A different question about changing after dinner

espmass

I think you just did a nice job of finding your own compromise. You'll change into casual clothes after dinner, guessing you dressed-up for dinner? Great compromise.....:)

Ok. I can see we digress here from what you 'know' was the intent behind the post. Funny, yes, but, do you have an answer for the question or not?

Ok. I can see we digress here from what you 'know' was the intent behind the post. Funny, yes, but, do you have an answer for the question or not?

I think the issue is that the compromise is not between two passengers. It is between the passenger and Celebrity. So lets try this one----> I'll dress for dinner. You will let me dress down afterwards. And in return you can deposit my $1800.00 check in your bank account.<----- There you go.

I'm not sure about the funny part, did I miss it? :confused: I think the answer is right in front of you tbelian, it's about compromise. You understand that don't you?

If, you asked a different question than what we've already discussed then I missed it. Sorry! Otherwise, I think the rest speaks for itself.

Happy Sailings...:)

I think the issue is that the compromise is not between two passengers. It is between the passenger and Celebrity. So lets try this one----> I'll dress for dinner. You will let me dress down afterwards. And in return you can deposit my $1800.00 check in your bank account.<----- There you go.

Keep going "Ocean Boy" you've got it down......;)

The way I see it, if Celebrity is going to offer a casual dining alternative then they have to expect that people are going to use these services and than migrate afterwards to other areas of the ship to enjoy the evening's entertainment.

When I see statements such as the quote below from Celebrity's website, I think "oh boy, I don't have to dress formally!". It never occurs to me that they may mean for me to then confine myself to the cabin or remain in the pool area after dinner. If that is in fact what they do mean, then they need to make that clear on ALL pre-cruise advertising that mentions a casual alternative. Reading that the dress code applies to all public areas in the newsletter once onboard ship is just too little, too late.

Celebrity Cruises has implemented a casual dining service on its five ships. Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise' date=' depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the Palm Springs Grill and pool area on the Mercury and at the Oasis Grill and pool area on the Galaxy. On the Horizon casual dining is offered in the Coral Seas Cafe and on the Zenith, in the Windsurf Cafe. On the Century casual dining is available in the Sky Bar. On our newest ships, casual dining is offered at the Seaside Grill and pool on the Constellation, the Oceanview Grill and pool area on the Infinity, the Ocean Grill on the Millennium and the Waterfall Grill on the Summit.[/quote']

So lets try this one----> I'll dress for dinner. You will let me dress down afterwards. And in return you can deposit my $1800.00 check in your bank account.<----- There you go.

Yup, that's the spirit. You are paying the money, so you get to do what you want. Isn't that really the 'common thread' to all this anyway? If they gave you the cruise for free, they could tell you to dress in a clown suit, and you really wouldn't have much say in it, would you? Free cruise-clown suit, no clown suit, no free cruise. BUT, since they are charging you money, you get to do what you want? That's how I read it. Otherwise, why mention 'da mone'?

What I understand is there is some cage rattling happening for purposes of amusement. I'm all for it. Let's all go join the circus and give up the rat race.

Sorry, if you were somehow offended tbelian. My comments were not at all for the purposes you mentioned. There are those who have no other way of communicating but to be mean/nasty in every/any response. I'm not one of those. I don't see this as a circus and would appreciate it if you wouldn't imply that I do.

I do think we've beat a dead horse to death and am moving on.....

Yup, that's the spirit. You are paying the money, so you get to do what you want. Isn't that really the 'common thread' to all this anyway? If they gave you the cruise for free, they could tell you to dress in a clown suit, and you really wouldn't have much say in it, would you? Free cruise-clown suit, no clown suit, no free cruise. BUT, since they are charging you money, you get to do what you want? That's how I read it. Otherwise, why mention 'da mone'?

You asked a question. I gave you an answer. It seems to be good enough for Celebrity. When they decide that they don't like the deal anymore they will start enforcing their rules. You still don't get it. Celebrity isn't about YOU or ME. Celebrity is about their bottom line. So why do I mention the money? Because without it Celebrity doesn't let me on their ship. They don't ask me what I plan to wear after dinner. They ask for my VISA number.

And, if I had to wear the clown suit I wouldn't take the free cruise. That is a fact. I'm not a good compromiser. It is also why I'm mostly cruising RCI these days.

You asked a question. I gave you an answer. It seems to be good enough for Celebrity. When they decide that they don't like the deal anymore they will start enforcing their rules. You still don't get it. Celebrity isn't about YOU or ME. Celebrity is about their bottom line. So why do I mention the money? Because without it Celebrity doesn't let me on their ship. They don't ask me what I plan to wear after dinner. They ask for my VISA number.

And, if I had to wear the clown suit I wouldn't take the free cruise. That is a fact. I'm not a good compromiser. It is also why I'm mostly cruising RCI these days.

Thank you.

I have cruised 5 times and have yet to have my good time influenced by something someone else was or was not dressed in. To be honest I never even notice what anyone else is wearing unless they are with me. I was just on my first Celebrity cruise last month aboard the Summit and I can tell you that I have no idea who wore what during the evenings after dinner, because quite frankly I just don't care. I don't understand why people get so upset about this subject....wear what makes you comfortable and if what someone else is wearing bothers you to the point of ruining your cruise, maybe the person you are cruising with isn't very good company and that is why all of your attention is on the fashions of your fellow cruisers.

BTW-I love to dress up for formal night and I am so self centered that I think if everyone else changes after dinner into something more casual it will only make me look better!

