A reminder to track the prices of cruises you are interested in

Especially if you are after a last minute "deal".

A comment on the roll call of our upcoming Golden Princess 21 night repo cruise , Sydney to Hong Kong, led me to check the current prices of that cruise.

The price for the cheapest inside cabin (Forward) has been $2399pp almost constantly since I started looking at it last August. It did drop, briefly and possibly only for past cruisers, which is when I booked a Midships inside cabin for $1899pp (no OBC other than what I got for using a FCC), and there have been various perks offered along the way, including one offer of $400 OBC but that still worked out dearer overall than what I paid.

This cruise is currently listed under Top Cruise Deals, as "Reduced", "Hurry, Availability is Limited", "Take advantage of last minute cruises at a great value! Limited availability!".

The price for the cheapest inside cabin (Forward) is now $2999pp. :eek:

That's $1,100pp dearer than I paid for a midships cabin - which are currently sold out but if there were any I suspect they'd be selling for $3199 based on other cabin category prices. No OBC or any other perks either.

Naughty Princess!

It certainly pays to keep track of the pricing. Last minute "deals" are not always good! :eek: :mad:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

OzKiwi.

Make sure you are signed in.

Over the last day or two I am seeing some higher pricing (higher by many many hundreds) which, when you sign in, revert to more normal pricing.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

OzKiwi.

Make sure you are signed in.

Over the last day or two I am seeing some higher pricing (higher by many many hundreds) which, when you sign in, revert to more normal pricing.

I checked it both ways, Opua Kiwi. There wasn't even $100 off for past cruisers! :eek:

Naughty, naughty Princess! :mad:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Once I decide I want to do a particular cruise, or even just cruise at a particular time, I note the fares of all relevant cruises in a spreadsheet. I try to note any OBC offered, or other perks, gratuities where appropriate, drinks package costs, and visas - in other words all the things that I will definitely spend money during that cruise so I'm comparing apples with apples.

Then I check those fares regularly. Not every day, but often enough. I book when the fare (plus extras) reaches a price I'm comfortable with or if I've used a FCC I can then request a fare match if I've already booked (on Princess at least). It certainly paid off with the Golden cruise.

I'm also building a spreadsheet of actuals from cruises I've done so far so I have something to compare to in the future.

I kinda like spreadsheets :D :D :D

Bargains can disappear literally before your eyes too, so if you see one - grab it. At least put a hold on it while you decide. Being inexperienced I was looking at cruises for my time off in March. Voyager of the Seas had balconies for $700 (&something). While I was too busy deciding, I refreshed the page and it was gone. I checked everywhere else, gone. That's when I got the balcony on Carnival Legend for $872, which about three days later was gone. Then a few days later, the cheap balconies on Voyager were back again! Then gone again.

This was all roughly five weeks before sail date.

So don't hesitate ... just book and go :)

My upcoming Panama Canal on celebrity is just past final payment. It's just been listed on the Tuesday exciting deals, it is cheaper but without the beverage package. I check everyday as quite a few cabins became available in the last two weeks, so they have quiet a few to sell, hopefully it will drop further and then the lower price will compensate for no beverage package.

When we booked there were no balcony cabins available, currently to upgrade to a balcony is over $1500pp extra, so I'm hoping they'll drop further so I can snag a balcony! I've been watching the sailing before ours and they have had a significant drop ( with similar availability) so fingers crossed.

I also get email notification for any price changes in USD which gives me an indication of price drops, but hey I probably don't need it cause I check every day:rolleyes:

Bargains can disappear literally before your eyes too, so if you see one - grab it. At least put a hold on it while you decide.

I totally agree! I went out to the shed to talk to the husband one time, and when I came back the Celebrity special was gone. That was a while back. Unless it is past the full refund period, I now just put the deposit on it, and then we cancel if we can't get away from work.

The trouble with a lot of last minute special prices is that the available cabins are in locations that I would not prefer. Or the inside is a fabulous special and the balcony is up on previous pricing.

I also have noticed a few last minute specials that are not real cheap lately. For many first time cruisers the idea that they have a special is all they want to hear. They are not silly, they are just too trusting.

That's $1,100pp dearer than I paid for a midships cabin - which are currently sold out but if there were any I suspect they'd be selling for $3199 based on other cabin category prices. No OBC or any other perks either.

I had a look at how many cabins were left on this cruise - almost 50 inside cabins alone, a few oceanviews, a few balconies, some mini-suites, and a whole heap of suites.

And they put the inside cabin price UP? :eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

Especially if you are after a last minute "deal".

A comment on the roll call of our upcoming Golden Princess 21 night repo cruise , Sydney to Hong Kong, led me to check the current prices of that cruise.

