Is Princess Feeling the Heat??

Have been following the prices and cabin availabilty for a few cruises over 2017 and have just noticed some quite significant price changes. Yes some bits and pieces have been eliminated but cruise price drops have more than compensated. Just wondering if Princess (and maybe some of the other cruise lines) are starting to experience some difficulty/slowdown with their sales and are looking for early commitments.:)

Have been following the prices and cabin availabilty for a few cruises over 2017 and have just noticed some quite significant price changes. Yes some bits and pieces have been eliminated but cruise price drops have more than compensated. Just wondering if Princess (and maybe some of the other cruise lines) are starting to experience some difficulty/slowdown with their sales and are looking for early commitments.:)

Well I though prices were creeping up a bit the lat year or so.

Maybe that has cat them some bookings so they are winding them back.

I still think its the best holiday value around.

We pay less per day in a balcony cabin, than we do for a night in a hotel dinner the night before we depart (normally something pretty basic like pizza or similar) and breakfast the morning we board (again usually something basic like subway or Maccas) no transport or entertainment.

I don't necessarily disagree but I am just wondering if all the competition for passengers between the cruise lines in what is still a fairly restricted market here in Australia is starting to have an effect.:)

I don't necessarily disagree but I am just wondering if all the competition for passengers between the cruise lines in what is still a fairly restricted market here in Australia is starting to have an effect.:)

Could be. There are more berths to fill with all the ships in port. However, for our market I would think that RCL is probably feeling the pinch the most and PO Australia too.

I think its more of a case that Princess really hiked the prices up for 2016 cruises and have dialed them back a bit for 2017 when they realised they might have pushed the pricing too far.

I agree.

We book, almost exclusively mid ship balconies (BA on Princess). For the best part of 15 years we were paying $200 pp pd.

Last year it was edging towards $250.

Our Dec cruise was a tad over $250 when we booked.:mad:

With a couple if price drops, now down to tha magical $200 mark:D

Princess themselves have increased capacity enormously.

Up to about 2007 that had one ship here for six months (680 Pax). Pacific

This year they have three ships here year round a about 1800 ea (Sun Sea and Dawn) plus a coupl for the season Diamong and Golden.

A massive difference over the year in capacity, even allowing for one being n a WC for about 4 months and on on Circle Pacific for 10 weeks or so and the same on Circle SA.

It always used to be that the earlier you booked , the cheaper the fare...Early Saver fares etc....

We had 2 occasions where we booked early and then watched the price nearly double.I think with all the competition they are trying to get people to commit to a cruise and will then then up the price once they attain a certain level of booking.

i'm cruising solo now and i find princess prices are so dear for us solos so i have to look around and see who has the best prices

i know i get the elite benefits with princess but i booked a p&o cruise for 12 months time and the same cruise is $2200 cheaper with p&o plus i get a mystery tour and a soft drink package and some obc so i'm happy, i will miss the benefits but i'm saving $2200 which will make up for the lost benefits

It always used to be that the earlier you booked , the cheaper the fare...Early Saver fares etc....

We had 2 occasions where we booked early and then watched the price nearly double.I think with all the competition they are trying to get people to commit to a cruise and will then then up the price once they attain a certain level of booking.

Prices seem to be bouncing around all over the place. The price for an inside cabin on my upcoming Golden cruise dropped for a while (and I booked it then), then went back to the previous price, and is now significantly dearer - which seems a bit silly just over a month out from the sail date.

My cruise this month was never more expensive than when it was launched.

It started at about $2500 for a balcony (12 nights), dropped considerably about a year out and has hovered around $1700-1800 since then with various extras.

I happened to call Princess about something else around Nov last year and picked up an 'email only' fare I'd never actually seen advertised, for $1549. Kids are in an interior for $1049. I'm pretty happy with that.

My cruise this month was never more expensive than when it was launched.

It started at about $2500 for a balcony (12 nights), dropped considerably about a year out and has hovered around $1700-1800 since then with various extras.

I happened to call Princess about something else around Nov last year and picked up an 'email only' fare I'd never actually seen advertised, for $1549. Kids are in an interior for $1049. I'm pretty happy with that.

Sounds to me like you've done well.

Prices seem to be bouncing around all over the place.

I'm finding that to be the case also...(but full suites seem to be consistent in their pricing from beginning to end)

Edited by Lanwood

I'm finding that to be the case also...(but full suites seem to be consistent in their pricing from beginning to end)

There are not that many of them......

Traditionally the most expensive and the cheapest cabins sell out first.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer