All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie, I’m with Melody on visiting the ruins at Chacchoben from Costa Maya. If you can swing a private tour, you get there earlier before all the buses arrive, which is really nice. It’s quiet and you can get some really nice photos. Be aware that if the tram isn’t running, it is a long walk from the ship to the port area, but then the ship excursions meet right off the pier on the right side. If you are not on a ship excursion and do a private, it is a bit of a confusing walk to get outside the port area to where you can be picked up, but people have posted maps on how to do it, and we managed just fine. (We just exited and walked 7 mins down the road to the vendor’s place, where we met our driver).

We think CM will be our back-up port if we miss Grand Cayman on our next cruise. I am not sure what we would want to do there this time, but I would like to have a plan. My current thought is to take a taxi into town and get a snorkel boat from the beach out to the reef for an hour. I’m not up for a 3-hour extravaganza of snorkeling this time. 😊

My final comment about CM is that from reading here on the CC boards, several ships have used it as a backup for missed ports, and Cozumel too, so it might be good to have a reservation if there is an excursion you really want.

In Roatan we have twice been to West Bay Beach to snorkel. It is one of the best snorkel locations in the Caribbean because the MesoAmerican reef extends down that way. It’s a really pretty island for hiking I would think, but it is quite hilly, so be sure to do your research to make sure it’s not too strenuous for your current situation.

We have Nachi Cocum in our sights as well! 

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, laurspag said:

Hi Melody.  I'm bombarding you with questions, which I apologize for!  Sailing from Galveston is new to me.

My TA called, and she can book Harbor Hotel for one night.  Apparently, the only shuttle RCI offers is to the Holiday Inn, so I'd be on my own as far as transportation goes.

I got the amount from her as far as the hotel, shuttle and post cruise transfers.  I'm not sure I really want to stay there though, mostly because it is our first time to Galveston.  While I know we won't have time to explore and do much, I think it would be nice to stay at the Harbor Hotel. The location and area seem perfect.

They raise the price a bit for one night.  It isn't awful though, and sometimes you weigh it out.  I do need to make sure I am considering the cost of transportation though.  You indicated you used a limo service, correct?  Do you happen to have the name? 

I will check the boards here as well, just to see what info is floating around.  

Do not stay at that Holiday Inn!!!  It’s out in the middle of nowhere & you’d have to taxi to get to any restaurant. We used Galveston Limo. It was pricey but only the 4 of us, no other folks. Service was fabulous. We’ve used Galveston Express too. They charge per person but they’re very, very good. Book both on line. Harbor House is pricey, but you don’t need any transportation once you get to Galveston, none. 

feel free to email me at awhfy51@gmail.com if you wish too. Melody

Edited by awhfy

I wanted to share our balcony tea, which is one of the suite benefits we took advantage of twice on this cruise. (They serve full tea every sea day in one of the MDRs.) We ordered it for late afternoon on the day we were at Princess Cays, since we knew we would have a light lunch on the beach and then head back to the ship early. It was A LOT of food for two, but everything was delicious, and we had such beautiful weather that day for enjoying it outdoors. I ordered mint tea and DH had Earl Gray, iirc.

Scones with clotted cream:

TeaSconesm.JPG.9d6218e52c7f10cdfa9c687e30d3b879.JPG

Sandwiches:

We asked for no seafood, but tuna ok, and it was no problem. We had a perfect selection.

TeaSandsm.JPG.8838341b2cf8e335dba481d2e3033955.JPG

Desserts:

The red things were a creamy cakelike center with red gelee (?) and dark chocolate. Very yummy.

TeaDessertsm.JPG.347e56479b860523a59ac836baca8eba.JPG

TeaSpreadsm.JPG.28f7f0977eb1c8c55bf03743b623cbd5.JPG

Princess cruisers love their key lime pie. I had it for dessert one night and it is very good. The worst dessert I had was a carrot cake that was more like jello with carrot cake in it, and a super bland frosting. It was disgusting. I had the waiter take it away and bring me ice cream instead. Their ice cream is very good.

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MJC said:

I wanted to share our balcony tea, which is one of the suite benefits we took advantage of twice on this cruise. (They serve full tea every sea day in one of the MDRs.) We ordered it for late afternoon on the day we were at Princess Cays, since we knew we would have a light lunch on the beach and then head back to the ship early. It was A LOT of food for two, but everything was delicious, and we had such beautiful weather that day for enjoying it outdoors. I ordered mint tea and DH had Earl Gray, iirc.

