Attn: Anthem January 25th, 2016 sailing passengers

bren61

RCI shafted these people; especially compared to the compensation that was offered on subsequent sailings of the same ship.

Look at the current Noro/Beat the storm cruise. 50% off future cruises and two days refunded. Those on Jan 25 got $200 which didn't cover the cost of missed days.

They certainly were shafted and this isn't the only time that Royal compensated different sailings differently.

Remember last years Freedom cruises with her damaged propellor. Some cruises received nothing and had itinerary changes while ours was lucky enough to receive a $400 OBC per stateroom and all we had were a few shortened port times.

It almost seems as if different people are determining compensation amounts instead of one person or team in order to ensure consistency.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

So I take it you didn't read your cruise contract where it says RCI can change itineraries and even change ships for your sailing without prior notification and without any recompense.

With all due respect, that's not the point. I think most are aware of the contract.

All the cruises leave under the same contract.

The sore point here is that some cruises get well compensated for their inconvenience, and others, not so much.

It gives the appearance of the big wigs in the corporate office spinning "The Big Wheel Of Compensation" to decide who gets what.

THAT is the bone of contention here.

We are also Diamonds, and have cancelled our next cruise that was booked with RCI.

Just my .02

I also called Corporate Guest Services a few hours ago with no success. The rep explained me that other cruises got their compensations for "service failure", and we did not have any. Change of itinerary was done for "our safety". But as I remember, they said that itinerary changed according to passengers vote, not safety. May be we can write to Christopher Elliott, who writes the Travel Troubleshooter column and often helps people get refunds (or tells them why they can't). His website is http://elliott.org/, and you can write him at elliottc@gmail.com.

Whether or not it was deemed a "service failure" your cruise was shortened by a day. At a minimum you should have received 1/12 of your cruise refunded based on what was paid for each cabin. The OBC that they gave you would have been as a goodwill gesture for switching ports.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Whether or not it was deemed a "service failure" your cruise was shortened by a day. At a minimum you should have received 1/12 of your cruise refunded based on what was paid for each cabin. The OBC that they gave you would have been as a goodwill gesture for switching ports.

Yes, we were specifically and directly told that the OBC was a "goodwill gesture" and NOT compensation for the lost day.

With all due respect, that's not the point. I think most are aware of the contract.

All the cruises leave under the same contract.

The sore point here is that some cruises get well compensated for their inconvenience, and others, not so much.

It gives the appearance of the big wigs in the corporate office spinning "The Big Wheel Of Compensation" to decide who gets what.

THAT is the bone of contention here.

We are also Diamonds, and have cancelled our next cruise that was booked with RCI.

Just my .02

This Cruise on Jan. 25th and the way Royal Caribbean treated us with misinformation has left a bitter taste...... And their excuse for completely changing the itinerary: "For our Safety"? Is unacceptable!

If they continue to Stone Wall the requests for fair compensation, it is also Bye Bye Royal Caribbean for us, as well. (Diamond Members also)

So I take it you didn't read your cruise contract where it says RCI can change itineraries and even change ships for your sailing without prior notification and without any recompense.

Yes, I did read it and wouldn't have had a problem with the itinerary change if it was justified, but there was no reason we couldn't have skipped a couple of ports and continued on with our itinerary, our ship was already scheduled to be at them anyway. My issue is we should have received what we actually paid for our cabin for the lost day (we had 3 paying passengers in our cabin) and they only based it on the cabin, so ones that had 2 in their cabin got the same as we did. When I spoke to Miami's guest relations today, she said the cruise that is coming back had a cruise interruption of 2 days and I informed her that ours was interrupted by one day so what's the difference and at least they got to go to most of their ports. So you fully compensate them for 2 days plus 50% & then compensate us for not even 1 with no %, that's just not right. Had they not done that for the other cruises, I wouldn't have been quite as mad, but this is ridiculous, we should have been offered something that we could have booked another Western itinerary and they still would have made out and kept their customers, now as it stands we are moving on to another line as are many others.

