• you may be able to visit Vancouver.
  • Alaskan mosquito's are Zika free
  • Alaska accepts US currency.
  • not as hot as the Caribbean
  • lots of sunshine in June!
  • bears? whales? salmon? Sarah Palin?
  • see the gold rush history on the White Pass train and perhaps Liarsville
  • Red Onion

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]CZzl0LOjRvY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

we have done 4 Alaskan cruises and have swam on board every time.

Alaska is stunningly beautiful, though IMHO, you have to get out of the touristy towns and out into the wilderness on excursions. If you like seeing bald eagles and whales, and glaciers, it's the best!

Alaska is a true destination.

It is beautiful to view from its Glaciers to its Rain Forests and has a lot of natural wildlife.

It offers a diverse set of activities and places to visit.

It is one of the most unique places in the world.

Go see it.

Explore and enjoy.

Keith

Aloha,

I'm going on my second Alaska cruise this year and I probably will try to go on it at least a few more times in my life. Alaska is unlike anything I've experienced before (I live in Honolulu, HI). For me, I can honestly say it was an eye opening and life changing experience. The raw and natural beauty of Alaska and surrounding areas is unparalleled. It all depends which ports you end up in that determines which great sites you can see. My top picks are Mendenhall Glacier near Juneau, Glacier Bay (determined by the cruise route/ship you take), Ceder Street in Ketchikan, and the Yukon. For swimming, you can use the outside pools as a lot of them are heated. On Norwegian, I use their thermal spa (it's an unlimited pass) and I LOVE it!

The weather is great and the company on board even better. Keep us all posted when you make your decision! Happy sailing :)

My husband did not want to go on our first Alaska trip - he likes warm weather, beach destinations with sunshine. Alaska is anything but that. It was a milestone birthday trip for me - I was definitely going on the trip, and told him it was OK if he didn't go, our adult daughter was waiting in the wings to join me, although I preferred to take the trip with him... He does like beautiful scenery and before the trip to Alaska, was just so so about wild animals. He ended up going, and loved the trip so much, we've been back multiple times as a land vacation and various cruises. Alaska may not be for everyone, but anyone who likes stunning scenery, wild animals, and the outdoors will be come adicted to Alaska...

If you want to sell your husband on Alaska, you have to pitch those things that will interest him. Fishing? Whale watching? ice trekking on a glacier? heli sled dog trip? Bear viewing ?( if so be mindful timeframes for successful viewing).

Look thru some trip reports (in Stickys above). There are some lovely photo journals with lots of great photos of excursions, sights, activities, life onboard. Use those journals to highlight interests you know he will enjoy on a trip to Alaska.

There are books specific to Alaska cruises ... borrow them from your library. Ann Vipond has Alaska by cruiseship and Fodor has Alaska Ports of call. Both books discuss itineraries, ports, activities, etc

Do your research so you are able to pitch those things that will interest him at each port. And consider a one-way with a week of independent land travel.

I am thinking of going on a cruise to Alaska, but I have to sale it to my husband first. What are the highlights, your best experience, and can we swim in the ship or is it too cold? Thanks

Highlights? Well "scenery" is an easy answer. Watching for whales off the deck of the ship. Seeing dolphins riding the wake. Meeting people you would never meet, in a million years, in your day to day life (e.g., the Tsimshian guide at the Totem Heritage Center in Ketchikan, who took me under her wing when I started asking about after-hours experiences she may have had at the Center, with the totem poles....).

Best experience? EVERY time I have been to Alaska, I have had life-altering revelations. Getting away from normal life, the noise/stress/busy-ness, has given (pick one or more)

- God

- the universe

- my subconscious

the opportunity to bring me answers. Some of those answers I didn't even know I needed

Less metaphysical "best experience"? On an otter quest, a humpback surfacing/blowing WAY closer than I ever expected. :eek: :D The Tsimshian guide I mentioned above. Looking over the side of the ship and realizing that "wow, that's a big fish" was really an orca. Seeing more or less midnight sun near Anchorage. Seeing "real Alaska life" in Kodiak with an interaction between us, the police, and the manager of a liquor store. Meeting a tug captain, his wife, and their dog......

Obviously my bests aren't everyone's ;) but you asked.

The view from the ship alone is stunning. In the Caribbean, you basically see nothing but ocean until you are right on top of a port. In Alaska, there is gorgeous scenery the entire time. It does seem odd at first to cruise somewhere that is "cold," but I don't think I've ever seen anyone that ever said going to Alaska was a mistake. They may complain about a particular cruise line or ship, but no one complains about the destination! It's a beautiful breath of fresh air that you really can't get anywhere else.

I am thinking of going on a cruise to Alaska, but I have to sale it to my husband first. What are the highlights, your best experience, and can we swim in the ship or is it too cold? Thanks

There were swimmers on our AK cruise.

The scenery!

Alaska is really something special. There's a feeling there you just have to experience first hand. It's so unspoiled and magnificent. It's some place everyone should see at least once! Plus I think there's something for everyone to enjoy.

Alaska is unlike any cruise you will ever experience. Numerous people have already described what it's like and they're all correct. You can do Alaska 20 times and each time it'll be different. I have done it twice and I'm about to go a third time in about 11 weeks.

While most warm weather cruises are generally about lounging and sunning by the pool, Alaska is all about the wildlife that surrounds you. If you have a balcony cabin, I guarantee you'll be sitting on it more than you ever thought possible with camera and binoculars in hand. At any given moment you could see a moose or bear on shore, or you can see whale pop up out of the ocean for a breath of air. I've also seen a pod of Dall's porpoises playing in the wake of the ship and hundreds of sea lions lounging on an ice flow near Sawyer Glacier.

The weather is VERY unpredictable. In one day it went from rainy and in the 40's to sunny and in the upper-60's. This was during August in Sjagway & Haines. On the same cruise we experienced low 30's (we wear sailing near Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord) to mid-70's (Juneau). So you can swim while on board, but head for the indoor pool if one is available! ;)

One of the best things about an Alaskan cruise is that it's a little more relaxed. No party atmosphere. It feels quieter and more serene.

So would I recommend an Alaskan cruise? Oh yes. :) Go. You will NOT regret it.

If you have to sell it to him, it might not be the best cruise to choose.

For us, first trip Sitka was important to me to see the Russian History, where the first US flag was raised once we acquired Alaska from Russia. Raptor Center and now the Bear Center too. Small quaint Alaskan town.

Second trip included Skagway, the WhitePass Rail Road up into the Yukon for the gold history of Alaska and the Yukon.

Then Denali to see the wildlife and the highest mountain in North America (Mt. McKinley).

Everyone has different reasons for loving Alaska as you see by the different posts. Head to the library and check out Frommer's or Fodor's Alaska guide books. Show them to your husband, and if he still has no interest, I don't think it wise to try and sell him on it.

I have been to the Caribbean twice and that was quite enough for me, have no wish to cruise there again, but I don't do water sports, and the ship is just my hotel and mode of transportation. I don't swim or participate in many on-board events.

Thank goodness there are many travel options to please all of us!