All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Melody...hope all goes well with your SW flights on Friday! Friday right? And that you have a wonderful cruise...especially the first timers in your group. I took a cruise with my parents when I was a teenager but my first "adult" cruise was out of Galveston on Royal. Are you flying in the day of embarkation? Or going in a day early?

How funny that both Laurie and Margaret are flying the day after Thanksgiving! Such fun!

I have to say that the colors of your patterned dresses Margaret look SO different on different screens. I'm on DS's old laptop so I can have a keyboard for posting...and the rusty red orange background dress especially looks so different. I LOVE all the patterns! The rust one would be okay on me too I think but the other two...not so much. Way too dramatic for me...I've been paying more attention to such things...what I grab from my wardrobe and I do tend to feel more comfortable wearing a lower contrast print...though the high contrast is what really catches my eye...I have to watch myself.

I don't understand how the black dress is more formal than the swing dress? I think that teal lace would be beautiful with a tux...and I think you look so good in blue. I can understand wanting the long sleeves though and not messing with a warmth layer over a sleeveless dress.

Good dress choices Laurie! I like all those...I think that's what I picked for liking best. Definitely don't take the shorts you don't feel good in. Get rid of those unless you need them for housework projects...I'm all about feeling good these days. Especially with something so simple and complex as clothing choices...wear what feels good...get rid of what doesn't.

I've made some new purchases...totally opposite of what's going on here. I ordered a pair of snow bibs. Inexpensive. Recommended by people in Alaska and Canada. Available in an EARTH color? SOLD. There is this color that is EVERYWHERE right now...I'm talking about "Cappucino" and these snow bibs are a version of it:

https://www.amazon.com/Arctix-Essential-Insulated-Overalls-X-Large/dp/B08PZ8777Y/ref=asc_df_B071FSPTRN?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80814163363318&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584413737160115&th=1&psc=1

My size wasn't in stock but it said it would be soon and let me buy them. Sizes and colors are all different prices...

I also ordered fleece jackets for a mid layer. I have fleece but not with a full zipper. I really like what I'm able to learn about the Kari Traa brand...and so I ordered 3 different jackets...2 were on clearance. This is this season's fleece (normal price)...the color is called Tweed.

622903_OLGA-FLEECE_TWEED_MODEL_1_Karitraa.jpg?sw=496&sh=618

I got this one because I think it will work great with the bibs:

See the source image

And this one also on clearance:

See the source image

I may not keep all the fleece jackets...we'll see.

• Like 1

Anita, I forgot to mention that I was looking online at Target at shorts and those ones that you have are available in brown.  It looks kind of like the cappuccino color you listed in the bibs.  I went ahead and ordered them.

High waist usually doesn't work well with me because I'm short waisted, but I'm finding so things that are fitting better in this style lately.

• Like 1

We leave TOMORROW morning on a 6am flight!!  It happens to be our SIL’s bday, lots to celebrate. We’ll get to Galveston mid afternoon (if everything is on time). Have reservations at Katie’s Seafood Kitchen, we’re all looking forward to fresh seafood (they have their own fishing boats at Katie’s). Saturday morning we’ll take our Binax Covid tests on line then wander The Strand. Likely go to Millers Seafood for lunch & ride one of the bicycle jitneys along the beach.  It’s Octoberfest weekend in Galveston & drum roll, The Beach Boys are playing in Galveston on Saturday night (yes, we have tickets!!!). We board Liberty on Sunday at noon. I’m so jazzed about this trip!  Packed way too much (candy & ducks to pass out for trick or treat to crew on board). Our luggage won’t weigh hardly anything coming home!!!  I may not have the best internet but will do pictures when we’re home. Melody

• Like 1

Anita, I was thinking about the fleece you posted.  While I have always enjoyed picking out outfits and so forth, I really find that in the winter, I love wearing fleece.  I have a few quarter zips from Eddie Bauer that I live in.  When we go out, it is usually a Saturday for lunch.  Otherwise, it is trips to the grocery store or work.  Work has its own clothing group.  So, long story short, I get a ton out of fleece! 

