Non-Flightseeing Scenic Excursions: Ketchikan, Juneau & Skagway?

3Fluffies

Hello all,

I'm sailing NCL's 7-day itinerary from Vancouver to Seward, with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.

Does anyone have thoughts on NCL's "Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer" excursion, or other excursions like it? This one is by boat, NOT flightseeing (I don't like small planes and helicopters), but I'm a little concerned that some reviews complain that the boat trip is 2 hours each way to Misty Fjords.

Has anyone done it? Is the boat trip itself reasonably scenic? I'm really looking for ways to just enjoy views of mountains and coves from ground (or water) level, with wildlife as a bonus.

Any other recommendations for NCL-sponsored or private tours that offer this kind of thing? Walking or mild hiking is okay, though I'm not in the best of shape for anything strenuous. Ziplining is also not my cup of tea.

We did that excursion a couple years ago and liked it so much that we're repeating it in May. The scenery is gorgeous! We are (amateur) photographers and were on the outside deck the entire trip.

When I get to my computer a little later, I will post a few pictures here. Or you can click on the Photos link in my signature and locate the NCL Sun 2013 album. Look for mist. :D

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

CMO: Was the water on that boat trip fairly calm? And the boat quite comfortable? Was it the kind of trip that one might easily get sea-sick on? Was it different enough from the sights you saw on the ship itself to make spending yet another 4 hours on a boat worth it? (As Tracy Arm certainly was for us.) Did you enjoy the trip to Misty Fjords as much as the Fjords itself? Or more perhaps? (I believe I read that the boat doesn't go very far into Misty, i.e. that one doesn't get much of a sense of the grandeur of the place?)

Hoping these questions will be useful for OP as well.

Thank you.

Edited by poss

CMO: Was the water on that boat trip fairly calm? And the boat quite comfortable? Was it the kind of trip that one might easily get sea-sick on? Was it different enough from the sights you saw on the ship itself to make spending yet another 4 hours on a boat worth it? (As Tracy Arm certainly was for us.) Did you enjoy the trip to Misty Fjords as much as the Fjords itself? Or more perhaps? (I believe I read that the boat doesn't go very far into Misty, i.e. that one doesn't get much of a sense of the grandeur of the place?)

Thank you.

This is a fairly sheltered area that isn't usually "rough", of course you are on water, so there is movement.

You pass right by a lot of this area with the cruise ship, so entirely "similar" . No it does not go very far and far less than flights. You miss significant drama of the fjords, compared to viewing from the air.

Hello all,

I'm sailing NCL's 7-day itinerary from Vancouver to Seward, with stops in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.

Does anyone have thoughts on NCL's "Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer" excursion, or other excursions like it? This one is by boat, NOT flightseeing (I don't like small planes and helicopters), but I'm a little concerned that some reviews complain that the boat trip is 2 hours each way to Misty Fjords.

Has anyone done it? Is the boat trip itself reasonably scenic? I'm really looking for ways to just enjoy views of mountains and coves from ground (or water) level, with wildlife as a bonus.

Any other recommendations for NCL-sponsored or private tours that offer this kind of thing? Walking or mild hiking is okay, though I'm not in the best of shape for anything strenuous. Ziplining is also not my cup of tea.

The jackpot, for varied wildlife, you need to consider is a boat trip to Kenai Fjords. Just excellent- with loads of wildlife and close up glacier viewing.

The jackpot, for varied wildlife, you need to consider is a boat trip to Kenai Fjords. Just excellent- with loads of wildlife and close up glacier viewing.

Do those leave from Seward?

I definitely get what you're saying about missing certain things by seeing sites from ground/water-level rather than the air, but I've now done two "flightseeing" trips, and the environment of a small plane and helicopter simply didn't agree with me. (Go figure - I'm mostly fine traveling by commercial planes.) I can watch videos shot from the air on TV all day and "ooh/aah" at the scenery, but actually being in the plane made me woozy and really uncomfortable.