Scones with clotted cream:

TeaSconesm.JPG.9d6218e52c7f10cdfa9c687e30d3b879.JPG

Sandwiches:

We asked for no seafood, but tuna ok, and it was no problem. We had a perfect selection.

TeaSandsm.JPG.8838341b2cf8e335dba481d2e3033955.JPG

Desserts:

The red things were a creamy cakelike center with red gelee (?) and dark chocolate. Very yummy.

TeaDessertsm.JPG.347e56479b860523a59ac836baca8eba.JPG

TeaSpreadsm.JPG.28f7f0977eb1c8c55bf03743b623cbd5.JPG

Princess cruisers love their key lime pie. I had it for dessert one night and it is very good. The worst dessert I had was a carrot cake that was more like jello with carrot cake in it, and a super bland frosting. It was disgusting. I had the waiter take it away and bring me ice cream instead. Their ice cream is very good.

I love afternoon tea on the balcony, so wonderfully decadent 

• Like 1

Melody, I will be in touch soon, but I contacted Galveston Limo, and they indicated they are running a shuttle bus too, which is cheap!  So I think have the hotel, transportation and cruise all situated.  I will likely reserve the shuttle this weekend.  Next up is airfare, but I feel so much better.  I had told my TA that it was funny that my cruise went down by about $30.00, and that I would watch it but I didn't want her to go through the extra work for that.  She checked and rebooked anyway, as it was a total of $42.00 but there was a larger onboard credit too.  She is really sweet.

RCI doesn't have afternoon tea, but that looks perfect.  I'd be all over that.  On the bigger ships, we usually stop down at the Royal Promenade where they have pizza, and there are always those little sandwiches and desserts there.  I guess it is do it yourself tea!  lol.  

Most our food was really good.  Our steaks at Chops were really tasty, but they were so skimpy on the sides that it looked rather...pathetic.  Seriously.  There were 4 pieces of wilted, undersized asparagus to share.  But everything else was really nice.

I' m feeling really excited about exploring new ports.  

• Like 1

Laurie, when are you sailing?  I’m thinking October?  You might be on Liberty’s final sailing out of Galveston. We loved Chops on Liberty, Giovanni’s was good & Sabor, best guacamole & margaritas ever!  We go up to Windjammer & get kemmelweck sandwiches & pastries & then get coffees & enjoy on our balcony

October 9th!

I have never been to Sabor.  Sounds like a little bar for snacks and drinks?  I keep thinking that a very long time ago, we were on Freedom with both of our girls, and we stopped somewhere and had a drink and some sort of snack such as this.  I just honestly don't remember for sure.  I will have to check that out!

I am familiar with the little roast beef sandwiches, as my husband loves them.  I always enjoy picking out something different when we stop down and get the mini sandwiches.  Sometimes, I will grab a waldorf salad cup or something like that too.

All this food talk is making me hungry, lol.  It's a good day to stay in, since the temp just went over zero a few minutes ago.  That being said, it is sunny, clear and calm.  It won't be on Monday.  I'm doing some house cleaning, bill paying, laundry, and catching some sports.  My husband is working the basketball game.  I almost went with him, but he has to go in so early, I would just be sitting around for a good three hours and it didn't make sense.  In warmer weather (meaning anything above 25 degrees) I would have wander down to Manny's for a new Syracuse sweatshirt, gotten coffee or whatever.  If I was with someone, then lunch and a beer at Faegan's.  😉  

While my husband is not feeling 100% right now, I do feel he is soooo much better than he was.  He is currently being weaned off of Prednisone, and they will try some other medicines at that point.  I feel that the weight loss and digestive issues that come with IBS were greatly worsened when they put him on Celebrex, and that was a part of his issues.  

I want to share with you some of my new dresses.  With this link here, the color I ordered was a clearance item, and is no longer available.  The color I got is called evergreen, I believe, and was around $80.00.  I was not sure it would work with the top area, but it did and I love it.  It needs to be dry cleaned and hemmed a little, but that is it.  (see previous post about dry cleaning it)

Betsy & Adam Women's Sleeveless Ruffle-Detail Gown & Reviews - Dresses - Women - Macy's (macys.com)

This is another one.  Looking at it, I was so-so.  It seemed a bit typical?  I don't know, I think I look for a certain amount of elegance that this didn't seem to have, but it was a good price and I decided to give it a try.  I was concerned also too that the color was more of an air color.  When I put it on, it fit perfectly and looked really nice.  It dusts the top of my sandals, so it is a fun length and needs absolutely no adjustments.  When I got these two dresses, there was a big sale and they let me use an additional discount and my star rewards.  I paid about $70.00 for it.  By the way, t was my husband's favorite.

