All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Anita, the new pendant lights are definitely bigger than what we currently having hanging up.  One of the things I like is that the we can adjust the height, and the current ones hang right where we want them.  We are going to measure  so that we have an idea where to start when we go to install the new ones.  We will use the chain to hang them at the same level, and if we like it, then we can make the adjustments to the chain.  I just don't want to cut the chain beforehand, just in case!

Those lights feel like our style and I can envision them in the room.  I think it will be really nice.  It's a sunny day, so if my husband and I wanted to, we could probably get these done pretty easily.  He's been feeling a little off physically lately, so I won't push it.  If he offers, we will do it.  If not, it will be done....soon.

So, I'm scheduled for my vaccine!  The site is pretty easy to maneuver, and It came up with the first available appointment in my time range as the 31st.  Someone that I know told me that it is important to refresh a lot, as there are always earlier appointments.  I reached out to him and asked, as he is literally scheduling 100s of people, and helping those that are not computer savvy in particular.  He did his magic, and I"m getting my shot this week.  I don't know yet which one it is.  I will take whatever they give.  I know we have a large shipment of J&J that came in, so it is possible I will have just one dose.  We shall see.  Honestly, I would like to see them focus the Johnson and Johnson version for the seniors and those with mobility issues, who often need someone to take them.  Better one visit for them than two.

Melody, if we don't hang the lights today, we will probably start the Arlo system.  I would say we would finish it, but is is pretty cold out so we probably won't do the outside ones yet.  We have the wide lens one for the back, and we were going to install a smaller one on the porch, leaving two for inside the house.  The inside ones are not just for safety against robbery and the like, but for our dogs, lol.  My husband loves to be able to check on on them from work, ha.

Anita, I'm glad that hail storm didn't cause damage!  Did it rain all day?  Just curious, because the first Red Sox game that I would be able to watch was yesterday, and they got through two innings before they called it for rain.  It was raining before the game even started, and making the grass pretty slick.  For spring games, they play in Fort Myers.

One thing my husband and I really want to start doing is getting out more.  Go to Rummage Heaven.  Take a day trip to look for antiques.  Find a neat little winery.  I think we both will feel better physically and mentally.   There is only so much you can do in the house sometimes, you know?    

• Like 1

Laurie, lol. Our daughter has 2 Arlos inside to check on what Winter (the silver lab) is up to. She can tell her to get off the couch too 😉. We just put up solar chargers for our outside cameras, that’ll keep them charged. We have two in trees & one with motion sensor lights over our garage. The others are in our backyard. We really like our Arlo cameras

Melody, we have had two days of wonderful springy weather, with temps in the mid 60s.  This weekend, we are back down to mid 30s.  We almost always get a winter storm sometime in March.  At least we know the end is in sight, right??

Shot #1 today.  So far, so good.  I have to say, our county has this system down pat.  It was as easy as can be, with everyone very in tune to different needs, such as my hearing loss.  I received Pfizer, so I go back for the second shot on April 1st.  

So far, so good.  I had a little bit of a headache while in the grocery store, but nothing I would take anything for.  I feel fine now.  I figure it is a wait and see deal, but the benefits will outweigh having COVID by far, so I am good with that.  My husband had his last month, and his was Moderna.  He had no side effects whatsoever, other than a slightly sore arm for a day.

Half the smoke detectors are installed now.  They would all be, but we got side tracked.  We started working on them, and we had to put in anchors for the screws.  We realized after we got all of them set up, and tested - the are interconnecting and if one goes off, they all go off - that my daughter was in the middle of her online class.  Oops.  Well, at least she was upstairs and we were downstairs!  So we installed the basement ones and will finish upstairs very soon.  We have an insane amount of them, but it is on purpose due to my hearing loss.

I have been buying mostly house stuff we have needed lately, but no clothes.  I found some sandals on sale at Macy's that I have ordered.  Let me post the links for you.

These I purchased in moss.  The color is a tad cooler than the online picture, but I think they will work out well for work.  I can also see them on a cruise with a casual dress.   I was really caught between this and the orange, but I think I am much more likely to be able to wear the moss color more frequently.  At this price, with an additional coupon, I will get my money's worth.

Style & Co Mulan Wedge Sandals, Created Macy's & Reviews - Sandals - Shoes - Macy's

These here look ideal for work, and the heel is modest.  These too would look great with a dress as well, and I should get a lot of use from them.  I ordered them in the nude color, a shiny patent leather look.  I was just itching to get the red, lol!

