Ahhhhh. Decisions, Decisions

Floridastorm

My wife and I are not frequent cruise passengers. Being retired I have to watch our budget. However, we have been on two cruises over the last 5 years. Celebrity Equinox out of Barcelona via the Mediterranean and Holland America Ryndam out of FT. Lauderdale via Canada. Both ships and service were magnificent. On the Equinox were able to get a very good price on a balcony cabin. On the Ryndam we had an oceanview cabin. Just not able to afford a much higher classifications.

That being said we are looking at a transatlantic (repositioning) cruise out of one of the Florida ports. We do have enough frequent flyer miles to fly back from Europe basically for free. I just feel that the transatlantic cruises are the best value for the cost and most are between 13 and 15 days.

Celebrity has the Silhouette and Eclipse to London, the Constellation to Rome and the Equinox to Barcelona. Princess has the Emerald to London. Norwegian has the Star to Copenhagen. Royal Caribbean has the Brilliance of the Seas to Barcelona. We are looking at an oceanview cabin. But, on the Silhouette, Eclipse, and Equinox, the balcony cabins are only a little bit more than the oceanview's.

We both have a preference to see Lisbon, but also I have a preference to see Copenhagen. These are just preferences and not must do.

Now, since we have to make a decision shortly, as these ships mostly depart in April or early May, can any of you experienced transatlantic travelers give me some advice. Which ships, types of cabins, etc. By the way, neither my wife nor I are ever sea sick. I'm a US Navy veteran, so the sea is in my blood.

Thanks to all for any and all information provided.

We came across From Venice to Fort Lauderdale on the Ruby Princess in November a few years ago and loved it. Ports are a personal preference but I liked Copenhagen much more than Lisbon but I am sure others would prefer it the other way around. We had a balcony and were on the wrong side of the ship as our room faced the sun the whole way. The room never cooled down at night and some afternoons it was too hot to sit on the balcony, something to keep in mind. We followed the gulf stream all the way across and had beautiful weather, and not a ripple on the water the whole way across.

Transatlantic cruises often seem to be a great value if you are retired or are able to be away from home for a little longer.

Good luck on your choice, I don't believe you can go wrong with any decision.

You're right about T/As and getting the best price. we usually book an ocean view cabin also. We've done four T/As, love them and always spend a few days extra relaxing and touring the city. Our first was West to East leaving Ft. Lauderdale and sailing to Barcelona. Bummer. You start off with 6 days at sea and lose an hour each day. By the sixth day you are having dinner at 1:00pm body time. Also if you try booking now for an April or May cruise you probably will not get a suitable cabin at this late date. You're retired, relax and book a Fall trip from Barcelona back to the states. You will gain an hour each day after the first week and that can be used to extend Happy Hour. You can get a good rate at the Hotel Continental although it has some quirks that can be overlooked because it has free wine and beer and food 24 hours a day. Oh, free ice cream too. If that fails to float your boat try Ramblas Hotel on La Ramblas. Try to book seventh floor or above on the rear of the building. Great Views!

Sounds like you are leaning towards Celebrity for a balcony.

Book whichever ship has the best cabin location/price.

Regardless of which city in Europe is your preference, just remember that air travel within Europe is very cheap, if you keep luggage to a minimum, so you can spend a few days in the cities of your choice.

Go for it, and enjoy your retirement.

My wife and I are not frequent cruise passengers. Being retired I have to watch our budget. However, we have been on two cruises over the last 5 years. Celebrity Equinox out of Barcelona via the Mediterranean and Holland America Ryndam out of FT. Lauderdale via Canada. Both ships and service were magnificent. On the Equinox were able to get a very good price on a balcony cabin. On the Ryndam we had an oceanview cabin. Just not able to afford a much higher classifications.

That being said we are looking at a transatlantic (repositioning) cruise out of one of the Florida ports. We do have enough frequent flyer miles to fly back from Europe basically for free. I just feel that the transatlantic cruises are the best value for the cost and most are between 13 and 15 days.

Celebrity has the Silhouette and Eclipse to London, the Constellation to Rome and the Equinox to Barcelona. Princess has the Emerald to London. Norwegian has the Star to Copenhagen. Royal Caribbean has the Brilliance of the Seas to Barcelona. We are looking at an oceanview cabin. But, on the Silhouette, Eclipse, and Equinox, the balcony cabins are only a little bit more than the oceanview's.

We both have a preference to see Lisbon, but also I have a preference to see Copenhagen. These are just preferences and not must do.

