Anthem: no holes in SeaPass cards?

skrapngal

really? Can someone confirm? and why not?

I love having it attached to lanyard. Guess I'll have to figure smth else out.

I thought I read that too, but have not confirmed it. Carol or Patti have been on Anthem and can confirm.

really? Can someone confirm? and why not?

I love having it attached to lanyard. Guess I'll have to figure smth else out.

The Anthem (and Quantum) sea pass cards use a different technology (RFID) than the cards on older ships. There's an antenna (maybe other electronics) in the card that could be damaged by a punched hole.

This has been discussed on a number of Anthem threads (e.g., the one linked below). One person reported that he or she had x-rayed a card to see where the antenna was, and concluded that it would be safe to punch a hole about an inch in, over the image of the North Star capsule. No idea whether that person was correct or not. (Going that far in, you'd need a really long clip at the end of a lanyard to get to that hole.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2285533

We like lanyards too, but we were fine without. We used the WOW bands, and kept our sea pass cards in a pocket (when we were wearing clothes with pockets). And of course you could use a clear plastic sleeve attached to a lanyard if you really want.

Edited by Turtles06

I thought I read that too, but have not confirmed it. Carol or Patti have been on Anthem and can confirm.

According to the last post of the link provided below http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48726249&postcount=25 you can punch a hole in the card, you just have to know the location so as not to damage the card that holds the technology that makes it work.

Would I do it? NO. If someone wants it on a lanyard, then use a lanyard with a plastic pouch to hold the card.

Edited by cruisenfever

According to the last post of the link provided below http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48726249&postcount=25 you can punch a hole in the card, you just have to know the location so as not to damage the card that holds the technology that makes it work.

Would I do it? NO. If someone wants it on a lanyard, then use a lanyard with a plastic pouch to hold the card.

I see, so the card must have an embedded chip. I guess I'll be bringing my RFID sleeve if I ever cruise on Anthem.;)

The Anthem (and Quantum) sea pass cards use a different technology (RFID) than the cards on older ships. There's an antenna (maybe other electronics) in the card that could be damaged by a punched hole.

This has been discussed on a number of Anthem threads (e.g., the one linked below). One person reported that he or she had x-rayed a card to see where the antenna was, and concluded that it would be safe to punch a hole about an inch in, over the image of the North Star capsule. No idea whether that person was correct or not. (Going that far in, you'd need a really long clip at the end of a lanyard to get to that hole.)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2285533

We like lanyards too, but we were fine without. We used the WOW bands, and kept our sea pass cards in a pocket (when we were wearing clothes with pockets). And of course you could use a clear plastic sleeve attached to a lanyard if you really want.

Yes, this is exactly what I was told when I asked for a hole. So I just used a lanyard with a plastic pouch. But the RFID issue is interesting... Could your card be compromised?

I have NOT been on Q-class with the RFID cards, but a I'm having a hard time correlating with some of the posts on this thread. I've done a number of cruises on RCI (I'm D+) and have NEVER been issued a SeaPass with a hole in it (I am over 21). I have had 3 cruises on Explorer and never was issued a SeaPass with a hole (but I have not cruises on Explorer out of Australia, so maybe they are doing things differently?). The standard non-RFID SeaPass requires that it NOT be within a card holder to actually be used in either doors or for charges, and I find it a minor pain to keep slipping in out and in the holder. Generally I go to Guest Services and get them to punch a hole in the non-RFID SeaPass in order to attach a lanyard; the card can stay attached to the lanyard and still be used for doors or charges. I have certainly heard that there is some sort of hole punched in cards for people under drinking age, but Guest Services presumably knows where to punch so that this is not a problem.

For Q-class it would seem that a work around if there is an issue with a lanyard hole in the SeaPass would be to use the RFID WOW wrist band - problem solved.

Thom

I believe the only information stored on those cards are your folio number and maybe something in order to open your cabin door (like swipe cards used in office buildings). There's no financial information stored on them (much like a hotel key card). We had the free WOW bands on Quantum, which were great for opening the cabin door. Now that Anthem is charging for them, we'll wear lanyards with a plastic sleeve or just keep the card in a pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, this is exactly what I was told when I asked for a hole. So I just used a lanyard with a plastic pouch. But the RFID issue is interesting... Could your card be compromised?

Anything these days can be compromised with the right equipment. You can build a smarter mousetrap, but their will always be a smarter mouse.

I believe the only information stored on those cards are your folio number and maybe something in order to open your cabin door (like swipe cards used in office buildings). There's no financial information stored on them (much like a hotel key card). We had the free WOW bands on Quantum, which were great for opening the cabin door. Now that Anthem is charging for them, we'll wear lanyards with a plastic sleeve or just keep the card in a pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you still have those WOW bands from Quantum? If so, you can bring them and they will reprogram them on Anthem at no charge.

Yes, you need either your WOW band or your SeaPass Card to Open the Door to your Cabin It will work the same way as it did on Quantum.

Since your Folio Number is stored on your SeaPass Card, there is more information there than you think. :)

I see, so the card must have an embedded chip. I guess I'll be bringing my RFID sleeve if I ever cruise on Anthem.;)

Let's not start any conspiracy theories. Yes, it does have an embedded chip (BTW, I'm the one mentioned above that x-rayed the card to confirm) but there's really no need to protect it with an RFID sleeve. If someone wanted to get or clone your card they could just do it on embarkation day with the card sitting outside your cabin for anyone to take/use.

While this only affects Anthem (and Quantum) for now, all new ships will likely have this form now on - Ovation and Harmony will.

If you want to use a lanyard, GS may not participate in the potential bricking of your card. But, if you get a cooperative person, simply punch in the middle of the Northstar capsule as mentioned before (or anywhere on the perimeter more than about 1/2 inch in -otherwise you cut the antenna).

Edited by Biker19

I never understood why the cards don't come with a hole in them already. It can be done as part of the manufacturing process when they stamp out cards anyway. They are missing out on selling a ton more RCI lanyards. My first stop when I board a ship is guest services to have them punch the hole. Well unless there is a bar on my way there then its the second stop.

It can be done as part of the manufacturing process when they stamp out cards anyway. They are missing out on selling a ton more RCI lanyards.

In regular use outside of the cruising world, these cards don't need a hole in them (people use badge holders (or RFID sleeves for sensitive ones) for them, not lanyards with a clip) - there's no reason any card stock maker would put a hole in them. Somehow, I don't see RCI making much money on lanyards.