Tolls from Ft Lauderdale to Ft Myers

sunfan03

Renting a car at FLL airport pre-cruise and spending a few days in Ft. Myers before returning to Port Everglades.

Just remembered about cashless tolls - we're taking I-75. Is that cashless so we should get Dollar Rent a car's Platepass? Suggestions?

Renting a car at FLL airport pre-cruise and spending a few days in Ft. Myers before returning to Port Everglades.

Just remembered about cashless tolls - we're taking I-75. Is that cashless so we should get Dollar Rent a car's Platepass? Suggestions?

I think it is only $1 or so when you round the bend and enter the Everglades.

Yes, get the platepass because they'll charge you a fortune (rental car company) if you don't.

You can buy a transponder at Publix but I think even that is $5 then you have to put a minimum of $10 on it.

According to the toll calculator on the SunPass website (https://www.sunpass.com/tollcalculator), cash is still taken on I-75 and it looks like the toll is $3 (if I did the calculation correctly!). Given that it says "you could save $.10 by using SunPass" it definitely sounds like you won't need it. Dollar would probably charge much more than that for the admin costs.

It sure would be nice if Florida joined the rest of the east coast and used the EZ-Pass transponder that is good from Maine to South Carolina!

Agreed - right now North Carolina and Georgia accept the SunPass. I remembered hearing that the federal government was requiring interoperability. I found this story http://www.king5.com/story/news/traffic/2015/11/10/national-toll-pass/75499042/, that states:

Now Congress wants toll agencies nationwide to adopt a single model that would work in any state so that drivers would not need to purchase multiple passes.

As part of a 2012 transportation law known as MAP21, lawmakers required toll agencies to be interoperable nationwide by October 2016.

The International Bridge Tunnel and Turnpike Association, a toll industry association, is leading the effort to comply with the law.

IBTTA plans to select the model for the national pass by October 2016 to begin full implementation, not in time for adoption by 2016.

"So it won't be like on October 2016 we flip a switch and everybody is happy," Jones said. "It's going to take several years. It's a process of transition."

Rep. Mica has expressed disappointment with the toll industry's progress.

"I was a little bit concerned," Mica said. "We are coming up on one year to the deadline and I heard it wasn't coming together."

Mica is now threatening to introduce a penalty for states that don't comply with the unfunded mandate.

"So they know I mean business," Mica said. "That's the law and I want the law complied with and I think the consumer will like the convenience. The interstate is a national highway system and we set the parameters for use of that and sometimes you have to comply."

According to the toll calculator on the SunPass website (https://www.sunpass.com/tollcalculator), cash is still taken on I-75 and it looks like the toll is $3 (if I did the calculation correctly!). Given that it says "you could save $.10 by using SunPass" it definitely sounds like you won't need it. Dollar would probably charge much more than that for the admin costs.

I forgot the toll stations take cash! I usually fly through them because I have a transponder.

To the OP, I would just pay cash.

It sure would be nice if Florida joined the rest of the east coast and used the EZ-Pass transponder that is good from Maine to South Carolina!

EZPass is not accepted in SC. No real need to use a toll road here as there are only a couple that are avoided pretty easy, but don't want folks to think they can use it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Back from our trip and wanted to share.

We ended getting the Plate Pass from Dollar to avoid any misunderstandings and extra billings/fees since we've read that it's happened to others.

That being said, when we were there last week, you could indeed pay cash heading from FLL to Ft. Myers and vice versa - just make sure you're in the correct lane.

Also, to get onto Sanibel Island, you could also pay cash.