Betsy & Adam B&A by Betsy and Adam Ruched Halter Gown & Reviews - Dresses - Women - Macy's (macys.com)

The last dress here, I'm posting from Macy's but it is not where I got it from.  It was too expensive so I shopped around and got it for much less.   The cabernet color has some warmth to it, but I am on the fence if we would call it earth.  I think that sometimes, we see an item that we really love, and I really loved this.  The shoulders have to be taken up and it will need to be hemmed.  It was the only item I felt that I had to really think about due to the cost. 

Dessy Collection V-Neck Open-Back Gown & Reviews - Dresses - Women - Macy's (macys.com)

There was another dress that I loved, but it was black so that was a flat out no.  I just saw it at a glance in a color called marine.  I didn't really think that was a good name to choose for the color, but I think you would love the color, Melody.  From a style perspective, I was drawn to it but I also know that wearing it, I would not like it on.  I am also set on dresses now.  The nice thing is if I lose some of the weight I am carrying right now, the dresses I have purchased are very easy to adjust.

My younger daughter is getting her master's degree in May.  She is excited and proud.  She has not been on a vacation in quite some time.  She spent a few days with a friend near Cape Cod a few years ago, but that was it.  Last week, she was trying on a few dresses she had, and talking about how she would love to wear them on a cruise some day.

It got me thinking that a short cruise out of Florida as a graduation gift would be so much fun for her.  We would likely need a four nice for her to get to wear one of her dresses.  It would be just me and her, as she is normally our dog sitter.  I know she would love it, but I think I would need to see if I could swing it first.  There would be cruise, airfare, hotel, transfers, and our seapass bill.   Maybe if I booked an outside room?  I haven't been without a balcony in years.  That is hard to imagine, lol.

It may seem like a big splurge for a graduation gift, but she deserves it.   Besides, we were thinking of planning a Disney trip with the older daughter and grandson in one or two years, so there would be something for each of them, you know?  We live once.  Just once.  I want to embrace that, without going crazy with spending.  I've never been to Disney and have always wanted to go. 

• Like 1

Love, love the second dress. You’ll be the best dressed on Liberty!  

on tge short cruise, do it. A 4-night isn’t too bad & with your Diamond discount a balcony is just about the same price as an Oceanview. Some good sales going on right now too with January wave season 

interesting that Celebrex is what threw your hubs into the IBS downward spiral. The thoracic surgeon that did my hiatal hernia felt that Celebrex had contributed to my issue. 

galveston Limo. Nice. Make sure you get their insurance (very cheap) cause otherwise you won’t get anything back if you need to cancel nor change. Hope you like Harbor House, we liked the convenience of it (did miss not having a hot tub tho)

Laurie, so glad to hear your DH is doing better. Slow and steady, right?

I like both of those dresses, and especially the idea of a green formal. So hard to find. I like the second one too but I have to stay away from anything wine/burgundy or it brings out the pink in my skin from rosacea.

Also, a four night cruise with your daughter is a lovely gift. It's not just the trip, it's also the time together. Very special.

Laurie, Sabor is a full service restaurant. Our daughter & SIL (who are Mexican food aficionados) said it was amazing. Try the jalapeño margarita. They fix the guacamole at tableside. 

We’re 85 days out from our Celebrity Reflection cruise. I just want to sit on my balcony with a nice glass of wine & some cheese & crackers & enjoy the ocean… Melody

Our cruise is two weeks from tomorrow and I haven't laid out anything to pack yet. For casual wear, I'm going to bring a lot of the things from last time.

Here are some photos from St. Thomas. Our snorkel didn't leave until noon so we had the morning to play on a mostly empty ship.

StTom07.JPG.a4d8d25a4c253ae75f86dac3bbacd913.JPG

StTom08.JPG.a51726b74e6b907a926645964cf165d2.JPG

StTom03.JPG.87777a1729a12c274e9b89df75358b2e.JPG

StTom02.JPG.d4c003dfe208028ecdc4a171fd700cb3.JPG

• Like 1

The main pool was almost completely deserted.

StTom01.JPG.3dfb210a74a9c2d060a00820c68d03e6.JPG

The Terrace Pool (aft) is one of our favorite places.

StTom04.JPG.23b51fe1da76b4aca6d262d49eaa3988.JPG

There are some very nice new seating areas on CB since we last sailed on her.

StTom05.JPG.4e2a07292e446dbd1e09b313dfd1c657.JPG

Forwardmost is The Sanctuary, an extra fee adults only area. The Lotus Pool is by the spa and is adults only too, but not just for The Sanctuary guests. I like it there when it's hot because you can find a shady spot.

StTom06.JPG.82f596dfac575e8fa27c5c5802582d23.JPG

The is a fourth pool similar in size to the main pool, but it doesn't have the movies and concerts on MUTS, or the Calypso band, so it is much quieter. Several times I was in that pool with only one or two other people. So spoiled now.

Edited by MJC

Love St Thomas, hoping our cruise there doesn’t get cancelled. We’re having lunch at a friend’s restaurant, Bumpas (best steak & cheese anywhere). Haven’t seen them in quite a few years. I understand that St Thomas changed their status again this week Melody 

We are doing good!  They projected a total of 9 inches for us.  We got about 4 inches overnight, and then some light rain.  It was sunny this morning.  It clouded up, started to snow, and we got about one more inch.  When it snows slow overnight, they are able to keep the roads nice and clear so we haven't really been impacted.

They are calling for more tonight, so we will see how that goes.  I think the strangest part is the temps.  On Friday and Saturday, it was below zero and then yesterday it warmed up to the mid 20s just like that.  It is still in the mid 20s right now too.

I'm just glad I had today off, just in case the roads were bad.  It also means I have vacation on the brain, if you know what I mean.  I've been going through our financial numbers as we are preparing for retirement, and just trying to organize and clean up.  I am thinking about our cruise from Galveston, and planning out a cruise with my daughter.  I am hoping my husband and I are able to do some things this year.  We put so much on the back burner due to work and household things, that we often don't enjoy simple pleasures such as going to a movie or a local baseball game.  I'm a huge Syracuse University basketball fan, and I still haven't gotten to a game!  

It's good to break up the monotony once in a while.

I know Anita has been refocusing a bit, and I hope all is well with her.  I think she has an Alaska trip she was planning out!

I think about Sally a lot too.  It has been quite a long time since we have heard from her

• Like 2

It has been quite some time since I have posted anything, but I have been reading along all along. Had some laptop issues signing in...my MacBook is SO. OLD. I'm on DS's old laptop (much much newer than mine) and now I can sign into the boards again...and post with a keyboard. I don't like posting with my phone or iPad.

I'm enjoying reading about the cruises...it sounds like everyone has had such a good time. I'm not quite ready to cruise again...not for any reason except that I'm looking forward to travel that is a bit less ocean focused (since I have such easy access now) and a bit more nature adventure focused.

So yes, we are going to Fairbanks in exactly 9 weeks! Crazy business...but DH and I are so looking forward to it. The trip is in honor of my 50th birthday. I will actually be in Fairbanks on my birthday. I had a big personal debate as to whether or not I really needed to do anything big for my birthday. Taking away all sentiment, it's really just another day...and I while I love the idea of celebration, travel just for the sake of travel didn't seem appealing. Travel is such a disruption to the everyday routine...which can be the wonderful thing about travel...unless you are like me and trying to maintain a good routine for health and fitness goals. Anyway, when I considered doing something to celebrate my birthday, I thought it should be something that I've wanted to do for a long time and use my birthday as the impetus to set aside time to do that thing...and that thing was to see the northern lights. 

It was a quick thought to Fairbanks from there as AK is still in the US...less hassle than international travel right now. I loved AK, and our cruise and land trip in the summer of 2018...hard to believe how much time has passed since that trip! DH and I have had a thought to visit AK during each season...so this is our spring time trip (just barely spring) but we had gone just barely during the summer before...so fitting.

We will have 6 full days in Fairbanks. We haven't ever just picked a city and stayed there for a week before. We have 3 excursions planned that are adventures. One day we go snow machining (which is the local way of saying what most of us call snow mobiling). One day we go to a family homestead where they raise and race Alaskan Huskies and the husband actually races in the Iditarod and the Yukon Quest. We'll get to go on a dog sled ride as both a passenger in the main sled...and on a standing tow along sled, where we get to practice standing behind the dog team without having to lead the dog team.

The big physical challenge with the dog sledding is the standing part. Apparantly it's something of a given that you will fall down. The team will stop for you but you have to be able to get yourself up and back to the team all on your own. The driver can't leave the team because they will be eager to get going again...they have to control the team. So you're under pressure to get up and get going again...no time to waste...no time for anyone to help you.