Weirder still, I have done fine in small boats except in very rough water. So the Misty Fjords excursion looks good, provided there is actually a nice view of the shoreline/mountains during the 2-hour trip out and back (even if the climax is the fjord itself) so that it's not like taking a long, dull bus trip just for a half-hour experience.

Do those leave from Seward?

I definitely get what you're saying about missing certain things by seeing sites from ground/water-level rather than the air, but I've now done two "flightseeing" trips, and the environment of a small plane and helicopter simply didn't agree with me. (Go figure - I'm mostly fine traveling by commercial planes.) I can watch videos shot from the air on TV all day and "ooh/aah" at the scenery, but actually being in the plane made me woozy and really uncomfortable.

Weirder still, I have done fine in small boats except in very rough water. So the Misty Fjords excursion looks good, provided there is actually a nice view of the shoreline/mountains during the 2-hour trip out and back (even if the climax is the fjord itself) so that it's not like taking a long, dull bus trip just for a half-hour experience.

Yes Kenai Fjords is out of Seward.

Thank you.

poss, our cruise was very calm or we would have remembered it! We always take Meclazine prior to any small boat excursion, just in case. DH and I were talking about this excursion this morning, and neither of us can remember anything about the part of the trip to or from the Fjords. Although we spent most of our time on the outside decks, we do recall that the interior of the boat was warm and comfortable. Because you go right into the Fjords and cruise close to its walls, the view is totally different from any view you get from the cruise ship. I don't believe you can even see into the Fjords from the cruise ships, which pass by the opening leading into the Fjords.

I loved the Tracy Arm Excursion, too, but the excursion into the Misty Fjords is very different. There was no snow, no glacier at the end, just fog and beautiful, soaring, cliffs with foilage and trees growing right out of the rock faces.

Ketchikan%20Misty%20Bay5-S.jpg

Ketchikan%20Misty%20Bay3-S.jpg

Ketchikan%20Misty%20Bay7-S.jpg

IMG_1102-S.jpg

If you go, expect heavy mist, rain.

I have seen people on these small boat excursions bored out of their minds, never leaving the interior of the boat. I can't imagine being bored with nature of any kind.

Wonderfully helpful, CMO-- thank you!

I wish I knew more about the trip to and fro-- those four hours are of course way, way longer than the time at the Fjord itself. Budget Queen says that the ship passes much of what one sees on the boat trip, so I can imagine that the trip might be somewhat boring, though I agree with you that it's hard to imagine being bored with nature (also, we're much less interested in fauna than in the scenery). When we did the float plane into Misty Fjords, we found it breath-taking, almost other-worldly. But the flight was scary for me, so I'd rather not repeat it.

Btw, is Meclazine like Bonine? I've used the latter and it seems to work, at least most of the time.

Wonderfully helpful, CMO-- thank you!

I wish I knew more about the trip to and fro-- those four hours are of course way, way longer than the time at the Fjord itself. Budget Queen says that the ship passes much of what one sees on the boat trip, so I can imagine that the trip might be somewhat boring, though I agree with you that it's hard to imagine being bored with nature (also, we're much less interested in fauna than in the scenery). When we did the float plane into Misty Fjords, we found it breath-taking, almost other-worldly. But the flight was scary for me, so I'd rather not repeat it.

Btw, is Meclazine like Bonine? I've used the latter and it seems to work, at least most of the time.

I believe Meclezine and Bonine are the same drug, just one is generic of the other. (I was given that for dizziness symptoms during a sea day.)

Hmm, if the four-hour trip covers the same territory that the ship passes, that would be a vote against taking it (at least in my book).

When are both of you cruising? I'll be doing the excursion in very early May and will pay more attention to the times traveling to and from. I'll try to remember this thread snd come back with some info for you. Keep watching.

