A different question about changing after dinner

espmass

But Ford WILL start making purple cars if they figure out enough people want it that it will improve their market share.

Why not just buy from the manufacturer who can provide the right color now? As passionate as some people seem to be about their preferences, it would seem the best approach to buy the product that suites you best. If all the other aspects of the vehicle appeal to you more than what the other brands offer, it seems that the consumer could buy a green car, and be just as happy.

Why not just buy from the manufacturer who can provide the right color now? As passionate as some people seem to be about their preferences, it would seem the best approach to buy the product that suites you best. If all the other aspects of the vehicle appeal to you more than what the other brands offer, it seems that the consumer could buy a green car, and be just as happy.

I've never cruised Celebrity, but have booked a cruise for next year because I like the itinerary and the price. I don't know if Celebrity will be the right cruise line for my family but I'm willing to give it a try.

We aren't especially formal people but will adhere to the dress code for dinner. However, if I see a lot of people changing into more comfortable clothes after dinner, I'm liable to do the same. If the cruise line allows this, it is because they know that a certain percent of their customers prefer this and are willing to accomodate them. If the cruise line doesn't allow it, people like me will adhere to their required dress code or choose a different line. It seems that some would prefer that Celebrity do just this, chase people away for not adhering to the dress code.

The thing that I really do not understand is why it bothers others how I am dressed. I could understand if I wasn't wearing any clothes. If my style of dress reflects poorly on me, then so be it, why let it become your problem? Why let it poison your atmosphere?

The last thing I will remember about a cruise is how many people failed to conform to the dress standard.

I have never understood why someone would book a cruise that has formal evenings and informal evenings, then want to dress down.

I agree with this totally.

I also want to add that dressing down (in my eyes) for the most part has nothing to do with class, just preference. Although I like to dress up and will thoroughly enjoy the experience on my first upcoming X criuise, my DH and I have always remained formal all evening on our previous cruises which were not on Celebrity, but Carnival. Because the policy on Carnival states formal attire is 'requested', this gives the people who prefer the option of dressing down an out because 'requested' does not mean 'required' to some people. Add to that the fact that other cruise lines like Carnival don't enforce the request and you have a more casual atmosphere...which there is nothing wrong with if that's what you want.

If dressing up isn't for you, that's fine. It doesn't mean you have a lack of class (as some here may like to think) it just means you prefer being casual. BUT Celebrity requires you to be formal...so if casual is more your style then Celebrity probably isn't the cruise line for you. Because my DH & I wanted to experience formal where everyone is indeed formal, I hope I'm not disappointed when I sail the Infinity next year.

You X-ers pump up this line quite a bit, I hope it's as great as ya'll say it is. ;)

Because the policy on Carnival states formal attire is 'requested', this gives the people who prefer the option of dressing down an out because 'requested' does not mean 'required' to some people. Add to that the fact that other cruise lines like Carnival don't enforce the request and you have a more casual atmosphere...

...BUT Celebrity requires you to be formal...so if casual is more your style then Celebrity probably isn't the cruise line for you...

But that's just it, Celebrity doesn't require you to be formal. At least that is not the impression given by the information they relate PRIOR to booking. Here's a quote direct from Celebrity's Dress Code FAQs:

For the formal nights' date=' including the [b']Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise[/b]; both men and women may prefer [emphasis mine] more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

Their Dress Code FAQs also talks about their casual dining service without ever mentioning that if you use it, you are then expected to confine yourself to the cabin or remain on Lido deck for the entire evening.

Celebrity Cruises has implemented a casual dining service on its five ships. Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise' date=' depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the Palm Springs Grill and pool area on the Mercury and at the Oasis Grill and pool area on the Galaxy. On the Horizon casual dining is offered in the Coral Seas Cafe and on the Zenith, in the Windsurf Cafe. On the Century casual dining is available in the Sky Bar. On our newest ships, casual dining is offered at the Seaside Grill and pool on the Constellation, the Oceanview Grill and pool area on the Infinity, the Ocean Grill on the Millennium and the Waterfall Grill on the Summit.[/quote']

Everything stated in the above could lead a person to believe:

1) That you may prefer to dress formally on nights designated as formal. This implies that it is also acceptable if you prefer not to. This seems even more wishy-washy than Carnival who at least says formalwear is requested.

