Going to New Caledonia without Visa on RCI

nix1016

Hi All,

I'm a first time cruiser going in March to New Caledonia and Vanuatu with Royal Caribbean. I'm going with a few friends who are Chinese nationals living in Australia holding Chinese passports. I've had a look and it seems that a visa is required for New Caledonia and the processing time is 4-5 weeks which is really cutting it now.

I'm not sure how strict RCI is with allowing boarding without a visa? The french embassy of Australia website (http://www.ambafrance-au.org/New-Caledonia-and-French-Polynesia) mentions that no visa is needed if you're not getting off the ship, but my worry is with RCI as they can deny boarding without visa. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice?

The travel agent who we booked through said that they would need visas regardless of whether they're staying on the ship or not at New Caledonia or their boarding may be denied. I called up RCI on the 1800 number and the rep said the same thing. However, when I mentioned that the french consulate website mentions that no visa is required if staying onboard the vessel, he said to bring that statement with us when boarding and it should be ok.

I guess my question is whether anyone's experienced this in the past and if so, whether they were able to board successfully or not? At this point we're just worried about boarding the ship and not really about visiting New Caledonia...

Thanks!

Hi All,

I'm a first time cruiser going in March to New Caledonia and Vanuatu with Royal Caribbean. I'm going with a few friends who are Chinese nationals living in Australia holding Chinese passports. I've had a look and it seems that a visa is required for New Caledonia and the processing time is 4-5 weeks which is really cutting it now.

I'm not sure how strict RCI is with allowing boarding without a visa? The french embassy of Australia website (http://www.ambafrance-au.org/New-Caledonia-and-French-Polynesia) mentions that no visa is needed if you're not getting off the ship, but my worry is with RCI as they can deny boarding without visa. Has anyone experienced this? Any advice?

The travel agent who we booked through said that they would need visas regardless of whether they're staying on the ship or not at New Caledonia or their boarding may be denied. I called up RCI on the 1800 number and the rep said the same thing. However, when I mentioned that the french consulate website mentions that no visa is required if staying onboard the vessel, he said to bring that statement with us when boarding and it should be ok.

I guess my question is whether anyone's experienced this in the past and if so, whether they were able to board successfully or not? At this point we're just worried about boarding the ship and not really about visiting New Caledonia...

Thanks!

not sure about your chinese friends but if you are an aussie or kiwi you dont need any visas for the South Pacific

Hi All,

The travel agent who we booked through said that they would need visas regardless of whether they're staying on the ship or not at New Caledonia or their boarding may be denied.

I think the lesson here, regardless of outcome, is to follow the advice of your travel agent. It's why you're paying them.

Hopefully it all works out, but your friends have certainly cut it close. I would be losing sleep at this point.

I think you may get some statements that some people have... but you won't be able to get a definitive statement - unless you can get something official.

And given how quickly things change, without an official statement, just because someone got on e.g. last month without issue, it doesn't mean that a different person at check-in will not stop you when you go.

For a similar example, I've heard some people get on without being asked for parental authority of children not their own. However, other people do get asked. And if you're the person asked, and you don't have the approval with you, saying that someone else got through without it isn't going to get you through (if anything, it'll probably make it harder!)

I'm a TA and I would go by your travel agents advice. They obviously know the ins and outs of your bookings.

Some cruise lines and visiting countries' immigration rules require the non Aus passport holders to have a visa (if required normally) regardless if they are planning on getting off the ship or not, as they are docked in that countries waters.

For example when transitting in the USA and remaining in the airport, a ESTA authorisation or visa is generally requires even if not leaving the airport, as you are in that country regardless.

Have you enquired about any urgent processing options? Can they be done quicker if lodged with the consulate direct?

I would just recommend you do go by your travel agents advice as they are the professionals and want to make sure you can all board the cruise without issue.

Edited by LuckiePuris

I'm a TA and I would go by your travel agents advice. They obviously know the ins and outs of your bookings.

