What Royal Caribbean did to a dying cancer patient...

loislanee

Don't you people and Royal Caribbean have any compassion in your heart? Granted without the proper documentation they could not let him board the ship. It's a multibillion dollar company, to refund the gentleman's fare, due to the circumstances, would have been the right thing to do. I bet they piss away more than that on every ship, every day. Offering a future cruise credit to a dying man is a slap in the face.

The OP should definitely have advised the OP not only about proper Documentation to bring, but also to have proper trip insurance, including pre-existing conditions.

While I can understand everyone's disappointment but if he was not well-traveled and not in a condition/position to do all the research himself, one of the more traveled folks who was kind enough to organize the trip should have advised him. This is not a RC rule, but instead it is a federal law. How sad for this individual.

He says Royal Caribbean tried to work with him and eventually offered to book him on another cruise. But getting his doctor's approval to the cruise-line was a challenge, and now weeks later traveling is near impossible with his failing health.

So actually RCI tried. They should get some good News coverage about this.

I don't agree that Royal should have issued a refund.... otherwise everyone with a sad story would want a refund (car crash, sick children, illness, etc). Many of these are covered by insurance, but proper documentation is not. Knowing that the gentleman was not well traveled, the responsibility to make sure he was aware of the requirements falls on those that set up this trip. Who completed his online registration, it clearly says multiple times what documentation was required, so saying he was not told is incorrect.

OP is looking to defer the blame, which is pathetic considering they are experienced cruisers. Everyone that contributed should chip in the other half to go along with the credit that Royal is offering and send him on his trip. That would be the right thing to do to make this right, can't be talking about a lot of money considering the credit. Easier to blame the big bad company right?

Edited by babyblue78

I'm sure everyone here has compassion. Of course it would be a nice gesture to refund, but that's a bit of a slippery slope. Besides, how is it a slap in his face when, according to the OP, he didn't pay for his cruise? The Op and others chipped in for his cruise and only told him to take a drivers license. I have plenty of compassion but I'm not on board with your sentiments in this case.

If you listened to him, he would have gotten the money, if refunded, and spent it on a vacation that he could do. The slap in the face is based on them offering some credit that, because of failing health, he couldn't take advantage of. They could have offered him a world cruise, to really look like a hero, knowing he couldn't use it. Their offer was made so not everybody would think they were heartless, they knew the RCL cheerleaders would back them no matter what.

If you listened to him, he would have gotten the money, if refunded, and spent it on a vacation that he could do. The slap in the face is based on them offering some credit that, because of failing health, he couldn't take advantage of. They could have offered him a world cruise, to really look like a hero, knowing he couldn't use it. Their offer was made so not everybody would think they were heartless, they knew the RCL cheerleaders would back them no matter what.

There is no need for the lame cheerleader comments. The cruise line did not need to offer anything to this gentleman. He did not show up to the port with the documentation needed to board the ship, period. The people who bought this cruise for this gentleman should have made sure he had everything he needed to board the ship, they failed him, not the cruise line.

Do you normally go right to name calling when someone disagrees with you? :confused: That's a little odd.

But as for the "cheerleader" thing....it's been over a year since I cruised RCI and my last 4 cruises have been on other lines, soooooo.....

Respectfully disagree with you. RCI offered him a credit that he certainly could have used somewhere else for 2 nights, but he wanted everything back which he was not entitled to. They treated him like any other passenger that shows up without proper identification.

He arrived at the terminal to check in without proper identification and was denied boarding......BUT, he knew that he needed a tie to dine at the Captain's Table and he knew how much parking was going to be. Now, where did he get this information from??

RCI is very compassionate when it comes to a personal tragedy or illness that prevents someone from actually showing up at the port and taking a cruise and they will work with you to make alternate arrangements.

There is no need for the lame cheerleader comments. The cruise line did not need to offer anything to this gentleman. He did not show up to the port with the documentation needed to board the ship, period. The people who bought this cruise for this gentleman should have made sure he had everything he needed to board the ship, they failed him, not the cruise line.