2) That formal night only applies to Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise and that casual alternative dining is available if you wish not to dress formally for those events. No mention is made as to what you may prefer to wear once dinner is over.

It seems as though the only place they inform you that formal is required and expected throughout the entire ship is in the newsletters you receive only after boarding. This is a little too late as most people base their decisions on the information available before booking.

I think all this wishy-washy language coupled with the lack of enforcement only goes to prove that dewayneg is right:

If the cruise line allows this, it is because they know that a certain percent of their customers prefer this and are willing to accomodate them. If the cruise line doesn't allow it, people like me will adhere to their required dress code or choose a different line. It seems that some would prefer that Celebrity do just this, chase people away for not adhering to the dress code.

Since I have yet to see Celebrity or any other mass market cruiseline chase away a paying customer, I have to assume that they are willing to accomodate.

I have cruised 5 times and have yet to have my good time influenced by something someone else was or was not dressed in. To be honest I never even notice what anyone else is wearing unless they are with me. I was just on my first Celebrity cruise last month aboard the Summit and I can tell you that I have no idea who wore what during the evenings after dinner, because quite frankly I just don't care. I don't understand why people get so upset about this subject....wear what makes you comfortable and if what someone else is wearing bothers you to the point of ruining your cruise, maybe the person you are cruising with isn't very good company and that is why all of your attention is on the fashions of your fellow cruisers.

BTW-I love to dress up for formal night and I am so self centered that I think if everyone else changes after dinner into something more casual it will only make me look better!

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

First, to Halos, an apology for my poor choice of words on my original thread on this subject that I started over the weekend. Please don't get the impression that I am a snob. In reality I am probably as down to earth as it gets, I just like to dress up on cruise ships. As mentioned in the post previouse to mine, Carnival does not emphasized remaining in formal attire after dinner the way the Celebrity does in it's daily's. Having not actually ever been on a Carnival Cruise, I can only judge the experience through shows on the Travel Channel and shows like Shipmates (Blind Date on a cruise ship) and discussions with friends who have been on Carnival. Anyway, the atmosphere appears considerably less formal in the "Party" venues like the disco and the karaoke bar, than what I experienced on my one Celebrity cruise. So I apploogize for what came out as a dig against Carnival.

Second, to comment on this in general...if Celebrity would use the same language in thier Marketing Liturature, Pre-Cruise Literature that they do in thier Daily, I think that expectations would be much more clear to all.

[quote name='1) That you [B']may prefer[/B] to dress formally on nights designated as formal. This implies that it is also acceptable if you prefer not to. .[/quote]

In cultivated and polite society, the phrases "you may prefer", "you are requested" and "it is required" are gentle ways of saying "Just put on the dadburned coat and tie". Any other interpretation is boorish.

[quote=WeBeCruisin']In cultivated and polite society, the phrases "you may prefer", "you are requested" and "it is required" are gentle ways of saying "Just put on the dadburned coat and tie". Any other interpretation is boorish.[/quote]

That may be true, however, I was responding to the previous post by "halos" that stated that Celebrity was more formal because they had a [B]required[/B] dress code, whereas Carnival's dress code is only [B]requested.[/B] I was just pointing out that Celebrity's dress code is just as wishy-washy as Carnival's and gives those not wishing to dress formally as many "outs".

My main issue is not really about dressing for dinner in the main dining room, as I think anybody can agree that on all cruiselines formal wear is expected in the main dining room on formal nights, despite the wishy-washy language and lack of enforcement. My issue is with what happens after dinner. If they are going to offer and advertise a casual dining alternative, then they had better make it perfectly clear in all advertising and pre-cruise literature that the casual dining area is the [B]ONLY[/B] place where casualwear is acceptable on formal nights. From what I have seen, they fail miserably in doing that. They have to expect that people are going to be upset and noncompliant if they find out only after boarding the ship that they have limited entertainment options if they use the casual dining.