Now, since we have to make a decision shortly, as these ships mostly depart in April or early May, can any of you experienced transatlantic travelers give me some advice. Which ships, types of cabins, etc. By the way, neither my wife nor I are ever sea sick. I'm a US Navy veteran, so the sea is in my blood.

Thanks to all for any and all information provided.

A touch late in the game to be looking for FF air tix on direct or other favorable routes.

Nonetheless, Lisbon is a "must do."

If you're looking at lines like Celebrity, aim higher and consider Oceania. Don't compare cabin costs. Rather, compare net daily rates because O includes airfare (or air credit), beverages, specialty restaurants, etc and with new "O Life" perks, you get free internet, and a choice of included alcohol, excursions or OBC (beyond your TA's added perks).

Celebrity has the Silhouette and Eclipse to London, the Constellation to Rome and the Equinox to Barcelona. Princess has the Emerald to London. Norwegian has the Star to Copenhagen. Royal Caribbean has the Brilliance of the Seas to Barcelona.

I'm familiar with all these ship classes. I think you are spot on by considering Celebrity. Personally, I would pick the Equinox to Barcelona. Barcelona is an excellent ending spot. So, my second choice would be the Brilliance.

After that, my 3rd and 4th picks would be Eclipse and Silhouette. I just cruised Eclipse in December and I was blown away with how they improved their on board entertainment.

Princess is ok, but I'm not a huge fan of their ships. To me, they feel crowded. NCL, I would avoid altogether. My worst cruise experiences have been on NCL. I cruised Star's sister ship, Dawn, and I hated that ship. Never again.

Edited by Aquahound

Sounds like you are leaning towards Celebrity for a balcony.

Book whichever ship has the best cabin location/price.

Regardless of which city in Europe is your preference, just remember that air travel within Europe is very cheap, if you keep luggage to a minimum, so you can spend a few days in the cities of your choice.

Go for it, and enjoy your retirement.

I actually have a preference to see Copenhagen. It's just that I've seen most of the southern Mediterranean ports both as a civilian and in the US Navy. Have also only been to Amsterdam, London, and most of Europe. Have never been to the Scandinavian countries. So, possibly the NCL Star may suit our purpose. I also love Bermuda which is the first stop. Do you know much about Punta Delgada. All I know is that it's an island and is part of Portugal.

Edited by Floridastorm

I'm familiar with all these ship classes. I think you are spot on by considering Celebrity. Personally, I would pick the Equinox to Barcelona. Barcelona is an excellent ending spot. So, my second choice would be the Brilliance.

After that, my 3rd and 4th picks would be Eclipse and Silhouette. I just cruised Eclipse in December and I was blown away with how they improved their on board entertainment.

Princess is ok, but I'm not a huge fan of their ships. To me, they feel crowded. NCL, I would avoid altogether. My worst cruise experiences have been on NCL. I cruised Star's sister ship, Dawn, and I hated that ship. Never again.

Truly appreciated your response which actually answered my inquiry. Thank You. The Equinox is a beautiful ship, as we have already sailed with her. And, the price for a balcony is outstanding. The same price as an inside. Unfortunately we already spent a couple of weeks before and after the Equinox cruise in Barcelona. Also got to Madrid. Two of the most beautiful and efficient cities in the world. Of course, we would not mind going back. The Brilliance is also out of Tampa about 75 miles from our home. I'm not a big fan of Rome so the Constellation is probably out. Eclipse looks fairly good as it stops in Bermuda and Lisbon two places both my wife and I are interested in. And the price for a balcony is almost the same as an inside. I guess I would like to visit my British cousin in London. And, London is so easy to get a non stop flight to Orlando. Is it not incredible that we Americans have so many choices and the ability to actually go on excursions. 3/4 of the world is wondering where their next meal is coming from if at all.

A touch late in the game to be looking for FF air tix on direct or other favorable routes.

Nonetheless, Lisbon is a "must do."

If you're looking at lines like Celebrity, aim higher and consider Oceania. Don't compare cabin costs. Rather, compare net daily rates because O includes airfare (or air credit), beverages, specialty restaurants, etc and with new "O Life" perks, you get free internet, and a choice of included alcohol, excursions or OBC (beyond your TA's added perks).

As much as I would like to take advantage of one of the luxury lines, like Oceania, we just have other priorities in our budget. We don't even consider anything more expensive than a discounted balcony on the mainline ships. Yes, we can afford better cabins and better ships. But, that would bust our budget which I am not in favor of. Maybe someday.

Transatlantics are a great bargain.