Kind of funny, she kept saying on the phone how important we and other Crown & Anchor members are to them and they hope that we continue sailing with them, and I said well why are you not doing for our cruise as you did the others and make things right so we all will continue with you, and all she kept saying was that the cruises were different circumstances.

This Cruise on Jan. 25th and the way Royal Caribbean treated us with misinformation has left a bitter taste...... And their excuse for completely changing the itinerary: "For our Safety"? Is unacceptable!

If they continue to Stone Wall the requests for fair compensation, it is also Bye Bye Royal Caribbean for us, as well. (Diamond Members also)

Very sorry and sad to read these kinds of posts.

This was posted from someone on our cruise that did a B2B, which I really feel bad for them having to go to the same ports twice, although they did get a 15% FCC for their inconvience.

To those fellow cruisers who are still reading our Roll Call thread:

I was asked to explain on another thread "why are the january 25 cruisers so upset about the current cruise?"

I wrote this response, and would welcome any comments as to whether I have written accurately:

I was on B2B, January 15 & January 25 cruises.

On the first cruise, there were very stormy seas going down. (of course, we had no idea what she would have to go through just 3 weeks later!) Lots of stuff flying off the counters and breaking. (we only lost wine glasses, not the wine, thank god! )

Then when we were down in the Caribbean, more storms were brewing on the Atlantic coast. So we "hung around" between Florida and the Bahamas for an extra day, delaying our return to Cape Liberty for a day.

That cruise got an extra day, and the next one lost a day. (of course, I still got 22 days, just 11 + 11 instead of 10 + 12) However, because of the lost day and thus a change of days (everything out of sync by a day), Royal Caribbean decided to completely change the itinerary.

The January 15 cruise was 10 nights Eastern Caribbean.

San Juan

St. Thomas

St. Martin

St. Kitts

The January 25 cruise was (supposed to be) 12 nights WESTERN Caribbean.

Labadee

Falmouth, Jamaica

Grand Cayman

Costa Maya, Mexico

Roatan, Honduras

Cozumel

This was only the second time that there was a western Caribbean out of New Jersey (she had done this in November)

A HUGE number of passengers had chosen this cruise specifically for the western itinerary.

What did RC change it to?

EASTERN

St. Kitts

St. Martin

St. Thomas

San Juan

Labadee

Look familiar? Yep, same itinerary we had just done.

So, to recap: January 25 cruisers lost one day of their cruise and had all of the ports changed. (we had some normally rough seas, too)

The only "compensation" was $200 OBC per cabin interior & oceanview, $300 balcony, and (I think) $400 suite.

Not per person. Per cabin. Not nearly enough to make most people "whole" from a lost day of cruise. Plus the complete change in itinerary, which some people did not know about until arriving at the terminal on January 26. RC's communication, as usual, was not good.

Now, being on board and having many conversations with assorted officers, I understood the reasons for the changes. They were reasonable changes, all of them, under the circumstances.

But people were LIVID.

But the salt in the wound is the generous compensation being given to the cruise currently on its way home.

What is happening to those people? Two lost days. No change in itinerary. One lost port. (and it may have been Nassau! ) Small noro outbreak.

What are those people getting? Full refund of whatever they paid for two days of their cruise plus a 50% FCC.

See the inequity?

It almost seems as if different people are determining compensation amounts instead of one person or team in order to ensure consistency.

I think that is a key here. If people were compensated in consistent and fair manners you would not have so many upset people.

Why does shortened cruise A not deserve to have a per diem refund when shortened cruise B is receiving a per diem refund?

Why does shortened cruise A not receive any future cruise credit when cruise B received 50% cruise credit.

Why did cruise A completely alter itinerary instead of dropping one port of call? With only a 1 day delay they could have still made the rest of their scheduled ports of call and docking times with the removal of one port. This is a mystery to me. Did anyone ever receive an explanation relating to this?

