Booked and Excited - Crown Princess June 2016

GadgetRick

So the wife and I decided to finally do the Alaska cruise. Going with friends of ours this June.

Now, as you already know, it's an expensive trip overall (at least from Florida--where we live), so we'd like to maximize the excursions we do. With that said, we're looking for reputable places to book excursions NOT through the cruise line--we're on the Crown Princess on their 7-day cruise. We'll be hitting the following ports:

Juneau - 11am - 10:30pm

Skagway - 7am - 8:15pm

Ketchikan - 7am - 1:15pm

Victoria - 7pm - 11:59pm

We definitely plan on the train ride I've heard so much about. I understand it's not much more expensive through Princess?

We want to really experience the glaciers. We have a day of cruising through Glacier Bay National Park but I've heard we can get to another glacier(s) from one of the ports.

We want to experience as much of Alaska as we can on short ports of call. Not interested in the, "shopping," experience. But do plan on exploring any interesting towns with any time we have available. We'd love to experience good LOCAL restaurants. Not the touristy stuff by the port.

Anyway, looking for suggestions and ways to save some money on excursions. They're REALLY EXPENSIVE through the cruise line.

Thanks.

Have you looked down the board? Each port is covered extensively, with recommended tour vendors and do it yourself options. On the low budget side, you would see you can go to a glacier by transit bus in Juneau, or fly to one- obviously more expensive.

So the wife and I decided to finally do the Alaska cruise. Going with friends of ours this June.

Now, as you already know, it's an expensive trip overall (at least from Florida--where we live), so we'd like to maximize the excursions we do. With that said, we're looking for reputable places to book excursions NOT through the cruise line--we're on the Crown Princess on their 7-day cruise. We'll be hitting the following ports:

Juneau - 11am - 10:30pm

Skagway - 7am - 8:15pm

Ketchikan - 7am - 1:15pm

Victoria - 7pm - 11:59pm

We definitely plan on the train ride I've heard so much about. I understand it's not much more expensive through Princess?

We want to really experience the glaciers. We have a day of cruising through Glacier Bay National Park but I've heard we can get to another glacier(s) from one of the ports.

We want to experience as much of Alaska as we can on short ports of call. Not interested in the, "shopping," experience. But do plan on exploring any interesting towns with any time we have available. We'd love to experience good LOCAL restaurants. Not the touristy stuff by the port.

Anyway, looking for suggestions and ways to save some money on excursions. They're REALLY EXPENSIVE through the cruise line.

Thanks.

Being you don't want to book through the cruiseline, you still need to at least take a look at your shore excursion list and further narrow down your interests.

The "train" is in Skagway- there are several options- round trip, 2 one way routes Fraser, Lake Bennett. With the one ways, various Klondike Highway distances and inclusions. Take your time and be sure to know the details of what you are looking at for an informed choice. I suggest, determine what you want with the train- first, then figure out your road option.

Mendenhall Glacier is road accessible for viewing out of Juneau. There is a dock shuttle bus for $30pp, popular is walking the Nugget Falls trail, which needs an hour. this leaves from the tram parking lot, with kiosks on the sidewalk for ticket purchases. There are numerous additional options with flight seeing and whale watching- with Mendenhall- cobook these to avoid an hour of backtracking.

However- this is not the Caribbean- most of the time the savings is small, but it can be superior booking direct as you have all your information first hand. Although some have no savings, the tours can be longer and have smaller groups and superior tours.

You may want to consider getting the "most" out of Glacier Bay which means long hours on outside decks. Be well prepared in your attire, and always have your binoculars with you. :) I can give further details if needed.

My suggestion is to take the ship's train tour in Skagway. I have read, on this forum, instances where there were issues with the busses and this way you are protected in case late getting back to port.

In Glacier Bay the ship will rotate to give everyone an opportunity to view the glaciers. When facing the glaciers, we are on our balcony. When the ship turns, we are up on deck. You need to be quiet to listen for the roars coming off the glaciers as they crack. Definitely binoculars to watch for any calving.

If wildlife is your thing, a good POC to go whale watching is Juneau.

My suggestion is to take the ship's train tour in Skagway. I have read, on this forum, instances where there were issues with the busses and this way you are protected in case late getting back to port.

Sorry, I consider this poor advice. They have an 8:15p departure time, what "bus" is going to be coming back that late????? The late trains- have the bus taking them to the train- FIRST. Pretty simple to schedule an independent combo tour without this misguided "fear" myth.

We booked the train through Princess and it was great, we boarded right from the ship. There was indeed a bus that had mechanical issues and almost missed the ship, and since it was an independent vendor those passengers would have missed the boat literally. It's not worth the few dollars you might save, at least in my book. Peace of mind equals a great vacation.

Excellent info so far! Thanks so much!

I hadn't really thought about binoculars. But glad you have mentioned it. I'm a photographer by trade and will be bringing some gear but should pick up a good set of binoculars.

We plan on being above on the deck for the glacier cruise. I'm originally from up North and can handle the cold for long periods. We'll also be dressed appropriately. :)

I am wondering if I might be able to find a good spot to set up a couple of time lapse cameras for this part. Thought it would be cool to get a time lapse video cruising through the glaciers.

Will also look at all of the excursions and decide which we're considering then we can make a more-informed decision of whom to book through. Thanks for that advice as well.

I appreciate you all taking the time to answer my question(s).