It is correct that you should not choose a more formal cruiseline if you don't like to dress formally, but how is anybody to make that distinction about Celebrity based on their advertising? Their dress code reads pretty much like all the others and gives no indication that they are any different in their expectations. That is the point I was trying to make.

[quote name='luv2cruise99']That may be true, however, I was responding to the previous post by "halos" that stated that Celebrity was more formal because they had a [B]required[/B] dress code, whereas Carnival's dress code is only [B]requested.[/B] I was just pointing out that Celebrity's dress code is just as wishy-washy as Carnival's and gives those not wishing to dress formally as many "outs".

My main issue is not really about dressing for dinner in the main dining room, as I think anybody can agree that on all cruiselines formal wear is expected in the main dining room on formal nights, despite the wishy-washy language and lack of enforcement. My issue is with what happens after dinner. If they are going to offer and advertise a casual dining alternative, then they had better make it perfectly clear in all advertising and pre-cruise literature that the casual dining area is the [B]ONLY[/B] place where casualwear is acceptable on formal nights. From what I have seen, they fail miserably in doing that. They have to expect that people are going to be upset and noncompliant if they find out only after boarding the ship that they have limited entertainment options if they use the casual dining.

It is correct that you should not choose a more formal cruiseline if you don't like to dress formally, but how is anybody to make that distinction about Celebrity based on their advertising? Their dress code reads pretty much like all the others and gives no indication that they are any different in their expectations. That is the point I was trying to make.[/quote]
Point well taken! I guess the evidence you've presented in black/white(well maybe color)lol... speaks for itself.
Truly, you did a good job of doing your homework. I sure couldn't nor do I even remotely(ugh) want to argue w/what you've just shown.
Good work luv2cruise. ;)
P.S. For me, I say "case closed" luv2cruise is the winner in my book. ;) :cool:

I always follow the suggested dress codes because that's how my parents brought me up. I do appreciate the choice of an individual to wear what is most comfortable. I don't pay that much attention to those who decide to be less than formal or semi-formal. It's a vacation. I'm not going to stress over what someone else does or doesn't wear. I guess I have been living in San Francisco too long.

[quote name='dewayneg']It seems to be that all of the formality of dinner and aftwards is a throwback to when only the most elite could cruise. [quote]Far from it. Back in the dark ages (1960) when people were still using ships to make trans-Atlantic voyages -- they were the least expensive approach to such travel -- because airfare was far too costly ($600 one way in [U]1960[/U] dollars, NY to Paris!!!), even those travelling Tourist (3rd) Class were expected to 'dress' for dinner!

Has no one any sense of history?

As I don't have either the cruise docs or dailies from many of the lines, it still seemed an interesting idea to at least see what "the other folks" were posting on the web regarding evening attire.. Drum roll...

Naw, first I've got to say, the NCL was the funniest doggone set of evening attire rules I've ever seen! Another poster noted these the other day, but didn't say where she'd got them!

OK then...