Cruise A was shortened by weather.

Cruise B was shortened by weather (so they say).

I think it boils down to inconsistent application of management when choosing to go beyond their own policies. The non-refund of a per diem charge per pax for a shortened cruise is the ultimate insult, IMO. More so than a future cruise credit or any onboard credits. That right there is a big middle finger from the company to guests and it should make everyone pause with concern for a moment. A per diem refund for missed days is a very fundamental thing.

That 200 was for those of us in outside rooms. It varied depending on cabin type. We didnt get shafted. Those who came after us had major inconvenience. We lost a day and itinerary was changed but my husband and I had a fabulous cruise.

Well I'm glad you had a wonderful cruise and that you didn't get shafted, but thousands of others did! Maybe $$$ is no factor for you, maybe you haven't been to some of the Eastern ports and didn't mind going there. Some people work very hard and save for years to be able to go somewhere they have always wanted to go and for that all to be changed is very upsetting. I could have been understanding with a 2 or even 3 port change and continued on with our itinerary hitting the last 3-4 ports, but it was an UNNECESSARY complete itinerary change. You are speaking of your personal experience, and I am speaking for many, many others, not just myself. I am not fighting for fair compensation for just our family, it is for the entire cruise. Yes, I would love to continue sailing with RCCL and have the chance to re-book the same Western itinerary, but I will NOT do it unless they give in, and reconsider the compensation.

This was posted from someone on our cruise that did a B2B, which I really feel bad for them having to go to the same ports twice, although they did get a 15% FCC for their inconvience.

To those fellow cruisers who are still reading our Roll Call thread:

I was asked to explain on another thread "why are the january 25 cruisers so upset about the current cruise?"

I wrote this response, and would welcome any comments as to whether I have written accurately:

I was on B2B, January 15 & January 25 cruises.

On the first cruise, there were very stormy seas going down. (of course, we had no idea what she would have to go through just 3 weeks later!) Lots of stuff flying off the counters and breaking. (we only lost wine glasses, not the wine, thank god! )

Then when we were down in the Caribbean, more storms were brewing on the Atlantic coast. So we "hung around" between Florida and the Bahamas for an extra day, delaying our return to Cape Liberty for a day.

That cruise got an extra day, and the next one lost a day. (of course, I still got 22 days, just 11 + 11 instead of 10 + 12) However, because of the lost day and thus a change of days (everything out of sync by a day), Royal Caribbean decided to completely change the itinerary.

The January 15 cruise was 10 nights Eastern Caribbean.

San Juan

St. Thomas

St. Martin

St. Kitts

The January 25 cruise was (supposed to be) 12 nights WESTERN Caribbean.

Labadee

Falmouth, Jamaica

Grand Cayman

Costa Maya, Mexico

Roatan, Honduras

Cozumel

This was only the second time that there was a western Caribbean out of New Jersey (she had done this in November)

A HUGE number of passengers had chosen this cruise specifically for the western itinerary.

What did RC change it to?

EASTERN

St. Kitts

St. Martin

St. Thomas

San Juan

Labadee

Look familiar? Yep, same itinerary we had just done.

So, to recap: January 25 cruisers lost one day of their cruise and had all of the ports changed. (we had some normally rough seas, too)

The only "compensation" was $200 OBC per cabin interior & oceanview, $300 balcony, and (I think) $400 suite.

Not per person. Per cabin. Not nearly enough to make most people "whole" from a lost day of cruise. Plus the complete change in itinerary, which some people did not know about until arriving at the terminal on January 26. RC's communication, as usual, was not good.

Now, being on board and having many conversations with assorted officers, I understood the reasons for the changes. They were reasonable changes, all of them, under the circumstances.

But people were LIVID.

But the salt in the wound is the generous compensation being given to the cruise currently on its way home.

What is happening to those people? Two lost days. No change in itinerary. One lost port. (and it may have been Nassau! ) Small noro outbreak.

