A different question about changing after dinner

espmass

What about people who opt not to go to the formal dinner? Let's say they eat at the buffet or use room service? Obviously they wouldn't be dressed formally if they go to a show or something. Will people look down upon them for walking around in shorts and shirts? If you see someone dressed casually on formal night, how would you know if they changed after dinner or just didn't go to dinner?

First let me say that I like to dress down after dinner. However, knowing that this is against Celebrity's policy I will remain in formal attire for the entire evening. I am choosing to sail with Celebrity so I am choosing to adhere to their policy.

To answer the question: While other cruise lines allow people to dress down after dinner or if they don't do formal dinner, this is not Celebrity's policy. Celebrity asks that all people in public areas dress in formal wear for the entire evening.

But if you don't go to the dining room on formal night, are you expected to dress "up" after dinner? Or are you expected to hibernate in your cabin and not appear in any public areas? I also adhere to Celebrity's rules and remain in formal wear for the evening but was curious about people who choose not to go to the formal night.

But if you don't go to the dining room on formal night, are you expected to dress "up" after dinner? Or are you expected to hibernate in your cabin and not appear in any public areas? I also adhere to Celebrity's rules and remain in formal wear for the evening but was curious about people who choose not to go to the formal night.

If you want to go casual, use another cruise line. One reason I cruise Celebrity, is their a higher class than others. I get very didaponinted when I see someone under dressed on formal night. Sorry

If you want to go casual, use another cruise line. One reason I cruise Celebrity, is their a higher class than others. I get very didaponinted when I see someone under dressed on formal night. Sorry

I can understand that there are things that make Celebrity different from other cruise lines but what exacly is it that makes Celebrity a "higher class"?? I cruise both Celebrity and RCI and I haven't seen anything to make me think one line is higher or lower class than the other. They are different in some ways and very much alike in many ways.

And since I do agree than folks should follow the suggested rules that is one of the reasons that I am spending more time over on RCI these days. I never understood the concept of offering casual dining and then asking folks to say out of the public areas of the ship. It just makes no sense to me.

When I read the line about 'class'..just knew someone would note it.

Let's put it this way, some would prefer to attend a gangsta rap concert, others might prefer to cruise on Celebrity. Those are two classes of people. What class they are, that is in the eye of the reader....some will immediately put on their PC lecturer hat,and rip the personal opinions of others others, will simply say, "yep, I prefer it the way Celebrity does it"

I personally have seen people who changed into shorts after dinner denied entrance to the show. So if you don't at least meet the minimum dinner requirement (no shorts or jeans), there is a possibility that you will not be able to attend the show.

I personally have seen people who changed into shorts after dinner denied entrance to the show. So if you don't at least meet the minimum dinner requirement (no shorts or jeans), there is a possibility that you will not be able to attend the show.

To-sha, as it should be......

Will people look down upon them for walking around in shorts and shirts?

No, I don't think anyone is going to 'look down' on them, but they are in fact not following the guidelines

If you see someone dressed casually on formal night, how would you know if they changed after dinner or just didn't go to dinner?

You wouldn't know. But as far as the guidelines are concerend, again, what difference does it make?

There are many ways to peel the onion.

When I read the line about 'class'..just knew someone would note it.

Let's put it this way, some would prefer to attend a gangsta rap concert, others might prefer to cruise on Celebrity. Those are two classes of people. What class they are, that is in the eye of the reader....some will immediately put on their PC lecturer hat,and rip the personal opinions of others others, will simply say, "yep, I prefer it the way Celebrity does it"

Actually, those would be two groups of people. A group is something that someone can freely move in and out of. Class has an entirely different connotation. And what do you do about the person who can enjoy doing both?? Of course, that is assuming that such a person does exist! :D

This has nothing to do with being "PC". If someone thinks Celebrity is better than all the rest that is great. I asked the writer what, in his view, makes Celebrity a higher class because, in my view, I haven't seen it. So don't make more out of it than what I asked.