We love the rear facing aft cabins on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

Are the rear facing cabins readily available? I would not imagine that these cabins are sold as guaranteed. Do they generally cost more than comparable cabins on the port, starboard, and bow? Things like anchor raising/lowering and the rumble of the engines does not bother my wife or me.

Edited by Floridastorm

If you do make it to Lisbon, there is a charming medieval town named Obidos about an hour north of Lisbon that is worth a visit. Last Fall, friends and I were doing a TA from Barcelona to FLL, and on our port day in Lisbon, that's where we went. I pre-arranged for a Lisbon taxi company to drive us there. A lovely lady was our driver/guide, and she narrated the history of the area as we traveled. After our visit in Obidos, she took us back to Lisbon and in the heart of the city we had a lovely lunch, with local wines, in a locals restaurant. It was a delightful day off the beaten tourist path.

Just a thought for you!!

You're right about T/As and getting the best price. we usually book an ocean view cabin also. We've done four T/As, love them and always spend a few days extra relaxing and touring the city. Our first was West to East leaving Ft. Lauderdale and sailing to Barcelona. Bummer. You start off with 6 days at sea and lose an hour each day. By the sixth day you are having dinner at 1:00pm body time. Also if you try booking now for an April or May cruise you probably will not get a suitable cabin at this late date. You're retired, relax and book a Fall trip from Barcelona back to the states. You will gain an hour each day after the first week and that can be used to extend Happy Hour. You can get a good rate at the Hotel Continental although it has some quirks that can be overlooked because it has free wine and beer and food 24 hours a day. Oh, free ice cream too. If that fails to float your boat try Ramblas Hotel on La Ramblas. Try to book seventh floor or above on the rear of the building. Great Views!

You would think that the cruise lines would change the time upon arrival at the final port destination. After all, airlines don't change their time every 600 miles (time zones are 600 miles wide). They would be changing times every hour. But, then again, what do I know.

If you do make it to Lisbon, there is a charming medieval town named Obidos about an hour north of Lisbon that is worth a visit. Last Fall, friends and I were doing a TA from Barcelona to FLL, and on our port day in Lisbon, that's where we went. I pre-arranged for a Lisbon taxi company to drive us there. A lovely lady was our driver/guide, and she narrated the history of the area as we traveled. After our visit in Obidos, she took us back to Lisbon and in the heart of the city we had a lovely lunch, with local wines, in a locals restaurant. It was a delightful day off the beaten tourist path.

Just a thought for you!!

I will keep this in mind. Really would like to visit Lisbon but would like to spend a week there and not just one day, although one full day would be better than none.

Being a born planner and organizer I research things to death before solidifying something like a TA cruise. I don't like surprises and I don't like paying for things that I have not planned for. When I look at the big picture, here is what I see from a combination of folks on this forum and my You tube reviews.

Since the actual ship itself, restaurants, bars, amenities, and ports, is not as important to me as the cabin:

Celebrity ships, IMO, have the best layouts for their Inside, Ocean View, and Balcony, cabins. They seem to have the most usable space and placement of the furnishings. They all have either love seats or Sofas, a big plus for my wife and myself. W loved the Equinox balcony cabin that we had for 14 days in the Mediterranean.

Princess Emerald, although having fairly comparable cabins to Celebrity, do not have either love seats or sofas in their cabins. Only straight back chairs. A big negative for us since, unlike a lot of folks, we spend probably half of our time at sea in the cabin. It's our home away from home and not a place just to sleep.

Norwegian Star is not a ship that I would want to spend a lot of time aboard. The cabins, not only don't have love seats or sofas. they seem to be small and cramped. I also don't care for the ship's facilities which seem to be kind of gaudy. At least that is what I am seeing in the videos. Star does end up in Copenhagen, however, a port I would love to see.

Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas is a nice ship. They do have nice cabins, that are fully equipped as we like them, and they go out of Tampa which is close by, but am not really a fan of the itinerary considering we've been to Barcelona twice for a couple of weeks each time.

I think the Constellation may be out due to ending in Rome, a place I'm not fond of. Also, since we've already been aboard Equinox and they also end up in Barcelona, we may want to try another ship although I think that the Equinox is one of the best ships just about anywhere.

Actually, the Silhouette or the Eclipse may be our best best. Excellent cabins, Celebrity class, and stopping in Lisbon and ending in London, a port that I can deal with as I've been there many times. The Eclipse may be the favored ship as it stops in Bermuda (I like Bermuda), Lisbon, and London. These two ships also have the best prices for IS, OV, and Bal.

So, that is were I stand at present. Believe I still have time to get booked in a decent cabin. I do know how to select preferred cabins as we are very averse to on board noise and disturbances. :D