All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

I have plenty of time to look for doors...that project could best be described as "would be nice"...definitely down toward the bottom of the priority list.

Our new vanity was delivered Saturday. Really great service. I didn't pay for the in house delivery, only the to the front door delivery but the delivery guys are shooting for team of the month and they brought it in. Very nice. We haven't opened it yet. We need to to be sure all is well but we've been crazy busy.

If you don't want to read about gardening...then ignore the rest of this post LOL. Food forest. Fruit guild. Both are what I would call a subset of permaculture. The idea is that you recreate the layers of plants naturally occurring in forested areas...including the canopy trees, the understory trees, the bushes and shrubs, the herbs, the vines, the ground covers. It's a carefully curated bunch of plants which serve functions like attracting pollinators or predators of possible damaging insects, repelling possible damage, accumulating nutrients in the soil to make available to other plants that need it, fixing nitrogen in the soil to make it available to other plants, etc. The idea is that bare ground doesn't normally exist in the world...something comes in and takes root, so plan the plants so you don't end up with weeds.

With that in mind...here's what my front yard currently looks like with 4 cinder block beds for veggies plus and my own personal food forest experiment in front of the beds. We planted an avocado tree (my canopy), a guava tree (the first understory tree..the second will be a Barbados Cherry but they aren't in stock yet), a Meyer lemon bush (which is a huge bush that could be pruned into a tree shape or not), and 3 blueberry bushes. I have many herbs planned to fill in the space as well as squash and pumpkins to act as ground cover. As the trees mature, the plants around them change as the sun exposure changes...so it's perfectly wonderful to have the full sun space in the beginning for planting the sprawling veggies like the squashes and pumpkins. 

IMG-5897.jpg

The cinder block beds are a bit wonky. They are literally just stacked straight onto the grass. Just something to quickly get the beds up and growing. We made the bean trellis out of bamboo from the backyard...you can see the upper reaches of the bamboo directly behind the trellis in the photo. I still have to make a couple pea trellises and also add the supports for the tomatoes which is what is growing in the same bed as the beans.

It's all great fun. There's something uplifting about planting seeds, seeing them sprout, seeing them grow, marking when they start to get their first real leaves. Soon I'll be thinning the radishes and crazy enough, I should be eating my own radishes either this weekend or next. I need to refresh my memory on maturity times!

Oh...I cut my hair again. I went a little shorter this time. I bit of a pageboy cut you could say. I just took the clippers I use to cut DH's hair and holding my hair taut against my neck and jawline cut as straight a line as I could. It's swinging freely above my shoulders again...

• Like 2

Melody...yes! The blossoms are amazing. I hadn't planned on getting the lemon this year. There's a local nursery, very nice, very large, and when I was talking to someone there at their information booth, he said to avoid the citrus because of whatever it is that has been attacking the citrus here in Florida. I'm not a big citrus fan? To me, all the oranges and the like are fine but they seem so limited...I'm not aware of baking and other cooking things to do with citrus...except for marmalade. But I use lemons and limes all the time.

Anyway...I was in Lowes and there they were...I was attracted by the smell of the blossoms...SO LOVELY. $24.95? For a 3-gallon Meyer Lemon. SOLD! Something about the Meyer Lemons...since the 1970s, all the ones produced and sold are resistant to whatever that fungus is. Interesting note though...there was a tag on my lemon saying that it was unlawful to remove the plant from Florida.

Doing some online shopping, I saw that one supplier wouldn't ship to a huge list of states. So there's something about the Meyer Lemon.

It will be successful as a container plant though...so if you can get one, I totally would. 

• Like 1

We are still months away from planting anything. But here's some flowers for you!

LabellaFleur2.JPG.8a26e39fdc6a94f1203027e319dc6ca8.JPG

The February issue of InStyle was about fashion up-and-comers across the country in different cities. This company is in Atlanta, and the woman who started it wanted fun clothes for her kids that didn't cost big bucks. She started designing with thrift finds. I love how exuberant these outfits are! I am noticing in a lot of ads for spring that color and fun are a big part of what's being shown. I'm perusing the March Vogue now, and I'll share some pictures soon. I think there will be a lot of options for our FIRE friends. I am enjoying the thought of wearing fewer layers and ditching the boots. :)

• Like 2

Those outfits are so fun.  One thing I especially love about kids is that they often have their own ideas for fashion.  I think it is fun to let them explore that.  When I look at the picture you posted, Margaret, all I can think of is when I used to watch things like Soul Train and American Bandstand in the 70s.  

