Ever sailed with Concussion?

LewLewBelle

I am recovering from a concussion( traumatic brain injury) I get headaches,nausea and fatigue mostly. My husband and I want to have a get away after such a rough few months since my car wreck. I am just curious if you have sailed with a concussion and if so what was it like?

We booked mid ship inside cabin for stability. We always get a balcony but felt the swaying would be less.

I am recovering from a concussion( traumatic brain injury) I get headaches,nausea and fatigue mostly. My husband and I want to have a get away after such a rough few months since my car wreck. I am just curious if you have sailed with a concussion and if so what was it like?

We booked mid ship inside cabin for stability. We always get a balcony but felt the swaying would be less.

You probably have the best possible location, BUT I'd say ask your doctor.

You must have had a pretty serious concussion to still be having issues that severe after a few months. You're not necessarily at any additional risk just just because you will be on the ship, but obviously follow the directions that doctor already gave you. Stay away from the things that are common on a cruise (loud music, late nights, alcohol, too much sun, etc.). Have you cruised before? If you're prone to seasickness and already have nausea you could be in for an ugly trip. The motion may effect you differently now than it did in the past as well. There's no way to tell unfortunately.

I have sailed before on Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Pride without any sea sickness. I saw my Doctor today and she said take my medicines with me and to do what I feel like I can do :) I have earplugs that help a lot but still allow me to hear.

As for the seriousness I feel blessed that I am able to do most things. I know others who haven't had the same opportunity. Trying to figure out a vacation that is relaxing is tough with a concussion issue. Thank you for your replies, I know each individual is different and who knows maybe by July I will be better :)

I have sailed before on Freedom of the Seas and Carnival Pride without any sea sickness. I saw my Doctor today and she said take my medicines with me and to do what I feel like I can do :) I have earplugs that help a lot but still allow me to hear.

As for the seriousness I feel blessed that I am able to do most things. I know others who haven't had the same opportunity. Trying to figure out a vacation that is relaxing is tough with a concussion issue. Thank you for your replies, I know each individual is different and who knows maybe by July I will be better :)

Good luck.

As others have stated do what the doctor suggests. None of us here know what your dealing with day to day. You know your body better than anyone.

Ear plugs are a definite. As someone myself who deals with PTSD, anxiety, and depression, sound can be an issue for me and I am certain for you.

My biggest obstacle is always the muster drill when they blast that alarm.

Ask your doctor about the TransDermal Patch for sea sickness JUST IN CASE you need it. Geez, I believe that is the name of it with TBI you know the "Swiss Cheese" memory. Doctor will know about it. If you experience any vertigo problems be careful on the staircases as well. Maybe use the elevator's for this cruise.

Then go and ENJOY - be sure you take your meds just in case you get a migraine - be proactive.

May want to ask your doctor about Migrelief and Magnesium supplements too.

As they have helped me tremendously with the headaches.

HAPPY CRUSING:)

Since you are asking for opinions......

You are sort of "trapped" on a ship. If any of your symptoms worsen, could be a very difficult trip. Perhaps a land based vacation might be best for your vacation? Then cruise the next time.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Can understand how you need to have a post recovery holiday and I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I have recurring unfathomable headaches/migraines allied with constant tinnitus so know a smidgin of what you're suffering.

Travelling with those symptoms can obviously be a serious issue. Being at sea with those issues could be worse as there's no escape if the motion of the ocean causes you any further problems.

We travel quite a lot during the year, flying to the US to join cruise as well as land based holidays around Europe. Just thought I'd mentioned another aspect of travel with medical problems.

I hope you have declared your exisitng condition to your travel insurance company? If you have they might cover you excluding your existing condition, if you haven't they might repudiate any claims because of non-disclosure.

What is the situation with your chosen cruise line? Are they happy to accept you as a passenger with your potential problems? If you require repatriation or landing at an unscheduled port who is responsible for the costs they might suffer?

Hope you do get away for a break but please consider all scenarios, you certainly don't need any extra stress.

If you were looking at a trip soon I wouldn't do it but seeing as you're talking about July and you will be 5 months into recovery I would be fine dong it. If it was me I would just book it and then get cancel for any reason insurance. Then if you decided things haven't gotten better you can always cancel.

Edited by chadbeck

Do you have to fly to get to the ship?

With the symptoms you still exhibit, I wonder how comfortable you will be; how you will feel. I'd be reluctant to go forward.

Best Wishes.

Do you have to fly to get to the ship?

With the symptoms you still exhibit, I wonder how comfortable you will be; how you will feel. I'd be reluctant to go forward.

Best Wishes.

Has your doctor given you the "okay" to cruise? What about flying?

JMO -- if I still had the symptoms that you have described, I wouldn't be cruising (or flying).

We agree. :)

I think it pertinent if OP has to fly and that is why I raised the question.

Thanks for the patch suggestion! I will look into it, I am on Magnesium Oxide and B2. Seems that the brain depletes B2 with a TBI.

THANKS as I didn't know about the B2 I will check into that for myself. I do take a special B12 complex to help with brain function.

I to would second the caution's IF you have to fly to the ship. When I was early in my recovery I wouldn't have been able to fly for about 2 yrs.

However, if you can drive to the ship then in my case I would have gone on a cruise. However, that is just me.;)

Many people with headaches have issues with lights both indoor lighting and sunlight as well, so I would suggest that you bring a good pair of sunglasses with you. Also, I would suggest that you utilize the specialty restaurants if you determine that you need darker and quieter places for meals.

If you were looking at a trip soon I wouldn't do it but seeing as you're talking about July and you will be 5 months into recovery I would be fine dong it. If it was me I would just book it and then get cancel for any reason insurance. Then if you decided things haven't gotten better you can always cancel.

Does such a thing exist when you already have a medical situation?

Insurers would surely ask if you have any current issues and then increase the premiums to a ridiculous level or exclude that particular issue and probably anything that could have stemmed from that issue no matter how tenuous a link.

Edited by Oscarsgrandad

Although I have zero experience with this issue, I can just imagine how annoying the noise in the main dining room would be for you (it is for me and I don't have tbi).

Do you live within driving distance to a hotel on a nice lake? That might be a more relaxing and quieter vacation for you this July. Just a suggestion.

Great suggestions :) I am having an MRI today (sitting in waiting room now) I will find out after these test to see what my Neurologist thinks. We are driving to Baltimore so no worries about flying. I have been to a movie and was fine. I will post updates when I find out. We have used Alianz insurance before and it covers pre existing conditions.

Great suggestions :) I am having an MRI today (sitting in waiting room now) I will find out after these test to see what my Neurologist thinks. We are driving to Baltimore so no worries about flying. I have been to a movie and was fine. I will post updates when I find out. We have used Alianz insurance before and it covers pre existing conditions.

I hope your test and Neurologist appointment go well. :)

I was thinking about another important thing that may make your trip better. Bring your pillow from home. Trying to adjust to a new pillow might be an issue especially if you sustained a whiplash injury on top of your concussion.