The last planned tour is for ice fishing. This will be more cushy than you might imagine as the fishing hole is in the floor of a heated fishing hut. We will get to be able to keep one fish that we catch each, and have that cooked up fresh for lunch. 

Then we have 3 days with nothing in particular scheduled in case we have to reschedule either the snow machining or the dog sledding due to inclement weather.

We have two times where we have planned to be somewhere to watch for the northern lights. The first is a local community center which is supposedly on a bit of a hill and having a panaramic view...away from city lights. From 10 pm to 2 am, we can use the center for an inside place to keep warm...they'll have hot cocoa and some munchies available as well as games and other means of diversion while waiting to see if the northern lights will appear. Then, like we did before, we have rented a public use cabin which we can use in the same way. On other nights, we'll be on our own, and there are plenty of local spots to go to, but usually you are relying on your vehicle as a place to be inside from the cold. 

Speaking of cold...I'm reading that we should be prepared for temperatures that vary from 30 degrees to -20 degrees...

Other items of interest include a combined automobile/fashion museum. An annual world ice sculpture competition. Locally minded nature and science museums. Several local vodka distilleries. Several local breweries. Some amazing sounding restaurants.

There are two restaurants in particular that I'm looking forward to. The first is called Soba and it serves authentic Moldovian and Eastern European food. The family that owns and runs the restaurant is from Moldova. I definitley want to hit up the downtown vodka distillery and then go eat there. The other restaurant I had already scoped out is Thai food, Lemongrass, I think. Anyway, this restaurant has two locations...the one in Fairbanks and another actually IN Thailand. Very excited about that one too.

We still have cold weather appropriate clothing and outerwear. I did take advantage of a major Lands End sale and ordered so many different gloves and mittens though. The last thing that I'm still needing are base layer bottoms. I have a couple, but they are more appropriate for an active day...not a sit around in the dark of the night and wait for the aurora borealis level of activity. I've been on a slimming cycle and so I've been waiting on ordering the bottoms...I can deal with loser than ideal tops, but that would be annoying in a bottom...as annoying as too tight. I'm thinking to order in about 3 weeks. 

Anyway...Fairbanks is the spring...we have also purchased airfare and rented a camper van for a fall trip to Glacier National Park in celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary which will be in July. This is all motivation for our health and fitness goals...

Speaking of health, Laurie, I've been so concerned over your DH's health. I hope you are able to learn what is happening with him...that feels like the worst, to have evidence of something not being right, but having a hard time figuring out what that is. 

Also...Laurie, I wanted to say. Mom and I went on a ladies cruise together. We were with other friends but we shared a stateroom. So many good memories of that cruise. It's something very special for a mother daughter relationship I think. It's not just about the cruise itself, it's about the time that you can spend together and all those memories.

• Like 1

Anita, your trip sounds like it will be wonderful.  You know what is funny?  When I was reading your comment about living near the ocean translating out to not necessarily feeling the need to cruise, I got to thinking that one of the reasons I have said Alaska will be a retirement cruise is that I'm in no hurry to go anywhere cold.  Like tomorrow's cold here is going to be -9 degrees.  

I do think where we live impacts where we wish to travel sometimes.  There isn't much water where I am, so maybe that is part of my enjoyment. 

You have such fun things planned out for Alaska. One thing I am realizing as I get older is that it is okay to enjoy those special birthdays, anniversaries and so forth.  Life is way too short.  I think of it as celebrating life in general, with the people I love.  

I went ahead and booked that cruise, and my daughter is so excited.  It ended up being a bit more than what I was expecting, but we are very excited.  It is 4 days out of Miami with stops at Cococay and Nassau.  Nassau isn't my favorite port, but we are going to look at the excursions and pick something out.

I am close to both of my daughters, so I really cherish this opportunity.  With my older daughter, we are hoping to go to Disney for about 4 days with my grandson in 2023.  I'm planning out a lot of fun things!

Margaret, you asked the other day about the storm, and i had mentioned that we didn't get too much snow.  They cancelled the storm warning and then issued a winter weather advisory for the evening.  That's when we got the snow!  Then it reached 40 yesterday.  Today was much colder, and it will be even colder yet tomorrow, as I already mentioned.  It has been a strange winter so far.

• Like 1

Hope those on the east coast stay safe with this snow (bomb cyclone) coming. My cousin lives on Cape Cod & they’re anticipating 2+’. We could really use some snow, we’re 18”-2’ behind normal. 

waiting for my surgical appt to fix my hand (arthritic thumb joint being removed). Hoping to get it done in next couple of weeks so I’ll be healed for our April cruise. Melody

Anita - I hope you have already booked the campsites for your trip to Glacier NP.  I did a quick peek at July and I'd say 98% are already taken!  