The price for the cheapest inside cabin (Forward) has been $2399pp almost constantly since I started looking at it last August. It did drop, briefly and possibly only for past cruisers, which is when I booked a Midships inside cabin for $1899pp (no OBC other than what I got for using a FCC), and there have been various perks offered along the way, including one offer of $400 OBC but that still worked out dearer overall than what I paid.

This cruise is currently listed under Top Cruise Deals, as "Reduced", "Hurry, Availability is Limited", "Take advantage of last minute cruises at a great value! Limited availability!".

Naughty Princess!

It certainly pays to keep track of the pricing. Last minute "deals" are not always good! :eek: :mad:

Good research there OzKiwiJJ. Very interesting and of value to a newbie. PArdon my ignorance, what's an FCC?

Good research there OzKiwiJJ. Very interesting and of value to a newbie. PArdon my ignorance, what's an FCC?

FCC = Future Cruise Credit.

You can buy them anboard Princess $100 ea (you must be on board to buy) that then acts as your deposit on a future cruise (you still pay the going price but don't need the deposit) you then get some OBC which varies depending on the length of the cruise.

A bit like booking while on the ship when you don't know what cruise you want to book.

The price for the cheapest inside cabin on that cruise has now dropped from $2999 to $1999. Did someone make a booboo loading in the prices earlier :eek:, or did Princess suddenly wonder why their sales had dropped off. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they read this thread. :D

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

i was lucky with my cruise via my princess agent it dropped $1000 and that saving was passed onto me was the cheapest it got after that went up and down like a yo yo came close once that was it

i was lucky with my cruise via my princess agent it dropped $1000 and that saving was passed onto me was the cheapest it got after that went up and down like a yo yo came close once that was it

Our Princess Cruise Planner has been great.

Our Princess Cruise Planner has been great.

I thought I had an email from one when I first registered but couldn't find it when I went to book so I just went ahead and booked rang up once as I had booked deck 11 and changed my mind on that and went deck 10 then a couple of months later I got the email like I did when I first joined and saw the bit on if price went down etc but thought too late had already booked , as it was it has by 100 , I decided to let her know had already booked etc , she's saw that I had and that the price went down so amended that from that day on I let her know when I paid and when prices went down etc in the end saved $1000 , very happy on that I did put it all back into shore excursions but was great having her there if I had any questions etc she answered them

I totally agree! I went out to the shed to talk to the husband one time, and when I came back the Celebrity special was gone. That was a while back. Unless it is past the full refund period, I now just put the deposit on it, and then we cancel if we can't get away from work.

The trouble with a lot of last minute special prices is that the available cabins are in locations that I would not prefer. Or the inside is a fabulous special and the balcony is up on previous pricing.

I also have noticed a few last minute specials that are not real cheap lately. For many first time cruisers the idea that they have a special is all they want to hear. They are not silly, they are just too trusting.

Aren't the deposits non refundable though? If you book in Aus that is. For our upcoming cruise I lucked out and got $25 deposits, but they are usually several hundred...

Aren't the deposits non refundable though? If you book in Aus that is. For our upcoming cruise I lucked out and got $25 deposits, but they are usually several hundred...

They are refundable up to a certain time before the cruise, usually final payment date. That may depend on the cruise line though, and some travel agents also impose their own cancellation fees.

They are refundable up to a certain time before the cruise, usually final payment date. That may depend on the cruise line though, and some travel agents also impose their own cancellation fees.

Oh right - I was always under the impression that in Aus deposits were non refundable? Thanks

Oh right - I was always under the impression that in Aus deposits were non refundable? Thanks

Also if you cruise regularly on lines, like Princess, that have Future Cruise Credits (FCC), they are worth investing in. Each credit is $100pp but you can buy more.

On Princess when you book another cruise you only have to apply a $100pp FCC as your deposit and you get $125 -$150 OBC depending on the type of cabin you book. You can cancel anytime and your $100 FCC goes back ready to be used again. You will also get any price drops that occur before final payment date - if you book directly with Princess you can phone them before paying the balance to check if there were any price drops.

You have two years to use the FCC, after that it is credited back to your credit card. I think you can get the time extended as well.

Also if you cruise regularly on lines, like Princess, that have Future Cruise Credits (FCC), they are worth investing in. Each credit is $100pp but you can buy more.

On Princess when you book another cruise you only have to apply a $100pp FCC as your deposit and you get $125 -$150 OBC depending on the type of cabin you book. You can cancel anytime and your $100 FCC goes back ready to be used again. You will also get any price drops that occur before final payment date - if you book directly with Princess you can phone them before paying the balance to check if there were any price drops.

You have two years to use the FCC, after that it is credited back to your credit card. I think you can get the time extended as well.

P & O have changed the FCC rules, if you don't book in 2 years you lose your money. I have yet to find out if Princess has changed.