Style & Co Paycee Two-Piece Dress Sandals, Created for Macy's & Reviews - Sandals - Shoes - Macy's

Lastly, I ordered more traditional work shoes.  These came in today, and look pretty narrow.  I have a wide foot, and usually have to order a little big and then add a double layer of the heel inserts.  It's no fun having wide feet.  But if they are snug, they have to go back because that neuroma will be aggravated.

Clarks Collection Women's Linvale Jerica Pumps & Reviews - Pumps - Shoes - Macy's

This is a very warm, reddish brown color and they look beautiful.  If they are way too small, maybe I can go up one size?  It's really weird, because they are wide width.

With the moss ones that I got on clearance, I also saw these.  I normally shy away from prints, but since I wear solid colors, how cute would these be????  Floral cork is the color choice I'm referring to.  I've been thinking about them all day long.  

Style & Co Mulan Wedge Sandals, Created Macy's & Reviews - Sandals - Shoes - Macy's

Sadly, much of what I buy for my feet go back because getting a decent fit is difficult for me.  

Laurie I like the moss green, I also like the animal/snake print in the same shoe. That’d be a great neutral

i sure hope spring is around the corner, I’m tired of snow!!!

Hi Laurspag,

Happy to hear that you got your first Pfizer vaccine.    I also received Pfizer.  The first shot my arm was sore for about three days.  Second shot the same sore arm and just felt a little tired.  Same with my DH.

• Like 1

Shoe shopping can be such a pain... I've lost my eye for looking at shoes with any kind of heel. They all looked pretty nice to me...I was able to see the links on my iPad by "the connection is not private" on the MacBook...IDK why but that pops up sometimes and my browser gets all wiggy about going to some sites...something about Macy's sets it off.

I only have one new clothing purchase...I got a Columbia brand collared button down long sleeved shirt that is technically a fishing shirt...but I'm using it for gardening.

Glad you didn't have any immediate reaction to the jab...would be curious if that continues

• Like 1

The shots were not bad at all.  After the first one, I had a sore arm for a few hours.  I was concerned about the second one but not much problem at all.  Had some chills for a few hours and a slight headache but that was all.  I normally do not like vaccines, shots ( have never had a flu shot) but thought I need to get this.

• Like 1

Well, I am a couple days into my first shot, and I feel great.  No issues whatsoever.  Yesterday morning, my arm was a little bit sore, but no biggie.  They say movement and drinking lots of water is key.  Honestly, I think my gym workout this morning got rid of any lingering soreness in that arm very fast.

I have definitely decided to send back the moss sandals.  Mostly I am doing so because they felt a bit uncomfortable as to the fit.  If they fit okay, I would have kept them because they were very inexpensive and I would get my money's worth out of them.  Right now, I am thinking that since they didn't have one size up on these, I will go with the floral if they have a half size up. I will recheck on both, because you know how that can be...things can be gone in a flash, or a size that wasn't available before can suddenly be available.

I hate having big feet, but it is what it is.

There is a top I have literally been watching for a year at Lascana's for $37.00.  My husband asked me if I planned to just keep looking at it or if I would actually buy it, lol.  The nice thing is, I can wear a regular bra with it or a racerback, from the looks of it on the model.  One thing I have found is the styling of sleeveless tops really matters.  I need something that cuts in a bit inward, to break up that wide expanse.  It makes such a big difference.  There are so many cute tops out there, but I don't want to wear a strapless bra.

Here is the top I have been watching for so long.  The colors seem earthy, yes?

Turquoise Multi Tie Front Sleeveless Top, Skinny Leg Cropped Pants from LASCANA

On 3/9/2021 at 1:08 PM, awhfy said:

Well we’re expecting a major winter event this weekend. 15-50” of snow over Friday-Sunday. Hopefully it’ll be the last huge snow of the winter!!  Melody

We have about 10” & it’s still snowing heavily. It’s that good moisture content snow that is wonderful for water table & awful for shoveling. Parts of Colorado are measuring this storm in feet!  Melody

We have had a lot of back and forth weather, but the last few days have been beautiful.  It's so nice to wear a light jacket instead of a winter coat!

We continue to be productive.  We finished up the smoke detectors, and installed the new pendant lights.  I really love them.  They are very much what I had hoped for.  I always wish we had given more thought to the light placement, but at the time, we put the fixtures where the previous ones had been, despite the fact we had gutted the whole room.  The pendant lights were new, so those were placed well.  

Sometimes though, you leave certain things alone.   really don't want to cut holes in the ceiling, repair the existing ones, then repaint, etc.  If we ever need to do more work in there though, I won't hesitate to move the ceiling fixtures.

