Looks Like they are still trying to fool us

SeaGoingDAD

Ice cream analogy aside, the guest retains the right to alter the tips at their own discretion. This is not news and it is not a fact that Carnival attempts to hide in any way at all.

i fully agree the customer has the right to change their tips for any reason. i also have the right to call a 350 pound girl in a bikini or a 350 pound guy in a speedo on the lido deck a fat pig but i have the decency not to exercise that right. i simply think someone who changes their tips because the standards on a ship or cruise line change in a way they don't like and use the tip removal as revenge is a jerk.....to put it mildly.

A company reducing their standards being a great argument to make a tip mandatory?

no, people pulling tips over such trivial things is a great argument to make tips mandatory. this is simply the most recent excuse by the cheap people to pull their tips.

Edited by Computer Nerd

i fully agree the customer has the right to change their tips for any reason. i also have the right to call a 350 pound girl in a bikini or a 350 pound guy in a speedo on the lido deck a fat pig but i have the decency not to exercise that right. i simply think someone who changes their tips because the standards on a ship or cruise line change in a way they don't like and use the tip removal as revenge is a jerk.....to put it mildly.

no, people pulling tips over such trivial things is a great argument to make tips mandatory. this is simply the most recent excuse by the cheap people to pull their tips.

Let us know when you book your first Carnival cruise

I've never altered my tips and usually give extra to the steward. But when I read this, I thought if they're going to give half the service, my steward tip should be reduced in kind.

What if someone check NONE, don't you think they should have the right to remove most of their tip (except the last day)?

If it is really Carnivals intention to reduce the standards of service, why would they even have a Comfort Matters card that allows a guest to tailor the services they wish to receive? Aren't the two ideas in direct conflict with one another?

I don't see the conflict, they want to further reduce the number of stewards on board. If they can do it by removing a service customers choose not to receive by indicating as such on the card, I can see why it makes sense for them to do so. But given their past practices with this type of changes, sure seems like sooner or later both won't be a free option.

And what's next? Cards at the table to opt out of bread and water? Followed by opt in, followed by opt in for a charge, followed by something only suite guests get.

If the intent here was just to provide a new option, they could have simple left a card on the table that said "Service is provided twice a day, notify your steward if you'd like less. And by the way, the option for less has always existed: It's called a "Do not Disturb" sign.

Edited by nealstuber

I don't see the conflict, they want to further reduce the number of stewards on board. If they can do it by removing a service customers choose not to receive by indicating as such on the card, I can see why it makes sense for them to do so. But given their past practices with this type of changes, sure seems like sooner or later both won't be a free option.

And what's next? Cards at the table to opt out of bread and water? Followed by opt in, followed by opt in for a charge, followed by something only suite guests get.

If the intent here was just to provide a new option, they could have simple left a card on the table that said "Service is provided twice a day, notify your steward if you'd like less. And by the way, the option for less has always existed: It's called a "Do not Disturb" sign.

Yes the option for less has always existed but I found it quite convenient to go through the check list with Sugeng on the first day and let him know what our preferences were. He knew up front and didn't have to bother us if we forget to put the "Do not Disturb" sign out. Plus he made sure when he came in the evening to give us extra towels and keep an ice bucket full for us. I think it would be even more convenient if they allowed us to make those choices on-line like we do the twin/king beds and dining times. Then the room steward would know before we even boarded what our individual preferences were and have a digital record from the start.

Starting waiters make a base salary of $48.75 a month with a guarantee of $900 in tips. That's a whopping $1.60 a day plus tips. Be sure you leave your tips on. We wouldn't want Carnival to have to dip into their profits to cover your cheap a**.

I've never altered my tips and usually give extra to the steward. But when I read this, I thought if they're going to give half the service, my steward tip should be reduced in kind.

What if someone check NONE, don't you think they should have the right to remove most of their tip (except the last day)?

I love the idea of applying a sliding scale to adjusting the Daily Service Charge based on how much “service” I require because I have the discretion to do so.

I don’t need ice brought to my cabin twice a day (or at all): off goes $1

I don’t require “fresh” towels twice a day: there goes another $1

I don’t need a towel animal: deduct another $2

I actually make my own bed (yes, even on vacation): shave off $2

I don’t require three appetizers, two entrees and four desserts. Off goes $5.

I could go on but, by the conclusion of my list, they would end up owing ME money.

I guess I’m just a sucker for leaving the recommended service charge in place instead of asking for a refund because I didn’t have the same necessity to receive what the passenger next door did.

I think it would be even more convenient if they allowed us to make those choices on-line like we do the twin/king beds and dining times. Then the room steward would know before we even boarded what our individual preferences were and have a digital record from the start.

What a fantastic idea! That would really save some money printing forms and time for the steward having to make sure they see each guest on the first day. I think you ought to mention that on John's page!

Um, no. Why not? Because the "tips" (they are actually service fees) go to all manner of PEOPLE who work behind the scenes...some you never even see. Removing "most of their tip (except the last day)" in essence, punishes ALL the PEOPLE who receive a meager portion of those service charges.

I read an article once that talked about "over" tipping...basically it stated that for the giver, an extra $ or 2 really doesn't affect their pocketbook (when considering whatever it was that they purchased or received that warranted a "tip") but for the receiver it is a big deal, and DOES affect their pocketbook.