Some cruise lines and visiting countries' immigration rules require the non Aus passport holders to have a visa (if required normally) regardless if they are planning on getting off the ship or not, as they are docked in that countries waters.

For example when transitting in the USA and remaining in the airport, a ESTA authorisation or visa is generally requires even if not leaving the airport, as you are in that country regardless.

Have you enquired about any urgent processing options? Can they be done quicker if lodged with the consulate direct?

I would just recommend you do go by your travel agents advice as they are the professionals and want to make sure you can all board the cruise without issue.

we booked a cruise years ago from a b&m shop and the poor girl must have come straight out of school because she didnt know what a guarantee booking was until i told her so some TA's dont know everything

we booked a cruise years ago from a b&m shop and the poor girl must have come straight out of school because she didnt know what a guarantee booking was until i told her so some TA's dont know everything

That can be true but why would they make it up. I would think the Cruise line would have notified the TA that it may be applicable.

That can be true but why would they make it up. I would think the Cruise line would have notified the TA that it may be applicable.

maybe the cruise line told the person it was a guarantee and they thought she must have known

Yeah, after contacting the TA, RCI and French Consulate, it seems that there's no definite answer on whether they'll be allowed boarding without a Visa. However, one good thing that came out of it is that the French consulate mentioned if we submit the applications this week, then they should be processed in time.

We've sent the applications and passports in, fingers crossed that they come back in time or there'd definitely be no boarding! :rolleyes:

Edited by nix1016

Yeah, after contacting the TA, RCI and French Consulate, it seems that there's no definite answer on whether they'll be allowed boarding without a Visa. However, one good thing that came out of it is that the French consulate mentioned if we submit the applications this week, then they should be processed in time.

We've sent the applications and passports in, fingers crossed that they come back in time or there'd definitely be no boarding! :rolleyes:

Is the French consulate in Melbourne? You list your location as Melbourne. Maybe you (or your friends) could pick up the passports/visas to save the day or two it would take for the to arrive by post. :)

Great result, I think it is the best decision. I am sure you will get them back in time if they have said so. Perhaps a follow up phone call next week to make sure they arrived and to see how it is going.:D

Unfortunately the consulate is in Sydney so we can only apply by post. We do have to send through an express platinum envelope with return address so it should arrive next business day once they post it.

Will be chasing up next week to make sure nothing goes wrong. Not complete safe until the passports are back before the cruise date! Guess we learnt our lessen with buying 'last minute' deals! :D

Unfortunately the consulate is in Sydney so we can only apply by post. We do have to send through an express platinum envelope with return address so it should arrive next business day once they post it.

Will be chasing up next week to make sure nothing goes wrong. Not complete safe until the passports are back before the cruise date! Guess we learnt our lessen with buying 'last minute' deals! :D

Hi nix

Can you please get your Chinese friends to ask, when they check in at the Australian cruise terminal, if they did need the visa to board the ship - and let us know. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Hi nix

Can you please get your Chinese friends to ask, when they check in at the Australian cruise terminal, if they did need the visa to board the ship - and let us know. Thanks!

Just came back from our cruise yesterday. We had to check in separately but from what my friends told me, the check in officer did not even look for the visa, she only looked at the passport info page briefly and that was it. So much for worrying over nothing! But at least we were able to get some sleep prior to going :D

Also for anyone wondering, the visa took around 2 and half weeks to arrive from the day it was sent in Melbourne.

Hi All,

I'm a first-time cruiser going in March to New Caledonia and Vanuatu with Royal Caribbean. I'm going with a few friends who are Chinese nationals living in Australia holding Chinese passports. I've had a look and it seems that a visa is required for New Caledonia and the processing time is 4-5 weeks which is really cutting it now.

Thanks!

Hi

Information for you and others who are day tourists to the islands.

If anyone are ships passengers

stopping at ports for one day NO VISA IS REQUIRED. ie FIJI, NOUMEA, ISLE OF PINES , MYSTERY ISLAND, NEW ZEALAND, CHAMPANE BAY etc.