I didn't say the cruise line did anything legally wrong. From what I read, they did offer a future cruise credit that he could never use. By being a compassionate company they could have done the morally right thing and returned his money. According to the story it was less than $2,000. That would have bought many times that amount in positive publicity, but they didn't. For you "RCL cheerleaders", it made no difference as they can do no wrong. What about the impact it might have had on the first time cruises or people on the fence about who to cruise with? If they lost, say two bookings because of this, they lost money.

As far as the lame cheerleader reference, I just call them as I see them.

If they lost, say two bookings because of this, they lost money.

I'm not sure if you noticed lately, RCI has had no problem filling ships at ever higher prices. They may have lost 100 bookings to this negative publicity, but that's the norm. I bet they lost a ton of bookings due to the Anthem Feb 6 sailing, but overall, they don't have to try to be "the nice guy" every time.

RCI has absolutely no say on who can get on the ship, none of the cruise lines do. It's a black and white issue. If the president of the company's wife showed up without proper documentation, she would not be permitted to board.

Very true, but they do have a say in what they do when someone cannot go.

The problem with your cheerleader reference is that every cruiseline (and airline) would have done the same thing, and everyone on this thread would have supported those cruiselines as well, even those they do not personally care for.

The cruiseline owes the passenger NOTHING. As a compassionate gesture, they offered the future cruise credit. They already went above and beyond, and whether or not the passenger can take them up on their generous offer has no bearing.

RCI has absolutely no say on who can get on the ship, none of the cruise lines do. It's a black and white issue. If the president of the company's wife showed up without proper documentation, she would not be permitted to board.

Bingo.

It is indeed sad that this person missed their cruise, but both the news reporter and the passenger should have directed their complaints at the US agency that restricts boarding - not the cruise line.

The negative premise in the original post is based on misinformation. Worth ignoring.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I didn't say the cruise line did anything legally wrong. From what I read, they did offer a future cruise credit that he could never use. By being a compassionate company they could have done the morally right thing and returned his money. According to the story it was less than $2,000. That would have bought many times that amount in positive publicity, but they didn't. For you "RCL cheerleaders", it made no difference as they can do no wrong. What about the impact it might have had on the first time cruises or people on the fence about who to cruise with? If they lost, say two bookings because of this, they lost money.

There would not have been any publicity if this man had been refunded his full cruise fare. He only contacted his friends in the news media when he could not get the cruise line to give him a full refund. If you actually read other threads in this forum you will see many instances of cruisers being refunded monies when they didn't have insurance, when their were deaths in the family, when people have been deployed and many other cases.

You can stoop to calling those who don't agree with you names but, as you, I see them like I see them too.

My wife recently passed away and we were booked with ncl and when i rang up to put the cruise on hold for 6 months they charged me £200 cancellation fee and £70 admin i have now told them to stick their cruise where the sun don't shine and booked one on rccl and one on with msc and when i told them my story they both upgraded me with drinks packages for my daughter and myself

Bingo.

It is indeed sad that this person missed their cruise, but both the news reporter and the passenger should have directed their complaints at the US agency that restricts boarding - not the cruise line.

The negative premise in the original post is based on misinformation. Worth ignoring.

Not only the US agency, but also those foreign countries he was about to visit that would not have accepted his DL as his only way of ID.

I have to say well travelled or not, but this man was about to leave his home Country and visit foreign countries thinking he could just do that with a DL?:eek::eek:

This is a heartbreaking story that is now getting media attention. Please avoid Royal Caribbean. I have sailed with them several times and usually loved them. But, when our friend Derek Kinner was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer, we chipped in to send him on his dream trip. He is not well-traveled and wasn't told to bring more than his driver's license, so he was not allowed to board. His health has quickly declined. Royal will not refund his money an only offered him 50% off on a future cruise, which he is too ill to do. His doctor verifies everything. Here is a television and news story on him. Please share. http://www.firstcoastnews.com/%E2%80%A6/man-dying-of-cance%E2%80%A6/57618972

#royalcaribbean #royalcaribbeaninternational

You claim you've been on Royal Caribbean several times and you didn't bother to tell someone who you knew was not well traveled that they need a birth certificate or passport? Did ANYBODY read the part that Royal Caribbean publishes about documentation needed ...

