Lunch on embarkation day

dvg1027

Hi,

My husband, parents and I are going on the Zuiderdam on March 18 through the Panama Canal.

We are all 2 star Mariner's although my DH and I will hit 3 star on this cruise, although I know we don't get any additional perks until the next cruise.

I heard that they do not offer the Mariner's luncheon any more on embarkation day. Besides the Lido is there anywhere else that is available to us for lunch? Don't know if it makes a difference but we have 2 Neptune suites.

My parents are 94 and 95 years young and the Mariner's luncheon was always a nice way to start the cruise with out it being too busy.

Also, do they still offer the luncheon at the end of the cruise for Mariner's? I forget what it was called but it was a sit down dinner and usually you got a gift. On the Eurodam it was a ceramic square with the picture of the Eurodam on it. Thanks!

On Embarkation Day, lunch 'may' be served in MDR. It will be served in Lido and at Dive-In which is the place for burgers.

There will be finger sandwiches and light fare offered in Neptune Lounge for Neptune and Pinnacle Suite guests.

Those are the choices.

Edited by sail7seas

They still have the Mariner's Brunch at the end of the cruise and they still present each Mariner with a Delft tile..... like the one you describe having gotten in the past.

The timing of the Mariner's Brunch and Reception may depend upon itinerary and ship. On the Prinsendam's Christmas/New Year's Cruise, this took place during the first half of the cruise. I was quite surprised at the timing. But, the event was very well done, the brunch served was very good, but only one glass of sparkling wine. Hmmm.

Edited by rkacruiser

Other dining options for lunch on Embarkation Day include the Taco Bar next to the indoor Lido pool (Deck 9) and the Explorations Cafe (small sandwiches) near the Crows Nest.

Recent reports here on CC have reported that the MDR is open for lunch for all passengers, not just Mariners.

Other dining options for lunch on Embarkation Day include the Taco Bar next to the indoor Lido pool (Deck 9) and the Explorations Cafe (small sandwiches) near the Crows Nest.

Recent reports here on CC have reported that the MDR is open for lunch for all passengers, not just Mariners.

Thank you for reminding us about the Explorations Cafe options. I regularly forget about it until I see it. Small sandwiches, fruit, pastries, cookies: all are available there at no cost. I do think many guests think that a purchase from the Cafe is needed in order to ask for one of the items.

There are so many repeat HAL passengers now, that some of the former Mariner perks just overwhelmed the system. See what your Neptune concierge can arrange for you. That is why they are there.

You get the perks of personal attention so this would be a good way to start asking for it. But often what they offer in the Neptune Lounge can be nicely enjoyed on your lovely spacious suite balcony and that may be enough for a light bite send-off with your complimentary bottle of bubbly.

Our favorite send off place is the Crows Nest and they offer hot appetizers during happy hour. May be a grazing day if you want to avoid the Lido, and there is no formal dining room option at that time.

So you won't starve that is for sure. Enjoy, sounds like you will have a wonderful time. HAL suites are a great way to enjoy the whole experience even more.

Actually there have been several reports saying the MDR was not open on embarkation. The two latest reports were on the world cruise and on retired mustangs report on the Oosterdam.

I believe that you can also order from the room service menu, not sure if there is a time that you have to wait for it to be available but I'm sure I've ordered room service for a sandwich while I unpacked quietly while DH ate at the Lido and took pictures :) Easier for me!

On our cruise last month on the Zuiderdam, the MDR was open for lunch on embarkation day. Hopefully, this will continue for those of us who prefer a more quiet setting.

From your lips to Hal ears :D. Good to hear.

Edited by cruz chic

Room service is available. Here's something that's worth a shot: go up to the Crow's Nest. Secure a table. Go to the phone near the bar and call room service. Tell them your cabin number, but also tell them to deliver it to the CN. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I always assumed room service was not available for lunch of embarkation day. Good to know I am wrong, because I really dislike the Lido on that day.