I really like the first one a lot.  I can envision myself wearing that.  I don't have full zip up fleece, but I was just thinking how great that would be to be able to wear it like a coat in the fall or on warmer winter days.

A note on he bib overalls:  When I went to the Amazon link, my Rakuten told me that it is currently available at Cabela''s.  While you may not have Rakuten to get 2% back (not a lot, I know) I think they may be a couple of dollars cheaper.  If you have Amazon Prime, you get free shipping so that is a consideration also.

I had a lot of fun adding some items to the walls in the den yesterday.  I have a few more things to hang.  After realizing how crammed the room was, I also realized that I have plenty of Red Sox stuff to create a whole room of it.  Once I get the rest of the stuff up, I'll take photos but I just wanted to warn you in advance so you aren't all disappointed...well, Melody won't be, lol.  She understands.  🙂  But I think you can easily see how it can be converted to someone else's taste.

I also had a bit of fun working on outfits again this morning!  I am going to see what the shorts look like from Target, and the other pair I ordered from Macy's before I figure everything out.  I was thinking too that when we arrive in Tampa, I will want to change my clothes so that is a thought as well. 

I don't know about you, but sometimes, I try to create a convertible travel outfit.  For example, if it isn't snowing, I may just wear a crops with a sleeveless top, sweater, and sneakers.   When I arrive, the sneakers come off as well as the sweater, and the sandals go on.  Of course, it will all depend on the weather here and in Tampa.  

Anita, the brown shorts - they definitely look earthy.  They seem kind of like a rusty brown?  I'm just anticipating what top I might want to wear with them.  The shorts from Macys are an ivory/sand type neutral.

I won't bore you with jewelry pictures, but I found it really easy and fun to figure it all out.  I just wanted to show you a few of the things for reference.  First is the blue and brown dress.  I have what I feel are just the right things for that.  The second is the bracelet for the gold dress.  As you can see, I was having a great deal of issues with the lighting today.  By the way, those ivory sandals are really comfy.

20211021_110324_resized.jpg

20211021_111045_resized.jpg

20211021_110318_resized.jpg

Laurie...I got those shorts in that kind of burnt sienna type color...if that's the color you got. Those shorts really work for me...I hope they work for you. They do tend to stretch a bit with wear, kind of how jeans do? So be aware of that. I like the flared thigh personally because too often shorts cut into my thighs, especially when I'm sitting down...and I find that annoying...so these have more room in the thigh and I appreciate that about them.

Fleece is so handy! But my fleece of late are vests and one pull over hoodie. I really want the zipper on a jacket. For the dog sledding...we've been warned to not wear anything that dangles (so wear what we used to call a neck gaiter (now called a buff) instead of a scarf and also not to wear anything fur or down filled because the animal association is strong with the dogs and they will "pay extra attention" to those things. So don't wear those things LOL. So fleece is the perfect mid layer...I also have a puffy down filled jacket that could be a good mid-layer. It's just from Uniqlo though...so I have to look up to see how warm it is really expected to be.

The first fleece is my favorite. My winter jacket is a winter white/cream kind of color with an olive green fleece and other lining. I think the combo of the "tweed" fleece and the jacket will look really good. I especially like that the zipper and trim is burgundy...I like shades of purple and green together. 

I get the travel outfit and the whole transformation because where you are is so different from where you will end up. We had that for a road trip one November from Kansas City to Dallas. We left overnight snow in Kansas City to a high in the 80s in Dallas...we just kept shedding layers as we drove south. We'll have the opposite issue in March going from Florida to Fairbanks. We have a stop in Seattle...I'm thinking about going to the Delta lounge there again (we did it when we took the AK cruise), taking a shower to just feel better and changing into more winter appropriate clothing there.

I like your jewelry selections...and the shoes. Looks very nice. I'm excited to see everyone's pics!

