A different question about changing after dinner

espmass

It seems to me that those whose vocabularies are limited to referring to elegance or sohpistication as "classy" rarely have any genuine elegance or sophisitiation themselves. This may be the reason that they cling to the need to elevate themselves by lowering others. Those with self-confidence in these matters find their validation in their own conduct, not in reference to others.

Flame me, but seeing opinions on dress code ensures I will never sign up for a cc get together. I will find interesting people based upon the entire population of the ship.

Not meant to be a flame but I think your judging all people on CC by the few of us that are extremely vocal about our dress code opions, one way or the other.

I seen no reason not to meet people from CC or going to the get together.

The tone of the roll call for my cruise is nothing like the general Celebrity discussion. Everybody is really nice and I don't think there has been one post on the subject of dress code. I guess we are nice because we KNOW we'll all be "in the same boat" so to speak.

So I am planning on going to the CC Party, If I like the poeple great, if I don't, well then, no big deal I'll meet lots of people on the cruise.

DH and I went to the anniversary party on the last cruise, met a very strange lady and her husband, and all she did was wine about getting mugged in St. Thomas on her last cruise or something like that. Anyway, does that mean I won't be going on another anniversary cruise or anniversary party. No, Of course I'll go again.

And like I said, I know people who are not CC members who are just as concerned about declining dress codes as CC poeople. So if you skip the party you might get stuck at the pool bar with on of those people.

Flame me, but seeing opinions on dress code ensures I will never sign up for a cc get together. I will find interesting people based upon the entire population of the ship.

Why would I flame you? I tend to agree with you. I am much more interested in meeting my fellow passengers in general thn the club that meets here.

If everyone would just use "common sense" when deciding what to pack and wear on a cruise and the cruise line would enforce their own rules this would never be a discussion here. Common sense tells you they asked you nicely what to wear in the evenings so you should be nice and graciously accept their guidelines. I don't buy this many don't know what "formal" is. They pretty much spell it out for you before you go. Maybe if the cruise lines would just get your measurements when you book and then have your full tux and gown outfits hanging in your stateroom you would get the picture.

They asked you nicely not rudely. Can't you be nice back?

Maybe if this subject was as important to Celebrity as it is to some of the people here they would have written the rules into the CRUISE CONTRACT where they seem to have put all the things that they really care about.:cool:

Why would I flame you? I tend to agree with you. I am much more interested in meeting my fellow passengers in general thn the club that meets here.

You seem to be a regular poster, so I guess that makes you part of the "club". The people we've met have been very nice and not any different than others you will meet. Some you will relate to better than others.:)

Maybe if this subject was as important to Celebrity as it is to some of the people here they would have written the rules into the CRUISE CONTRACT where they seem to have put all the things that they really care about.:cool:

It never occurred to me that you needed a contract for good manners, but maybe that is the way of the world now.

You seem to be a regular poster, so I guess that makes you part of the "club". The people we've met have been very nice and not any different than others you will meet. Some you will relate to better than others.:)

Ma Bell,

That was an inartuculate rant on my part. I can be frustrated by the we/they attitude on internet news groups and sadly, this can lead to my participating in it. My bad. I don't respond well to posts that contrast "civilised," "refined," or any other behavior when it is simply being held up to alienate others. I do find this board to be friendly, in general, but it seems that at times, it is self-monitored by a small group who resent anything being questioned and who have very proprietary feelings about Celebrity. I understand the urge, and presume it is because they have had pleasant experiences and don't want a bunch of infidels rushing in, asking why this or that is done a certain way. What I find harder to take is the speed with which some posters attempt to devolve the conversation to the point where anyone who inquires about something is told they won't fit it on Celebrity and they should try NCL, or, apparently the ultimate insult, Carnival. This seems a shallow response from folks whose sense of self-importance is palpable.

I passed a point some time after we booked our Celebrity cruise and after I had started reading this board, of fearing that our trip would be stuffy or a little too serene for our tastes, and that people would be as argumentative as some can be on these boards. It felt like whenever I asked a question, I was told that it's just the way it is on Celebrity or maybe I shoud try another line. I truly was no longer looking forward to the cruise, although the ports of call kept us from cancelling. Then, as happens, I realised that the internet is not a statistical sampling of those we will encounter onboard. It is a group that consists, for the most part, of Celebrity veterans and newbies. This seems a dangerous mix! Onboard, we expect there to be a more even cross-section of people available for oyur mingling.

We are not party animals and we are not nearly dead. We hope to have a nice cruise, spent among interesting or at least courteous people. We have already seen some engaging and positive people on this board, yourself included. I have noticed one person on this board who answers questions when she can and stays out of the dreck when it happens. I admire her for this and that person is Lois. I'm going to try and be a bit more like her from here on out. There are too many people making churlish remarks on the internet for me to add to them. I apologise for my earlier rant and my length here. From here on out, I will be cheerful or silent.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the people you meet. You'll find that almost everyone will be pleasant and easy to get along with. People seem to find others that they enjoy and I have never heard any discussion of dress codes etc. while on board. It seems to me that the only real problems come from those with the attitude that they will purposely try to annoy others because it is "their" vacation. Regardless of how you feel about some of the things discussed on these boards, those kind of people are not a lot of fun to be around. Luckilly, I've never had that experience on board.

If they put it in that fine print contract legal mumbo jumbo then for sure we would all be wearing jeans and shorts in the evening. I think putting in the bigger print "Before you go" or whatever they call will get more results.

And not all CC chatters attend those meetings. You could run into a "closet" member. We don't use our real names here! And besides the odds are great you will run into more people who think dressing up is better than dressing down on an X cruise. Majority rules!

I passed a point some time after we booked our Celebrity cruise and after I had started reading this board, of fearing that our trip would be stuffy or a little too serene for our tastes, and that people would be as argumentative as some can be on these boards. It felt like whenever I asked a question, I was told that it's just the way it is on Celebrity or maybe I shoud try another line. I truly was no longer looking forward to the cruise, although the ports of call kept us from cancelling. Then, as happens, I realised that the internet is not a statistical sampling of those we will encounter onboard. It is a group that consists, for the most part, of Celebrity veterans and newbies. This seems a dangerous mix! Onboard, we expect there to be a more even cross-section of people available for oyur mingling.

We are not party animals and we are not nearly dead. We hope to have a nice cruise, spent among interesting or at least courteous people.

You have chosen a great cruise line and the folks who choose to sail the line are just as nice. Enjoy the anticipation of your cruise. You are going to have a wonderful week.

If they put it in that fine print contract legal mumbo jumbo then for sure we would all be wearing jeans and shorts in the evening.

Maybe thet could slip it in right after the line that says that they make no implication as the the sea worthiness of their vessels!:eek:

That wouldn't make a bit of difference either. As an example, there IS the part in the contract about changing ports and etc. Have you read any of the threads where a port change has happened before or during their cruise? The 'contract' language goes quickly out the window in those instances.

That wouldn't make a bit of difference either. As an example, there IS the part in the contract about changing ports and etc. Have you read any of the threads where a port change has happened before or during their cruise? The 'contract' language goes quickly out the window in those instances.

excellent point

Archived