What is the best/safest place to spend the day for a woman travelling solo?..

Stickarella

You should find a buddy through your ship's roll call or meet and mingle. Even if you do a ship excursion they are more than likely going to pair you with someone because they want snorkelers to buddy up for safety. You'll have a better experience if you bring a buddy.

You should find a buddy through your ship's roll call or meet and mingle. Even if you do a ship excursion they are more than likely going to pair you with someone because they want snorkelers to buddy up for safety. You'll have a better experience if you bring a buddy.

Do you travel as a solo woman cruiser?

After 47 years as a 'couple', I lost my DH and am starting to travel as a solo so am interested if you give this advice from experience.

I have been reading the 'solo traveler' forum as well.

Thanks. :)

Sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, I usually travel solo, and my post was based on my experience. I go on many tours solo, and in other ports they don't seem to have problems with people on excursions snorkeling solo, but it's mentioned on some excursions in the VI. I don't think it's a good idea to swim or hike alone.

Thank you! I have only taken one cruise before and did excursions in all ports, but noticed I lost a lot of time to travelling to the excursion sites, so I thought this trip I might just hang on the beaches. I'll take another look at the excursions. :D

It's fine if you just want to hang at the beach solo if you don't snorkel. People get caught up in snorkeling sometimes and don't realize how far they may be from shore. Not all beaches have lifeguards to look out for you if you're solo.

Hi,

I'm cruising solo, and I'm wondering what would be a beautiful beach or snorkel tour that would be safe for a woman travelling alone.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Normally I would not recommend a ship tour but in your case that is what you should do. Yes, it will cost a little more, and be more crowded but it will be very safe. When you finish that you will have plenty of time to shop or visit town, both of which are safe unless you decided to part with you greenbacks!:D

For a nice snorkel beach Sapphire is excellent, also a nice beach from which to simply enjoy the island views and water colors. Food/drink/chair/snorkel gear rentals available as well as restrooms. The one question is on keeping your belongings safe on the beach but that's no different than being there as a couple...But Sapphire is home to condo properties and is a very safe beach. Secret Harbor is another smaller bay with a real restaurant and restroom options.

You may also want to look at one of the many excellent daysails if time allows? For example Yacht Nightwind and High Pockets are both excellent, and we enjoyed a day on the Hew Horizons which stops at a couple snorkel spots and offers a fabulous Italian lunch.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, I usually travel solo, and my post was based on my experience. I go on many tours solo, and in other ports they don't seem to have problems with people on excursions snorkeling solo, but it's mentioned on some excursions in the VI. I don't think it's a good idea to swim or hike alone.

Thank you.

Helpful comments. :)

Good point about not swimming or snorkeling solo. Always have a 'buddy'.

I travel err cruise a lot with just my son. I recommend Coki Beach. I'm pretty sure outside the port, they gathered a bunch of us on to an open van to head up there. Great place to see fish.

Coki is a nice beach but it is not one I would recommend to a solo woman traveler...

I agree 100% with Glitter nails. Coki Beach is perfect for solo! Easy beach to get in and out of water, food is available, lots of other cruise people, chairs to rent and plenty of taxis, bathrooms, cocktails and lots of fish! What more could you ask for?? Pretty scenic ride from the port too!