BTW...I forgot to mention that the blue in your den looks rich and lovely. A perfect color and I can imagine it set off so nicely with white. I think your decor should reflect you and your life and your interests and so having all the sports decor is very appropriate. We don't need to live in our homes the way we would stage our homes for selling. Staging for selling is all about getting a potential buyer to understand how they can use the spaces and rooms in your home. That's when you depersonalize your home so they can imagine themselves living there and not the seller living there. But we should all have a personal touch in our homes so that we get maximum enjoyment from living there while we do.

Arrived safely (& early into Houston. Great driver to Galveston. Two fabulous meals so far. All 4 of us tested negative. In the midst of a major thunderstorm right now (hope it blows itself out by tomorrow). We’re staying at Harbor House which is 400’ from the cruise terminal, fabulous location. We got some wonderful shots of two Carnival ships from our room this morning. Melody

18B7DE43-E799-4145-A730-9074F35A6B07.jpeg

• Like 2

Couldn't resist this top from CC:

https://www.coldwatercreek.com/misses/knit-tops-and-tees/mancos-mesa-knit-tee/19691.html?cgid=misses-knit-tops&dwvar_19691_color=0832&dwvar_19691_config=M#start=1&cgid=misses-knit-tops

Also, was at Kohl's on Friday and they have a lot of good EARTH items from tshirts to pants to athletic wear.

Edited by MJC

Anita - I really like the first two fleeces.  I could wear that first one for work.  I love the cammo pattern of the second one and it would be a good everyday fleece.  I'm pretty boring in my outerwear - it's all solid color.  I had a friend get married a few years ago up on top of a local ski resort: I ended up buying a nice festive printed parka to wear - some buy dresses to wear to weddings, I bought a parka.  I didn't wear it much after that as I felt it made me look like a tourist in my town.  

Calling neck gaitors "buffs" is now like calling all tissue paper "Kleenex" - it's turned into the generic name for all those gaitors.  Do you have one that is half fleece/half buff?  I have an entire bathroom drawer full of different gaitors - I wear them as headbands, head scarves, neck scarves...  so versatile!!  

• Like 1

Margaret, those are some great items!  I'm going to look at them again on my desktop tomorrow.  I see an order in my future.  😁

Speaking of orders, the shorts from Target came in.  I absolutely love them as far as style, color and fabric goes.  Sadly, they just don't fit me right.

I had a few shorts ordered from Macy's as well, which also came in.  One pair is good.  The other pair has a spot on them so I am returning them.  I have free shipping and returns with them so I think I may reorder them. 

That Coldwater Creek top fabric is so nice. That's a great low contrast print that I think would look fabulous on me! However, I'm not in the market for clothes right now...I'm not investing any more in this size...except what I might be purchasing for Fairbanks for March.

Kat, the fleece is nice enough. It's a good layering fleece in that it feels like thinner more stretchy fleece...not the thicker kind of more fuzzy fleece. It's not as pricy as some of the more popular outdoor brands and it doesn't have some of the construction features that would make it a more pricy item I guess. DH picked up a Sherpa fleece jacket on clearance a while back in Winston and it is VERY well constructed...but it is also THICK, heavier fleece. That first fleece looks great with my winter coat which is a winter white outer with an olive/army green lining.

I have whittled down my neck gaiter collection over the years. When we lived in CO, I used them more...but once we hit the more Southern states...I only kept two. One is an actual neck gaiter...wide fuzzy fleece (typical tube) and the other is more of a headband than a neck gaiter. I did buy a couple of wool knit hats in Winston. There was a man that actually knitted, or crocheted, them...he called them bonnets but they are all more beanie style, but I'm concerned that the knit may not be as warm as needed...they aren't lined. I'm debating making myself a bit of a fleece beanie that I could put my wool cap over for Fairbanks. I KNOW it's going to be cold...and I don't have any real way to test my clothing before going. Thoughts on the hats? The average high in Fairbanks in March is 25F...average low is -1F. What is your experience in colder weather will the whole hat situation?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

That Coldwater Creek top fabric is so nice. That's a great low contrast print that I think would look fabulous on me! However, I'm not in the market for clothes right now...I'm not investing any more in this size...except what I might be purchasing for Fairbanks for March.