Remember that the ship doesn't go into the Fjords

We'll be cruising in mid-May, CMO (Regent Mariner). I know that the ship doesn't go into M. Fjord, but it seems to me that the actual fjord is only a small portion of the excursion.

You're very kind to respond, and I wish you a lovely cruise. My memory is that last May was lovely (most of the time) in Alaska, so I'm crossing fingers. We live in Florida now, and I've found that I tend to get cold even in moderate temperatures. Hopefully the weather gods will be kind.

Hello all,

I did this excursion a few years ago. Our trip was on a high-speed catamaran over rough water, at least half-mile from the "wilderness", not slowing to photograph a humpback whale, and indeed more than four hours on the boat. With the exception of a single rock protruding from the water and a whale spotting for which the boat would not stop, there is no scenery until you arrive at the Misty Fjords.

Once arriving at the Misty Fjords area, the photos were great.

The long boat ride truly detracted from my enjoyment of this excursion and I would not repeat it via boat..

p9220783.jpg

When are both of you cruising? I'll be doing the excursion in very early May and will pay more attention to the times traveling to and from. I'll try to remember this thread snd come back with some info for you. Keep watching.

Remember that the ship doesn't go into the Fjords

May 30-June 6 for me. I'd love a report!

May 30-June 6 for me. I'd love a report!
Okay, I've bookmarked this thread so I can return to it for a personal report. :)

In the meantime, have you reviewed the shore excursions area on NCL's website? That might provide some other useful opinions for you. You can also visit other cruise lines' websites and poke around.

Have fun with your planning!

Oh, I also loved the Kenai Fjords boat trip in Seward (we went with Major Marine; their lunch was fabulous). You will really see wildlife on that trip, as well as a glacier or two. I cannot recommend strongly enough that take your Meclizine/Bonine before that one. We're going again in 2017 (land trip only).

If you have more questions, email me: Cruise_More_Often at yahoo dot com.

Okay, I've bookmarked this thread so I can return to it for a personal report. :)

In the meantime, have you reviewed the shore excursions area on NCL's website? That might provide some other useful opinions for you. You can also visit other cruise lines' websites and poke around.

Have fun with your planning!

Oh, I also loved the Kenai Fjords boat trip in Seward (we went with Major Marine; their lunch was fabulous). You will really see wildlife on that trip, as well as a glacier or two. I cannot recommend strongly enough that take your Meclizine/Bonine before that one. We're going again in 2017 (land trip only).

If you have more questions, email me: Cruise_More_Often at yahoo dot com.

I've perused all of NCL's excursions, and oggling some on Ketchikan's website and Shore Trips, which was recommended by my travel agent. I hadn't seen Major Marine - I'll check theirs out.

My main contenders in Ketchikan have been the Misty Fords/Wilderness Explorer and the Wildlife Sanctuary/Totems/Nature Walk that Shore Trips offers. I've got three months to make up my mind! :-D

• 2 months later...

I attempted Misty Fjords by plane in 2007, on an early morning when the clouds were too low to go all the way into the fjords. I have been to Ketchikan 3 times since then, but wasn't willing to spend the money for another potentially disappointing flight.

I will be in Ketchikan twice in May 2017, and am interested in the Wilderness Explorer boat. I might even give Misty Fjords another chance by air. I would consider the boat + air combo - but the company that offered that was the one that had a fatal crash last year. My ship isn't offering it as an excursion - yet.

I did that excursion last year....I will not fly small planes up here unless I know the pilot....and I will NOT fly into Misty Fjords....I thought the boat ride was wonderful. I was on a huge catamaran....RT it is was about 120 miles of gorgeous scenery....they had 2 naturalists on board...The ride was very smooth...and when we were there, the weather closed down in about 60 seconds.....not for me....I don't see how the scenery could have been better...My husband is a pilot and he would not fly in there either unless he knew how many hours he had. Just my opinion....:) but back to the question, I am planning on doing it again this summer....I thought it was wonderful.