What are those people getting? Full refund of whatever they paid for two days of their cruise plus a 50% FCC.

See the inequity?

This is a very fair explanation of what occurred on this cruise. I knew of the change two days before and tried to cancel and reschedule to a later Western Caribbean cruise......... But Royal Caribbean stonewalled me and said that I would lose all of my money paid if I cancelled! ((Approx $8,000. For a Grand Suite) I think I have a right to be LIVID about all of this. Again, they should have compensated us 50% toward a future cruise on RC to the Western Caribbean. Myself and my fellow passengers have a right to be angry about this treatment. Very poor management forms Royal Caribbean. To all future and potential customers I say: "Buyer Beware"

This is a very fair explanation of what occurred on this cruise. I knew of the change two days before and tried to cancel and reschedule to a later Western Caribbean cruise......... But Royal Caribbean stonewalled me and said that I would lose all of my money paid if I cancelled! ((Approx $8,000. For a Grand Suite) I think I have a right to be LIVID about all of this. Again, they should have compensated us 50% toward a future cruise on RC to the Western Caribbean. Myself and my fellow passengers have a right to be angry about this treatment. Very poor management forms Royal Caribbean. To all future and potential customers I say: "Buyer Beware"

Yes and to lose a Grand Suite customer, shame on them:mad:!!! They don't care at all! If I lived closer to the port, I would love to be there when the ship comes in, especially if the press is going to be there:eek:.

None of us is really that important to them. I think they are just trained to say that. They know that in a month or so all of this will be old news and most people will forget and if they lose a few people in the meantime it will cost them less than compensating the thousands that were on the cruise.

I'm sure they weigh all of this carefully. The cruises that got the big new stories got good compensation so that those could accompany the news stories to show how fair they are being and soften those blows.

RCI is doing so well. Even will all the recent news their stock has gone up, even, another almost 3% today.

I don't think a high percentage of cruisers read Cruise Critic for these kinds of updates either.

We've had cruises before where we've skipped ports and, on once cruise, we even skipped all of the Mexican ports and got a few free drinks for our trouble. We figure that cruising, like so many things in life, comes with a few gambles. Many more times than not, we've gotten more than our money's worth so we keep coming back.

This sucks for you though.

I wonder, if your quest wasn't so public, if they might have given you, personally, something for your trouble. The could have offered you something off on a future cruise (perhaps not the 50%, but maybe 25%. They are giving people 30% right now in the latest sale. Instead, they fostered another long angry thread.

Tom

Kind of funny, she kept saying on the phone how important we and other Crown & Anchor members are to them and they hope that we continue sailing with them, and I said well why are you not doing for our cruise as you did the others and make things right so we all will continue with you, and all she kept saying was that the cruises were different circumstances.

Well I'm glad you had a wonderful cruise and that you didn't get shafted, but thousands of others did! Maybe $$$ is no factor for you, maybe you haven't been to some of the Eastern ports and didn't mind going there. Some people work very hard and save for years to be able to go somewhere they have always wanted to go and for that all to be changed is very upsetting. I could have been understanding with a 2 or even 3 port change and continued on with our itinerary hitting the last 3-4 ports, but it was an UNNECESSARY complete itinerary change. You are speaking of your personal experience, and I am speaking for many, many others, not just myself. I am not fighting for fair compensation for just our family, it is for the entire cruise. Yes, I would love to continue sailing with RCCL and have the chance to re-book the same Western itinerary, but I will NOT do it unless they give in, and reconsider the compensation.

Well Brenda we actually have to save for our cruises as we dont make a lot of money. And we were disappointed that the itinerary was changed. We had also been to the ports other than San Juan and Labadee the year before, on a cruise that, again, we had to save for. So no, your perception is wrong as money is a factor.

