need to do more training with the 13 year old though.

It is funny how different we can all be, and share our different experiences and still find parallels.  I think one of the standout items to me about learning to cook from my mom was that she didn't have a recipe, and she didn't measure things. 

I swear by my Betty Crocker cookbook as a guide...but like my mom, I rarely measure  unless I"m making certain things.  It's more like the cookbook tells me what ingredients to go into a dish, but I don't follow it exactly.  Early on though, that thing was my bible, and I followed it to a T.  As a matter of fact, I am planning to get my daughter the exact same cookbook for Christmas.  🙂 

Well, I have been looking at dresses for the wedding.  My feeling is, if I see something in a store, take a moment and try it on.  If I see it online, buy it, as long as I can return it easily.  I guess I don't want to pass up on a good dress, then miss out.  At the same time, I'm not rushing.  It's just the planner in me. 

I saw a few options that I like.  The wedding is a mix of rustic, elegant, and a relaxes semi-formal.  Does that make sense?  The goal that we all have in mind is to create a fun and enjoyable event, without getting too casual.  My daughter's dress ended up a bit more formal that I think she was originally looking at, but it fits her personality so well.  Would it be odd for me to post a picture, seeing that many people keep the dress "under wraps" until the big day? 

Here is a dress that she wants for her two maid of honors.  No, she doesn't care that the base of the dress is ivory.  Her dress is actually a deeper ivory.  I know tradition says you don't compete with the bride.  My feeling has always been that competition would only be created by being overdressed, not wearing a light color.  Since she picked this dress, I think she feels the same.

https://www.kleinfeldbridalparty.com/shop/dresses/viewitem-KL2181043

Her dilemma is that she has been looking at long print dresses and there are very few that she liked that she felt were ideal for the wedding.  She isn't sure about what colors to have the two bridesmaids wear, but I was thinking blush or pale pink, and she isn't sure.  Her original plan was to get a print with both blush and a dresden or smoke blue, mid to lighter in tone.  This dress doesn't have the blue, and it may be more of a pink than a blush. 

Anyway, it is an evening wedding, so this is one dress that I like. It may have too much sparkle?  My daughter's dress has a lot on the top of the dress.  I think I would coordinate well with the chiffon dresses I posted a link to, without competing?  Or is it too much? I was thinking that with a 6:00 ceremony and a wedding to follow at the same venue, it will be evening/night, so the sparkles may work>

Anita, I am thinking you will not like the pattern. 

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/jump-glittered-sheath-dress/product/0500088759134?site_refer=EMLLT13485TRIGTRAN

I like this in evergreen, which would be different:

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/rachel-rachel-roy-harland-cross-front-halter-dress/product/0500088454888?site_refer=EMLLT13485TRIGTRAN

A little too casual?

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/sam-edelman-lace-a-line-dress/product/0500088752868?site_refer=EMLLT13485TRIGTRAN

Great dress, but seems too dark:

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/bardot-tara-lace-sheath-dress/product/0500088677278?site_refer=EMLLT13485TRIGTRAN

I told her that if she found what she was looking for the bridesmaids, I would also consider navy as well, as long as it is a brighter navy, not the blackish navy.  Funny thing, she pointed out a dress to me that was blush lace, and I thought it would be too close to the bridesmaids, if they end up with that color.

Some traditions I care about, some I don't.  She is the same.  We just want people to go, have a great time, and be well fed.

I love that print dress! Tradition is funny...if you look at some older traditions, the ladies closest to the bride and the bride would all dress alike so that it would be harder to identify the bride so that 1. she would be harder to steal away or 2. harder to curse. So all the bride lookalikes were for the bride's protection.

You're right. I don't like that pattern. I mean, it's pretty but I don't love the placement. I think you could get away with some sparkle for an evening wedding but is that hard to photograph? In my experience, sparkle often goes white in a photo with glare and that doesn't make for good photos. It's pretty though.

I love the green dress. Such clean lines. Beautiful silhouette. I think you could look great in photos and especially group photos. The length is really nice too. Doesn't seem like it would be good with a necklace though...that neckline is so tall. Just earrings and maybe a great bracelet?

That twilight color is really dark. IDK. The question is if it would read black...or if it were next to black, it would read more blue. You could have a great necklace with that one.

IDK about casual...but the dress that you call casual doesn't seem to fit nicely into being dressy or casual to me. The neckline is more casual somehow...IDK. I don't see you in that one.

We had the ceremony and reception in the same location. We did a cocktail hour after the ceremony and before dinner. In that time, we had the string quartet that played for the ceremony continue to play for the cocktail hour. We served alcohol at our wedding so IDK that you would want to call it a cocktail hour, but we had horderves too. Something that was a planned thing so that guests had something to do while we took pictures.

