Being assigned a table in a good spot in the MDR

Hi

The other MDR thread has got me thinking...

We've only done one cruise before. There are 5 of us and we did early dining. We were lucky to be assigned a great table right up the back of the restaurant with natural light.

I would have really hated to be assigned a table right by the door or in one of the walkways with people going past and gawking at your food the whole meal.

So, do you worry about which table you are assigned? If you pop down to the MDR early on the first day can you choose which table you get (within reason)? Or will this just cause a big hassle for the wait staff?

Hi

The other MDR thread has got me thinking...

We've only done one cruise before. There are 5 of us and we did early dining. We were lucky to be assigned a great table right up the back of the restaurant with natural light.

I would have really hated to be assigned a table right by the door or in one of the walkways with people going past and gawking at your food the whole meal.

So, do you worry about which table you are assigned? If you pop down to the MDR early on the first day can you choose which table you get (within reason)? Or will this just cause a big hassle for the wait staff?

Nope.

Can't say I've ever had a bad table.

Maybe I'm just not tha fussy.

Dad always loved a table near the kitchen, said you got a better idea about the place that way. People checking out my meal as the go past, who cares, probably just trying to get some idea if what the meals are like.

But, if it bothers you by all means trot along when you board and have a chat with Matey d, many people do.

Sometimes what you initially think is the worst table may turn out to be the best. On our recent Solstice cruise we were allocated to a table for 8 tucked between the staircase and the wall. It looked sort of lonely, the "Siberia" table. Also the entrance to a staff work area was right next to it.

By the end of the cruise we all thought we had one of the best tables in the MDR! It was relatively quiet and private or, to put it another way, we didn't disturb anyone else with our antics :D

DS and I were at a two-top, hard up against one of the walkways on our little cruise last year.

I don't remember anyone gawking at our food to the point of annoyance, and I enjoyed the view of people coming and going (and yes, I JUDGED those sneakers and shorts, my word I did!)

More fascinating was the older couple on the other side of us. They were very close, maybe our tables were a plate-width apart. They ate their 4 courses in complete silence. They whispered in the waiter's ear when necessary, but did not speak to each other once. They regarded each other quite kindly, I can only assume they'd been together forever and have completely run out of things to say! I felt sorry for them stuck so close to DS and I because we never shut up.

On our last Explorer cruise, the MDR was overflowing so we got assigned a newly created table right at the entrance. Erk. And no chance of moving; main dining was full and people were trying to get in.

Some you win, some you lose.