[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Carnival[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Is there a dress code for the dining room? [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Norwegian[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Dress Code in Dining Rooms [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Freestyle Cruising gives our guests the freedom to dress as they please. Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. However, NCL/ NCLA does not allow any blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of our fine dining restaurants for dinner, including all main restaurants, alternative restaurants, and cover charge venues. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Guests are allowed to wear blue jeans, shorts and t-shirts, in the evenings at the buffets, outdoor barbeques, and 24-hour venues, such as the Blue Lagoon, the Cadillac diner, etc. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Below are a few exceptions to the dining room dress code:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Blue Jeans will be allowed in all dining rooms on all Houston departures, due to the Texas culture. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Blue Jeans will be allowed in the Trattoria's in the evenings. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Bermuda shorts with knee high socks, or Scottish kilts with knee highs will also be allowed in all dining rooms in Bermuda as these are considered formal dress in Bermuda.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Hawaiian shirts are allowed with proper slacks in all dining rooms. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Ladies Capri Pants, which are a length between the knee and ankles, are acceptable in all fine dining rooms as long as they are not blue jean capris.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]RCCL[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]What are the dress codes onboard?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]5 -night cruises include one formal and four casual nights.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four or six casual nights.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]10 to 13-night cruises include two formal nights, two smart casual nights, and six or nine casual nights.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Holland America[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Evening dress falls into three distinct categories. Each night a daily program will be delivered to your stateroom announcing the suggested dress for the following evening. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours. During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]On festive formal evenings, women usually wear cocktail dresses or gowns and men usually wear business suits or tuxedos. There are approximately two formal nights per week. (Gentlemen: Although business suits or tuxedos are suggested attire for formal evenings, they are certainly not required. You are welcome to wear a jacket and tie on formal nights.) Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use for the duration of your cruise. Just call Cruise Line Formalwear at 800-551-5091 to reserve and it will be ready in your stateroom when you board. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Princess[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]ONBOARD ATTIRE[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Princess has made it easier than ever to know what to pack and what to wear when you're onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Smart Casual Evenings: [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] • Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] • Pants and open-neck shirts for men [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Formal Evenings: [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] • Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] • Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men[/FONT][/SIZE]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Disney[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]What should I wear to dinner?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Dining Dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual" -- no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]On 3-night cruises: [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]First night: cruise casual — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Second night: pirate or tropical deck party [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Final night: "dress-up night" — jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]On 4-night cruises: [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]First night: cruise casual — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]One pirate or tropical night (deck party) [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]One "dress-up night" — jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Final night: cruise casual — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]On 7-night cruises: [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Three additional "cruise casual" nights — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]One pirate or tropical night (deck party) [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]One formal and one semi-formal night — formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Radisson[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Q: What is the dress code on board the ships?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]A: Shipboard attire ranges from Country Club casual to informal to formal. Country Club casual (resort-style attire) is appropriate for daytime on board or ashore. Shorts are not appropriate after 6 p.m. in any of the public rooms or lounges. Guests are asked not to wear bathing suits in the restaurants and lounges at any time. Evening attire can be Country Club casual, informal (sport coat and tie recommended), or formal (black tie optional). Evening dress codes begins at 6 p.m.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Q: How can I find the dress code for each sailing?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]A: Depending on your itinerary the dress code varies by ship and location. In your documents it states how many formal nights there are, and once on board, the suggested evening dress code is listed on the front page of your ship's daily newsletter.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Q: How many formal nights are on a sailing? [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]A: Typically a 7-night cruise has 1 formal night. Longer voyages may have 2 or more formal nights. Dress code for Alaska, Bermuda and Tahiti sailings is Country Club casual ( formal attire is not required) and Mediterranean and others have one formal night on 7 night cruises. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Crystal[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Each evening on a Crystal cruise has a specific dress code, which applies to all public areas of the ship after 6 pm. Guests find that the occasional formal evenings create a special atmosphere in contrast to the other more informal evenings on board. The three codes of attire are casual, informal and formal. Typically, 10- to 14-day cruises have three formal nights. The number of informal nights is usually based on the number of days at sea, and casual nights are based on days in port and the time of departure.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Formal Evening Attire[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]We recommend evening dresses and gowns of fashionable length for ladies, and a tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit and tie for gentlemen.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Informal Evening Attire[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Informal attire is appropriate for most evenings on board. For ladies, evening dresses, cocktail dresses or pantsuits are suitable. For gentlemen, we suggest sport coats and slacks; ties are optional.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Casual Evening Attire[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]On casual evenings, a more relaxed attire is accepted, such as casual dresses and pantsuits for ladies, and sport shirts and slacks for gentlemen. Ties and jackets are not required.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Silversea[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Unspecified[/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Costa[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]There is usually one formal gala to which ladies will wish to wear long gowns or cocktail-length dresses; gentlemen may choose either tuxedos or dark suits. Number of formal nights may vary depending on cruise length and itinerary. On other evenings, resort attire is the norm.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=5]Seabourn[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Q: What sort of clothing should I pack for my journey with Seabourn? [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]A: Attire for Evening[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]One of the great pleasures of cruising aboard Seabourn Pride, Spirit and Legend is the glamour of evenings at sea. Guests appreciate the contrast between the special atmosphere of formal evenings, which occur two nights during a one-week cruise and three to four nights, depending on the itinerary, on a two-week cruise, and the more informal ambiance that prevails on other evenings. Each day in the ship's program, a dress advisory designates appropriate attire for The Restaurant after 6:00 pm. It will be specified as one of the following:[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Formal: Tuxedo (alternatively a dark suit) for men, evening gown or other formal attire for women. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Elegant Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Sun-dresses, skirts or pants with a sweater or blouse for women.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Casual wear is welcomed in the Veranda Café on evenings when dinner is served there.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Casual: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I hate to say it I'm going to add a few comments - to make this thread even longer!