Maybe I posted because I didnt ask you to nor do I want you to speak for me. Why is it that your personal feelings are representitive of many many others and yet mine are discounted? I can speak for myself thank you and I dont feel that we were shafted at all. We had a fabulous time, met wonderful people to spend our time with and received an onboard credit for the missed day. Its all good up here in snowy Canada.

Marion

Very Very well said.

Just because the O.P. has an axe to grind doesn't mean they speak for everyone.

And perhaps the more they speak, the more Royal Caribbean will decide to dig their heels in, hoping the O.P. does indeed take their business elsewhere.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do business with RCL, if we don't like their policies there's lots of other choices.

Well Brenda we actually have to save for our cruises as we dont make a lot of money. And we were disappointed that the itinerary was changed. We had also been to the ports other than San Juan and Labadee the year before, on a cruise that, again, we had to save for. So no, your perception is wrong as money is a factor.

Maybe I posted because I didnt ask you to nor do I want you to speak for me. Why is it that your personal feelings are representitive of many many others and yet mine are discounted? I can speak for myself thank you and I dont feel that we were shafted at all. We had a fabulous time, met wonderful people to spend our time with and received an onboard credit for the missed day. Its all good up here in snowy Canada.

Marion

Marion

Marion,

I am not at all discounting your feelings, to each their own and I am very sorry if I offended you, it was not intended that way. I was just replying to when you said we were not shafted. Maybe you felt you weren't personally shafted, but others do and we have the right to voice our opinion and try to get what we feel we deserve. Maybe I should have phrased it differently about fair compensation for the entire cruise, I guess I should have said for those of us that feel we deserve the same fair compensation that the other cruises got. I spoke of it that way, because I wouldn't feel right asking for compensation for myself, if others on the same sailing did not receive the same, so I guess that's where the "entire cruise" came from .

I wonder, if your quest wasn't so public, if they might have given you, personally, something for your trouble. The could have offered you something off on a future cruise (perhaps not the 50%, but maybe 25%. They are giving people 30% right now in the latest sale. Instead, they fostered another long angry thread.

Tom

I really don't think it would have mattered. I contacted customer relations before all the hub-bub was written about here. I got nowhere. The agents have the company line well rehearsed and just say it over and over.

Itinerary changes happen all the time.

A few years ago we booked Bermuda in September. The sailing the week before ours a hurricane was going on and NCL took their people to Canada. Imagine packing for beach days in Bermuda and instead going to Canada. There was no compensation offered. This was several years ago--itinerary changes are a part of cruising.

Western Caribbean sailings are generally cheaper that Eastern sailings, not the opposite as posted here.

It sounds like you were okay with your compensation until you heard someone else might have gotten a better deal. They went through a lot more.

Life is not fair. RCL is in business to give a good cruise experience yet making a profit is the goal. All business works that way.

I am sure in a month this will not be such a big blow to you.

Don't be rash and cancel your cruise just yet. If you are Diamond on Royal, they must be a good fit for you. Any other line would probably have the same scenario at some time.

I think that is a key here. If people were compensated in consistent and fair manners you would not have so many upset people.

Why does shortened cruise A not deserve to have a per diem refund when shortened cruise B is receiving a per diem refund?

Why does shortened cruise A not receive any future cruise credit when cruise B received 50% cruise credit.

Why did cruise A completely alter itinerary instead of dropping one port of call? With only a 1 day delay they could have still made the rest of their scheduled ports of call and docking times with the removal of one port. This is a mystery to me. Did anyone ever receive an explanation relating to this?

Cruise A was shortened by weather.

Cruise B was shortened by weather (so they say).

I think it boils down to inconsistent application of management when choosing to go beyond their own policies. The non-refund of a per diem charge per pax for a shortened cruise is the ultimate insult, IMO. More so than a future cruise credit or any onboard credits. That right there is a big middle finger from the company to guests and it should make everyone pause with concern for a moment. A per diem refund for missed days is a very fundamental thing.