Thank you for your feedback.  I really love the green dress myself.  For one thing, I think it is a bit unexpected color wise, without being unusual.  Since it is very hard to find good earthy colors in formal wear, I am trying to be a bit more open to options and I liked that dress a lot.  I was thinking of accessorizing the way you mentioned - with a really good bracelet and earrings.  This is currently my first option.

If that twilight dress was available in another color, I think it would have a lot of potential.  I am not certain about the slightly off the shoulder look for me.  I haven't tried on something like that in quite some time.

I too was worried how the sparkles would photograph.  I liked the wine color, and that the sparkles are labeled as gold.  I could wear an existing pair of gold sandals, and maybe even jewelry I already have. 

And that other blue lace dress...well, I don't think it is a very good fit for the model, so I think that detracts from the dress.  The lace just didn't have that evening, elegant look to it.  I envisioned it as more or a daytime dress than an evening one.

I find that I need to break up the shoulder expanse, and the best way to do that is either with something taht comes in towards the next line and exposes the shoulder (green dress, wine dress) or with a V.  I have discovered that with a V, the size and placement of the strap really matters.  For that reason, another dress I have my eye on is probably not going to make the cut.  I was thinking of this dress in eggplant or bourdeaux.  Needlessly to say, I really like the second color because it is red based.  🙂   No ribbon with bow!  I can really see what a nice necklace can do for this dress.

https://www.kennedyblue.com/collections/bridesmaid-dresses/products/charlotte?variant=28615032456

3 hours ago, laurspag said:

It is funny how different we can all be, and share our different experiences and still find parallels.  I think one of the standout items to me about learning to cook from my mom was that she didn't have a recipe, and she didn't measure things. 

I swear by my Betty Crocker cookbook as a guide...but like my mom, I rarely measure  unless I"m making certain things.  It's more like the cookbook tells me what ingredients to go into a dish, but I don't follow it exactly.  Early on though, that thing was my bible, and I followed it to a T.  As a matter of fact, I am planning to get my daughter the exact same cookbook for Christmas.  🙂 

Well, I have been looking at dresses for the wedding.  My feeling is, if I see something in a store, take a moment and try it on.  If I see it online, buy it, as long as I can return it easily.  I guess I don't want to pass up on a good dress, then miss out.  At the same time, I'm not rushing.  It's just the planner in me. 

I saw a few options that I like.  The wedding is a mix of rustic, elegant, and a relaxes semi-formal.  Does that make sense?  The goal that we all have in mind is to create a fun and enjoyable event, without getting too casual.  My daughter's dress ended up a bit more formal that I think she was originally looking at, but it fits her personality so well.  Would it be odd for me to post a picture, seeing that many people keep the dress "under wraps" until the big day? 

Here is a dress that she wants for her two maid of honors.  No, she doesn't care that the base of the dress is ivory.  Her dress is actually a deeper ivory.  I know tradition says you don't compete with the bride.  My feeling has always been that competition would only be created by being overdressed, not wearing a light color.  Since she picked this dress, I think she feels the same.

https://www.kleinfeldbridalparty.com/shop/dresses/viewitem-KL2181043

Her dilemma is that she has been looking at long print dresses and there are very few that she liked that she felt were ideal for the wedding.  She isn't sure about what colors to have the two bridesmaids wear, but I was thinking blush or pale pink, and she isn't sure.  Her original plan was to get a print with both blush and a dresden or smoke blue, mid to lighter in tone.  This dress doesn't have the blue, and it may be more of a pink than a blush. 

Anyway, it is an evening wedding, so this is one dress that I like. It may have too much sparkle?  My daughter's dress has a lot on the top of the dress.  I think I would coordinate well with the chiffon dresses I posted a link to, without competing?  Or is it too much? I was thinking that with a 6:00 ceremony and a wedding to follow at the same venue, it will be evening/night, so the sparkles may work>

Anita, I am thinking you will not like the pattern. 

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/jump-glittered-sheath-dress/product/0500088759134?site_refer=EMLLT13485TRIGTRAN

I like this in evergreen, which would be different:

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/rachel-rachel-roy-harland-cross-front-halter-dress/product/0500088454888?site_refer=EMLLT13485TRIGTRAN

A little too casual?

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/sam-edelman-lace-a-line-dress/product/0500088752868?site_refer=EMLLT13485TRIGTRAN

Great dress, but seems too dark:

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/bardot-tara-lace-sheath-dress/product/0500088677278?site_refer=EMLLT13485TRIGTRAN

I told her that if she found what she was looking for the bridesmaids, I would also consider navy as well, as long as it is a brighter navy, not the blackish navy.  Funny thing, she pointed out a dress to me that was blush lace, and I thought it would be too close to the bridesmaids, if they end up with that color.

Some traditions I care about, some I don't.  She is the same.  We just want people to go, have a great time, and be well fed.