1. How you dress does not define how much class you have - Some of the classiest people I know do not dress up at all. Some of the people I know with the LEAST class commonly dress up to cover up their lack of class. BTW - this in NO WAY means that if you dress up you don't have class, you likely do... It's just a socio-comment.

2. I need people to know that I chose my cruise (Millenium, Mar 19 - Chile to Florida) not on the fact that people dress up or they don't... I chose it becuase of the route, the timing and the quality of the cruise line - I want you to know that dress attire did not factor into it at all. I have read so many posts that say, "why did people choose a cruise line with a dress code if..." - there are so many factors in choosing the cruise line... please don't make it so 2 dimensional.

3. I started wearing a tie in grade 1. I had to wear a tie all the way to grade 12 - every week day. During university I did not have to... I wear a tie every day to work... I will dress up for formal nights, but guess what - the tie is coming off after dinner. Why? BECAUSE I'M ON VACATION!

My solemn oath - I will not judge people who don't want to dress up. I will not judge people who tell me I should put my tie back on... Why? ...becuase I'll be on vacation.

[quote name='A-n-T']I hate to say it I'm going to add a few comments - to make this thread even longer!

1. How you dress does not define how much class you have - Some of the classiest people I know do not dress up at all. Some of the people I know with the LEAST class commonly dress up to cover up their lack of class. BTW - this in NO WAY means that if you dress up you don't have class, you likely do... It's just a socio-comment.

2. I need people to know that I chose my cruise (Millenium, Mar 19 - Chile to Florida) not on the fact that people dress up or they don't... I chose it becuase of the route, the timing and the quality of the cruise line - I want you to know that dress attire did not factor into it at all. I have read so many posts that say, "why did people choose a cruise line with a dress code if..." - there are so many factors in choosing the cruise line... please don't make it so 2 dimensional.

QUOTE]

I do not agree with your comments. I do think that a compoent class has to do with how people present themselves. While being well dressed and well groomed does not guarantee class, I personally have never known someone who I would consider "classy" that would choose to dress sloppily or disregard clothing guidelines, be it for a cruise or an event. I personally would consider this to be arrogant or ignorant, depending on the person.

Also, while there are some who feel they must be told explicitly (i.e., use of the word "required" instead of "recommended), every single evening of my last X cruise it was clearly stated in the daily that X sincerely requested that all passengers adhere to the suggested guidelines for attire so that X could priovide the onboard atmosphere for which they are known. People still chose to wear jeans and flip flops! Does this show a total lack of class and disregard for others? IMO, absolutely!

I thought I might try to make an analogy between cruise ship formal nights and other black tie events.

The most famous one is of course The Acadamy Awards.

What would you think if Nicole Kidman or Halle Barry chose to show up in dockers and sweater set instead of the beautiful gowns they choose to wear.

Or if Tom Cruise showed up in jeans and a leather jacket.

I'd think that Nicole and Halle must really not care about thier fans or the members of the acadamy, because they didn't honor the requested dress.

Or I 'd think that Tom must be going through a mid life crisis, oh wait I think it's been documented that he actually is. :D

What would you think? What would the press think? What would thier piers think?

I use this as an example, because we all know what it is and what is expected....There are other blacktie events, many that we regular people attend, but I used the Oscars as universal reference.