Let me start this post by saying that I was not "disappointed" in the cruise, but I cruise a lot, and I am very lucky, I know. However, there was actually a port on the western itinerary that I have never been to (that doesn't happen often ;)) and a port that I have only been to twice. The Eastern itinerary is one that I have done.............many many many times.

Again, the inconsistency of treatment is the real problem here. As someone else said, it seems to be a "Spin the Wheel" process.

But both on the ship and afterwards, I have explained to many people WHY we couldn't "just skip a port and still do a western itinerary."

Here goes.

It is a long way from Cape Liberty to the first stop in the Caribbean. The Anthem cruises are scheduled with two sea days on the way down and three sea days on the way back.

I will deal with the ports one by one, AS THEY WERE AT THE TIME IN JANUARY.

First of all, changing the day 'by just one day' can change availability at the piers. If you have a spot on Monday, there may not be one on Tuesday.

1. Labadee. Just the week before, Freedom and other ships did NOT port in Labadee because of the protests. There was a chance that we could sail there and not be able to stop.

2. Grand Cayman. During that time period, there was a lot of bad weather everywhere. Several ships were missing GC then.

3. Costa Maya had been having high winds at that time, and some ships had missed this port.

So, there was a chance that we would have missed these three ports.

We would have had to skip at least one port anyway, with six ports and 5 days just getting back and forth, once you eliminate a day of the cruise.

So there was a chance that we could have had an eleven night cruise with just two ports.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Edited by Merion_Mom

A few years ago we booked Bermuda in September. The sailing the week before ours a hurricane was going on and NCL took their people to Canada. Imagine packing for beach days in Bermuda and instead going to Canada. There was no compensation offered. This was several years ago--itinerary changes are a part of cruising.

Western Caribbean sailings are generally cheaper that Eastern sailings, not the opposite as posted here.

It sounds like you were okay with your compensation until you heard someone else might have gotten a better deal. They went through a lot more.

Life is not fair. RCL is in business to give a good cruise experience yet making a profit is the goal. All business works that way.

Don't be rash and cancel your cruise just yet. If you are Diamond on Royal, they must be a good fit for you. Any other line would probably have the same scenario at some time.

Not true. Look at any ship that sails Eastern and Western b2b, like the Oasis or Allure. The western week is more, all other factors being equal.

I was not okay with the compensation we were offered right from the time we found out we were only getting $200 OBC, because that didn't even cover our lost day, which is why we stood in Guest Services line for over 1 1/2 hours, along with the other very upset cruisers. I didn't in any way expect the full refund that the cruise after ours got (and they definitely deserved the full refund) but I do feel that they should have offered us some sort of % off to be able to apply it towards taking another Western cruise, at a later date. Had there been a hurricane or a terrible storm which justified the change in itinerary, I would have been ok with that, and know those things happen, and are out of their control, but that wasn't our case.

As we were in route the day before our cruise, I was one of the ones they polled to see if we wanted to go Eastern or Western with a couple of port changes and I said Western because that is what we booked in the first place. I had the agent call me back after the poll was done to find out the results and she said you're going Eastern, I then said, well of all the ones you polled, what did most want, and she said almost everyone she polled said Western. So that poll was pretty much useless and should have never been decided by a select few, every paying passenger should have had a say in it.

I appreciate your advice to not be rash and cancel our Harmony cruise. I do need time to calm down and let this go, because as I can see it is getting nowhere with RCCL, and is not worth the upset and aggravation anymore. I have been looking at the NCL Epic on the same date as our Harmony cruise, it is $600 cheaper for the 4 of us and includes the drink package so we are going to give them a try. Yes, Royal WAS a good fit for us, but if this is how they do business, i'm not interested.

I'm curious if they offer their compensation based on how much media attention they think the story will generate. The Feb 6th sailing was all over the news, so they probably felt they had to up the ante in terms of compensation? I don't know if the Jan 25th sailing received that much traction.

My first Explorer cruise was delayed by a day and we ended up missing a port - we each got compensated 15% of our cruise cost.