Laurie, love the floral print for bridesmaid dresses. Personally, I’d get the Sam Edelman lace dress, I don’t care for any of the others, but that’s me. Melody

All 3 of our kids & all our grands cook. Oldest daughter would rather bake, her husband cooks (he measures & weighs everything...math professor, I drive him nuts!). Middle daughter is an excellent cook, very innovative & makes designer sugar cookies. Son is overall good basic cook & makes the best brownies 

I don’t like cake unless it’s a chocolate or lemon lava cake. I’m the pie queen. We’ll likely have 10-12 different pies for Thanksgiving. I’ll do Apple, blueberry & cherry , sweet potatoe & a chocolate cream. Oldest daughter will make pecan & pumpkin, middle daughter will make a slab pie don’t know what kind yet & another kind. Son will bring his appetite (& special mashed potatoes). Melody

Laurie,  The dresses you are picking look more like a dinner dress than a wedding dress .I would look at something more in the lace variety and ramp it up a little .Do you know what the groom's mother is wearing ? You are supposed to be dressed similarly . For the wedding we attended in March it was a casual wedding similar to your daughter's and all the Mother's wore pants outfits .Two of us were in Blue lace and her Mother was in silk . It looked great since we were dressed similar but with slight differences .

Laurie , I now see that some of the dresses are lace or blingy so I retract my statement except for the halter dress . Pretty dress but too casual for a wedding . You are the Mother of the bride so you should be a step more formal than the guests . That sparkly dress is nice but the cut in shoulders makes it more casual . Think formal night on a cruise in a short dress .

I have been to tons of weddings and usually the Mother of the Bride wears a long dress but since this wedding is country club casual a short dress is fine . Try Dillard's ! The bridemaid's dresses are adorable .Good choice !

Laurie, this is just imho, but none of those seem as summery as the bridesmaid dress. I wonder if you can wait a bit until the early spring fashions come out because you might find a lovely green in a medium shade that will photograph better. There are two greens coming in the 2019 spring palette.  I picture those floral dresses with the bouquets in pink and rose with greenery, and you in a fresh green like the early spring leaves, but still in a muted autumn palette.

The last two summer weddings I went to were much more colorful than the usual NYC formal or semiformal event, usually full of black and navy and burgundy. As part of the bridal party you can be more creative than that, I think.  Whatever you choose, I know you will look fabulous, you always do.

I agree with Sally that as the MoB and the "hostess" of the wedding, you are kind of expected to set the tone for how the other women will dress by being on the more formal end of the spectrum for the type of wedding. That may be an old fashioned idea but it is a safe choice for you and will make your guests feel comfortable about their choices too. No one wants to be overdressed compared to the bridal party.

Edited by MJC

I went a long time with no weddings to attend, but in the past ten years, I've been to about one a year.  What is interesting is that they were all different - some formal, some informal, most in between.  The themes and overall feel were quite different for each. And seeing that I remarried 11 years ago, you can throw that in the mix too.

With weddings that involved a church wedding followed by a larger reception, the mother of the bride always seemed to wear a long, formal dress.  They were the usual - gray or silver, with sparkle.  Wit the casual weddings, it seemed like they were wearing what I will call church clothes.

Most of the weddings were in between - not casual, not over the top formal.  I saw a mix of dresses.

Generally, the mother of the bride picks first, and then the mother of the groom picks a different color, but tries to coordinate for the sake of pictures.  First, the chances of us wearing the same thing is next to impossible, so I don't feel like she has to wait for me to pick.  That being said, there is a story with all of this.

Dashaun and Steph told me to pick whatever I want, and they were confident that it would be appropriate.  Once I choose, they will arm themselves with that information to help his mother pick.  Apparently, she would likely pick and inappropriate, clubby dress without their intervention.  Lol!  She is a very nice lady.  I did get the feeling this was a possibility though. 

I also know she doesn't have a lot of money to spend on a dress, and my daughter is pretty sure that her future mother-in-law doesn't wear long dresses.  For that reason, I am very happy to wear a shorter dress, but I really want it to be....right.

I keep migrating to lace dresses, but I want them to be nicer lace dresses.  Most of what i am finding is either sleeveless or a cap sleeve, cross over or v-neck sheath.  Same, same, same. I really prefer something that shows my shoulders a bit, as it tends to create a much better silhouette.  I think if I had to describe what I'm looking for, I would say elegant, confident, unique, feminine. Nothing that I could wear to the office!

I think the evergreen dress checks a lot of those boxes.  I'm all for jewelry, so since we are all getting our hair done that day, I can make sure I'm wearing earrings that are noticeable (I use that term because they are normally lost in my hair somewhere) and then a really strong bracelet. 

I decided to order a few of these to see, since I can run right up to the mall with any returns.  I think the green dress might be a keeper, even if not for the wedding.

