Sunshine Gastroenteritis outbreak

Smmessineo

I am currently on the Sunshine's 13 night Journeys cruise. It has been wonderful, both in itinerary and ship's crew ! I'll post a review and answer questions once I get home.

However, I wanted to update here that yesterday we got verbal and written notifications that Acute Gastroenteritis is occurring. Today , we got notice that it has reached outbreak level.

They've instituted using servers in the buffet, no more handshaking , reminders to wash hands often. And a request go to Medical Center for free care if symptoms arise.

We return to Port Canaveral on March 5.

They seem to be handling this well.

It's probably not uncommon.

Widespread enough for Carnival to deliver written notice to each stateroom saying it has "escalated to what is classified as an outbreak level ". What defines outbreak level ? I don't know.

The answer is:

: Typically, when there's a significant outbreak of Norovirus or a similar illness (the CDC requires cruise lines to immediately file a report when more than 2 percent of passengers report symptoms)

Unfortunately there's a widespread outbreak of the stomach flu. Not surprising it's showing up on ships. Hopefully people are bringing it on unknowingly. Having had the stomach flu 2 weeks ago I don't see how anyone could board while actively sick.

Jam...... I agree. This isn't limited to cruise ships. And it's not just the gastro illness. Before I left for my cruise, a lot of people in my Florida community had bronchitis, bad enough to be laid up in bed. And sitting here at breakfast on the ship, I can hear people coughing , and 2 conversations about visiting the doctor here for cold/cough symptoms. We all face this sort of stuff at home in the winter.

I guess the cruise industry is held to tight standards by the CDC.

Ev......thanks for the definition of what the CDC considers an outbreak!

I wonder if they keep similar stats for respiratory illnesses.

I am currently on the Sunshine's 13 night Journeys cruise. It has been wonderful, both in itinerary and ship's crew ! I'll post a review and answer questions once I get home.

However, I wanted to update here that yesterday we got verbal and written notifications that Acute Gastroenteritis is occurring. Today , we got notice that it has reached outbreak level.

They've instituted using servers in the buffet, no more handshaking , reminders to wash hands often. And a request go to Medical Center for free care if symptoms arise.

I swear that ship is cursed.

Wonder who brought it on and when. And how long it will take to eradicate it.

I wonder how many erroneously think that sanitizer can combat it.

Hand wash hand wash hand wash. Norovirus was tolerable when we were kids, but is horrid as adults. Especially if vacationing.

Jam...... I agree. This isn't limited to cruise ships. And it's not just the gastro illness. Before I left for my cruise, a lot of people in my Florida community had bronchitis, bad enough to be laid up in bed. And sitting here at breakfast on the ship, I can hear people coughing , and 2 conversations about visiting the doctor here for cold/cough symptoms. We all face this sort of stuff at home in the winter.

I guess the cruise industry is held to tight standards by the CDC.

Ev......thanks for the definition of what the CDC considers an outbreak!

I wonder if they keep similar stats for respiratory illnesses.

I'm not doubting you about people coming on sick, but also keep in mind people have cough's for different reasons. My mother has chronic cough because of her COPD/emphysema.

Lovely...we board the Sunshine this Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We board Saturday too!! I'm hoping they'll be giving the ship a good cleaning before we board. Started Airborne just in case!

Unfortunately these things happen. The stomach bug has been running rampant here as well!

I'm not doubting you about people coming on sick, but also keep in mind people have cough's for different reasons. My mother has chronic cough because of her COPD/emphysema.

Sometimes I feel I should wear a sign around my neck saying I'm not sick just because I cough a lot:eek:

Sometimes I feel I should wear a sign around my neck saying I'm not sick just because I cough a lot:eek:

On the Glory Journeys B2B cruises in Jan & Feb, there were a few people coughing the 1st few days of the sailing. By the end of the 2nd leg, coughing had spread and it was hard to find a quiet spot on the ship not punctuated by someone's hacking. The Miami airport sounded the same, so this was not confined to the ship.

We board Saturday too!! I'm hoping they'll be giving the ship a good cleaning before we board. Started Airborne just in case!

Unfortunately these things happen. The stomach bug has been running rampant here as well!

Along with Anthem of the Seas, you will be on one of the two cleanest ships sailing this weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised if boarding was delayed slightly because they will need to sanitize the ship. Of course, if you notice, the crew do this on a regular basis anyway. They wipe down most surfaces with a solution containing Clorox to kill the bacteria that causes Noro. But it does come down to passengers washing their hands with SOAP and HOT water for more than 30 seconds to help contain this virus. So if a Noro outbreak starts on your ship, you can likely thank a fellow passenger who didn't wash their hands after going to the potty.............:eek:

i wouldn't be surprised if boarding was delayed slightly because they will need to sanitize the ship. Of course, if you notice, the crew do this on a regular basis anyway. They wipe down most surfaces with a solution containing clorox to kill the bacteria that causes noro. But it does come down to passengers washing their hands with soap and hot water for more than 30 seconds to help contain this virus. So if a noro outbreak starts on your ship, you can likely thank a fellow passenger who didn't wash their hands after going to the potty.............:eek:

truth!!!

Its not uncommon at all, its called Noro!

I wouldn't be surprised if boarding was delayed slightly because they will need to sanitize the ship. Of course, if you notice, the crew do this on a regular basis anyway. They wipe down most surfaces with a solution containing Clorox to kill the bacteria that causes Noro. But it does come down to passengers washing their hands with SOAP and HOT water for more than 30 seconds to help contain this virus. So if a Noro outbreak starts on your ship, you can likely thank a fellow passenger who didn't wash their hands after going to the potty.............:eek:

I hate to be picky, but it is the Norovirus, not a bacteria.