Glad to hear the MDR was open on embarkation day on the Zuiderdam, but again, this seems to vary from ship to ship, so we can't rely on it. The majority of reports recently have been that it is closed.

Room service is available. Here's something that's worth a shot: go up to the Crow's Nest. Secure a table. Go to the phone near the bar and call room service. Tell them your cabin number, but also tell them to deliver it to the CN. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I always assumed room service was not available for lunch of embarkation day. Good to know I am wrong, because I really dislike the Lido on that day.

Glad to hear the MDR was open on embarkation day on the Zuiderdam, but again, this seems to vary from ship to ship, so we can't rely on it. The majority of reports recently have been that it is closed.

i don't believe room service is available on embarkation day ??? At least not on the cruises I have been on.????

Yes it is available and has been on every one of my cruises, on 5 different ships, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam and Nieuw Amsterdam:) I love having my cruise start off with my Club Sandwich and a carafe of hot coffee from Room Service on my verandah:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

I for one really miss the MDR being closed on embarkment day. As I dislike the Lido I always feel it is a very bad start to a cruise when it is the main place to eat on the first day.

On our last cruise on Amsterdam the MDR was closed for embarkment day, Christmas (dinner, which in our area is always served in the afternoon) and New Year's Day (dinner, also served in the afternoon where we live) because we were in port both days though there was a lot of things closed for the holidays.

DH calls our last cruise "the hot dog cruise" because he says the best food they served on the ship was Nathan's Hot dogs at the Dive-in! When I was writing my review I asked him how he rated the food and he said. "Somewhere between bad to un-edible."

Maybe we didn't miss much by the MDR being closed that first day!

Actually there have been several reports saying the MDR was not open on embarkation. The two latest reports were on the world cruise and on retired mustangs report on the Oosterdam.

Not open on the Oosterdam in early Dec for our 11 day Caribbean cruise either.

The Mariner lunches on embarkation day have never been that crowded (IMO), so I doubt that is why they were discontinued. Perhaps HAL did this because they added the Welcome Aboard Mariner party around 2 PM, when most passengers could attend?

Not open on the Oosterdam in early Dec for our 11 day Caribbean cruise either.

The Mariner lunches on embarkation day have never been that crowded (IMO), so I doubt that is why they were discontinued. Perhaps HAL did this because they added the Welcome Aboard Mariner party around 2 PM, when most passengers could attend?

It's likely trying to get by with less staff. I couldn't even get up to that party last time. I didn't feel like walking up 7 or 8 flights of stairs although I do it on occasion. Getting an elevator was impossible. It's really disappointing that Hal is pretty much closing the MDR for lunch every day of the cruise now :(.

Hi,

My husband, parents and I are going on the Zuiderdam on March 18 through the Panama Canal.

We are all 2 star Mariner's although my DH and I will hit 3 star on this cruise, although I know we don't get any additional perks until the next cruise.

I heard that they do not offer the Mariner's luncheon any more on embarkation day. Besides the Lido is there anywhere else that is available to us for lunch? Don't know if it makes a difference but we have 2 Neptune suites.

My parents are 94 and 95 years young and the Mariner's luncheon was always a nice way to start the cruise with out it being too busy.

Also, do they still offer the luncheon at the end of the cruise for Mariner's? I forget what it was called but it was a sit down dinner and usually you got a gift. On the Eurodam it was a ceramic square with the picture of the Eurodam on it. Thanks!

Just returned from a B2B on the Zuiderdam and lunch in the MDR was not an option on embarkation day [emoji17].

Opinions and experiences are all over the place on room service on embarkation day - maybe someone has saved an On Location from that day and it might be referred to in there. But the more I think about it the more I am pretty sure it was not, on my cruises, because all crew are so busy with the usual turnaround day stuff. On the other hand.... if it is a segment of a cruise, those already on the ship would expect to continue to have room service. So there you have it, total confusion as always.:D