No more formal nights on X - Royal, the same?

It is several years since our last Royal cruise, almost all Celebrity cruises recently. Celebrity no longer have formal nights. Is it the same on Royal? I'm hoping not as we do enjoy formal nights. We have booked the Jewel and the Independence so it would be good to know what to expect. Thanks

It is several years since our last Royal cruise, almost all Celebrity cruises recently. Celebrity no longer have formal nights. Is it the same on Royal? I'm hoping not as we do enjoy formal nights. We have booked the Jewel and the Independence so it would be good to know what to expect. Thanks

Just got off Jewel in January after a b2b2b and there were 2 formal nights each cruise. All ships that we have been on still observe formal nights.

On Quantum Class there is no designated formal night. If you eat at The Grande restaurant, then formal attire is requested except on the first and last nights.

Hopefully, Royal will catch on as well. Totally dated concept to have formal nights. Besides, kind of stupid to get all dressed up and then go to the same place with the same passable service and mediocre food where you were able to wear Khakis and a golf shirt the night before....

Hopefully, Royal will catch on as well. Totally dated concept to have formal nights. Besides, kind of stupid to get all dressed up and then go to the same place with the same passable service and mediocre food where you were able to wear Khakis and a golf shirt the night before....

Couldn't disagree more. But, some people like it while others do not. Depending on where we go out to when we're at home decides how much we dress up as well. That's just us we like to look good and dress the part that fits the situation.

Ah well, to each their own. We shall continue to enjoy dressing up for as long as we can.

Even on Celebrity, nobody will STOP you from dressing in formal attire, if that is what you want...Under the new rules some people still do that...HOWEVER, those of us who would rather not schlepp all that formal wear packed densely into our suitcases wrinkling and taking up much needed space within limited luggage simply don't have to...

It's a casual world today. A lot of companies don't require dressing up. I say to each there own,but please don't comment on those of us who prefer not to dress up when going to the hot dinning room, then having to back and change into something more comfortable to enjoy the rest of the evening. Gary

Completely agree! Very outdated for the times. Formal night for us is very unpleasant. I look forward to vacation and not having to wear stiff, uncomfortable, formal clothes and heels that I have to wear to work every day. It's a hassle trying to get all that in the suitcase and keep it wrinkle free or have it pressed, and it's a hassle to go back to the cabin after dinner to change. I feel those who enjoy dressing up should have the choice to dress up every night if they wish, and those we prefer cruise casual should have that choice every night as well. That way we can all feel comfortable and share the same dining room.

What I find interesting is the debate of formal vs no formal. When Royal introduced the concept of dynamic dining, you now have a way of having formal night every single night of the week or not at all. However many people still complain about it as well regardless. No matter what RCL does, it's not going to please everyone 100% of the time.

Now with regards to formal night... if Royal continues moving in the direction of Dynamic Dining, there will still be nights of dressing up, but it won't be the same for everyone. You'll have a percentage of people who care about it eating on a particular night in the formal restaurant. If you're one of those that find it unpleasant, you won't eat in the formal restaurant and instead eat in any of the remaining normal dining rooms.

This thread has gone in a direction I never intended or anticipated. I simply asked if anyone could say if Royal had discontinued formal nights as its sister company, Celebrity has. It was never meant to become yet another thread on the formal v non formal argument. Thanks to cruisinfever who gave me the information I was looking for.

This thread has gone in a direction I never intended or anticipated. I simply asked if anyone could say if Royal had discontinued formal nights as its sister company, Celebrity has. It was never meant to become yet another thread on the formal v non formal argument. Thanks to cruisinfever who gave me the information I was looking for.

Wow, I had no idea Celebrity stopped formal nights....does not make sense....hope all is well with you and hubby sandancer :-)

Hiya Rolloman. Yep, Celebrity have replaced formal nights with "Evening Chic". Lots of chatter on the X forum. Apparantly designer jeans are the thing to wear now. I wonder if they have someone at the door of the MDR checking labels. Cheers.

I am surprised that Celebrity ditched formal night before RCI did. X is the line that went so far in the other direction as to designate all public areas of the ship formal on that night whereas RCI applied it to the dining room only. That is quite a turn around for Celebrity.

Here the thing that bother me the most. You can rant on me all I want but just making a statement. If you go to a wedding will you be formal or not? If you chose formal then you shouldn't be tired of dressing formal If you choose not formal, I have no idea what kind of person you are. On anthem there is only one restaurant is formal but no tie need. Just bring one formal outfit and show your pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Here the thing that bother me the most. You can rant on me all I want but just making a statement. If you go to a wedding will you be formal or not? If you chose formal then you shouldn't be tired of dressing formal If you choose not formal, I have no idea what kind of person you are. On anthem there is only one restaurant is formal but no tie need. Just bring one formal outfit and show your pride.

I don't pay a few grand to go to a wedding for a week [emoji51] [emoji568]

Even on Celebrity, nobody will STOP you from dressing in formal attire, if that is what you want...Under the new rules some people still do that...HOWEVER, those of us who would rather not schlepp all that formal wear packed densely into our suitcases wrinkling and taking up much needed space within limited luggage simply don't have to...

Exactly. People always act like "No More Formal Nights" means they are prevented from wearing their formal stuff.

But it just means that people who DON'T want to dress up don't have to.

You're not going to be thrown in the brig for wearing formal wear any night your little heart desires.

It depends on the wedding. Not all weddings are formal attire. MANY are simply dressy or smart casual.

It's a casual world today. A lot of companies don't require dressing up. I say to each there own,but please don't comment on those of us who prefer not to dress up when going to the hot dinning room, then having to back and change into something more comfortable to enjoy the rest of the evening. Gary

If you can comment on being casual I sure can comment on being formal !:p