Passports, visas, transfers and more. Find out what documentation you'll need to get onboard and get your vacation underway. You can also learn about current passport requirements.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/home.do

Government regulations require that a guest present either a passport or government issued picture ID along with an original birth certificate. This is not just our requirement, but the U.S. Government's, so we cannot make any exceptions. Mr. Kinner received information on what documents he would need to travel in both his electronic documentation (edocs) and in the booking confirmation. Additionally, the Royal Caribbean International website has an entire page dedicated to "travel documentation.

Do you teach people to swim by just throwing them in the water?

Edited by Cuizer2

There would not have been any publicity if this man had been refunded his full cruise fare. He only contacted his friends in the news media when he could not get the cruise line to give him a full refund. If you actually read other threads in this forum you will see many instances of cruisers being refunded monies when they didn't have insurance, when their were deaths in the family, when people have been deployed and many other cases.

You can stoop to calling those who don't agree with you names but, as you, I see them like I see them too.

But those refunds were not because someone didn't have the correct documents, which ill or not, is really the bottom line here. If he had missed the cruise because he was hospitalized for his illness and couldn't go, or something similar, that might have a different result.

On any given week there are probably a number of passengers that get turned away from their cruise because of improper Identification.

Everyone of those people also have a background story that deserves special attention.

Nobody's story is more important than the others.

Why should he get a refund instead of all the others just because they stick him on the news?

Unbelievable.

Did you actually watch the linked news story?

How can RCCL NOT refund the guys money (lol- a whopping $1000) after that story came out?

Do they WANT to be known as the company that stiffs dying cancer patients for a few bucks?

No, RCCL didnt do anything wrong by not allowing him to board the ship without proper documentation- as its FED rules, not theirs.

But, after seeing his story be legitimized and played out in media- the fact that they stuck to their guns is beyond defensible.

Mid managers at RCCL (and other companies) break rules/policies ROUTINELY for good will, good PR, good customer accomodations etc....

The fact that they wont refund a dying cancer patients measly grand is absolutely shameful in my opinion.

Edited by KevinKruzer

On any given week there are probably a number of passengers that get turned away from their cruise because of improper Identification.

Everyone of those people also have a background story that deserves special attention.

Nobody's story is more important than the others.

Why should he get a refund instead of all the others just because they stick him on the news?

You are right that there are others who make mistakes with documentation and get turned away.......but RCCL likely bends over backwards (you know- good ole fashioned customer service) to ensure that they can book in the future (they like to have customers want to return).

Why should he get a refund instead of all the others? Really?

Because unlike all of the others who made a mistake, he won't be around to go on another cruise. He is DYING.

If you arent willing to make an exception and insist on playing hardball with a man who is dying from brain & lung cancer.....and for only 1 grand cash- I dont know what to say.....

Unbelievable.

Did you actually watch the linked news story?

How can RCCL NOT refund the guys money (lol- a whopping $1000) after that story came out?

Do they WANT to be known as the company that stiffs dying cancer patients for a few bucks?

No, RCCL didnt do anything wrong by not allowing him to board the ship without proper documentation- as its FED rules, not theirs.

But, after seeing his story be legitimized and played out in media- the fact that they stuck to their guns is beyond defensible.

Mid managers at RCCL (and other companies) break rules/policies ROUTINELY for good will, good PR, good customer accomodations etc....

The fact that they wont refund a dying cancer patients measly grand is absolutely shameful in my opinion.

You are right, it is a business decision. However, it is Royal Caribbean's business decision to make, not mine, not yours, not the passenger's and not the new media. Would I have refunded the money? Yes, but I don't work for Royal Caribbean.