Kat, the fleece is nice enough. It's a good layering fleece in that it feels like thinner more stretchy fleece...not the thicker kind of more fuzzy fleece. It's not as pricy as some of the more popular outdoor brands and it doesn't have some of the construction features that would make it a more pricy item I guess. DH picked up a Sherpa fleece jacket on clearance a while back in Winston and it is VERY well constructed...but it is also THICK, heavier fleece. That first fleece looks great with my winter coat which is a winter white outer with an olive/army green lining.

I have whittled down my neck gaiter collection over the years. When we lived in CO, I used them more...but once we hit the more Southern states...I only kept two. One is an actual neck gaiter...wide fuzzy fleece (typical tube) and the other is more of a headband than a neck gaiter. I did buy a couple of wool knit hats in Winston. There was a man that actually knitted, or crocheted, them...he called them bonnets but they are all more beanie style, but I'm concerned that the knit may not be as warm as needed...they aren't lined. I'm debating making myself a bit of a fleece beanie that I could put my wool cap over for Fairbanks. I KNOW it's going to be cold...and I don't have any real way to test my clothing before going. Thoughts on the hats? The average high in Fairbanks in March is 25F...average low is -1F. What is your experience in colder weather will the whole hat situation?

Not just for Alaska but make sure your ears are covered!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

On the hats:  25F isn't low enough for me to wear a hat😉    If the wind is blowing or if it's snowing, I have a plethora of beanies to choose from.  Traditional close fit with cuff, close fit without cuff but with pom pom, slouchy ones.  All of them can go over my ears so I never worry  about them.  If it's below 0F, I will wear a wool headband under the beanie.  I also have a really nice wool felt cowboy hat that has pull down earflaps that I wear often.  and, yes, I have one of those "Elmer fudd" hats with the flaps...  

• Like 1

I'm feeling enthused that wearing more formal dresses, or at least long dresses, will be something in my cruise future.  I am seeing a lot of people talk about seeing this on recent cruises.  While I don't plan to change anything about my current dress choices, it is nice to know for the future.

That brings me to this.  Remember the Lauren animal print dress I love?  Regular price is $260.00, and I've been watching it for a while.  It is now on sale, and I have Star Rewards to use.  I can get it for $162.00.  Should I jump?  I am thinking yes.  I can try it, and if  absolutely don't adore it and love it, I can return it.  I don't know if I can save $100.00 on this again unless it goes to clearance, and who knows what sizes will be available by then?

Hoping the other shorts I ordered come in, and that they fit well.  Anita, those Target shorts were such a great style, fabric and color for me.  The issue I had was not the high waist, although wasn't as good of a fit as I would like.  It was the legs.  I think what you loved about them was the opposite for me.  They seemed to create a bit of a flare.  The looseness wouldn't have bothered me in a different style.

I'm a bit disheartened that color choices aren't very big, but honestly, neutrals like khaki or sand work out well because I migrate towards bolder colored tops.  

Anita, I can imagine it can be hard to plan for your trip in a way, living in a warmer climate.  It's good that you currently have things you kept to help fill out the wardrobe a bit.  I always think way too far ahead, and while Alaska is at least 5 years out for me, I always ask myself what I will bring.  Mind you, I'm probably cruising there so I probably don't have to worry as much.  My ears are always the tricky part, because my hearing aid "squeals" if I press against it.  If I can adjust something correctly, then it still presses on the hearing aid, which is uncomfortable. I have found beanies aren't too bad because they tend to be looser.  I always wished I could toy with headwear more for winter.  My daughters are always wearing some sort of wintry hat, and they look so cute.

I just want to share a few more jewelry pictures for my dresses.  I have a lot of issues getting the colors t show right, so bear with me.  In some cases, I'm still trying to narrow down my choice of earrings or sandals.  I am not sure at all with the animal print dress what shoes I should wear.