If someone thinks Celebrity is better than all the rest that is great. I asked the writer what, in his view, makes Celebrity a higher class

Well, nothing makes it any better or different if their attempts to do something to make it different meet with little or no cooperation.

Ocean Boy : what exacly is it that makes Celebrity a "higher class"??

SS Cruise Lady: In my opinion, "having class" has nothing to do with prestige or socio-economic class, but is descriptive of a person's personality traits. People "with class" usually feel good about who they are, so they don't need to boost their egos by constantly being the center of attention or raining on someone else's parade. Instead they tend to be more concerned about other people's feelings and strive to make those around them feel comfortable.

I have never understood why someone would book a cruise that has formal evenings and informal evenings, then want to dress down.

You should know what you are in for when you book a cruise and abide by the required dress code. If you don't want to follow the dress code, find a cruise line that better fits what you want.

I'm sorry if this sound a bit off. But come on people's attitude of it's my vacation I can do what I want. So if I want to throw a table or person overboard, I should be allowed because it's my vacation and I paid for it. NO!!!

Another thing to keep in mind. The rest of us paid for our vacation too. We paid for the upscale atmosphere formal nights give. So is it right for you to take that away from us?

Please don't take away from our vacation because you feel you have the right to dress however you like.

In the Millennium last August nobody enforced the dress code.

Frankly, I find it silly that a dress code has to be "enforced" at all. What has happened to this society that everyone feels they have the right to ignore what is stated policy and do as they please? Have we really become that lazy and self-centered?

From many of the postings on this subject, it would - sadly - appear that the answer is "yes".

There are lots of options for casual vacations, including cruise vacations, and I am in the camp of those who enjoy Celebrity's policy re attire and find this an attraction to sailing with them. I was very disappointed last week on Mercury to see how widely disregarded the dress code has become. I cruised with a friend who enjoys dressing for dinner and had never sailed with X before. My description of what she should expect was quite far from the reality of the cruise. It was disappointing to both of us.

Just off the "Mercury" and alot of people dressed down after dinner. No one was ever approached by the cruise line to change. A retired gentleman wore jeans/baseball cap to the "Captains Gala" and had a "great time." He was never asked to leave. They played the tape on board of him entering the event dressed as he was.

People truly didn't seem to care......:)

I was very disappointed last week on Mercury to see how widely disregarded the dress code has become. I cruised with a friend who enjoys dressing for dinner and had never sailed with X before. My description of what she should expect was quite far from the reality of the cruise. It was disappointing to both of us.

You see this is a mojor part of the issue. You state that the dress code was WIDELY disregarded. That translates into many people which translates into a lot of money. Celebrity is first and foremost in business to make money. Hopefully they make some people happy along the way as that is how they keep making money. Celebrity will only start enforcing the rules when they think that they will make more money doing things that way than doing things the way that they do now.

Frankly, I think people here should stop telling other people to go find a different cruise line. If enough people do that and Celebrity looses enough money in the process then we will all end up looking for another cruise line.

Well said "Ocean Boy" it's a business and business translates into money. Celebrity is no different than any other line as far getting/keeping revenues going. They'll do their homework/demographics and go where the $$$ is. From what I'm reading it's the X generation/baby boomer's.

Ocean Boy : what exacly is it that makes Celebrity a "higher class"??

SS Cruise Lady: In my opinion, "having class" has nothing to do with prestige or socio-economic class, but is descriptive of a person's personality traits. People "with class" usually feel good about who they are, so they don't need to boost their egos by constantly being the center of attention or raining on someone else's parade. Instead they tend to be more concerned about other people's feelings and strive to make those around them feel comfortable.

Loved your comments! "You're truly a class act." Kudos to "SS Cruise Lady." ;)

You are totally correct... it works both ways. The question becomes how do you make everyone happy? I have no idea. Celebrity doesn't want to loose either group of people. Apparently they feel that they have found the best compromise that they could come up with.

Archived