I think that people right now may want color, and vibrancy.  We've all been somewhat secluded now for a year. I recently got an email from Athleta, and the whole thing was to advertise the color coral.  I haven't checked it carefully yet, but I think it is a mix of fire and earth shades, in that some are rather muted and dusty looking.  For the gym, I usually go with what I like, since earth colors don't show up too often.  

I found a cute outfit at Victoria's Secret I was thinking of getting.  I really don't necessarily need new gym clothes, but I am finding that I like certain things so I am starting to figure that out.  For me, what I wear to the gym affects my mood. Also, I need to learn to buy things that coordinate while they are available, because I often have trouble coordinating outfits.  Footwear is almost impossible to coordinate, lol.  It is what it is.

When I am feeling very serious and focused, I want darker solid colors.  When I need a little push, I want to be more colorful.  Still, the best fitting and feeling leggings have been Athleta by far.  I have only purchased clearance finds so far because dropping $90 - $100 for a pair of leggings is super steep for me.  VS has some really nice things, but they are as soft as Athleta.

Another nice thing about Athleta is that they have some nice colors.  It is great to find things other than black, isn't it?

Anita, I like your garden.   When you talk about lemon trees and things like that, it feels so different.  We are so far away from weather warm enough to even plant some tomatoes and the like.  New York is great for apples though!

• Like 1

Our growing season is so short that we seldom bother. Everytime I’ve grown tomatoes I lose them to hailstorms. I’ll do some sunflowers (love the happy faces) & then chase the squirrels as they run up the stalks

@laurspagAthleta has the best leggings and they last forever. I don't mind spending $$ for them. I've tried other brands, but they just wind up in a drawer getting passed over. Same with their sports bras. I have a couple of jackets too and lots of t-shirts, mostly clearance. My husband dreads it when I say I'm going there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

@laurspagAthleta has the best leggings and they last forever. I don't mind spending $$ for them. I've tried other brands, but they just wind up in a drawer getting passed over. Same with their sports bras. I have a couple of jackets too and lots of t-shirts, mostly clearance. My husband dreads it when I say I'm going there.

I have a few leggings, a few shirts and two pair of what I'll call athleisure pants.  Oh, and swimsuits too!  I try to wait for sales but I end up missing out on a lot of good stuff.  That is the frustrating part.  It is such good quality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, laurspag said:

I have a few leggings, a few shirts and two pair of what I'll call athleisure pants.  Oh, and swimsuits too!  I try to wait for sales but I end up missing out on a lot of good stuff.  That is the frustrating part.  It is such good quality.

Ah, the swimsuits. I always wore a one piece until I discovered Athleta and their swimsuits. I love that some of the tops have underwire support and the shorts bottoms are the best.

• Like 1

Laurie...I understand the reluctance to spend that kind of money on leggings but I did when I found a pair that I just loved at Athleta when I was able to go into one of their stores. I think it was the Spring Break college road trip and I went into an Athleta store in Ann Arbor for the first time ever. I’ve worn those leggings quite a bit and they are now a month away from 3 years old? They are still in like new shape they have held up so well. My cost per wear is already extremely low. I think they were about $80? I know I’ve worn them at least once per month...that’d be a cpw of $2.22. I don’t wear them quite as much in the summer heat so idk that I could realistically say I wear them once a week every week? So conservatively speaking, wearing every other week for 3 years is a cow of $1.03 and the fact that they are still in such great shape. If the leggings are something that you would wear, then totally worth the investment.

• Like 1

I am totally clueless about plants . If they live they stay . I mostly have salt tolerant plants , two oaks and palm trees because they are hardy , 

As for leggings I wear under armour slightly loose capri leggings . I hate any thing too tight . They last forever and are super comfortable .

• Like 1

I am slowly learning different things.  It seems like with anything new, it takes me a while to figure certain things out.  I started my fitness journey a while ago...I believe my first gym visit was April 1, 2015.

I normally don't remember dates like that, but my husband and I joked a lot because it was April Fool's Day.   So it has been almost 6 years now.

I slowly learned what styles I liked and which I didn't.  It wasn't until the past two years that I realized certain things.  One thing is about sports bras.  I love the strappy pretty ones, and many are very supportive.  However, the front zip are really a great idea for me, since I have trouble with my shoulders and arms sometimes and they are easier for me to get off and on..  Every sports bra I own, and i have a bunch, are all VS.  The downside with the front zip ones I have is that they are bit bulky.  It's like you have a real bra under the zip up part.  Do any of you have some from Athleta?

With tops, I don't want sleeves, and I don't want anything up close around my neck.  If they show off a strappy bra, even better.  I really don't see any differences  from brand to brand.  All of mine have been made nice and have lasted a long time.  It's like I can buy any top, and as long as I like the style, it's great.

