Magic number as to when to book your flights

Ashland

There have been several articles on this issue, if cheapest airfare is one's only consideration. A couple of other considerations:

Last year we book our flight on QA to Australia. They allow booking starting at 360 days out in lieu of the 330 day schedule of US carriers. They also did a large fare sale during that first 30 days. Premium Economy seats completely sold out for both legs of our trip by about day 345. Only full fare business and economy seats were left to be had. In economy, all the window and aisle seats were gone by Day 330 when the American Airlines (their uniworld partner) would start booking their flights! Not wanting to pay >7K for a business class seat, we jumped on a PE before they sold out, then booked out connecting AA flight later when they became available. That flight, on an Airbus 380, non stop from DFW to Sidney is 17 hours long. :eek: Waiting for the cheap seats would get someone an inside, mid section, seat in a 3-5-3 sit up.

In today's world of flying, especially internationally, waiting for the cheap seats will often mean sitting in a seat one may not enjoy. So, if your still young, or very short, it may be an option, otherwise, you get what you wait for!

According to some in the news today they have narrowed it down to....

"54" day out on average...interesting ;)

Ah, I love averages.

The cheapest day to book flight 1 was 72 days out.

The cheapest day to book flight 2 was 36 days out.

Thus, the average between the 2 is 54 days out. But in neither case was 54 days out the cheapest day to book...

A highly simplistic way of looking at it, but in essence the principle holds that 'averages' are virtually useless when dealing with the dynamic pricing used for airfares.

I know I know, the cheapest day will be next Monday since that only happens every four years that will throw out your law of averages!

But what time next Monday? That is the key issue.

Of course, I have been saying for years that next Monday I will celebrate my second year of retirement, as I retired Feb 29, 2008, and there has only been one Feb 29th since then.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I usually just check a few airlines +/- a day either way of the trip then just buy what fits. I don't quibble over prices too much. I once bought my ticket at the counter with an open return. It was in the neighborhood of every flight I've taken to the same destination.

It also depends on the routes. SLC -MIA/FLL, I have found to be the cheapest as soon as flights are released(generally 330 days out). Only $300 for RT. Others such as SLC to LAX I can find low up to 2-3 weeks out. It all depends on the flights that you are looking for.