I tend to go for simpler jewelry with a print, and bolder, statement type jewelry for solids.  I guess I don't like for them to compete?  I am finding that my new bone colored wedges go with most all of my casual dresses readily. Those just seem to create too much color contrast for the snake print.  Maybe.

The red dress doesn't look right all here, but I think the jewelry is what I had in mind for the photo.

20211021_110554_resized.jpg

20211021_110614_resized.jpg

20211021_110650_resized.jpg

20211021_110719_resized.jpg

20211021_111225_resized.jpg

20211021_111617_resized.jpg

@laurspag  Have you tried those ear covers that cover just your ears?  They are called EarBags.  My friend gave me some for Christmas last year & they work for me & my hearing aids.  They start out convex & when you put them on they 'snap' flat.  I can still wear a hat & my aids don't squeal.

Edited by 57redbird
more info
  • Like 1

I wear heels, but they are modest, for the most half.  The ones you see above are 2 1/2 inches, I think?  But I have had them a while and they are broken in.  You can certainly go with low heel or flat sandals.  I just make sure they go well with the dress.  There are a ton of blingy flats, if those are your thing.

I need to check EarBags out then!  

And I ordered the dress.  🙂  My husband said the same thing I was saying...I can always return it if it isn't exactly what I want, or I don't think it is worth the money.

Margaret, I'm not sure if you mentioned this and I've forgotten....what ship are you sailing on and what is your itinerary?

By the way, I had ordered that ivory one piece from Target, thinking it may work out well in the hot tub.  I wasn't wowed - while the coverage was good (always a concern with light colors) it essentially offered no support anywhere, so I felt a uncomfortable in it.  I returned it today, along with the shorts.

Ordering and returning things can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but I really don't want to keep anything unless I know I will definitely use it.   I'm trying hard to be a better shopper.  

• Like 1

We’re back home safely after a great time. We saw so many different styles of clothing on board. On the first formal night a guy in front of us tried to walk into the dining room in a ratty tshirt & gym shorts & flip flops, he was told to go change (the buffet isn’t open at dinner yet). He wasn’t pleased, turned around & here we are standing in dressy (not formal) clothing. He didn’t say anything, but looked embarrassed. Of course our SIL is 6’7” with very broad shoulders (he had on linen pants (with Hey Dude shoes) vest with long-sleeved shirt & tie) & my DH is very broad shouldered (he was in a sport coat, l/s shirt & tie, dress pants & Hey Dude shoes. They both just looked at him. The couple behind us were true formal, tux & long gown. He left & we didn’t see him at dining the rest of the week. 

469BD281-271D-4ABE-8BE9-240B1754B9FA.jpeg

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

The only real irritant on board Royal was the mask requirement (& many kids) everywhere unless you were in a vaxxed only area or were actively eating or drinking. We haven’t worn masks here since early spring tough getting used to it again (& smoking in the casino saved us lots of $$$)

Wow Melody it feels like you just left!  What a lovely family photo.

Lands End has a cool print called Burnt Caramel Leopard. You can search it on their website. I like this hat for winter:

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-fleece-winter-beanie-hat/id_338909?attributes=48484

They also have new designs in my favorite slippers (I have the cat ones), and they're currently on sale:

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-felt-animal-scuff-slippers/id_316032?attributes=48885

• Like 1

Here are two more formal dresses to consider. I've already eliminated the plum velvet one as probably being too warm for the Caribbean. Perhaps on a Christmas cruise, but I'm not in the mood for velvet yet. The other one I wore to a 25th Anniversary party several years ago. It's a bit generic but it fits well.

I'm also going to change out the blue and orange casual dress for a sleeveless blue button down dress that is just a lot more casual and comfy, and can be worn daytime or with a sweater, or with pants as a tunic. A lot more versatile.

dresses.thumb.jpg.4c966c72e52ddc5b4dc1d4da63e0a872.jpg

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1