Bottoms?  Those are harder.  Athleta is the best.  Victoria's Secret comes in second. I have some odd brands as well as C9, as I found them at Marshalls.  There are some great brands, but Athleta is a cut above the rest for me.  I have definitely migrated a bit.  I don't really like all the high waist stuff, because I'm short waisted so everything tends to roll.  Athleta stay put the best.

I went through each part because I wanted to share what I like, but to also learn what you like.  One thing I aspire for is harmony, in anything.  So my big issue right now is that I have a lot of tops, and a mix of bottoms and not too much really coordinates.  If you find a pair of earth tights that you like, it's a good idea to make sure you get a top to go with it or you may never have anything to go with it.

I hate to get rid of things that I like (even if I don't love) that are still good.  So this will be a slow process, and I will get coordinating tops.  

I pretty much know which items need replacing first, and which ones I will replace later.  I think that if I make sure I have navy (the warmer navy) and gray, they work well with almost everything.  So those will likely be my next purchases from Athleta.  I still want a sale if I can get it!

We have been getting a lot of snow, until mid last week.  We had a warm (well for us - 45 degrees) weekend so a lot of snow has melted.  It is so deceiving...it makes you think spring is here and we know that isn't true!

• Like 1

Tough few days for my best friend, she lost her husband to an unexpected heart attack on Saturday morning & her youngest sister today to pneumonia . I’m headed to Maine as soon as her family leaves, she knows I’ll just be there with her (& I’ll cook). Melody

11 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Melody , That is beyond awful . Losing your husband is awful but losing your sister at the same time is too much . She is lucky you can help .

She wants me to wait till her family all leaves so we can just be. Right now I’m helping with paperwork long distance. 

we get our second vaccine this morning

54 minutes ago, awhfy said:

She wants me to wait till her family all leaves so we can just be. Right now I’m helping with paperwork long distance. 

we get our second vaccine this morning

That is wise . It is after everybody leaves that reality starts to hit .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

That is wise . It is after everybody leaves that reality starts to hit .

My feeling too (& face it, middle March in upper Maine is not a fun place to be!!!). She gets her second vaccine on St Pats Day too. Our second vaccines (so far) are doing great

Melody, my heart goes out to your friend. I'm sure you will be a great comfort to her.

We finally got our new car on Monday, a red Mazda CX-5. We took a ride around the neighborhood right away, and yesterday I did a Costco run. Today, wine store. Tomorrow, Michael's for some picture frames. Sure is nice to be able to drive again!

• Like 1

Melody, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's family.  That must be so difficult for her.  I'm glad that you are here for her, and especially glad that when you visit, you both will have your vaccines.  

Speaking of which...after a discussion with my doctor, I am eligible.  The big thing right now is for me to get an appointment scheduled.  Onondaga County has an excellent system for it.  We have a ton of sites to use.  The appointments fill up fast, but they are constantly making more available.  NYS Fairgrounds is open 24 hours a day to give the vaccine out!  

So my house journey continues.  I am getting little things done, and it feels good.  I honestly think that wanting to be able to retire as soon as I am able to financially is a good catalyst.  You know how when you are going on vacation, you get your house cleaning and bill paying all in order first, so that you are ready to go and don't have to worry about coming home to a zillion chores?  Well that is what this feels like.  

Small things are always going to happen.  Maybe I should call these more mid range?  Just the feeling of rooms being completed is a big plus too.  Mid range items are like replacing all the smoke detectors in the house, since some are pretty old.  These all connect, so if one goes off, they all go off.  That is a necessity when you have a hearing loss.  I also have a special alarm clock that tells me when they are going off, so if I am asleep at night, I will know if there is a fire.

We purchased an Arlo security setup.  We will have a camera on the porch, a wide lens camera in the yard, and one in the house.    Now we need to get these installed.  🙂 I actually purchased them at Christmas time, anticipating we can install at our leisure.

When I talk about a room that is completed, I should explain that it always seems we stop short a little bit.  We have all the moulding in finally, except for a few pieces in the mud room and laundry room.  

I have two things I am really excited about right now.  Last weekend, after years of not liking to see wires in the family room, my husband and I ran them through the wall to a surge inside the pantry in the mud room.  What a neat, clean look that creates!  

The second thing: we picked and purchased new pendant lights for the kitchen.  I made a bad choice when we remodeled almost 14 years ago, and I felt I lived with the mistake long enough.  The catch was, finding what I thought would look right in there.  Harmony, not matchy matchy.  Mission cabinets, but not a mission style home.  Vintage items sprinkled throughout.  Will what we pick look right with the light fixtures already in the room?