I have cruised 5 times and have yet to have my good time influenced by something someone else was or was not dressed in. To be honest I never even notice what anyone else is wearing unless they are with me. I was just on my first Celebrity cruise last month aboard the Summit and I can tell you that I have no idea who wore what during the evenings after dinner, because quite frankly I just don't care. I don't understand why people get so upset about this subject....wear what makes you comfortable and if what someone else is wearing bothers you to the point of ruining your cruise, maybe the person you are cruising with isn't very good company and that is why all of your attention is on the fashions of your fellow cruisers.

BTW-I love to dress up for formal night and I am so self centered that I think if everyone else changes after dinner into something more casual it will only make me look better!

My feelings exactly.

Now, that's the way to cruise.....;)

The fact that Celebrity won't enforce their own rules is one of the reasons I have taken my money elsewhere. The formal experience is something X claims it will deliver but doesn't so as has been noted before I voted with my feet until it changes.

I also have to admit I love the definition of compromise here "I get to do what I want and you get to not bother me about it" each party gets something I guess.

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the "Real Reason" that people change after dinner. They all ate too much at dinner and the formal wear is now too tight. A casually dressed passenger is much less offensive than an exploding passenger!:eek:

I love formal wear but do confess to changing for the above reason.:D

Having read all this thread, and looking at it from as many points of view as I can I always come to the same conclusion. I have choosen to travel on a "formal" cruise line, because this is the sort of holiday I want, and therefore I would not dress down as I feel this would detract from other peoples experience (if you showed people photos of your formal cruise, and in the background of the picture was me in a pair of jeans, I think you would feel cheated). P&O which is the sister company to Princess, do still maintain high standards I believe. As this is my first cruise with X, I hope they do also. If in the future I wish to go on a less formal cruise, then I will travel with a less formal cruise line. Not any less of a holiday, but different.

I spent a lot of time lurking on the Celebrity board here at CC after I booked my first cruise aboard Mercury a few years ago. I honestly felt I had made a huge mistake. I was not new to cruising; just new to Celebrity, and what I was reading back then in 2002 about the dress code (similar to what is still being said about Celebrity today), really turned me off.

I enjoy dressing up for formal night, but based on what people were writing on the computer, I really got the impression that Celebrity was quite formal - that people dressed up most nights! That was NOT the case in 2002 nor was it on my most recent cruise a few weeks ago. In the two Celebrity cruises I have under my belt - one 7 night and one 5 night - I have found people pretty much dress the same as they did on Royal Caribbean. Thank goodness; most people wore nice resort casual clothing to dinner on both casual and informal nights. Unfortunately, I listened to what was being said here at CC, and brought way too many dressy clothing - made my husband wear a shirt, tie and jacket to dinner most nights when he could have worn dockers and a polo shirt! We both agreed that Celebrity was not much different than Royal Caribbean, and will gladly cruise the line again.

We are not slobs, and both of us adhere to the suggested dress code for the evening. But we can also see what others wear, and passengers, from what I could tell, at late dining, just never got as dressed up as many people here at CC lead you to believe! There was no distinction made between informal and casual - go figure!

I just thought I would mention this, since the information here at CC can be a little misleading to some cruising Celebrity for the first time.

It seems to be that all of the formality of dinner and aftwards is a throwback to when only the most elite could cruise. Now that cruising has become more affordable, the middle class is able to cruise, and a lot of us aren't used to wearing formal attire. I'm not offering this as an excuse, only an observation.

I agree that the cruiseline is being purposefully vague about their "policy" (casual dining but formal wear afterward?) and this is what is really creating the problem. Clearly, a lot of people cruising these days do not want to dress formally. And clearly a lot of people do desire to dress up. The question is, can those two groups cruise together without one group feeling that the other has spoiled their atmosphere?

I am of the opinion that evening attire should be at least equal to what you would wear to a nice restaurant. If I want to dress up (and sometimes I do), it isn't going to bother me that the guy sitting at the next table over isn't wearing a tie or sports jacket.

For myself, if the cruise line suggests formal for dinner, I'll be in formal, but I will probably change to a pair of slacks and dress shirt for the show afterwards because sitting through dinner in a tux is punishment enough.

. In the two Celebrity cruises I have under my belt - one 7 night and one 5 night - I have found people pretty much dress the same as they did on Royal Caribbean. .

I think the length of the cruise may have something to do with the extent of formal dress. Our three Celebrity cruises have been for 8 days, 11 days, and 14 days, and the amount of formality definitely seemed to correspond with the length of the cruise.

We've also been on five Royal Caribbean cruises ranging from 7 days to 12 days, and the same thing seemed to occur on those trips..... shorter cruises were less formal and longer ones more so.

Allen

Sorry, if you were somehow offended tbelian. My comments were not at all for the purposes you mentioned.

I'm not offeded, even a little bit. In fact, despite what some might interpret from what I post, what someone else wears on the cruise, before, during, or after any time frame, formal, informal or casual, really doesn't matter to 'me' personally.

That said, my position is, going back to a previous analogy I used, if you want to drive a ford, drive a ford, if you want to drive a chrsyler, by all means drive a chrysler. BUT, once you have picked your brand, then stick with it. If ford doesn't make purple cars, and you have to have a purple car, then you wouldn't buy a ford. Likewise, if Celebrity wants to establish an 'atmosphere' and atmosphere means diddly to you, then you have other choices. To insist that ford start making purple cars is ludicrous.

Archived