The point of the formal nights, described in different ways among all the lines is to provide for a more elegant, special evening.

I want that when I cruise!

[quote name='luv2cruise99']That may be true, however, I was responding to the previous post by "halos" that stated that Celebrity was more formal because they had a [B]required[/B] dress code, whereas Carnival's dress code is only [B]requested.[/B] I was just pointing out that Celebrity's dress code is just as wishy-washy as Carnival's and gives those not wishing to dress formally as many "outs".

It is correct that you should not choose a more formal cruiseline if you don't like to dress formally, but how is anybody to make that distinction about Celebrity based on their advertising? Their dress code reads pretty much like all the others and gives no indication that they are any different in their expectations. That is the point I was trying to make.[/QUOTE]

You're right...I don't know why I honestly thought I saw the word "required' someplace...... I did find this, but it isn't exactly definitive either:

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Evening Dress Codes
Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire
Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress
Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire
Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse
Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire
Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit
Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm.
Evening dress codes apply to main restaurant dining. Specialty restaurant dining*, requires a jacket for gentlemen and a dress or pants and a blouse for ladies every night.[/COLOR]

Well, all I know for sure is that I'll be dressed...all evening. :)
and I'm sure I'll have a great time because I just love cruising, no matter what the itinerary, which line, OR who wears what. :)

[quote name='Cruise Arizona']I thought I might try to make an analogy between cruise ship formal nights and other black tie events.

The most famous one is of course The Acadamy Awards.

What would you think if Nicole Kidman or Halle Barry chose to show up in dockers and sweater set instead of the beautiful gowns they choose to wear.

Or if Tom Cruise showed up in jeans and a leather jacket.

I'd think that Nicole and Halle must really not care about thier fans or the members of the acadamy, because they didn't honor the requested dress.

Or I 'd think that Tom must be going through a mid life crisis, oh wait I think it's been documented that he actually is. :D

What would you think? What would the press think? What would thier piers think?

I use this as an example, because we all know what it is and what is expected....There are other blacktie events, many that we regular people attend, but I used the Oscars as universal reference.

The point of the formal nights, described in different ways among all the lines is to provide for a more elegant, special evening.

I want that when I cruise![/QUOTE]
Personally, I think Kidman would look much nicer in dockers and sweater than in a "gown" that has to use tape to keep her much too anorexic looking body form exposing parts that shouldn't be seen (unless you are on Orient Beach). Much of that "formal dress" is hardly what I would consider respectful.

[quote name='Cruise Arizona']I thought I might try to make an analogy between cruise ship formal nights and other black tie events.[/quote]...snip...[quote name='Cruise Arizona']What would you think if Nicole Kidman or Halle Barry chose to show up in dockers and sweater set instead of the beautiful gowns they choose to wear.

Or if Tom Cruise showed up in jeans and a leather jacket.[/quote]...snip...[quote name='Cruise Arizona']I'd think that Nicole and Halle must really not care about thier fans or the members of the acadamy, because they didn't honor the requested dress.

Or I 'd think that Tom must be going through a mid life crisis, oh wait I think it's been documented that he actually is. :D[/quote]Another picture altogether popped into my head as I was reading your post -- Tom Cruise showing up in Nicole's "beautiful gown". Now [U]that'd[/U] be a midlife crisis!

[quote name='canderson']...snip......snip...Another picture altogether popped into my head as I was reading your post -- Tom Cruise showing up in Nicole's "beautiful gown". Now [U]that'd[/U] be a midlife crisis![/QUOTE]
But he might actually look better in that beautiful gown than some of the women do!:eek: :D

Cruise Arizona: I thought I might try to make an analogy between cruise ship formal nights and other black tie events....

SS Cruise Lady: That is a good analogy. Here is another one that should hit close to home. How would you feel if you had a "black tie" wedding reception for either yourself or a daughter/son and one of your guests arrived wearing casual slacks?

[quote name='Ocean Boy']Personally, I think Kidman would look much nicer in dockers and sweater than in a "gown" that has to use tape to keep her much too anorexic looking body form exposing parts that shouldn't be seen (unless you are on Orient Beach). Much of that "formal dress" is hardly what I would consider respectful.[/QUOTE]

see...everone has different preferences.