Clothes question (I know, coming from me, it's a shock):  It may be early, but I'm thinking of looking for a white/light blue short sleeveless dress to take with me on my France/Italy barge and land trip.   I'm going to be so many different places that no one would notice I'm wearing the same dress a bunch of times.   I'm just not feeling the love for my trusty little black travel dress.   I'm looking for above-the-knee and either all cotton or linen.  Wrinkles won't matter as I'll have access to an iron except on the barge.   I found one from Faherty online, but the price is waaaay too much I think.  any ideas now?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Anita - I hope you have already booked the campsites for your trip to Glacier NP.  I did a quick peek at July and I'd say 98% are already taken!  

Clothes question (I know, coming from me, it's a shock):  It may be early, but I'm thinking of looking for a white/light blue short sleeveless dress to take with me on my France/Italy barge and land trip.   I'm going to be so many different places that no one would notice I'm wearing the same dress a bunch of times.   I'm just not feeling the love for my trusty little black travel dress.   I'm looking for above-the-knee and either all cotton or linen.  Wrinkles won't matter as I'll have access to an iron except on the barge.   I found one from Faherty online, but the price is waaaay too much I think.  any ideas now?

Look at Athleta, a Santorini Thera dress is great for travel (get the tall tho, they’re kind of short). Not linen tho

20 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Kat...we can't make our reservations until March because our trip is in September. Our anniversary is in July, but we want to do a fall trip. We went to Grand Teton NP for our first anniversary (we were married in and lived in Loveland, CO for several years). We drove up there for our actual anniversary in July and some of the trails still required cramp ons and ice picks to cross. That was a multinight backpacking trip. This time, we have rented a classic, old school conversion van that has been fitted as a camper with a basic kitchen that is at the back where you can stand outside under an awning (pulled out but attached across the back on the roof rails) to cook etc. Our thoughts are to pick a couple camp grounds and have the van serve as a sort of home base while we will go out for at least one or two overnights in the backcountry. We're open to moving the van around so we can enjoy different areas of the park for day hikes and maybe have two different overnights in the backcountry. We just can't stand to NOT spend at least a couple nights in the wilderness, but at the same time, we are looking for some cushy breaks so that's why we have the "real bed" in a van and will break it all up. We may end up paying for a campground site while we also are paying for the back country.

Have you been? Do you have any recommendations? We're going to be arriving around 12:30 AM and we will have the van for that night. The van owner suggested Apgar campground for that first night since it is so large and is the closest one. But after that, we think we'd definitely move on. If you have experience at any of the campgrounds in Glacier I would love to hear it. 

We did go to Columbia Falls for Thanksgiving once. We were at a time share there at a golf resort. It rained the entire time we were there and finally we were like, well, gotta hike in the rain. We did a trail to Avalanche Lake. That's my experience with Glacier. We thought we would be back sooner since we lived in CO, but we moved out of CO in 99 and haven't been back since. That must have been 98?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, awhfy said:

Look at Athleta, a Santorini Thera dress is great for travel (get the tall tho, they’re kind of short). Not linen tho

I have one of their original Santorini dresses.  I'm looking outside the box a little.  I actually like short for the summer - I have a long torso but short legs so shorter actually looks better on me.  

The one I was thinking about (IF it goes on sale) looks really short on the model, but she's 5'9" and all legs.  I showed it to my French co-worker and she said it would be great for the hot, humid summer in the South of France.  I could spiff it up with my denin jacket at night, add jewelry or a scarf.  I was surprised when she said I could even wear my high-tops with it.   I've got time.  I'll probably buy and return many dresses.  I'd kind of like to be able to wear it also to some of the wedding events for my grand-niece.  It'll be hot and humid in Pennsylvania, too, in August.

• Like 1

Anita - ahhh.  Good that you know to keep a close eye on the reservations.gov page!  I have not yet been up to Glacier NP.  I always wanted to combine it with going up to Waterton NP, but it wasn't available the past 2 years with COVID and Canada closing the border.  It's a bit of a drive for me from Utah, so I'd have to find another place to stop at least for the night.

I've camped in Gran Teton - love it.  Always tried to get in at Lizard Creek, which is the northern most campground.  Makes a good drive going North to Yellowstone or South to Teton or Jackson.   Problem lately is that I think about it too late and there's nothing left.  

• Like 1