Bottom line, don't be a cheapskate. :cool:

For goodness sake, you're taking a trip on a cruise ship, an opportunity not afforded to a lot of people, with a lot of people involved in front and behind the scenes to make your trip a memorable and enjoyable one.

Be gracious, be courteous, and be thankful.

Um, no. Why not? Because the "tips" (they are actually service fees) go to all manner of PEOPLE who work behind the scenes...some you never even see. Removing "most of their tip (except the last day)" in essence, punishes ALL the PEOPLE who receive a meager portion of those service charges.

I read an article once that talked about "over" tipping...basically it stated that for the giver, an extra $ or 2 really doesn't affect their pocketbook (when considering whatever it was that they purchased or received that warranted a "tip") but for the receiver it is a big deal, and DOES affect their pocketbook.

For goodness sake, you're taking a trip on a cruise ship, an opportunity not afforded to a lot of people, with a lot of people involved in front and behind the scenes to make your trip a memorable and enjoyable one.

You a little confused. The steward portion of the tip only goes to the steward.

And if he's not servicing my room daily per my request, there would be no reason to pay him.

As stated by previous poster, I was only talking about the steward part of the tip if I elected to write in "none" from the steward.

I fly frequently, and there are porters at the local airport. I do use them, and I don't tip them.

If that's the way Carnival wants to go with this thing, that's there prerogative.

Similarly, Carnival is doing just fine as our the stewards who now have to service twice as many cabin half as often. If I choose to say I don't like it through my tipping and booking behaviors that's my choice.

Well now that you bumped it to the top it's potentially going to gather some steam. It today's topic on JH's Facebook page.

which part :confused: one versus two services for a cabin daily or pulling tips because someone wants revenge for not getting what they think they deserve.

which part :confused: one versus two services for a cabin daily or pulling tips because someone wants revenge for not getting what they think they deserve.

Just that someone forwarded the link.

Of course he didn't address the issue.

Do people here tip the same at Denny's as they do at Mortons? No way. Why not? Both people do the same job. So why do people in $500 Inside Cabins have to pay the same tip as those in $2000 balcony cabins? Proportionately speaking the inside cabin pays a much higher percentage in tips than the balcony cabin. This fact is always overlooked or dismissed. How come a cruise is one of the few places where a tip is fixed and not tied to the cost of the cruise or quality of the service?

If Carnival won't allow its staff to provide guests with the level of service that the guest expects, the staff are probably going to make less money over time. That's not revenge, that's just the way the world works. When they realize they can make more money with a different employer they will switch jobs. Or, for more or less the same money, the guest will go to a different line that better meets their needs.

I wonder if anyone on this thread is going to stand at guest services and try to listen in and start fights? Sure seems that way...

Let's propose to John Heald that tipping be 15% of the cabin price. That would seem to be more fair, no?

Edited by LMaxwell

On the Sunshine back in April, our steward never asked and there was no form , and we received service twice a day. Our steward did come to the room and introduce himself on embarkation day and asked if we had any special requests. We asked for extra pillows, which he returned with in ten minutes, and ice every day, which he filled our bucket every time he serviced room.

On the Sunshine back in April, our steward never asked and there was no form , and we received service twice a day. Our steward did come to the room and introduce himself on embarkation day and asked if we had any special requests. We asked for extra pillows, which he returned with in ten minutes, and ice every day, which he filled our bucket every time he serviced room.

Sunshine is not a pilot ship.

Do people here tip the same at Denny's as they do at Mortons? No way. Why not? Both people do the same job. So why do people in $500 Inside Cabins have to pay the same tip as those in $2000 balcony cabins? Proportionately speaking the inside cabin pays a much higher percentage in tips than the balcony cabin. This fact is always overlooked or dismissed. How come a cruise is one of the few places where a tip is fixed and not tied to the cost of the cruise or quality of the service?

If Carnival won't allow its staff to provide guests with the level of service that the guest expects, the staff are probably going to make less money over time. That's not revenge, that's just the way the world works. When they realize they can make more money with a different employer they will switch jobs. Or, for more or less the same money, the guest will go to a different line that better meets their needs.

I wonder if anyone on this thread is going to stand at guest services and try to listen in and start fights? Sure seems that way...

Let's propose to John Heald that tipping be 15% of the cabin price. That would seem to be more fair, no?

That's why I laugh every time someone suggests this. We had that at a high scale resort once. My tips for a two night stay was $150. people would suddenly stop worrying about what the help makes.

what would it matter if people can remove their tips as they see fit :confused:

That's why I laugh every time someone suggests this. We had that at a high scale resort once. My tips for a two night stay was $150. people would suddenly stop worrying about what the help makes.

There'd be a rush for 1A's that's for sure ;)

I was discussing with a family member that for an upcoming cruise my gratuity will be around $400, or about 20% of the cruise. They responded that they just paid $500 on a longer cruise in a suite. I said what was the percentage you paid? It was right at 10%. I said so if things were equal I'd pay $200 at 10%, or you'd pay $1000 at 20%, right?

what would it matter if people can remove their tips as they see fit :confused:

It is providing incentive for those working insides and oceanviews to work harder to move up to the higher priced cabins and earn more money. I think most people leave their tips in place.