I may look at some of the wine color dresses again.  I recall one with a soustache style lace in a burgundy color.  That might be a really good color choice based on the maid of honor dresses, and the fact that I know the bridesmaids aren't wearing that color. 

The search is fun.  I'm enjoying it, and I am really enjoying sharing with all of you and getting feedback.

Margaret, since I love dressing up and I have a lot of other places to wear formal, short dresses to, I may continue to look even after I find something ideal.  There will be no waste, and that is one area that I really have hardly nothing of - short formal/cocktail dresses.   I have one at the moment, and it is a neutral color.  I could probably wear this dress if I want to, but there is something about night time events, and wanting to wear either a mid tone or a darker tone.

I certainly hope you are right, and that some of the Pantone colors end up in the stores!

In the meantime, if you see something, please let me know.  I'm trying t think of different places to look. 

I really like the evergreen dress (except in the length of the black option for that dress.  The only problem is the bridesmaid dress (assuming the lighter background) might be too much of a contrast.

The glittered sheath might work (not sure if the patterns would clash), but I'd want a few more inches on it also.  Most of the dresses seemed short to me, especially once you sit down.

Something in a wine/burgundy that is the same color family as the mauve in the dress sounds like a good color option.

Laurie, I agree with Sally on Adrienne Papel lace dresses. Also the Alex Evenings. Personally, I wouldn’t do a print if the bridesmaids are in prints. I love the look of lace dresses if you can find one in a knee length or slightly longer (maybe the midi length of the one Margaret posted). Don’t laugh, but have you looked at JC Penney?  They have some very nice lace dresses at very reasonable prices. 

I got the stitches out yesterday, now to slowly get back into my exercise groove. I can’t submerge my foot in water (other than to shower) until the first of December so no Aqua classes for me. I’m still in ortho boot till Monday after Thanksgiving so no driving till then. I’m much more sore than I expected to be from the stitch removal (took almost an hour to get them out), so I’m just vegging on the couch today. Melody

I don't worry about dresses being short most of the time.  I'm only 5'4". They usually end up longer as a result.  A midi or hi low would be great.

Margaret, I loved the first dress you posted, but I wish there were other colors! The second one is very pretty also, but since it looks like my daughter likes the print dress, I'm going to look for a solid dress. 

Adriana Pappell has some great choices.  I found one I really liked, but wasnt sure it was right for MOB.  I will find the link to share. 

Melody, I've bought a lot of things from JCP.  Remember the teal lace mermaid dress I wore on my last cruise? It was from Penneys.

That's my favorite one so far. I think it would work just fine if you didn't go all out bling for the shoes and jewelry.

Here is another one I like, and in my favorite color:

https://www.lordandtaylor.com/bardot-off-the-shoulder-sheath-dress/product/0500088534225?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302023792&amp;R=9351221494002&amp;P_name=Bardot&amp;N=302023792+4294887063+4294965210+4294929522&amp;bmUID=msa_u.f

Laurie...that's a pretty dress but I have some concerns about how well that dress will ultimately photograph.

First...I think hi-lo is a great idea...could be really easy to walk around in. What is the flooring/ground like for the barn? Would you be walking on grounds? Lawn? Paths? Are they paved? The logistics of walking around would be a high concern for me. As the MOB, it's likely that you will be walking all around, taking care of the things that need to be taken care in the moment. Real time oversight, etc. So whatever you wear, and especially your shoes, you want to be able to easily walk all around.

BUT...with hi-lo the wrong side of the fabric shows. Knowing how much photoshopping gets done for marketing purposes...we have no idea what they did to the photo to increase its appeal. Or with the lighting in the studio for the photographs. You'd want to investigate what happens with any hi-lo dress in the normal course of events where...as in the dress product photo...the underside shows.

For this particular dress...that front is really short. It's possible that the seam on either side of that "apron" like panel in the front is a pleat that tucks a bunch of the skirt underneath to try to not have it be such a short skirt but that also means that the wrong side of the fabric will show all the time. And ALSO...that means that there is extra fabric around the waist, right in the front...which means that from many side angles, the dress could have a bump right there where the extra fabric is layered. I'm not sure how flattering that would be. Especially in photos, if you weren't standing just right...

The one thing about wedding dresses...many bridal gowns and bridal party dresses have a lot of interest in the back because that is the view that most people have of the bride and party for the ceremony. And of course, throughout the night...while the brides attention is focused on one person, everyone continues to see her from the back all night long.

It's not as true for the MOB, but it is something to take into consideration. We tend to focus on the front...but for an event like this...especially one that could be photographed all over...you do want to consider all angles.

I would think that you might want more interest in the bodice on your dress. This dress has all the interest down low...and for other occasions that would be a non-issue...but for this one, I really think you want to draw the eye up.

Pretty dress...but I think you could do better for the wedding.