If I looked like N. Kidman, I'd run around naked all the time. I'd be on one of those nudist cruises. ;) :p

I had always thought "public areas" meant every where on the ship besides your cabin.

After reading these posts I'm now wondering if public areas means only the areas that are fancier, in that they have comfy or heavily padded chairs, such as the lounges and the theatre, the lobby, but NOT the casino, casual dining blvd, pool, spa, ELEVATORS, STAIRWELLS. Any comments, please?

On our first cruise my husband was ill the last few days and ordered room service while I went on to the dining room for main seating. I noted that in the elevators there were people who were still in shorts and flip flops, and I wondered if they were doing a casual evening, or just had second seating. After having read these boards I was very aware of dress codes.

On the last formal night I returned to the cabin and found him gone. I wandered around looking for him. He had apparently felt better and decided to go to the casino, wearing shorts and an Hawaiian shirt. I told him he wasn't dressed appropriately to be in a public area on a formal night. He told me to look around. Most people were still in formal wear but some had dressed down. I was confused.

On my second cruise (DH decided not to go since he didn't want to dress up) I had second seating so was in the T pool during first seating, and had a spa appointment that ended just when people were returning from main seating, wearing their formal attire in the elevator, while i was not only dressed down in a swimsuit coverup, but had had the frangipani head massage, so had very disordered hair as well! I felt ill at ease so said, "Please excuse my appearance, but I've just come from the spa." The conversation was then how lucky I was to have been etc. But it still raised the question of the mixing of formal and very casual clothes, even in an elevator. There's really no other way to get from the pool to a stateroom without getting on an elevator or descending the stairs.

I've been to casinos on land and always "dressed" for the occasion, but saw that many people were in jeans or even shorts. So maybe some people think of a casino as not formal, since they do have hot dog stands within, and that's why there'd be a mixture of styles on the ships.

I've been to the theater on land, and did not see anyone wearing casual clothing. So most people must consider this a dress up affair. I personally have not seen people dressed down for the theater on board, but you guys say you have. I've not been to a rock concert, but do you suppose anyone dresses formally for them? Maybe rock concert attendees think of the theater as a place for their music. ha

Do you suppose this conflict has to do with generations, education about what to wear to events, comfort pure and simple, rebellion or what?

I guess DH had the right attire after all. Formal night - bathrobe and baseball cap. Informal night - bathrobe without baseball cap. Egads, let's just hope he doesn't "dress down" on casual night, because that would signal a whole new wardrobe for everyone else on board...BLINDFOLD NIGHT!

I think it's on that other thread on basically the same subject where Char posted a link to a Daily. In the Daily its says "Required mode of Dress" and then lists what is formal, or informal. And then it does say the dress code should be maintained through-out the public areas of the ship.

However the pre-cruise liturature and website information uses the words like "suggested" and "May", which I think leads to this confusion.

Ocean Boy,

How did I know that you were going to take the counter point to my point???
Will we ever agree on any thing????

On the subject of weddings,

I've been to weddings were 99% of the guest were dressed appropriately, but one jerk showed up in hiking boots, golf shorts and a startched button down. I worked with the guy in our office every day, so I knew he had much more appropriate attire in is wardrobe, and I found it very offensive. This was when I was about 25, and I have to say I wasn't the most mature person in the world, but I went right up to him and said "Nice of you to get so dressed up for the wedding, I sure the bride and groom really appreciate you putting so much thought into your outfit".

Now today, I wouldn't even dream of getting my self so upset or saying anything to him. I've learned to be more polite and blow things off in my old age of 38, but would I still take notice and think he was being disrespectful to the wedding hosts, absolutely.

Would I allow myself to worry about it, probably not. Also, I knew the guy, so knowing that he should know better probably motivated me.

I wouldn't be so judgemental of a stranger, I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

I just wish that people didn't feel like they have a right to violate the codes just because they paid for the cruise.

Archived