wine question?

j3000

hypothetical question: suppose a couple brings on & pays the $15 corkage fee for the allowable 2 bottles, BUT they also packed a couple extra bottles in the luggage. If they find the extras - do they confiscate it? or just make you pay the corkage on them? (they don't "keel-haul" anyone for this any more, do they?)

ps...da wife's favorite "wine": "Take me on a cruise, Take me on a cruise!" :D

Allowable two bottles(one for each passenger), no corkage fee , unless you bring it into the dining room.

Carry all your bottles on board and pay the corkage for the extra ones (and you can bring to dining room, they mark the bottles).

We have come through security with more than the two and in some instances, the table wasn't set up to take care of extras.One never knows. I wouldn't put any wines in the suitcases (unless flying, but would remove before checking luggage at terminal).

Edited by san diego sue

...BUT they also packed a couple extra bottles in the luggage.

With the way baggage is tossed around and fork-lifted to and fro, why would anyone put wine bottles in checked luggage? Carry ALL of your wine on and you won't have any issues. Hypothetically, of course.

Your Cruise Contract states (section 5, para 3, emphasis mine):

At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any contraband or alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy.

There have been MANY reports on here ever since Princess began actual enforcement of an actual wine policy a couple years ago that ANY beverages "concealed" in checked baggage were confiscated and NOT returned. Even wine not in excess of the one 750 ml bottle per adult corkage fee-free allowance.

And you are warned of this on your luggage labels:

Bringing Alcohol

Onboard?

Please remember our

carry-on alcohol policy:

• One 750ml bottle of wine

or champagne per adult per

voyage, which will not be

subject to a corkage fee if

consumed in the stateroom.

• Additional wine or

champagne bottles are

welcome, but will incur a

$15 corkage fee per bottle,

irrespective of where they are

intended to be consumed.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers

are prohibited. Luggage is

subject to search.

(My apologies for the serious answers to what judging by some other responses may be a nonsense thread about smuggling)

On all 4 of our cruises we've brought the allowed 1 bottle per adult but always packed them in our luggage. Never a problem. Are we supposed to carry them in our carry-ons?

Yes. Note in the post above yours the reference to this being a "carry-on alcohol policy" and not a "checked bag alcohol policy".

Edited by JimmyVWine

If they find the wine they will keep it until the end of the cruise :eek:

I've heard that when they confiscate the stuff in the luggage they do not return it. They claim the warning is clearly stated on your boarding pass. All wine is to be brought on your carry on. so, even if you want to pay your corkage fees you need to carry on

Edited by jennybenny

Yes. Note in the post above yours the reference to this being a "carry-on alcohol policy" and not a "checked bag alcohol policy".

Up to a few cruises ago I'd pack three bottles of wine in my checked, rolling duffel; I never had a problem with my wine being confiscated. Don't know if it was due to the fact that each bottle was wrapped in a pair of jeans and their system, at the time, couldn't "see" them, or it wasn't that big a deal - then. I haven't brought any wine onboard for a few years.

Edited by Treven

Last trip I had two bottles in my backpack & the guy at the scanner told me to go to the liquor table but we just walked right by. They're enforcement is sometimes lacking.

So you saved $15, circumvented a specific instruction to go to the collection table, avoided compliance with the mass-market industry's most lenient wine policy, and bragged about it on a public forum. When PCL eventually gets around to abolishing its generous wine policy, things like this will make my blood boil.

Up to a few cruises ago I'd pack three bottles of wine in my checked, rolling duffel; I never had a problem with my wine being confiscated. Don't know if it was due to the fact that each bottle was wrapped in a pair of jeans and their system, at the time, couldn't "see" them, or it wasn't that big a deal - then. I haven't brought any wine onboard for a few years.

Given the total number of checked bags that have to be processed, and the short time that they have to process them, I think it is fair to say that a lot of bottles (wine or liquor) slip past the goalie. This issue will always come down to: What are passengers supposed to do, versus what can passengers get away with. Wine in checked bags is subject to confiscation, but that doesn't mean that it always be confiscated. One has to weigh the risk of confiscation with the disappointment one would feel if the wine were confiscated. From my own experience, if I were bringing on bottles of wine that I cared so little about such that their confiscation would leave me unconcerned, I would simply skip the whole process and just buy on board. If one is bringing on more treasured bottles, then there is no good reason to leave things like breakage and confiscation to chance.

So you saved $15, circumvented a specific instruction to go to the collection table, avoided compliance with the mass-market industry's most lenient wine policy, and bragged about it on a public forum. When PCL eventually gets around to abolishing its generous wine policy, things like this will make my blood boil.

I agree.......

Whats that saying?

After all it is MY cruise. :rolleyes:

It has been 5 yrs since we last cruised. We are going on a B2B cruise with one Voyage number for the two of us.

Will we only be allowed a total of 2 wine btls or 4 total for the two weeks.

I understand it is only one Voyage# but when we last sailed they allowed us the 4 btls total for the B2B[1pp/wk]:D-we had all btls carry on and scanned thru

I didn't say I had more than 2 bottles. It's just that I didn't feel like stopping at the table for no reason BUT had I wanted more than 2 bottles I certainly could have gone back to my car & picked up a couple more in my trunk after having lunch. ;)

hypothetical question: suppose a couple brings on & pays the $15 corkage fee for the allowable 2 bottles, BUT they also packed a couple extra bottles in the luggage. If they find the extras - do they confiscate it? or just make you pay the corkage on them? (they don't "keel-haul" anyone for this any more, do they?)

ps...da wife's favorite "wine": "Take me on a cruise, Take me on a cruise!" :D

This does not sound like a hypothetical question to me. :)