I'll get a picture when I have a moment!

It is very strange to have warmer weather during March Madness, but at the same time, it means lots of things to look forward to.  I remember one year, 2017, I believe, where we had a horrible snowstorm at this time.  Syracuse didn't make it to the NCAAs that year, but they were in the NIT and the game was here in Syracuse.  They had to postpone the game a day, it was so bad out.

On the old light fixture topic:  I love those Edison lights.  You could probably go to Home Depot/Lowes and find other glass for the dining room fixture to maybe mimic it and then put Edisons in it.  I changed the glass on all my fan lights when I bought my house and then made sure I had a cool glass for my new nickel dining room light (a light white alabaster).  Just a hint if you tire of that tan color.  

• Like 1

I was just glancing through a magazine called "Fine Home Building".  The pendant lights didn't match the light over the table, but they also didn't compete.  I liked that.

I like my kitchen and dining room light fixtures. My kitchen fixtures are not placed properly.   Loving the new pendant lights. Those were so easy to do be abuse they were going in the samissing.

I like your idea, and want to do something  similar in the master bedroom.  It's an odd room in that it is big square footage wise, but awkward because it is narrow and long so we don't have many options for furniture location.  We have two ceiling fans. Yep, it's that long.  I really want to update the light portion of the fan.  They're not the regular glass though?  There aren't little screws holding them in,  and some are missing.  We totally neglect our room...

Here we go.  Notice the weird spot for the ceiling fan? It isn't centered.   Nor is the light on the other side.  But the picture is really to show you the pendant lights.  They aren't cool, but warm.  Just too much glare since it is nighttime now.

😊

20210322_203830.jpg

Edited by laurspag
  • Like 2

The pendants look great Laurie! Totally fits with your kitchen IMO...a big improvement on what you had before. 

Is that a bar top countertop? With an overhand for barstools? Or did it used to have that? I ask because if the pot light is not centered between the kitchen peninsula and the far wall but is maybe a bit closer to the wall that the countertop...maybe it is because that would have been centered on a table that would be off center if there were bar stools at the counter. I've lived in places where the light was centered but then it was super awkward to have bar stools at the counter and wished that the light were off center in the ceiling so that it would be centered on the table that was arranged to make room for using the bar stools. OMG...did that make sense?

The ceiling fan placement though is odd for sure. Except that it might circulate air in the room without totally blowing away everything on the table under it. If the previous owners had a smaller more cafe or bistro style table in there...a smaller circle closer to the window side...that might make more sense. Or maybe the previous owners had a desk or something under the window and not a table at all...and that would make even more sense. Bar stools for casual dining or earlier in the day dining...and a nice little desk for homework or whatever while dinner was being made...

Your rooster is pretty fab... Mom has a great chef pig in her kitchen...

And I LOVE the hardware on your cabinets...so unique.

My life is all about the yard. The pantry project is completely stalled as all the focus has turned to the yard. We're all about getting things planted this season so we get things in the ground as soon as we are able...this year we will have planted...6 blueberry bushes, 10 blackberry bushes, an avocado tree, a guava tree, a meyer lemon bush, a Barbados cherry tree, a peach tree, a fig tree, and two black mulberry trees. We already had a tangerine tree which despite the sooty mold that attacked it last fall will be super productive this spring. We built 4 cinder block beds and another huge bed in front of the side yard fence. In these I have planted a plethora of veggies, fruit like veggies, herbs and other beneficials...mostly from seed because seeds are relatively inexpensive. So far we have eaten radishes...French breakfast and Easter egg varieties...bush beans and snow peas from the garden.

Edited to add...I almost forgot...we've also eaten dinosaur kale...aka Tuscan kale...which was so tender and wonderful...not baby sized but a mature leaf without the woody stem.

Oh and two blueberries which had darkened to blue to test how sweet they are when they first darken. There were two others that turned at about the same time...we're giving them a couple more days for our taste test to determine optimum picking time. 

My birthday is this week and I am contemplating dying my hair purple again...just because. 

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 2

I do like those!

My kitchen had all can lights.  I saw a conversion kit online somewhere that turns a can light into a pendant.  I bought one and used it for the light over my sink.  The kit screws into the light socket, has a cover to coverup the can light hole, and it hang down just fine.  If I get tired of it, I can put it back to a can light.  If I want to change the light cover, I can use any ones that I find.  It's a little thing, but fun.

• Like 1

Anita, we’re going to have to call you Farmer Anita!  Ambitious project you have going on, love to see pictures when everything is blooming 

Snowing again. Melody