Anita, I thought about you talking about what you chose for your bathroom, and what I was talking about doing.  I don't need things to be the same, but I desire coordination.  

I'll post more in a second post with pictures, so that I'm breaking up my already too long post. 🙂 

I plan to post an old picture versus a new of the kitchen, just so that you can see the new lights and curtains in the room, as soon as the lights are installed.  For now though, here is what the change will be.  The old light is on the left, and the light we just purchased is on the right.  

The light on the left we purchased for a few reasons: it felt square, which reminded me of the sharp edges you have with mission.  The glass was the same color as the light fixtures  in the kitchen, dining room and family room, so I thought it was coordinated.  The darker metal finish was there as well.  They aren't bad, they just didn't feel like our style.  We matched certain finishes but ended up with something that didn't do anything for the room, and it felt amiss.  An Asian feeling in a room that could be summed up as a mix of traditional, with vintage decor?

Our new one on the right still picks up on some things in the house: the metal finish coordinates, as well as the chain feature.  The dining room light fixture has a chain also.  The rest of it though picks up on the touches of glass decor in the house, and just feels right.  They description is transitional.

I can't fully put my finger on it, but it feels right to me.  Just so that you know, these are bigger than the existing lights, so they will feel more substantial.

What are your thoughts?

IMG_20210306_103118.thumb.jpg.5136aac42c05c0b4ca668c76220a2f66.jpg

Just to add, here is a picture of the dining room, so you can see the light fixture and also the drapes I finished up.  Little things mean a lot, so we have the metal clippers out as the extra link in the chain bothers me.  

20210306_090313_resized.thumb.jpg.5f216a65702c24548a0a93bab6234578.jpg

Edited by laurspag

Laurie...I like the new pendant light! I think I understand what you mean about the chain...there's something a bit stiff about those pole pendants...And with the hard edges of the square fixture...it doesn't quite flow in a way that the chain and the curved lines of the new pendant. I like the new one very much...you say it is bigger?

btw...still love those curtains. The fabric is just so fab.

We just got back from a fun little jaunt up to Daytona Beach. It's the first full weekend of the month and as a BofA customer, we get free admission to participating museums in the Museums on Us program with BofA. We headed up to the Daytona Museum of Arts and Science today. I have periodically looked at museums in my area over the years to see what appeals...and sometimes there are exhibits that are especially appealing and other times, just kind of meh...and for the effort to get to some of these museums...meh isn't worth it for me...but there was a watercolor artist that had AMAZING artwork and I wanted to see it. So that's what we headed up to see.

His name is Frank Spino...and here is an example of his WATERCOLOR art:

129416427c9694868e0b95e8b1a9751b.png

His art was just mind blowing really...there was one with juice on the juicer and the whole bubble action. Really fantastic art. This is a visiting exhibit so definitely wanted to see it before it went away. There were probably less than 30 paintings in all...20-30. Just one hall...we walked down and back up...and we still had some juice for hitting a permanent exhibit about American Art from 1700-1900 which included paintings, furniture, silver and glass...really wonderful stuff. Seeing the furniture was especially interesting.

A bit on other shopping in Daytona and then we hit the Habitat Restore store in New Smyrna Beach on the way home...which wasn't NEARLY as good as the Restore in Vero Beach that we hit last weekend. Such things are always hit and miss but the Vero Beach area is more upscale in general I think? And therefore the potential offerings at the Restore in VB is of a higher caliber anyway, I think, but also the store itself was just HUGE compared to the NSB one so we will definitely go back to the VB one to check for things...we did buy a bench for the entryway last weekend.

I've been so busy in the garden...much of my time has been spent planting seeds, caring for the seedlings, making garden structures (trellises, etc.), making more beds...planting trees. Just so much...

Today though...I'm going to be tracing my new sewing patterns I've bought. I need some looser lightweight clothing and that's what I'm hoping to make soon...first, I need to trace the patterns though. If I anticipate liking a pattern a lot, I like to keep it intact, especially if I hope to be able to make a different size in the future. I trace the pieces needed onto pattern paper (I have a big roll of pattern paper that I bought years ago). That's what I'm doing this afternoon...

The rain is taking care of watering the garden for me today...

Oh...crazy weather...we had serious HAIL in Daytona...OMG...I was glad we were in the car and not walking...we had just left the museum. Most of the hail was less than 1" in diameter but a few were about 1"...we were hoping that it wouldn't dent the car there was so much of it coming down so hard.

• Like 1